HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Nabby the problem ???

Old
12-10-2009, 09:25 PM
shoot the puck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
In the playoffs, the goalie's stats are a good indicator of the team's play in general. All the hot goalies come playoff time get a lot of help from their blue liners clearing pucks and preventing second chances. The goalies that look bad generally have those bounces go in the net.

That was one of the reasons why the Sharks lost last year. The Ducks were excellent at clearing the front of the net and the Sharks weren't. That difference is applicable in a lot of different playoff match-ups.
There was a big reason the Sharks lost last year. Mr 5 hole

shoot the puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 12:19 AM
skilletboy*

Nabby sure wasn't the problem tonight. Lack of scoring was the problem.

skilletboy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 12:24 AM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilletboy View Post
But the opposing goalie still ended up being better.

This game and the Calgary game are typical Sharks playoff games. The opposing goalie ends up being a tad bit better and the Sharks can't score as always.

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 12:27 AM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhye View Post
But the opposing goalie still ended up being better.

This game and the Calgary game are typical Sharks playoff games. The opposing goalie ends up being a tad bit better and the Sharks can't score as always.
It's intensity off the puck, pure and simple. Joe Thornton is unwilling to skate hard the entire 60 minutes, and everyone else follows suit.

And a crap defense.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 01:35 AM
WineShark
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
It's intensity off the puck, pure and simple. Joe Thornton is unwilling to skate hard the entire 60 minutes, and everyone else follows suit.

And a crap defense.
Jumbo has been skating as hard as I've seen him skate. He's physical, recovering pucks, and separating players from pucks. The defense is getting beat down low more and more and exits are not getting better. But the biggest problem is team isn't moving the puck, skating off the puck, or moving through the neutral zone with speed. They are second to the puck in corners and when they win the battle for the puck, the player who should be supporting the play is slow coming back and the puck is turned over.

Sharks are not skating and that is hurting the team. Last year the team used its speed and didn't hold the puck. This year, defensemen stand with the puck and pass it back and forth behind Nabby until a centre comes back to support the exit play. I'd add that interference is not being really called again and that is clogging up the Sharks game too, but that is what happens in the playoffs so they might as well figure it out now.

By the way, Jay Leach looked pretty good tonight. He is a fair skater for a big man and did a good job supporting Boyle with recovery and making a first pass.

But to the OP .... its not Nabby

12-12-2009, 02:06 AM
SonomaShark
The sidebar is suck

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by WineShark View Post
Jumbo has been skating as hard as I've seen him skate. He's physical, recovering pucks, and separating players from pucks. The defense is getting beat down low more and more and exits are not getting better. But the biggest problem is team isn't moving the puck, skating off the puck, or moving through the neutral zone with speed. They are second to the puck in corners and when they win the battle for the puck, the player who should be supporting the play is slow coming back and the puck is turned over.

Sharks are not skating and that is hurting the team. Last year the team used its speed and didn't hold the puck. This year, defensemen stand with the puck and pass it back and forth behind Nabby until a centre comes back to support the exit play. I'd add that interference is not being really called again and that is clogging up the Sharks game too, but that is what happens in the playoffs so they might as well figure it out now.

By the way, Jay Leach looked pretty good tonight. He is a fair skater for a big man and did a good job supporting Boyle with recovery and making a first pass.

But to the OP .... its not Nabby
Not tonight, Jumbo, Patty, and Pavelski stopped skating after the first period. The defense was great tonight, Nabby was great tonight, and yes, Leach did a great job. They act like it's okay to sit on a one goal lead and play prevent defense, screw the offense. The PP is beyond pathetic, and the shoot out was even more pathetic than the PP. They're now 19-14 on the season with less wins and more losses than LA. Someone needs to wake the heck up!

SonomaShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 02:08 AM
Kitten Mittons

I agree. Thornton did stop skating after the first; but for the last 5 to 10 games or so, I've been very pleased with his effort; his defensive awareness is not nearly good enough to be skating on PK, but he hustles way more than he used to. However, I am not too sure I agree about your guys' assessment of Leach. He sucked in the first, was okay in the second, and then actually played well in the third. It's only his first game but I can't say he was good.

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 03:40 AM
shoot the puck

Quote:
The game winning goal was pathetic. My Grandma could've stopped that goal. It's goals like that that deflates a team, You can see the team go wtf!!!!

Nevermind. I didn't know the Sharks played tonight.

Last edited by shoot the puck: 12-12-2009 at 04:47 AM.
shoot the puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 10:39 AM
VP and GM
Havlat is gone!

Quote:
That was the best SO i've evern seen Nabby have - high save percentage, even know he lost it.

VP and GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 10:41 AM
TheGooooch
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthBaySharksFan View Post
Not tonight, Jumbo, Patty, and Pavelski stopped skating after the first period. The defense was great tonight, Nabby was great tonight, and yes, Leach did a great job. They act like it's okay to sit on a one goal lead and play prevent defense, screw the offense. The PP is beyond pathetic, and the shoot out was even more pathetic than the PP. They're now 19-14 on the season with less wins and more losses than LA. Someone needs to wake the heck up!
LA is a good team this year. So the references that indicate the Sharks suck because LA is close behind them don't work.

TheGooooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 10:05 AM
mfw13

Now that's what I'm talking about. Nabby outright stole last night's win against the Hawks, and that's what we need him to do in the playoffs far more often if we are going to make it to the Finals. There is no way we are going to make it if he doesn't steal us a few games or even a whole series, something he has not done in the past.

mfw13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 11:02 AM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoot the puck View Post
There was a big reason the Sharks lost last year. Mr 5 hole
You can point to the five hole all you want but it's not a big reason at all. That's just the end result of what was going on long before that even came to play. 10 goals in 6 games. An ineffective power play. An ineffective penalty kill. A team in front that wasn't clearing the zone or clearing the front of the net. A team that couldn't get the same amount of quality opportunities, let alone finishing them. Nabby's five hole is a reason but it's not even in my top ten of why the Sharks lost last year in the playoffs.

Pinkfloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 11:06 AM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfw13 View Post
Now that's what I'm talking about. Nabby outright stole last night's win against the Hawks, and that's what we need him to do in the playoffs far more often if we are going to make it to the Finals. There is no way we are going to make it if he doesn't steal us a few games or even a whole series, something he has not done in the past.
You're not going to steal four games like that in the playoffs. It doesn't happen and there's a lot more to it than just great goaltending play that makes it even seem like that. Most of the teams that make it look like the goalie stole it are able to prevent 2nd and 3rd opportunities and are able to clear the zone consistently. That is far more important for the Sharks to get a handle on than whether or not Nabokov can play lights out. He's not going to play stellar, and no goalie does, for two months of playoff hockey. The defense has to be there or the goalie makes no difference.

Old
12-23-2009, 11:16 AM
hockeyball

Quote:
You can point to the five hole all you want but it's not a big reason at all. That's just the end result of what was going on long before that even came to play. 10 goals in 6 games. An ineffective power play. An ineffective penalty kill. A team in front that wasn't clearing the zone or clearing the front of the net. A team that couldn't get the same amount of quality opportunities, let alone finishing them. Nabby's five hole is a reason but it's not even in my top ten of why the Sharks lost last year in the playoffs.
100% agree.

Nabby is just easy to point at because it only takes one finger.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 11:45 AM
SJeasy

Quote:
You're not going to steal four games like that in the playoffs. It doesn't happen and there's a lot more to it than just great goaltending play that makes it even seem like that. Most of the teams that make it look like the goalie stole it are able to prevent 2nd and 3rd opportunities and are able to clear the zone consistently. That is far more important for the Sharks to get a handle on than whether or not Nabokov can play lights out. He's not going to play stellar, and no goalie does, for two months of playoff hockey. The defense has to be there or the goalie makes no difference.
Use the point that was given to me. A team has to win 4 games each round. The top 3 offensive guys and the goalie have to carry the team for 3 wins each round, generally split 2 and 1 either way. The fourth win has to come from supporting players. If a goalie steals 2, the team should win. He isn't going to steal every game.

The only playoff series that I saw as an end-to-end goalie duel in recent memory was Nucks/Stars a couple of years ago.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 12:01 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
Use the point that was given to me. A team has to win 4 games each round. The top 3 offensive guys and the goalie have to carry the team for 3 wins each round, generally split 2 and 1 either way. The fourth win has to come from supporting players. If a goalie steals 2, the team should win. He isn't going to steal every game.

The only playoff series that I saw as an end-to-end goalie duel in recent memory was Nucks/Stars a couple of years ago.
Yeah but it's the easy way out to point to the goalies as the biggest reason for that series. The goalies played damn great but the five guys in front of them played excellently in front of the net. That was an instance where both the Stars and Nucks were just brilliant at preventing a high amount of quality opportunities and clearing out the rebounds. There were a lot of one and dones in that series and sustained pressure in the front of the cage was almost non-existent.

Old
12-23-2009, 12:30 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Yeah but it's the easy way out to point to the goalies as the biggest reason for that series. The goalies played damn great but the five guys in front of them played excellently in front of the net. That was an instance where both the Stars and Nucks were just brilliant at preventing a high amount of quality opportunities and clearing out the rebounds. There were a lot of one and dones in that series and sustained pressure in the front of the cage was almost non-existent.
It also has to do with the degree of trap employed by each team. Both teams ran a lot of one man forechecks in that series. That means low scoring and leads to the one and dones as well.

What I find interesting in recent history is that the heavy trap teams tend to exit the playoffs early. It is like each coach decides if his team can compete offensively each round and if the coach's answer is NO, then he goes to the one-man forecheck. Almost all of the teams that do that exit early. You can almost tell who will advance by how much a coach is willing to risk. Last year, the three teams in the west that dared to play all out offense throughout were the Hawks, Wings and Flames. The east was about the same, offense ruled. After their great run to make it to round one, the Blues went one-man and failed miserably, no offense. If I were coaching, I would take my chances with playing with less conservatism.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 05:17 PM
VP and GM
Havlat is gone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfw13 View Post
Right on! He was great last night..

VP and GM is offline   Reply With Quote