HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

What is your criteria for 'franchise players'?

View Poll Results: How many franchise players are there in the league?
3-10 49 52.13%
15-30 45 47.87%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-06-2009, 04:43 PM
Incognito

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPiTA View Post
Franchise players IMO:

Getzlaf
Kovalchuk
Chara
Miller
Iginla
Staal
Toews
Nash
Datsyuk
Zetterberg
Kopitar
Parise
Gaborik
Alfredsson
Richards
Crosby
Malkin
Thornton
Lecavalier
Luongo
Ovechkin

Future/Unproven franchise players:

Bogosian
Duchene
Mason
Doughty
Tavares
Stamkos
Kessel
E-Johnson

Therefore 15-30
You forgot to mention Kane, Brodeur and Lundqvist.

Incognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 05:35 PM
Alamo

Would Doan be considered a "Franchise Player"?

I always thought that you had to be about a PPG player + Be the leader of your team to be a true "Franchise Player".

Alamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 05:38 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

15-30? Wtf?

Franchise player does not mean good player. You gotta be a Superstar or just under a superstar to be considered an franchise player in my books.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 05:40 PM
Rooooooooooxxxanne*

Players that are the face of your franchise.

They put people in the seats, and you can build your team around them.

Rooooooooooxxxanne* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 05:45 PM
shadow1

vCash: 1210
There are alot of franchise players in the league, just like their are alot of franchises. With the exception of a few teams, every team in the league has at least 1-2 franchise players.

I'll define franchise players as a consistent player skilled enough to build a good team around; the focal point of a team.

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 06:22 PM
Jeffrey Lebowski
Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow1 View Post
There are alot of franchise players in the league, just like their are alot of franchises. With the exception of a few teams, every team in the league has at least 1-2 franchise players.

I'll define franchise players as a consistent player skilled enough to build a good team around; the focal point of a team.
This is how I see it too. They have to be skilled enough and consistent enough for a team to build around them, rely on them and use them to attract people to come to home games. I don't understand how a franchise player has to be the best at what they do or be extremely talented, I'd say that would be something like a 'franchise talent'... someone who has done something at a high level with the same team long enough for them to be considered the best (insert role) for the team in years and will be remembered as such. I don't know how other people feel about that but I see a need to define a franchise 'talent' compared to 'player'.

Jeffrey Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 08:36 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

I imagine a scenario where I could protect 1 or 2 guys from ever leaving my team. With no mulligans or do-overs available, would I choose to keep the guy for his entire career or not? If the answer is yes, I consider him a franchise player. There are plenty of superstars in the league that I don't consider franchise players, and wouldn't risk locking up for their entire career. Similarly, I don't think that the best player on a team at any given moment is a franchise players by default.

For example, and sticking to Canadian teams for the moment, I don't see a franchise player on Toronto or Edmonton, even though they have their respective "best" and "star" players.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 11:38 PM
Horvat2Virtanen
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Franchise players

Luongo
Lundqvist
Brodeur
Malkin
Ovechkin
Crosby
Iginla
Kovalchuk
Thornton
Nash
Datsyuk
Chara
Lidstrom
Getzlaf

Will be a franchise player
Doughty
Johnson
Bogosian
Stamkos
Tavares
Kane
Headman
Hall
Fowler

Horvat2Virtanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 11:43 PM
embracedbias

I really don't understand how someone could NOT consider Iginla as a franchise player.

He IS the Calgary Flames. To me, that is the very definition of a franchise player.

embracedbias is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 11:45 PM
SchennSational1022*
The Future

Crosby
Malkin
Kovalchuk
Nash
Richards
Carter
Parise
Lidstrom
Luongo
Getzlaf
Eric Staal

SchennSational1022* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 12:57 AM
MG10

This is the literal meaning of the term "franchise" according to dictionary.com:

"...a player of great talent or popular appeal, considered vitally important to a team's success or future."

By that definition, it follows that pretty much every team has a franchise player, does it not? Doesn't every team in the National Hockey League, or in any sports league for that matter, have a player whose influence on his team is absolutely necessary for a team to succeed? I would say so. In fact, there are teams that have a couple of players who are equally influential, and thus, have more than one franchise player. Otherwise, why would that/those player (s) get so much more ice-time than, say, the grinders/checkers? Why doesn't Eric Godard get equal ice-time to Sidney Crosby? It's because Sidney Crosby's influence, by virtue of his tremendous talent, is much greater than that of Eric Godard. Does that make sense? Probably not.

MG10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 02:05 AM
TOML

Franchise player: A player deemed to be irreplaceable by his franchise at the time. There are plenty. Teams without one usually suck.

Superstar: A generational talent. Record-holders and legends.

Star: A great player. Can usually be found in all-star games.

TOML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 01:22 PM
Hooch314

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludicrous Speed View Post
Nash has been a PPG player twice...

anyway, I think there are 5-10 Superstar-Elite players in the game, and 20+ Franchise players. Franchise player being someone who you team can build around, not necessarily best of the best.
Agreed

I can't believe people are actually not putting guys like Nash and Iginla on their lists.

People are way too picky.

Franchise player = A player that comes to mind automatically when you think of that players team.

What do you think of when you think of the Flames? The Jackets?

I'd say there are around 20, with 5-10 teams still trying to find their guy.

Hooch314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 01:42 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggyjoe21 View Post
Agreed 100%

Franchise player is a notch below superstar, imo. It's someone who you build your team around.
What? I consider Franchise players to be the absolute top. You have franchise players, superstars, stars, and then the rest.

My list of Franchise players includes:

Crosby
Malkin
Ovechkin
Brodeur
Luongo
Kovalchuk
Lidstrom
Thornton
Iginla

12-07-2009, 02:34 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alamo View Post
Would Doan be considered a "Franchise Player"?

I always thought that you had to be about a PPG player + Be the leader of your team to be a true "Franchise Player".
I'd say yes and no. Technically he's Phoenix's franchise player, but by NHL standards as Phoenix is a poor/developing team he's a bit below the cutoff line. Using wingers I'd personally draw the line at around Iginla, Nash and Heatley, with guys like Doan, Smyth and Morrow a step below it. Coincidentaly, the first 3 should be lining up on the scoring lines for Team Canada for the upcoming Olympics, while the latter 3 will be bubble players/4th line checkers.

And while he's not getting any love here which is sort of understandable after this offseasons shenanigans, Heatley is a franchise caliber player for those picking the 10-30 range. Barring a disaster his career is on pace to finish with 500+ goals and 1000-1200+ points. Though I'd consider him at the cutoff line for a franchise player.

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 03:18 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

And I guess since I'm procrastinating a little here's my comprehensive list. Note that I'm giving some grace time to guys like Lecavailer and Heatley, and the 2003 draft is my cutoff line for potentials. There's too many hotshot kids from that draft period that I think we still need to wait and see a little longer for who we want to brand a franchise player.

CURRENT (17)
Kovalchuk, Rich Peverley, Chara, Iginla, Nash, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Brodeur, Gaborik, Lundqvist, Crosby, Malkin, Thornton, Heatley, Lecavalier, Luongo, Ovechkin

RECENT(3)
S.Niedermayer, Lidstrom, Pronger

BUBBLE(25)
Miller, Bouwmeester, Kiprusoff, Hossa, Keith, Statsny, B.Richards, Morrow, Vokoun, R.Smyth, Havlat, M.Koivu, Markov, Alfredsson, Spezza, Doan, Bryzgalov, Fleury, Nabakov, Marleau, Boyle, St. Louis, H.Sedin, D.Sedin, A.Semin

POTENTIALS(19)
Getzlaf, Vanek, Phaneuf, E.Staal, Toews, Kane, Kopitar, Doughty, Price, S.Weber, Parise, Tavares, M.Richards, J.Carter, E.Johnson, Stamkos, Kessel, N.Backstrom(C), Green

Old
12-07-2009, 03:49 PM
ryz

The funny thing about franchise players is that some teams have more than 1 and some teams don't have any.

And LOL at the Oiler fans not listing Iginla as a franchise player. It's hard to have a serious hockey conversation with someone that would make such a laughable, glaring ommision.

ryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 04:00 PM
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns

vCash: 142
HF's criteria is probably loftier than real-life criteria. Thornton would be a franchise player in the eyes of posters here, but in the actual world he was traded for 3 scrubs; Luongo only got a slightly higher return and consensus around here is that he's the best goalie in the world. I'd say only Ovechkin/Malkin/Crosby are franchise players on account that I can't see them being traded for any player except each other or massive package overpayments. As an Avs fan, for example, I think it would take at least Wolski, Duchene, Stewart, Quincey, Shattenkirk and 2 1sts to get Ovechkin, but I imagine it might only take 3 of those quantities to get an Iginla or a Chara

WarriorOfGandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 09:56 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
And I guess since I'm procrastinating a little here's my comprehensive list. Note that I'm giving some grace time to guys like Lecavailer and Heatley, and the 2003 draft is my cutoff line for potentials. There's too many hotshot kids from that draft period that I think we still need to wait and see a little longer for who we want to brand a franchise player.

CURRENT (17)
Kovalchuk, Rich Peverley, Chara, Iginla, Nash, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Brodeur, Gaborik, Lundqvist, Crosby, Malkin, Thornton, Heatley, Lecavalier, Luongo, Ovechkin

RECENT(3)
S.Niedermayer, Lidstrom, Pronger

BUBBLE(25)
Miller, Bouwmeester, Kiprusoff, Hossa, Keith, Statsny, B.Richards, Morrow, Vokoun, R.Smyth, Havlat, M.Koivu, Markov, Alfredsson, Spezza, Doan, Bryzgalov, Fleury, Nabakov, Marleau, Boyle, St. Louis, H.Sedin, D.Sedin, A.Semin

POTENTIALS(19)
Getzlaf, Vanek, Phaneuf, E.Staal, Toews, Kane, Kopitar, Doughty, Price, S.Weber, Parise, Tavares, M.Richards, J.Carter, E.Johnson, Stamkos, Kessel, N.Backstrom(C), Green
Agree with both of your posts...except are you serious about putting Rich Peverley in the "current' category? Reeeally? Virtually every player in the bubble category are more deserving of being called "franchise player".

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 11:16 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
Agree with both of your posts...except are you serious about putting Rich Peverley in the "current' category? Reeeally? Virtually every player in the bubble category are more deserving of being called "franchise player".
Haven't you been following things around here recently? Rich Peverley is the next big thing, even better than Mike Richards!

Old
12-07-2009, 11:18 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorOfGandhi View Post
HF's criteria is probably loftier than real-life criteria. Thornton would be a franchise player in the eyes of posters here, but in the actual world he was traded for 3 scrubs; Luongo only got a slightly higher return and consensus around here is that he's the best goalie in the world. I'd say only Ovechkin/Malkin/Crosby are franchise players on account that I can't see them being traded for any player except each other or massive package overpayments. As an Avs fan, for example, I think it would take at least Wolski, Duchene, Stewart, Quincey, Shattenkirk and 2 1sts to get Ovechkin, but I imagine it might only take 3 of those quantities to get an Iginla or a Chara
You've actually got it backwards... even I'm a little to strict in my criteria. If survey the actual NHL GM's who their franchise players are, you're going to get a bigger list than what I posted.

Old
12-09-2009, 04:05 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
Haven't you been following things around here recently? Rich Peverley is the next big thing, even better than Mike Richards!
I have avoided that particular thread like the plague. I have nothing against Peverley; I think he is a very good player. But that couldn't have been a serious post I responded to, could it?

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 05:02 PM
Alamo

How would Doan not be a Franchise player? Just asking Nearly a PPG + Some of the best leadership in the League...

Alamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 05:08 PM
Grub
First Line Troll

vCash: 883
Would the Sedin twins together count as a Franchise player?

Grub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 06:15 PM
tesplen

I think of a "franchise player" as a player that defines the team they play for.

Each team has at least 1, or maybe as much as 3 or 4 "franchise players", in my opinion.

eg.

Boston - Chara, Savard
Vancouver - Luongo, Sedins
Chicago - Kane, Toews
Atlanta - Kovalchuk
Pittsburgh - Crosby, Malkin
Columbus - Nash

etc.

Therefore, I would have voted "30+" if that was an option.

Franchise players should make up the nucleus of the core of the team. They're the core players, only the very core of the core, if you will.

I also think a franchise player doesn't always necessarily have to be a "superstar" or "generational talent" like a Crosby, or Ovechkin

I think most General Managers around the league would agree with this assessment if you asked them

tesplen is offline   Reply With Quote