HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game 29 | Colorado at Columbus | 7pm at the Nat | Quotation Edition

Old
12-05-2009, 10:49 PM
CapnCornelius

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
DEBASED?!?! Get real!

It's not like there aren't 5-6 other guys who can't learn from that moment. Motivation wasn't what Filatov needed. I'd be willing to bet that a realization that he doesn't know everything was far more likely.
Apparently Hitchcock doesn't think so since 50% of our practices are optional.

You cry about how these guys have no work ethic and yet ignore the fact that none is instilled in them with these half-hearted practices. You cry about player's conditioning, but how exactly are these guys going to be conditioned for games when they are hanging out at bars in the Arena District more than the Ice Haus?

I think its time to have a few "brainless" practices to get these guys to realize they have to skate a full 60 minutes.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 10:49 PM
Feicht

Send a message via AIM to Feicht
Yeah it does seem like the vets tend to get a free ride. As for Commie himself... I don't know what to say. He's a good guy and all, but holy **** has he been horrible this season.

Feicht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 10:52 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
And if GMSH could get us a quality blueliner, we'd be able to sit Commodore's ass in the press box. Yeah, that's the same guy who GMSH recruited as a free agent and pays close to the $4 million a year. But I guess you're willing to give the pass to Howson so you can be right about Hitchcock.
Who would you like him to get that our coach is willing to play?

You pretend that this GM selected these players in a vacuum, when the truth is he consulted Ken Hitchcock to get guys that fit the mold that he wanted.

Besides, I figured Commodore got a pass from you since he won a Stanley Cup. You know, the same reason our coach gets a pass.

Old
12-05-2009, 10:54 PM
EDM

In the "Lee vs. Captain" debate, I go with the Captain.

EDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 10:54 PM
Pluckfur

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
You forgot the part where our genius coach debased the young man in front of ALL of his teammates. Great motivational technique. And yet the same coach continues to give bums like Mike "Party Time" Commodore a free pass.
And which of Howson's other brilliant defensive acquisition/signings should Hitch play more? What's Teddy Ruth up to these days?

Pluckfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 10:55 PM
leesmith
Still in.

Quote:

You pretend that this GM selected these players in a vacuum, when the truth is he consulted Ken Hitchcock to get guys that fit the mold that he wanted.

Besides, I figured Commodore got a pass from you since he won a Stanley Cup. You know, the same reason our coach gets a pass.
Link? Where did I say that. Figures you'd have to make **** up to try to prove you're right.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 10:58 PM
Pluckfur

Quote:

All the more reason you should be calling for Howson's worthless little pinhead on a platter.

Old
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Link? Where did I say that. Figures you'd have to make **** up to try to prove you're right.
Then tell me what reason he gets a free pass, Lee?

Old
leesmith
Still in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDM View Post
Sure, it's easier to fire the coach than to fire the team. But after the "new coach bump" another coach would likely fare no better with this lineup.

So let me ask you all. Who should replace Hitchcock that would get better results with this group?

Old
12-05-2009, 11:00 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Just bought a new

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:
Apparently Hitchcock doesn't think so since 50% of our practices are optional.

You cry about how these guys have no work ethic and yet ignore the fact that none is instilled in them with these half-hearted practices. You cry about player's conditioning, but how exactly are these guys going to be conditioned for games when they are hanging out at bars in the Arena District more than the Ice Haus?

I think its time to have a few "brainless" practices to get these guys to realize they have to skate a full 60 minutes.
Here's where you lost me.

The team's biggest issue isn't a lack of skill or conditioning (at least as a whole.) It's making the same ****ing mental mistakes, over and over and over again.

The schedule is condensed. If the players aren't in the proper shape (and there are a few that you can say that about), it's an issue, but it isn't Hitch's issue. Having bag skates (at least for the physical side of it) isn't going to fix much.

12-05-2009, 11:01 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluckfur View Post
All the more reason you should be calling for Howson's worthless little pinhead on a platter.
For what, playing with the cards he's been dealt?

He's stuck with the coach because said coach has more hockey clout than he does. He's stuck getting players from the bargain bin because the owners won't open their wallets.

Tell me how Howson is problem #1 in this situation.

Old
12-05-2009, 11:01 PM
CBJ1628

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDM View Post
I agree.

CBJ1628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 11:05 PM
CBJ1628

At this point, I'm not sure if I want Hitch gone, or if I'm willing to give him another chance...But, knowing how optimistic I am, and how much i hate negativity, I'll probably talk myself into giving him another chance. I agree with what was said a little earlier about our problem being mental.

CBJ1628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 11:05 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
Here's where you lost me.

The team's biggest issue isn't a lack of skill or conditioning (at least as a whole.) It's making the same ****ing mental mistakes, over and over and over again.

The schedule is condensed. If the players aren't in the proper shape (and there are a few that you can say that about), it's an issue, but it isn't Hitch's issue. Having bag skates (at least for the physical side of it) isn't going to fix much.
Yes, they certain make their fair share of ignorant passes, but honestly I think our defense is slow and our forwards often fail to get back on the rush. A few more physical practices certainly wouldn't hurt them.

If there is no consequence to losing other than the mental aspect--which doesn't seem to bother these guys--what is going to motivate them to work harder?

Old
12-05-2009, 11:06 PM
leesmith
Still in.

Quote:
Then tell me what reason he gets a free pass, Lee?
HELLO??? HE DOESN"T GET A FREE PASS!!!! It's an 82 game season. Not a 10 game season when we were setting the world on fire. Not a 29 game season - where none of us are happy with the crap we're seeing on the ice.

So now let me ask you - do you feel sad that you can no longer exclaim that "Gallant had more victories than Hitchcock" after last season?!?" Nothing personal, just exposing the fact that you've been a Hitchcock hater almost since the day he got here.

Like almost all NHL coaches, Hitchcock will almost certainly be fired from Columbus someday and you can be right then. Until people in the know, not just you guessing from behind your keyboard, reveal that Hitch has lost the team and they're tanking on him, the time is not now.

Old
12-05-2009, 11:10 PM
leesmith
Still in.

Quote:
If there is no consequence to losing other than the mental aspect--which doesn't seem to bother these guys--what is going to motivate them to work harder?
So which NHL coach is supposed to provide this motivation for "these guys"??? You rail on Hitchcock for "debasing" Filatov and hurting his motivation, but yet you wan't him to be more of a hard ass and run demanding practices during the day between games?!? That's simply not logical.

I think you've just admitted the problem is "these guys." Guys who are supposed to be professionals despite having guaranteed, big money contracts. We're not talking about high school or college kids here.

Old
12-05-2009, 11:11 PM
LaCosta Nostra

Can we switch teams with another city?

LaCosta Nostra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 11:14 PM
Pluckfur

Quote:
For what, playing with the cards he's been dealt?

He's stuck with the coach because said coach has more hockey clout than he does. He's stuck getting players from the bargain bin because the owners won't open their wallets.

Tell me how Howson is problem #1 in this situation.
He's dealing his own cards. If Hitch is "bullying" him into signing losers like Commodore and Stralman, trading for dopes like Backman and tyutin ... then he should stand up and say so and he regrets listening to Hitch's advice. Anybody with an ounce of integrity would do so. Obviously you're trying to tell me that Howson's "VISION" isn't his vision at all. What I'm telling you is that I find this a dereliction of duty and a fireable offense.

A fish rots from the head down. Howson is a hell of a lot closer to being this stinking guppy of an organization's head than he is it's tail.

Old
12-05-2009, 11:15 PM
EDM

Kevin Dineen.

EDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 11:16 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
So now let me ask you - do you feel sad that you can no longer exclaim that "Gallant had more victories than Hitchcock" after last season?!?" Nothing personal, just exposing the fact that you've been a Hitchcock hater almost since the day he got here.
You're right, Lee. I said we should never hire him, right?

Why don't you go back and pull the links since that's your thing. Show the people what I said during the lead up and after Hitch's hiring.

Because that's going to be a problem for you, isn't it? Because I did support bringing in Ken Hitchcock, didn't I? Oh sure, I preferred Kevin Constantine, but I certainly wasn't "anti-Hitch."

And its ironic you should bring this up tonight because I can tell you when I started to see that maybe, just maybe this guy was not going to be able to put it together with this team. It was after the All Star Break two years ago. The team, as you'll recall, after performing well had the wheels come off. And how did Ken Hitchcock respond? By leaving practice and handing it over to Adam Foote to run. And in there, after a couple of embarassing losses, his habbit of "optional practices" started.

Part of the reason I wanted this guy was because I thought he'd end the country club. But he hasn't. The players are just as lazy as they were under the last guy.

Am I sad that he took the team to the playoffs? No. The team and the town needed it. Besides, if all that can be said about the guy is that he's better than Gerard Gallant, I don't think that's saying much.

Old
12-05-2009, 11:18 PM
CBJCougar

Quote:
He's dealing his own cards. If Hitch is "bullying" him into signing losers like Commodore and Stralman, trading for dopes like Backman and tyutin ... then he should stand up and say so and he regrets listening to Hitch's advice. Anybody with an ounce of integrity would do so. Obviously you're trying to tell me that Howson's "VISION" isn't his vision at all. What I'm telling you is that I find this a dereliction of duty and a fireable offense.

A fish rots from the head down. Howson is a hell of a lot closer to being this stinking guppy of an organization's head than he is it's tail.
Wow. I like that.

CBJCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 11:18 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
So which NHL coach is supposed to provide this motivation for "these guys"??? You rail on Hitchcock for "debasing" Filatov and hurting his motivation, but yet you wan't him to be more of a hard ass and run demanding practices during the day between games?!? That's simply not logical.

I think you've just admitted the problem is "these guys." Guys who are supposed to be professionals despite having guaranteed, big money contracts. We're not talking about high school or college kids here.
No, Lee, I've just "admitted" that its a coach's job to get his player's to listen to him.

There is a difference between punishing an entire team for crappy effort and singling out a 19 year old kid in front of 25 other players.

Old
12-05-2009, 11:22 PM
leesmith
Still in.

Quote:
You're right, Lee. I said we should never hire him, right?

Why don't you go back and pull the links since that's your thing. Show the people what I said during the lead up and after Hitch's hiring.

Because that's going to be a problem for you, isn't it? Because I did support bringing in Ken Hitchcock, didn't I? Oh sure, I preferred Kevin Constantine, but I certainly wasn't "anti-Hitch."
Ok kids, listen up. This is known as the "straw man" technique. Making a false statement about what I said so he can easily disprove it.

Sorry. I never said you "said we should never hire him."

Old
12-05-2009, 11:24 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:

Yes, I'm sure that the team's owners would be thrilled to see Howson complaining about Hitchock to the Dispatch.

I'm telling you that Howson's "vision" has to be influenced by his coach. The one time he deviated from that was Filatov. How'd that work out for everyone?

You want to argue for firing them both, be my guest. But firing Howson and keeping Hitchcock will not solve the problem because the next guy is going to be just as hamstrung by having to bring in "Hitch guys".

Old
12-05-2009, 11:27 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Ok kids, listen up. This is known as the "straw man" technique. Making a false statement about what I said so he can easily disprove it.

Sorry. I never said you "said we should never hire him."
Then perhaps you'd like to define "almost since the day he got here."