HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Souray Being Shopped?

Old
12-06-2009, 09:08 PM
Soli
Supervision Required

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
I've read it in a couple of media reports. I'm sure there would be a thread in the Flyers board
I thought it was more of a divide with Richard not being a vocal enough leader in the dressing room and Pronger thinking he can do a better job but not wanting to "step on [Richard's] toes".

Soli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 09:14 PM
Shizuka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
I thought it was more of a divide with Richard not being a vocal enough leader in the dressing room and Pronger thinking he can do a better job but not wanting to "step on [Richard's] toes".
That's more of an accurate read, from checking out the Flyers' board here and also listening to what Matheson said in today's Hockey World section. Pronger called out people for being passengers after the team hit a skid in the last 6 games, and was asked to comment on things -- one of the responses regarding leadership and specifically the job Richards is doing. It doesn't seem quite as volatile as some make it out to be, but by all accounts Richards is struggling a bit under the weight of leadership, given his quiet, non-vocal style.

As I understand it, there *is* or at least was a big problem with things off the ice involving younger players and partying. Holmgren even commented on it! But that was a while ago, perhaps things have changed. Anyways, sorry to go off topic.

Shizuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 09:14 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
Yeah, there has not been a report that the team hates Pronger. There was one media report saying there is a split between the younger guys (Richards' party buddies) prefer Richards' style of leadership while the veterans prefer Pronger's style.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 09:21 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Just Walk Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
Yeah, there has not been a report that the team hates Pronger. There was one media report saying there is a split between the younger guys (Richards' party buddies) prefer Richards' style of leadership while the veterans prefer Pronger's style.
Pronger is a pretty big tool of a human being, so it's not surprising.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 09:24 PM
deanmoriarty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Pronger is a pretty big tool of a human being, so it's not surprising.
hahaha my thoughts exactly

deanmoriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 09:39 PM
bluesteel

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanmoriarty View Post
hahaha my thoughts exactly
A tool that anyone of us would love to have on our team..Philly brings a guy with Prongers credentials (Stanley cup champ and Olympic gold medalist) its surprising to hear, he doesn't garner more respect....

I wonder if one of the younger guy's, has a girlfriend/wife in news reporting..... that could explain alot

bluesteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 09:55 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Just Walk Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesteel View Post
A tool that anyone of us would love to have on our team..Philly brings a guy with Prongers credentials (Stanley cup champ and Olympic gold medalist) its surprising to hear, he doesn't garner more respect....

I wonder if one of the younger guy's, has a girlfriend/wife in news reporting..... that could explain alot
Maybe, but he's getting up there in age, and looking at the needs that this team has, Pronger isn't a major one. Shea Weber on the other hand.

Old
12-06-2009, 10:02 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizuka View Post
That's more of an accurate read, from checking out the Flyers' board here and also listening to what Matheson said in today's Hockey World section. Pronger called out people for being passengers after the team hit a skid in the last 6 games, and was asked to comment on things -- one of the responses regarding leadership and specifically the job Richards is doing. It doesn't seem quite as volatile as some make it out to be, but by all accounts Richards is struggling a bit under the weight of leadership, given his quiet, non-vocal style.

As I understand it, there *is* or at least was a big problem with things off the ice involving younger players and partying. Holmgren even commented on it! But that was a while ago, perhaps things have changed. Anyways, sorry to go off topic.
i think that is the Flyer freindly version of the story. I can't recall wehre I heard it, some reporter here or there, but they stated that there was a lot of fighthing, and basically the teams thinks Pronger has a giant ego and is all around D bag

any way, just saying that is what I heard. Where there is smoke, sometimes there is fire.

okgooil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 10:05 PM
Senor Catface

vCash: 1937
Was I the only person that thought of photoshop first?

Senor Catface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 10:20 PM
enthropi
Hiss Hiss (TKA) Hiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesteel View Post

I still wonder how come he didn't pull the "eh, it's Pronger Physics babe" excuse on that one...

enthropi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 01:23 AM
harpoon
FOB

If the oilers trade Souray for a grab bag of crap I'm going to lose it .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Souray
Cogliano

for

Filatov
Hejda

Maybe add in Modin if the BJs want to dump additional salary, we'll take him for a year.

Filatov is a sweet talent but no way we should have to give up that much for him . The kid has an attitude that makes Shremp look humble . I'm sure you've read the Puck Daddy translation of the interview Filatoiv gave to the Russian media after running home with his tail between his legs . In case you haven't ....

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/...aining-content

... somehow I don't see a big future for him in Columbus . Howson is probably praying someone calls up and offers a player like Souray .

Last edited by harpoon: 12-07-2009 at 01:39 AM. Reason: added link
harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 01:29 AM
ThePresent83

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
Me too.... but a grab bag of solid picks and prospects would garner my interest

ThePresent83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 01:45 AM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePresent83 View Post
Me too.... but a grab bag of solid picks and prospects would garner my interest
Nope . That's the problem with grab bags - you can't peek inside to see if you've got "solid" or "solid crap" . I'll take a pick as an add on to the deal sure , but if we are trading Souray we better be getting a quality player back . And by quality I mean a guy who has already proven he can play in the NHL .

Still , its a dumb idea . Why trade him at all ?

Old
12-07-2009, 01:58 AM
Yeah15
2nd Tier Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by camboy View Post
So are you saying...

Ryan >>> Hemsky or Souray = O'Donnell
Obviously not, but the chances of Ryan for Souray going down is just as likely as Hemsky for O'Donnell. Incredibly unlikely.

Yeah15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 02:18 AM
TheBusDriver
Private Eyes

I dont care who we trade with as long as we get a sniper and a 3rd line FO man.

TheBusDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 02:41 AM
ThePresent83

Quote:
Nope . That's the problem with grab bags - you can't peek inside to see if you've got "solid" or "solid crap" . I'll take a pick as an add on to the deal sure , but if we are trading Souray we better be getting a quality player back . And by quality I mean a guy who has already proven he can play in the NHL .

Still , its a dumb idea . Why trade him at all ?
Souray isnt a player im really jumping on to trade either.... id rather see some others go first. But if we are going to trade Souray, i think our plan is to go into full rebuild (at least i would hope thats the plan) and as such i would rather get prospects and picks, if teams didnt rebuild, there wouldnt be the pittsburghs and the chicagos and the washingtons right now.

Trades in the NHL USUALLY have a buyer and a seller now.. you dont see nearly as many good NHLer for good NHLer trades anymore. You see stuff like, A good player now traded for a great player later, or eliet players now traded for a package of high picks and top prospects.

We need to go in a certain direction... no lateral moves

ThePresent83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 02:45 AM
Homesick
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:

Filatov is a sweet talent but no way we should have to give up that much for him . The kid has an attitude that makes Shremp look humble . I'm sure you've read the Puck Daddy translation of the interview Filatoiv gave to the Russian media after running home with his tail between his legs . In case you haven't ....

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/...aining-content

... somehow I don't see a big future for him in Columbus . Howson is probably praying someone calls up and offers a player like Souray .
I didnt think the interview was that bad. His agent negotiated for him to be in a better league if he wasnt in the NHL.

Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 05:32 AM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
I didnt think the interview was that bad.
Cool . I thought he sounded like a selfish prat .

Quote:
His agent negotiated for him to be in a better league if he wasnt in the NHL.
Which looks like a giant loophole in the salary cap to me . Filativ says that the Jackets got cap relief and his KHL team pays his salary so everybody is happy . So does that mean that any team can swing a backroom deal with a KHL franchise to take an underperforming/disgruntled asset off their hands ? And get cap relief by saying that the player has fled to the KHL ?

Old
12-07-2009, 05:53 AM
enthropi
Hiss Hiss (TKA) Hiss

Quote:
Cool . I thought he sounded like a selfish prat .

Which looks like a giant loophole in the salary cap to me . Filativ says that the Jackets got cap relief and his KHL team pays his salary so everybody is happy . So does that mean that any team can swing a backroom deal with a KHL franchise to take an underperforming/disgruntled asset off their hands ? And get cap relief by saying that the player has fled to the KHL ?
Horcoff, welcome to Kazakhstan...

I don't see the big deal, if he was sent to the minors he'd be off the books too, makes no difference. (As long as he isn't waiver eligible, then he'd have to go through waivers anyway)

enthropi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 06:33 AM
hemskysuncle

trading Souray just doesn't make sense. he brings things that no other d-man on the Oilers brings - authority...proven last game where I think he made his proper return after his concussion.

If you are going to trade a d-man from the Oilers, trade something we have a lot of - soft puckmovers - Gilbert Grebs and Visnovsky - as much as i like any of them, or anyone likes any of them, they are the "abundance" that the oilers have (along with small "skilled" unproven forwards)...not rugged leaders with leg breaking slapshots.

hemskysuncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 06:51 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gags and Gilby View Post
Horcoff(5.5) + Souray(5.4) for Staal(8.25) + Ward(2.5)

We are giving up 10.9 million for 10.75 million
We finally receive a number one centre and we get rid of an albatross contract.
OOOO!!! Edmonton would throw in 2 first rounders to make that deal come true!

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 06:55 AM
OilerzFRLife

souray nilsson 1st round pick for kovalchuk (assuming he will sign with us)

OilerzFRLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 07:45 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Just Walk Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerzFRLife View Post
And Atlanta just hangs up the phone.

Old
12-07-2009, 08:05 AM
gqmixmaster

vCash: 862
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerzFRLife View Post
more like gagner, cogliano, souray and a 1st

gqmixmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 08:20 AM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by gqmixmaster View Post
more like gagner, cogliano, souray and a 1st
more like Kovalchuk is not going to Edmonton.

Tad Mikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote