HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Martin Lapointe

Closed Thread

Old
04-13-2004, 04:46 PM
Fern

vCash: 500
Martin Lapointe

He is the guy I hate the most in the entire league. He is a dirty player that cannot play with the puck. The entire Ribeiro thing started in major part because of him. Lapointe is the guy Ribeiro laughed at. Since the beginning of the series, all the Bruins players including Lapointe are all over Ribeiro. Mike plays well since the beginning of this series, he even hits... I really think that the Bruins are trying to motivate themselves with this story. They try to make things going because they know that if we had flipped both goalies, Montreal would lead the series 2-1 maybe 3-0. Hopefully Josť will start playing like he can and we'll have a chance to laugh in the face of Lapointe and all the other Bruins poor babies like Thornton, Rolston and McGillis.

Old
04-13-2004, 04:48 PM
Mooch

Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern
He is the guy I hate the most in the entire league. He is a dirty player that cannot play with the puck. The entire Ribeiro thing started in major part because of him. Lapointe is the guy Ribeiro laughed at. Since the beginning of the series, all the Bruins players including Lapointe are all over Ribeiro. Mike plays well since the beginning of this series, he even hits... I really think that the Bruins are trying to motivate themselves with this story. They try to make things going because they know that if we had flipped both goalies, Montreal would lead the series 2-1 maybe 3-0. Hopefully Josť will start playing like he can and we'll have a chance to laugh in the face of Lapointe and all the other Bruins poor babies like Thornton, Rolston and McGillis.
I dont find Lapoint to be dirty at all

I would love to have this guys. He is over paid right now, but what an asset he would be to have!

Old
04-13-2004, 04:51 PM
Guy Caballero

Marty could play for my team ANY DAY.

Old
04-13-2004, 04:56 PM
Habs

What does Marty have.. 2 cups? I'd take him on my team.

I'd throw Dagenais, Dackell, and Juneau into oncoming traffic to clear a roster spot.

Old
04-13-2004, 04:56 PM
Haddock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Caballero
Marty could play for my team ANY DAY.
On mine too...for less than five freakin' millions!

Old
04-13-2004, 05:56 PM
EaGLE1

He's a good player, but you hate him when he play against you. We would love to have him on our 3rd line and in front of the net on the PP!

Old
04-13-2004, 05:57 PM
Fern

Not on mine

I would take a guy like Matt Cooke or even Darcy Tucker before this guy. Atleast both can score. And Lapointe wouldn't be a big improvement on Ward. He has two cups, so what. Donald Dufresne has a cup too, so has David Maley. Lapointe is overpaied and outplayed by a lot of guys and the fact that he often goes after smaller players or finess players like Brisebois or Ribeiro makes me hate him. I would love to see Langdon against him but he would never do that. Lapointe is now at the same point that Rivet is, they both think that they can't drop the gloves because they are too important for the team which is wrong.

Old
04-13-2004, 06:37 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Lapointe is the has Holik syndrome. Holik is good, but WAY over payed.

Old
04-14-2004, 12:27 AM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch

I would love to have this guys. He is over paid right now, but what an asset he would be to have!
He tried to cross-check Ribeiro in that scrum at the net when both he and Green took penalties.

The guy always has his elbows or stick in someone's face... sorta like Joe Thornton but with less talent.

Old
04-14-2004, 01:30 AM
nikrag03*

Send a message via MSN to nikrag03*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs
What does Marty have.. 2 cups? I'd take him on my team.

I'd throw Dagenais, Dackell, and Juneau into oncoming traffic to clear a roster spot.
Yeah take that 5 million dollar contract too cause he's sure worth it

Old
04-14-2004, 01:32 AM
THORNTON19

Quote:
Enlighten us as to what you base your "Lapointe is dirty" argument on.

Old
04-14-2004, 01:38 AM
trenton1
Paille Good

I can't even tell you how much I hated Marty Lapointe when he was on the Wings. But I would have never said he played cheap. He was effective at getting in people's faces and causing pain and problems. When he does it for your team you aprreciate it. I was angry with Steve Begin in games 1-3 but that's mostly because of how effective he is, I would put him on my 4th line for sure. Lapointe is overpaid but that's irrelevant to this particular argument.

Old
04-14-2004, 06:50 AM
mcphee

If you're a GM and you don't want Lapointe on your checking line, then my team will beat your team. His contract has nothing to do with his style of play. He can create havoc at both ends of the ice, keeps his game simple, and agitates right at the edge of the rules. As far as his contract goes, wasn't his contract a matter of Jacobs giving the finger to the Detroit owner.[Pizza guy whose name escapes me right now]. The story which I thought was common knowledge was that Jacobs was pissed at the effect that the money Detroit was spending was having on salaries , so he told O'Connell to do whatever it takes to sign Lapointe, just to show up the Wings. Lapointe had a good offer to come to Mtl. and was expected to sign here. The Habs lost him when Boston decided to make a point. Anyways that's the way I heard it.

Old
04-14-2004, 07:11 AM
IcE ColD

Send a message via MSN to IcE ColD
Funny to see that each time we do the playoffs, there's always a player that vast majority of fans hate on the other team when we're losing the serie. Two years ago, it was Cole, this year it's Lapointe...

I'd take Lapointe all the way, even with the big salary.. this guy has grit and leadership. Maybe some of his checks are dirty, but be serious, who doesn't hit dirty in the playoffs?

5 millions is not too pricy for this kind of guy... (or maybe just a little).

I'm sure that all the people saying they hate him would have loved him if he were a Habs...

Old
04-14-2004, 08:06 AM
BINGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Rubble
He tried to cross-check Ribeiro in that scrum at the net when both he and Green took penalties.

The guy always has his elbows or stick in someone's face... sorta like Joe Thornton but with less talent.

Come on.....Ribs tried to punch Lapoint. HOMER

Old
04-14-2004, 08:15 AM
jokerboysmith

Quote:
He is a prototype french canadian.

Old
04-14-2004, 10:47 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch

Agreed.

For my money, if you have to call somebody on Boston dirty, then I would bestow the label on Joe Thornton or Travis Green. Although they're not reeally reeally bad either.

Old
04-14-2004, 10:59 AM
ajs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Rubble
Maybe you were blinking when Rebeiro took a swing at Lapointe, it's alright, we all saw it.

Old
04-14-2004, 11:31 AM
Histrion

Send a message via MSN to Histrion
Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerboysmith
He is a prototype french canadian.
Yeah, right.. And you're a prototypique consanguineous western redneck.

Gotta love mindless stereotypes, eh..

Old
04-14-2004, 01:38 PM
MentalPowerHouse

Any team in the league would like him. He's is overpaid, but diss Boston Management for that not him.

Old
04-14-2004, 03:24 PM
blurbruin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajs
Maybe you were blinking when Rebeiro took a swing at Lapointe, it's alright, we all saw it.
In addition, Ribeiro took a swipe while another player was holding lapointe. Maybe some people think Lapointe is dirty, and trash talks, well at least he's willing to drop 'em to back up his trash talking.

Old
04-14-2004, 03:26 PM
davey999

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurbruin
In addition, Ribeiro took a swipe while another player was holding lapointe. Maybe some people think Lapointe is dirty, and trash talks, well at least he's willing to drop 'em to back up his trash talking.
He didn't look too interested in "dropping them" with Langdon at the start of game 3.

Old
04-16-2004, 12:12 AM
Fern

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
If you're a GM and you don't want Lapointe on your checking line, then my team will beat your team. His contract has nothing to do with his style of play. He can create havoc at both ends of the ice, keeps his game simple, and agitates right at the edge of the rules. As far as his contract goes, wasn't his contract a matter of Jacobs giving the finger to the Detroit owner.[Pizza guy whose name escapes me right now]. The story which I thought was common knowledge was that Jacobs was pissed at the effect that the money Detroit was spending was having on salaries , so he told O'Connell to do whatever it takes to sign Lapointe, just to show up the Wings. Lapointe had a good offer to come to Mtl. and was expected to sign here. The Habs lost him when Boston decided to make a point. Anyways that's the way I heard it.
This series alone could prove you're wrong. Montreal has no Martin Lapointe on the checking line and if we had Raycroft in net and Theo would be a Bruins this series would be over. Begin is hitting everything on the ice not only smaller players. Lapointe is always on smaller players like Koivu, Ribeiro or the 6'5'' 120 lbs Pierre Dagenais that's why I hate him. I could give you tons of cheaper players that could do the job better than Lapointe. Yeah he has 2 cups but what did the Bruins in playoffs with him in the lineup?

Old
04-16-2004, 12:28 AM
CHareth

Quote:
This series alone could prove you're wrong. Montreal has no Martin Lapointe on the checking line and if we had Raycroft in net and Theo would be a Bruins this series would be over. Begin is hitting everything on the ice not only smaller players. Lapointe is always on smaller players like Koivu, Ribeiro or the 6'5'' 120 lbs Pierre Dagenais that's why I hate him. I could give you tons of cheaper players that could do the job better than Lapointe. Yeah he has 2 cups but what did the Bruins in playoffs with him in the lineup?
So it's Lapointe's fault that the players he is told to check by his coach just happen to be smaller than him? Seems like a pretty silly reason to hate a player. I'm sure if Montreal had Joe Thornton or Todd Bertuzzi, Lapointe would be told to check those guys too. Likewise, if we had Lapointe, I'm sure he would be told to get the likes of Thornton and Samsonov alike.

Old
04-16-2004, 12:46 AM
Fern

A stupid GM gave him the contract that he has so this part is not his fault. That's the way he plays that I don't like. When you hit a guy from behind like Lapointe did against Ribeiro with only one goal, to hurt the guy I say it's dirty and I don't like it. You like Lapointe, that's ok but I'm very glad we did not threw or money away on a guy like this even if Savard did some other mistakes. Begin is cheaper, Ward is cheaper and we even had a guy like Bill Lindsay who did the same job Lapointe does for less money. I'm sure the Bruins think they made a better investment with Travis Green. And I really hope that to compare Cole and Lapointe was just because both guys are players that we hate to play against because Lapointe is not the half of a player Cole was against us in 2002.

Closed Thread