HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

#26: Capitals at Flyers - December 5, 2009 - 7:00 PM (ET)

Closed Thread

Old
12-06-2009, 12:58 AM
freakydallas13

vCash: 500
is there a link to lav's post game? video, or even just what he said? I can't seem to find it.

Old
12-06-2009, 01:01 AM
Unstable

Emery was not played too much early, we had a ton of rest days.

I read some stuff at the start of the season suggesting that Ray was still feeling friendly towards some, uh, substances. A lot has gone on this week and there are plenty of reasons he might look like a "zombie" but there is a very real possibility that he has not left his "personal" issues behind him. If that's the case, that would be 100% on him, and I think we would need to trade for a goalie at once.

Old
12-06-2009, 01:09 AM
Mr Oysterhead

Read what stuff?

Old
12-06-2009, 01:13 AM
Unstable

Nothing even vaguely credible. Comments on blogs, that sort of thing.

Old
12-06-2009, 01:17 AM
Amateur Hour

Looks like I made the right decision in not watching this one. What a laughing stock of a hockey team. At least they have time to figure **** out. And they will figure **** out, I firmly believe that.

Old
12-06-2009, 01:35 AM
nosnhoj

Quote:
Originally Posted by harakiri View Post
Look out guys..

The leafs are gaining on us!
Sadly we're only 4 pts ahead. Currently 12th in the conference, 26th in the league. Hahahahaha.

Old
12-06-2009, 01:43 AM
nosnhoj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules801 View Post
I just saw that.He asked if he was hurt and he said "Good enough to play a game". What was the next question? That's where Ray just looked at him and walked away without answering.
I didn't hear it but I think the guy asked him something like "So, what's been going wrong? Why is this happening?" and then Emery just walked off. Which is a TERRIBLE sign that is almost if not worse than his ****** performances as of late.

Old
12-06-2009, 01:45 AM
Komarov47

wow what a terrible start for Laviolette, how the hell a team with such talented players can play that bad?

Old
12-06-2009, 01:50 AM
Mr Oysterhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Big Bear View Post
wow what a terrible start for Laviolette, how the hell a team with such talented players can play that bad?
its been happening a lot lately...

Old
12-06-2009, 03:46 AM
Readyrock
(・_・;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Caps: 9 minute PP.
I logged in just to note my astonishment.

Old
12-06-2009, 03:52 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Big Bear View Post
If you ask me, probably the two biggest reasons why we sucked tonight was not because of Laviolette, but because of Emery and Carcillo. Emery can't stop a puck and Carcillo can't control himself and screws over the entire team. Both should not play for a good while, Boosh has been handling himself well enough, so let him ****ing play.

Old
12-06-2009, 07:31 AM
ph

The loss is on Carcillo. You can not put your team in a position where they are on the PK for nearly half a period. Although, I'm pretty sure #3 on the mites could have scored on either Emery or Boucher last nite.

Old
12-06-2009, 07:53 AM
ArmchairGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosnhoj View Post
I didn't hear it but I think the guy asked him something like "So, what's been going wrong? Why is this happening?" and then Emery just walked off. Which is a TERRIBLE sign that is almost if not worse than his ****** performances as of late.
It's obvious why this is happening though. You don't play any games and not only does your confidence shrink, but you are no longer sharp. You get scored on in the first minute and you confidence shrinks even more. The first 5 minutes are the most important time for a goalie, at least in my opinion. Emery knows he is playing like ****, so why even ask him. Would you ask a baseball player who had three errors in a game, "So why did you have three errors today, what wrong with you"?

I know he's supposed to act professionally and answer all the questions, but I have no problem with him walking away on that one.

** Just watched it, that was ridiculous. Somethings wrong with him. His confidence a swagger is all gone.

Last edited by ArmchairGM: 12-06-2009 at 08:19 AM.
Old
12-06-2009, 08:07 AM
Flyman

Send a message via MSN to Flyman
Poor Laviolette...This first game as head coach of the Flyers must have demonstrated to him the enormity of the task ahead of him.
This team is so anchored in its old bad habits that it will take time to get rid of all that crap and implement a new dynamic and Lavy's new system (welll...Errr....a system, period! ).

Several things really pissed me off last night:
- First: Emery. I like the guy, really. I still think he is a good fit for this hockey club. His temper, his anger, his ultra-competitiveness, his athleticism...all very good things to succeed in Philly. He had a great start but all of a sudden...it went in the clouds and he started to play poorly. OK, to his credit, the whole ******* in front of him, Prongs excepted, played crap and didn't help him. But still, there is an issue here. Yesterday night, he was ultra slow, looked like a slouch...I read in the press that he was receiving treatment after the game. Would he be injured? That would explain some poor performances...
Anyway, we need a WAY better Emery to succeed this year.

- Second: Carcillo. How in hell this guy can make such a nice play to bring on Pyörälä's goal and then, 10mins later, have a heck of a brain cramp??? Because, yeah, it WAS a cheap shot! I was kinda shocked to see some people on this board defending him last night night. To punch a guy in the face, knocking him out cold, when he's not even ready to fight and can't protect him, is absolutely stupid and careless. The penalties were justified but all this circus lead to this horrendous 9min-PP that just sucked our life and killed us right away. One bloody brain cramp just ruined the whole team! He should be suspended, due to his history in the league, and if by miracle he's not, well, Lavy should scratch him for the next game, to burn some behaviour in his brain!
It's a shame because Carcillo had a good season so far, he stayed away from the penalty box, was effective along the boards...

- Third: the lack of effort. This is probably the most disturbing part. I wasn't expecting a complete turnaround all of a sudden. It was just the first game under Laviolette, he just had the morning skate to introduce himself and say hello. But still, during the first period, I didn't see a TEAM playing, I saw 18 guys playing on their own. There was no system, guys were skating everywhere. Several times, some almost collided with teammates on the ice as they were trying to get the same puck...Carter was invisible, and when he came back to life, he was shooting wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide, as usual...Richards wasn't the Richards we know. The Dmen were going into neutral zone without any solutions to them. Guys up front were spread out....so what did they do? the usual Dump & Chase...so ineffective! Old habits are tough to get rid of.
Then, then, came this awfully long PP time...Caps firepower just destroyed the team during these minutes. It just sucked the life out of the team. Guys totally gave up after the first 2 goals but as Chris Pronger said, as tough as it was, we should have pulled our fingers out of our a$$es and kill this PP time. We can afford to be so lazy!!

Fourth: Carter & Richards. This week, I read some articles in the press that really worried me. To read that Richards was "very upset" with Stevens being fired, that he was, according to Homer, "almost devastated" by the news....I mean, what kind of player is that??? What kind of captain is that??? It was the first time he had his coach fired but it won't be the last! He better get used to it! This is the NHL, for **** sake, not daddy's beer league. He is a professional hockey player, captain of his team at 24, then he has to lead by example. He should be the VERY FIRST guy in this team to go in line behind the new guy in charge, and shut the ******** up about the rest. But since Pronger's arrival in the locker room, we can clearly see who's the boss in there. Chris is a true leader, a respected veteran, a guy who has won it all or so. On the other side, Mike is acting like a bloody capricious crybaby, not happy because Hitchcock was too hard on them so they revolted and got rid of him, then upset because his buddy of a coach is gone...I mean, WTF?? There was also the epic episode on the one-word only exchange with the press when some reporters were questioning his nightly life style. Very grown up, Mike, very grown up for a captain...
Then there is Jeff Carter. A player I really like. And a player who really frustrates me to being so inconsistent. Last season, he was dominant, firing the puck from everywhere and netting goals like crazy. This season, he doesn't look concerned at all by what happens. Both Richie and him are regurgitating the same stinky speech after each loss "it's just one game, no harm done". Oh yes, there is guys!! This is were the biggest problem lies: the complacent attitude of the coach, who never shouted at them, never lit a fire under their a$$es when needed, never instilled them this winning culture that makes the great players becoming the greatests, and average teams becoming championship teams. And this complacent attitude from Stevens went right into Carter and Richie's brain...hence why there is no real revolt when they lose a game....hence why we lost the home ice advantage last spring. This was a shame, and this shame is still present today. I really hope Laviolette will succeed in shaking the two of them, getting back down to earth, getting back them to WORK their a$$ off ON the ice, OFF the ice. If not...well...I'm afraid we'll have to part ways with two guys that have a bright set of skills but maybe not the required work ethic to succeed. And it will be a waste if we have to reach this point...

All in all, Laviolette will need time to shake this team. But I'm afraid our dreams of touching some silverware this season have gone through the toilets last night...

Old
12-06-2009, 08:41 AM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 844
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
The guys were afraid. They were extremely afraid to make mistakes, and as a result we didn't play to our capabilities, and Washington stomped us. You could see it in warm-ups, all the guys were extremely up-tight, and weren't doing their usual laughing and talking amongst them. They realized they are the ones on the hot seat now, and were nervous in front of Peter.

Old
12-06-2009, 09:05 AM
PhillyFan4Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyman View Post
Poor Laviolette...This first game as head coach of the Flyers must have demonstrated to him the enormity of the task ahead of him.
This team is so anchored in its old bad habits that it will take time to get rid of all that crap and implement a new dynamic and Lavy's new system (welll...Errr....a system, period! ).

Several things really pissed me off last night:
- First: Emery. I like the guy, really. I still think he is a good fit for this hockey club. His temper, his anger, his ultra-competitiveness, his athleticism...all very good things to succeed in Philly. He had a great start but all of a sudden...it went in the clouds and he started to play poorly. OK, to his credit, the whole ******* in front of him, Prongs excepted, played crap and didn't help him. But still, there is an issue here. Yesterday night, he was ultra slow, looked like a slouch...I read in the press that he was receiving treatment after the game. Would he be injured? That would explain some poor performances...
Anyway, we need a WAY better Emery to succeed this year.

- Second: Carcillo. How in hell this guy can make such a nice play to bring on Pyörälä's goal and then, 10mins later, have a heck of a brain cramp??? Because, yeah, it WAS a cheap shot! I was kinda shocked to see some people on this board defending him last night night. To punch a guy in the face, knocking him out cold, when he's not even ready to fight and can't protect him, is absolutely stupid and careless. The penalties were justified but all this circus lead to this horrendous 9min-PP that just sucked our life and killed us right away. One bloody brain cramp just ruined the whole team! He should be suspended, due to his history in the league, and if by miracle he's not, well, Lavy should scratch him for the next game, to burn some behaviour in his brain!
It's a shame because Carcillo had a good season so far, he stayed away from the penalty box, was effective along the boards...

- Third: the lack of effort. This is probably the most disturbing part. I wasn't expecting a complete turnaround all of a sudden. It was just the first game under Laviolette, he just had the morning skate to introduce himself and say hello. But still, during the first period, I didn't see a TEAM playing, I saw 18 guys playing on their own. There was no system, guys were skating everywhere. Several times, some almost collided with teammates on the ice as they were trying to get the same puck...Carter was invisible, and when he came back to life, he was shooting wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide, as usual...Richards wasn't the Richards we know. The Dmen were going into neutral zone without any solutions to them. Guys up front were spread out....so what did they do? the usual Dump & Chase...so ineffective! Old habits are tough to get rid of.
Then, then, came this awfully long PP time...Caps firepower just destroyed the team during these minutes. It just sucked the life out of the team. Guys totally gave up after the first 2 goals but as Chris Pronger said, as tough as it was, we should have pulled our fingers out of our a$$es and kill this PP time. We can afford to be so lazy!!

Fourth: Carter & Richards. This week, I read some articles in the press that really worried me. To read that Richards was "very upset" with Stevens being fired, that he was, according to Homer, "almost devastated" by the news....I mean, what kind of player is that??? What kind of captain is that??? It was the first time he had his coach fired but it won't be the last! He better get used to it! This is the NHL, for **** sake, not daddy's beer league. He is a professional hockey player, captain of his team at 24, then he has to lead by example. He should be the VERY FIRST guy in this team to go in line behind the new guy in charge, and shut the ******** up about the rest. But since Pronger's arrival in the locker room, we can clearly see who's the boss in there. Chris is a true leader, a respected veteran, a guy who has won it all or so. On the other side, Mike is acting like a bloody capricious crybaby, not happy because Hitchcock was too hard on them so they revolted and got rid of him, then upset because his buddy of a coach is gone...I mean, WTF?? There was also the epic episode on the one-word only exchange with the press when some reporters were questioning his nightly life style. Very grown up, Mike, very grown up for a captain...
Then there is Jeff Carter. A player I really like. And a player who really frustrates me to being so inconsistent. Last season, he was dominant, firing the puck from everywhere and netting goals like crazy. This season, he doesn't look concerned at all by what happens. Both Richie and him are regurgitating the same stinky speech after each loss "it's just one game, no harm done". Oh yes, there is guys!! This is were the biggest problem lies: the complacent attitude of the coach, who never shouted at them, never lit a fire under their a$$es when needed, never instilled them this winning culture that makes the great players becoming the greatests, and average teams becoming championship teams. And this complacent attitude from Stevens went right into Carter and Richie's brain...hence why there is no real revolt when they lose a game....hence why we lost the home ice advantage last spring. This was a shame, and this shame is still present today. I really hope Laviolette will succeed in shaking the two of them, getting back down to earth, getting back them to WORK their a$$ off ON the ice, OFF the ice. If not...well...I'm afraid we'll have to part ways with two guys that have a bright set of skills but maybe not the required work ethic to succeed. And it will be a waste if we have to reach this point...

All in all, Laviolette will need time to shake this team. But I'm afraid our dreams of touching some silverware this season have gone through the toilets last night...

Old
12-06-2009, 09:05 AM

After yesterday, i'm fine with us trading Carcillo. What a complete *****, the entire defeat rests on him and him alone. Not only did he cost us the three PP goals, he made us push forward relentlessly giving up the rest.

Piss off Carcillo.

Old
12-06-2009, 09:06 AM
Kaktus*

Flyers still gave up 5 ES goals and 3 PP goals..

They are **** on PP and PK, they are **** on ES as well. Goaltending **** too. Shots on goal? Who give a ****? There were maybe 2-3 good scoring chances. This team plays scared.

A yeah, 1st bad game by Carcillo... ****er got over excited.

I can not believe I wasted my $ going to the game.. WTF was I thinking..

Old
12-06-2009, 09:15 AM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post

They are **** on PP and PK, they are **** on ES as well. Goaltending **** too. Shots on goal? Who give a ****? There were maybe 2-3 good scoring chances. This team plays scared.

That's an under-statement.

Old
12-06-2009, 09:15 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosnhoj View Post
Sadly we're only 4 pts ahead. Currently 12th in the conference, 26th in the league. Hahahahaha.
That Leafs team everyone was making fun of in October -- we're also only 4 points ahead.

Old
12-06-2009, 09:17 AM
PhillyFan4Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1865 View Post
After yesterday, i'm fine with us trading Carcillo. What a complete *****, the entire defeat rests on him and him alone. Not only did he cost us the three PP goals, he made us push forward relentlessly giving up the rest.

Piss off Carcillo.
so lets take away his penalties... the game ends 5-2 instead of 8-2.. and that still doesnt give them an excuse... if anything im glad he did it... it exposed the pk for what it is..... there no swing in emotion of energy because they had none to begin with. over 35 years of playing and watching i have never seen a team give up like that. they are playing scared indeed

Old
12-06-2009, 09:41 AM
TheDrizzle81

Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
OK, Carcillo ****ed up, that doesnt take away from the fact that ray emery could stop a beachball, and the fact this team just plain sucks. Carcillo, IMO has been one of the best forecheckers this season, AND this is the first time this year he screwed up. it happens. If we are gonna trade players for brain cramps then I want Carter gone because he sucks donkey **** and cant shoot a ****ing puck anymore. No we wont do that because he can work out of it. Lavi will deal with Carcillo and Im sure he wont do it again...

I loved the crowd reaction when the ref was hit with the puck, and JJ's reaction to the crowd. lmfao.

Old
12-06-2009, 09:48 AM
RoDu

Some TSN panel guys this morning with Dave Hodge are figuring the locker room problems are of biblical proportions with the team. Guys need to sort their **** out, and soon

Old
12-06-2009, 09:51 AM
ph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post

Caps had 4 PP goals. The 8th goal was like 2 seconds into a PP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyFan4Ever View Post
so lets take away his penalties... the game ends 5-2 instead of 8-2.. and that still doesnt give them an excuse... if anything im glad he did it... it exposed the pk for what it is..... there no swing in emotion of energy because they had none to begin with. over 35 years of playing and watching i have never seen a team give up like that. they are playing scared indeed
Are you serious? You give a team like Washington 9 minutes of PP time and they are going to score at least once even if they don't have Ovechkin. That penalty didn't just kill us because we got scored on 3 times. It wasted half a period where we couldn't even attempt to play offense which is the strength of our team, and it totally exhausted the team because while Washington was just passing the puck around for a clean shot we had 4 guys trying to sprint around to make up for the loss of 1 player, for half a period. We should waive Carcillo and send the message that some mistakes are not OK.

Also, Washington is all offense. The more concerning thing from last night's game is that we made all 6 of their defenseman look like Norris candidates.

Old
12-06-2009, 09:59 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyFan4Ever View Post
Not necessarily because giving up the power play goals, absolutely drained the energy from the team and from the building. We can talk all day - again - about how the team needs to pick their guy up, but it's now multiple times that he goes out into a fight, KO's the guy, and the Flyers lose the game. Same script, different day, at some point it has to not be tolerated. They changed the coach, Laviolette, stated many times, will not put up with it. That's not me projecting it, that's just how the guy is. The one PP they got, they let Chris Clark score straight out of the penalty box. It's not the only reason, but it's a major reason. When you give the other team a 9-minute power play and the other team scores 3 times, the finger has to be pointed at the guy who took the penalty, I don't care whether or not they were soft goals.

Riley Cote for as much as he sucks, doesn't take a whole lot a stupid penalties when he's on the ice. Arron Asham doesn't take many if any stupid penalties. Ian Laperriere doesn't take these penalties. Jon Kalinski, Darroll Powe, etc. 4th liners like him can be replaced, and replaced easily, and without looking back. Last week he kept telling at Craig Rivet from the penalty box, and was sent to the locker room to serve part of the 10-minute misconduct that he got. Buffalo comes out in the 3rd and scores twice to win the game. It's one thing to chalk it up to the players not stepping up, but at some point it becomes a trend and part of that equation needs to be removed to make it stop. Stevens might have been able to work with Carcillo on it, but Laviolette I'm sure will be more accommodating to the players on the team who don't need to be instructed that every time someone throws a clean hit on you, that you don't freak out on him and take undisciplined penalties. Whether it was deserved or not, he still put you on the PK for 9 minutes.

Last edited by GKJ: 12-06-2009 at 10:05 AM.
Closed Thread