HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game 29 | Colorado at Columbus | 7pm at the Nat | Quotation Edition

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-05-2009, 10:49 PM
  #376
CapnCornelius
Registered User
 
CapnCornelius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,986
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
DEBASED?!?! Get real!


It's not like there aren't 5-6 other guys who can't learn from that moment. Motivation wasn't what Filatov needed. I'd be willing to bet that a realization that he doesn't know everything was far more likely.
Apparently Hitchcock doesn't think so since 50% of our practices are optional.

You cry about how these guys have no work ethic and yet ignore the fact that none is instilled in them with these half-hearted practices. You cry about player's conditioning, but how exactly are these guys going to be conditioned for games when they are hanging out at bars in the Arena District more than the Ice Haus?

I think its time to have a few "brainless" practices to get these guys to realize they have to skate a full 60 minutes.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 10:49 PM
  #377
Feicht
Registered User
 
Feicht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Twin Cities
Country: Austria
Posts: 7,287
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Feicht
Yeah it does seem like the vets tend to get a free ride. As for Commie himself... I don't know what to say. He's a good guy and all, but holy **** has he been horrible this season.

Feicht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 10:52 PM
  #378
CapnCornelius
Registered User
 
CapnCornelius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,986
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
And if GMSH could get us a quality blueliner, we'd be able to sit Commodore's ass in the press box. Yeah, that's the same guy who GMSH recruited as a free agent and pays close to the $4 million a year. But I guess you're willing to give the pass to Howson so you can be right about Hitchcock.
Who would you like him to get that our coach is willing to play?

You pretend that this GM selected these players in a vacuum, when the truth is he consulted Ken Hitchcock to get guys that fit the mold that he wanted.

Besides, I figured Commodore got a pass from you since he won a Stanley Cup. You know, the same reason our coach gets a pass.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 10:54 PM
  #379
EDM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,478
vCash: 500
In the "Lee vs. Captain" debate, I go with the Captain.

EDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 10:54 PM
  #380
Pluckfur
Registered User
 
Pluckfur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 7,269
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
You forgot the part where our genius coach debased the young man in front of ALL of his teammates. Great motivational technique. And yet the same coach continues to give bums like Mike "Party Time" Commodore a free pass.
And which of Howson's other brilliant defensive acquisition/signings should Hitch play more? What's Teddy Ruth up to these days?

Pluckfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 10:55 PM
  #381
leesmith
Still in.
 
leesmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 17,103
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
Who would you like him to get that our coach is willing to play?

You pretend that this GM selected these players in a vacuum, when the truth is he consulted Ken Hitchcock to get guys that fit the mold that he wanted.

Besides, I figured Commodore got a pass from you since he won a Stanley Cup. You know, the same reason our coach gets a pass.
Link? Where did I say that. Figures you'd have to make **** up to try to prove you're right.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 10:58 PM
  #382
Pluckfur
Registered User
 
Pluckfur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 7,269
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
Who would you like him to get that our coach is willing to play?

You pretend that this GM selected these players in a vacuum, when the truth is he consulted Ken Hitchcock to get guys that fit the mold that he wanted.

Besides, I figured Commodore got a pass from you since he won a Stanley Cup. You know, the same reason our coach gets a pass.
All the more reason you should be calling for Howson's worthless little pinhead on a platter.

Pluckfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 10:58 PM
  #383
CapnCornelius
Registered User
 
CapnCornelius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,986
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
Link? Where did I say that. Figures you'd have to make **** up to try to prove you're right.
Then tell me what reason he gets a free pass, Lee?

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 10:58 PM
  #384
leesmith
Still in.
 
leesmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 17,103
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDM View Post
In the "Lee vs. Captain" debate, I go with the Captain.
Sure, it's easier to fire the coach than to fire the team. But after the "new coach bump" another coach would likely fare no better with this lineup.

So let me ask you all. Who should replace Hitchcock that would get better results with this group?

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 11:00 PM
  #385
Samkow
Global Moderator
Just bought a new
 
Samkow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Lamborghini
Country: United States
Posts: 14,890
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
Apparently Hitchcock doesn't think so since 50% of our practices are optional.

You cry about how these guys have no work ethic and yet ignore the fact that none is instilled in them with these half-hearted practices. You cry about player's conditioning, but how exactly are these guys going to be conditioned for games when they are hanging out at bars in the Arena District more than the Ice Haus?

I think its time to have a few "brainless" practices to get these guys to realize they have to skate a full 60 minutes.
Here's where you lost me.

The team's biggest issue isn't a lack of skill or conditioning (at least as a whole.) It's making the same ****ing mental mistakes, over and over and over again.

The schedule is condensed. If the players aren't in the proper shape (and there are a few that you can say that about), it's an issue, but it isn't Hitch's issue. Having bag skates (at least for the physical side of it) isn't going to fix much.

__________________
Truth should never get in the way of a good persecution complex.
Samkow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 11:01 PM
  #386
CapnCornelius
Registered User
 
CapnCornelius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,986
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluckfur View Post
All the more reason you should be calling for Howson's worthless little pinhead on a platter.
For what, playing with the cards he's been dealt?

He's stuck with the coach because said coach has more hockey clout than he does. He's stuck getting players from the bargain bin because the owners won't open their wallets.

Tell me how Howson is problem #1 in this situation.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 11:01 PM
  #387
CBJ1628
 
CBJ1628's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: brassardburg:)
Country: United States
Posts: 956
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDM View Post
In the "Lee vs. Captain" debate, I go with the Captain.
I agree.

CBJ1628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 11:05 PM
  #388
CBJ1628
 
CBJ1628's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: brassardburg:)
Country: United States
Posts: 956
vCash: 500
At this point, I'm not sure if I want Hitch gone, or if I'm willing to give him another chance...But, knowing how optimistic I am, and how much i hate negativity, I'll probably talk myself into giving him another chance. I agree with what was said a little earlier about our problem being mental.

CBJ1628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 11:05 PM
  #389
CapnCornelius
Registered User
 
CapnCornelius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,986
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
Here's where you lost me.

The team's biggest issue isn't a lack of skill or conditioning (at least as a whole.) It's making the same ****ing mental mistakes, over and over and over again.

The schedule is condensed. If the players aren't in the proper shape (and there are a few that you can say that about), it's an issue, but it isn't Hitch's issue. Having bag skates (at least for the physical side of it) isn't going to fix much.
Yes, they certain make their fair share of ignorant passes, but honestly I think our defense is slow and our forwards often fail to get back on the rush. A few more physical practices certainly wouldn't hurt them.

If there is no consequence to losing other than the mental aspect--which doesn't seem to bother these guys--what is going to motivate them to work harder?

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 11:06 PM
  #390
leesmith
Still in.
 
leesmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 17,103
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
Then tell me what reason he gets a free pass, Lee?
HELLO??? HE DOESN"T GET A FREE PASS!!!! It's an 82 game season. Not a 10 game season when we were setting the world on fire. Not a 29 game season - where none of us are happy with the crap we're seeing on the ice.

So now let me ask you - do you feel sad that you can no longer exclaim that "Gallant had more victories than Hitchcock" after last season?!?" Nothing personal, just exposing the fact that you've been a Hitchcock hater almost since the day he got here.

Like almost all NHL coaches, Hitchcock will almost certainly be fired from Columbus someday and you can be right then. Until people in the know, not just you guessing from behind your keyboard, reveal that Hitch has lost the team and they're tanking on him, the time is not now.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 11:10 PM
  #391
leesmith
Still in.
 
leesmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 17,103
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
If there is no consequence to losing other than the mental aspect--which doesn't seem to bother these guys--what is going to motivate them to work harder?
So which NHL coach is supposed to provide this motivation for "these guys"??? You rail on Hitchcock for "debasing" Filatov and hurting his motivation, but yet you wan't him to be more of a hard ass and run demanding practices during the day between games?!? That's simply not logical.

I think you've just admitted the problem is "these guys." Guys who are supposed to be professionals despite having guaranteed, big money contracts. We're not talking about high school or college kids here.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 11:11 PM
  #392
LaCosta Nostra
Registered User
 
LaCosta Nostra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 3,026
vCash: 500
Can we switch teams with another city?

LaCosta Nostra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 11:14 PM
  #393
Pluckfur
Registered User
 
Pluckfur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 7,269
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
For what, playing with the cards he's been dealt?

He's stuck with the coach because said coach has more hockey clout than he does. He's stuck getting players from the bargain bin because the owners won't open their wallets.

Tell me how Howson is problem #1 in this situation.
He's dealing his own cards. If Hitch is "bullying" him into signing losers like Commodore and Stralman, trading for dopes like Backman and tyutin ... then he should stand up and say so and he regrets listening to Hitch's advice. Anybody with an ounce of integrity would do so. Obviously you're trying to tell me that Howson's "VISION" isn't his vision at all. What I'm telling you is that I find this a dereliction of duty and a fireable offense.

A fish rots from the head down. Howson is a hell of a lot closer to being this stinking guppy of an organization's head than he is it's tail.

Pluckfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 11:15 PM
  #394
EDM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,478
vCash: 500
Kevin Dineen.

EDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 11:16 PM
  #395
CapnCornelius
Registered User
 
CapnCornelius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,986
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
So now let me ask you - do you feel sad that you can no longer exclaim that "Gallant had more victories than Hitchcock" after last season?!?" Nothing personal, just exposing the fact that you've been a Hitchcock hater almost since the day he got here.
You're right, Lee. I said we should never hire him, right?

Why don't you go back and pull the links since that's your thing. Show the people what I said during the lead up and after Hitch's hiring.

Because that's going to be a problem for you, isn't it? Because I did support bringing in Ken Hitchcock, didn't I? Oh sure, I preferred Kevin Constantine, but I certainly wasn't "anti-Hitch."

And its ironic you should bring this up tonight because I can tell you when I started to see that maybe, just maybe this guy was not going to be able to put it together with this team. It was after the All Star Break two years ago. The team, as you'll recall, after performing well had the wheels come off. And how did Ken Hitchcock respond? By leaving practice and handing it over to Adam Foote to run. And in there, after a couple of embarassing losses, his habbit of "optional practices" started.

Part of the reason I wanted this guy was because I thought he'd end the country club. But he hasn't. The players are just as lazy as they were under the last guy.

Am I sad that he took the team to the playoffs? No. The team and the town needed it. Besides, if all that can be said about the guy is that he's better than Gerard Gallant, I don't think that's saying much.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 11:18 PM
  #396
CBJCougar
Registered User
 
CBJCougar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Inside a house
Country: United States
Posts: 5,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluckfur View Post
He's dealing his own cards. If Hitch is "bullying" him into signing losers like Commodore and Stralman, trading for dopes like Backman and tyutin ... then he should stand up and say so and he regrets listening to Hitch's advice. Anybody with an ounce of integrity would do so. Obviously you're trying to tell me that Howson's "VISION" isn't his vision at all. What I'm telling you is that I find this a dereliction of duty and a fireable offense.

A fish rots from the head down. Howson is a hell of a lot closer to being this stinking guppy of an organization's head than he is it's tail.
Wow. I like that.

CBJCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 11:18 PM
  #397
CapnCornelius
Registered User
 
CapnCornelius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,986
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
So which NHL coach is supposed to provide this motivation for "these guys"??? You rail on Hitchcock for "debasing" Filatov and hurting his motivation, but yet you wan't him to be more of a hard ass and run demanding practices during the day between games?!? That's simply not logical.

I think you've just admitted the problem is "these guys." Guys who are supposed to be professionals despite having guaranteed, big money contracts. We're not talking about high school or college kids here.
No, Lee, I've just "admitted" that its a coach's job to get his player's to listen to him.

There is a difference between punishing an entire team for crappy effort and singling out a 19 year old kid in front of 25 other players.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 11:22 PM
  #398
leesmith
Still in.
 
leesmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 17,103
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
You're right, Lee. I said we should never hire him, right?

Why don't you go back and pull the links since that's your thing. Show the people what I said during the lead up and after Hitch's hiring.

Because that's going to be a problem for you, isn't it? Because I did support bringing in Ken Hitchcock, didn't I? Oh sure, I preferred Kevin Constantine, but I certainly wasn't "anti-Hitch."
Ok kids, listen up. This is known as the "straw man" technique. Making a false statement about what I said so he can easily disprove it.

Sorry. I never said you "said we should never hire him."

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 11:24 PM
  #399
CapnCornelius
Registered User
 
CapnCornelius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,986
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluckfur View Post
He's dealing his own cards. If Hitch is "bullying" him into signing losers like Commodore and Stralman, trading for dopes like Backman and tyutin ... then he should stand up and say so and he regrets listening to Hitch's advice. Anybody with an ounce of integrity would do so. Obviously you're trying to tell me that Howson's "VISION" isn't his vision at all. What I'm telling you is that I find this a dereliction of duty and a fireable offense.

A fish rots from the head down. Howson is a hell of a lot closer to being this stinking guppy of an organization's head than he is it's tail.
Yes, I'm sure that the team's owners would be thrilled to see Howson complaining about Hitchock to the Dispatch.

I'm telling you that Howson's "vision" has to be influenced by his coach. The one time he deviated from that was Filatov. How'd that work out for everyone?

You want to argue for firing them both, be my guest. But firing Howson and keeping Hitchcock will not solve the problem because the next guy is going to be just as hamstrung by having to bring in "Hitch guys".

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 11:27 PM
  #400
CapnCornelius
Registered User
 
CapnCornelius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,986
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
Ok kids, listen up. This is known as the "straw man" technique. Making a false statement about what I said so he can easily disprove it.

Sorry. I never said you "said we should never hire him."
Then perhaps you'd like to define "almost since the day he got here."

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:59 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.