HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game 29 | Colorado at Columbus | 7pm at the Nat | Quotation Edition

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-06-2009, 12:53 AM
  #426
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd
 
Matthew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 7,306
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Matthew
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluckfur View Post
Uh huh. Over here in North America we call those kind of "kids" quitters. Syracuse fans warned us about Filatov - and Howson shouldn't feel too bad about it ... Legein gave him a pretty solid quitter's warm-up.
So Howson can't draft in either the 1st or 2nd round?

Doug 2.0?

Shy Doug?

Matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 01:01 AM
  #427
RickS
Registered User
 
RickS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Country: Hungary
Posts: 933
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJ1628 View Post
Where's the woman behind Hitch?
She dyed her hair darker and moved up about 20 rows. Saw her Thursday.

RickS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 01:02 AM
  #428
Pluckfur
Registered User
 
Pluckfur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 7,269
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
So Howson can't draft in either the 1st or 2nd round?

Doug 2.0?

Shy Doug?
Same damn coin, just the opposite side. "Oh, by golly, this is the most skilled team we've ever had ..." "on paper." Neither has ever been willing to add the caveat that a hockey game is not played on paper.

I don't remember anyone other than Dallas Drake and Daryl Sydor quitting on Doug. And those were two veteran dudes ... not snot-nosed little upstarts.

Pluckfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 01:05 AM
  #429
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"
 
leesmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 15,307
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluckfur View Post
Same damn coin, just the opposite side. "Oh, by golly, this is the most skilled team we've ever had ..." "on paper." Neither has ever been willing to add the caveat that a hockey game is not played on paper.

I don't remember anyone other than Dallas Drake and Daryl Sydor quitting on Doug. And those were two veteran dudes ... not snot-nosed little upstarts.
In fairness, GMSH also has veteran Adam Foote quitting on his watch.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 01:18 AM
  #430
skimp
Registered User
 
skimp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,737
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickS View Post
She dyed her hair darker and moved up about 20 rows. Saw her Thursday.
So the woman who only bothers to get half-dressed to go out in public is too embarrassed to be seen on TV with these clowns? Great.

skimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 01:20 AM
  #431
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd
 
Matthew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 7,306
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Matthew
Quote:
Originally Posted by skimp View Post
So the woman who only bothers to get half-dressed to go out in public is too embarrassed to be seen on TV with these clowns? Great.
Another Veteran has quit on Hitch and Howson.

Matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 01:24 AM
  #432
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"
 
leesmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 15,307
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by skimp View Post
So the woman who only bothers to get half-dressed to go out in public is too embarrassed to be seen on TV with these clowns? Great.
She lost access to those seats (it's a long, messy, personal story) and now sit five rows up.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 01:30 AM
  #433
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey
 
Timeless Winter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 16,024
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
It's kinda sad that a coach who's been in the NHL for 2 months (Joe Sacco) understands more about the new NHL than a guy who's been coaching in the league over 13 years.

Timeless Winter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 01:43 AM
  #434
Pluckfur
Registered User
 
Pluckfur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 7,269
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
In fairness, GMSH also has veteran Adam Foote quitting on his watch.
You know, in fairness, it seems likely that Howson scroooood the pooch badly on the Foote negotiations. I mean in the finest journalistic work that Arace and Portzline ever did on the Jackets ... we learned that team Captain Foote asked for $4mil x 2yrs and that Hitchcock requested Howson get the deal done. Massive failure. Howson left the Jacket team (and Jacket fans) to twist slowly, slowly in the wind ... only five points out of a playoff spot in March. Howson lost Fedorov and Foote and brought NO bodies back to team scratching and clawing to make the playoffs. EPIC F.

Pluckfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 01:47 AM
  #435
Pluckfur
Registered User
 
Pluckfur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 7,269
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
It's kinda sad that a coach who's been in the NHL for 2 months (Joe Sacco) understands more about the new NHL than a guy who's been coaching in the league over 13 years.
Joe Sacco credits Hitchcock with teaching him much about hockey and winning. Sacco's team played a perfect Hitchcock-ian game. I'm sure you meant to point that out.

Pluckfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 01:56 AM
  #436
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey
 
Timeless Winter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 16,024
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluckfur View Post
Joe Sacco credits Hitchcock with teaching him much about hockey and winning. Sacco's team played a perfect Hitchcock-ian game. I'm sure you meant to point that out.
Of course, problem is, Hitchcock's team hasn't played Hitchcock-ian hockey since about game #70 of last season.

I'm amazed at how well Sacco has coached, he didn't do that with the Monsters.

Timeless Winter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 02:06 AM
  #437
Pluckfur
Registered User
 
Pluckfur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 7,269
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
Of course, problem is, Hitchcock's team hasn't played Hitchcock-ian hockey since about game #70 of last season.

I'm amazed at how well Sacco has coached, he didn't do that with the Monsters.

In the end, it's all about the players and the team execution of a game plan. Always has been, always will be. Until the Jacket players play like REAL NHLers ... the losing will continue - with or without Hitchcock.

Pluckfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 02:14 AM
  #438
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd
 
Matthew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 7,306
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Matthew
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluckfur View Post
In the end, it's all about the players and the team execution of a game plan. Always has been, always will be. Until the Jacket players play like REAL NHLers ... the losing will continue - with or without Hitchcock.
Last time I checked, Philly didn't finish the season too hot after they fired Hitchie.

Matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 02:26 AM
  #439
Pluckfur
Registered User
 
Pluckfur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 7,269
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
Last time I checked, Philly didn't finish the season too hot after they fired Hitchie.
You don't say? Hmm, ...

And, Laviolette must be so thrilled with his new team's plucky spunk.

Spunk. Funny word, that. (Spunk is funny, not plucky )

Pluckfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 06:44 AM
  #440
RBarRegular
Registered User
 
RBarRegular's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Senecaville
Posts: 613
vCash: 500
In defense of GMSH, he has one of the toughest GM jobs in hockey trying to manage a budget team, a team bleeding cash and playing in front of a half full arena. In fact, this job will likely be a stepping - stone job for Howson. He'll leave for greener pastures when the opportunity arises.

RBarRegular is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 06:50 AM
  #441
Happy Pony
Registered User
 
Happy Pony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Columbus
Country: United States
Posts: 2,659
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
She lost access to those seats (it's a long, messy, personal story) and now sit five rows up.
Sorry to hear about your divorce.

Anyway, what this team needs is a LEADER, like this guy:


Happy Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 08:10 AM
  #442
EDM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,898
vCash: 500
Pluckfor, you don't remember anybody quitting on Doug Maclean? You have got to be kidding me. How about the whole team? You don't recall how this team was playing in December when Doug tried to be the coach? Hint, it looked a lot like now. There is a reason that Doug fired himself and inserted Gallant. Even Doug with his monstrous ego realized he had lost the team. I really cannot believe what I am reading on this board. Favorable recollections of Doug Maclean? My lord.

It is really that hard to see? The team has quit on Hitchcock. Heck, even Hitchcock is saying the team has quit on him. And when that happens, you fire the coach. It is not personal. It is not saying Hitch molests little girls. It is just business. Hitch will do quite well in "retirement". He has 3 years guaranteed. But you can't fire all the players. Especially on this team with all the multi-year contracts. so the coach goes. It has happened before. All three of our prior coaches were fired during the season. I happens several times each year around the entire NHL.

This team has a very good measure of talent. But they are not even making a colorable effort anymore. I don't know what happened, no one outside of the internal CBJ environment knows for sure. But roughly around the time Filatov left (I AM NOT SAYING THAT FILATOV'S DEPARTURE IS PART OF A CAUSE/EFFECT RELATIONSHIP) something about the dynamic of the relationship between Hitch and the players changed very, very badly. They really have just tuned him out. But there is no way to turn it around, (no Stevie Saviour is going to fall out of the sky this year) other than to make a change with the coach.

As that post discussing head coach candidates makes clear, there are a lot of good, young HC candidates out there. To me Dino would be almost perfect. Just the announcement of his name would energize the fan base. He is an old school guy who after five successful years in the AHL has learned to translate his passion to young players. (That is the key behind my support for him). And he has CBJ blood inside of him. Yes, I believe that the appointment of Dino would cause a turnaround in this club. And it would be almost immediate. We would make the playoffs with him because he would take the large amount of talent we have and channel it constructively.

EDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 09:10 AM
  #443
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan
 
JACKETfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Venice
Country: United States
Posts: 9,232
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluckfur View Post
You know, in fairness, it seems likely that Howson scroooood the pooch badly on the Foote negotiations. I mean in the finest journalistic work that Arace and Portzline ever did on the Jackets ... we learned that team Captain Foote asked for $4mil x 2yrs and that Hitchcock requested Howson get the deal done. Massive failure. Howson left the Jacket team (and Jacket fans) to twist slowly, slowly in the wind ... only five points out of a playoff spot in March. Howson lost Fedorov and Foote and brought NO bodies back to team scratching and clawing to make the playoffs. EPIC F.
I'm a Footer fan and his absence on D is certainly felt.
But we did get 2 pics which got us RJ Umberger from Philly.

I've never heard that Hitchcock "requested" that Howson get the deal done.
Source?

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 09:47 AM
  #444
KeithBWhittington
Going North
 
KeithBWhittington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Brick by Brick
Country: Hungary
Posts: 10,236
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
The same one who lost a home game against a 4-loss USC team. Yes.
as far as the big ten is concerned, its similar to liking a turd sandwich because of the bread....

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 11:43 AM
  #445
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"
 
leesmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 15,307
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Mike View Post
Sorry to hear about your divorce.
LOL Until my wife wises up, I'm still married. Bench Babe does sit in my row now.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 11:49 AM
  #446
Feicht
Registered User
 
Feicht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Twin Cities
Country: Austria
Posts: 7,287
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Feicht
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDM View Post
Pluckfor, you don't remember anybody quitting on Doug Maclean? You have got to be kidding me. How about the whole team? You don't recall how this team was playing in December when Doug tried to be the coach? Hint, it looked a lot like now. There is a reason that Doug fired himself and inserted Gallant. Even Doug with his monstrous ego realized he had lost the team. I really cannot believe what I am reading on this board. Favorable recollections of Doug Maclean? My lord.

It is really that hard to see? The team has quit on Hitchcock. Heck, even Hitchcock is saying the team has quit on him. And when that happens, you fire the coach. It is not personal. It is not saying Hitch molests little girls. It is just business. Hitch will do quite well in "retirement". He has 3 years guaranteed. But you can't fire all the players. Especially on this team with all the multi-year contracts. so the coach goes. It has happened before. All three of our prior coaches were fired during the season. I happens several times each year around the entire NHL.

This team has a very good measure of talent. But they are not even making a colorable effort anymore. I don't know what happened, no one outside of the internal CBJ environment knows for sure. But roughly around the time Filatov left (I AM NOT SAYING THAT FILATOV'S DEPARTURE IS PART OF A CAUSE/EFFECT RELATIONSHIP) something about the dynamic of the relationship between Hitch and the players changed very, very badly. They really have just tuned him out. But there is no way to turn it around, (no Stevie Saviour is going to fall out of the sky this year) other than to make a change with the coach.

As that post discussing head coach candidates makes clear, there are a lot of good, young HC candidates out there. To me Dino would be almost perfect. Just the announcement of his name would energize the fan base. He is an old school guy who after five successful years in the AHL has learned to translate his passion to young players. (That is the key behind my support for him). And he has CBJ blood inside of him. Yes, I believe that the appointment of Dino would cause a turnaround in this club. And it would be almost immediate. We would make the playoffs with him because he would take the large amount of talent we have and channel it constructively.
He'd be a great fit for sure, but I just don't see Scott "Sit-on-the-Hands" Howson making such a ballsy move. Sure, coaching changes can fire up a team (ohai, Stanley Cup Champion Pens) but they can also sink a team's season in a hurry. I don't see Howson as having the balls to take that kind of risk.

EDIT: But speaking of the Pens, of course it's silly to compare their teams the last couple years to ours, but even so I think it is telling that they dumped Therrien after what he had done for the club; he completely turned around the franchise in one year, the next year takes them to the Stanley Cup Finals, and the next year gets fired mid-season because he "lost the room." So all this talk about how we are obligated to keep Hitchcock around because he won a Cup 10 years ago, and got the Jackets into the playoffs (where they were swept) just seems silly to me.


Last edited by Feicht: 12-06-2009 at 11:55 AM.
Feicht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 11:57 AM
  #447
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."
 
CBJSprague24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 52mi from the Nat
Country: United States
Posts: 6,818
vCash: 500
You know what I'm getting sick of seeing when watching games & reading Puck-Rakers:

"...deflected off the skate of Commodore and in"
"...tipped in off the stick of Marc Methot"
"...re-directed off the leg of Fedor Tyutin..."
"The goal was redirected by (insert Jacket here) and in"

How many own goals are we going to give up before we learn to FIX this problem? It's almost as if the competition is aiming for our guys for an easy redirect.

I'm also sick of highlight reel goals coming at our expense. We made the Toronto Maple Leafs look like the Harlem Globetrotters of hockey a couple times.

CBJSprague24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 12:27 PM
  #448
CzechMate93
 
CzechMate93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 522
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJSprague24 View Post
You know what I'm getting sick of seeing when watching games & reading Puck-Rakers:

"...deflected off the skate of Commodore and in"
"...tipped in off the stick of Marc Methot"
"...re-directed off the leg of Fedor Tyutin..."
"The goal was redirected by (insert Jacket here) and in"

How many own goals are we going to give up before we learn to FIX this problem? It's almost as if the competition is aiming for our guys for an easy redirect.
I don't like "own-goals" either, but its the luck of the draw sometimes. More often than not, an own-goal is just that, unlucky. At least we are in position to defend if we are there to deflect into our net.

CzechMate93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 12:48 PM
  #449
Feicht
Registered User
 
Feicht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Twin Cities
Country: Austria
Posts: 7,287
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Feicht
I dunno... I'm with Don Cherry on this phenomenon: if you're going to block a shot, ****ing drop down and block it, don't screen your own goalie and deflect it in for the other team. Our guys seem to do that more often than not.

Feicht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 12:53 PM
  #450
CzechMate93
 
CzechMate93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 522
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feicht View Post
I dunno... I'm with Don Cherry on this phenomenon: if you're going to block a shot, ****ing drop down and block it, don't screen your own goalie and deflect it in for the other team. Our guys seem to do that more often than not.
That doesn't often make sense to do right in front of the net. I think its more complicated that you and Sprague are making it out to be.

CzechMate93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:14 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.