HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Recreational sports in San Jose area

Old
12-06-2009, 01:46 PM
Pangu

vCash: 500
OT: Recreational sports in San Jose area

Hey, I have a friend in Mountain View who is interested in playing in an adult recreational league (casual Volleyball, Ultimate, basketball, etc). Anyone know the best leagues/organizations to join near Mountain View or San Jose in general?

Thanks

Pangu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 03:29 PM
MrCowGod15

I'm sure there are a bunch of adult rec leagues in SJ. However, I don't know of any specifics. If your friend plays roller and/or ice hockey, I can help you out.

MrCowGod15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 03:35 PM
TheGooooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCowGod15 View Post
I'm sure there are a bunch of adult rec leagues in SJ. However, I don't know of any specifics. If your friend plays roller and/or ice hockey, I can help you out.
Yeah, that is pretty much the only thing I could help them out on too.

TheGooooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 08:27 PM
Pangu

Unfortunately, he is not, but thanks anyways.

Pangu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 10:35 PM
tunafish

There's a floorball club in Mountain View. They're good guys.

http://www.bayareafloorball.com/

tunafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 12:00 AM
Christianmichael27

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGooooch View Post
Yeah, that is pretty much the only thing I could help them out on too.
how many people here play at The Silvercreek Sports complex?

Christianmichael27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 12:07 AM
Chomped

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Stanley 4 SJ View Post

Chomped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 12:13 AM
johnan2112

Quote:
I do!

johnan2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 12:21 AM
Christianmichael27

I just started playing about 6 months ago but I want to start a D7 team in January when they start the league up again.

Old
12-07-2009, 12:32 AM
johnan2112

Quote:
I just started playing about 6 months ago but I want to start a D7 team in January when they start the league up again.
Are you doing the beginner's league on Mondays?

Old
12-07-2009, 12:42 AM
TheGooooch

I actually just stopped playing there, taking a break from roller. I was playing D5 Sundays

Old
12-07-2009, 01:40 AM
Christianmichael27

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnan2112 View Post
Are you doing the beginner's league on Mondays?
Yup, I also take the class on Wednesday's with Travis. I'm starting out here and then I eventually want to play ice as well but I figure why waste all the money on ice hockey when you can play roller for a while and get the fundamentals down

Old
12-07-2009, 11:07 AM
savage18ss

don't mean to hijack, but I'm interested in getting into some ice hockey. I've gone to a few gretzky hours just to get some practice in but I was wondering what the next step should be. I think being full time on a team would be too much right now but I would like to sub in on some teams, just don't know what the best way to do that is. Any classes you guys recommend? I saw some classes being offered starting in January at Logitech.

savage18ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 03:37 PM
wishman

Quote:
Originally Posted by savage18ss View Post
don't mean to hijack, but I'm interested in getting into some ice hockey. I've gone to a few gretzky hours just to get some practice in but I was wondering what the next step should be. I think being full time on a team would be too much right now but I would like to sub in on some teams, just don't know what the best way to do that is. Any classes you guys recommend? I saw some classes being offered starting in January at Logitech.
It will be difficult to jump on just as a sub. Most teams have plenty of people who want to sub, so to get started on a team you'll likely need to commit to full-time.

I would strongly recommend taking the beginner adult hockey class Saturday mornings at Sharksice. Then try to join full-time on a team for the Spring season starting in April. The best way to do this would be to put yourself on the free agent list when sign-ups start. Also with going to class you'll meet people on different teams who are likely looking for players.

wishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 06:10 PM
savage18ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishman View Post
It will be difficult to jump on just as a sub. Most teams have plenty of people who want to sub, so to get started on a team you'll likely need to commit to full-time.

I would strongly recommend taking the beginner adult hockey class Saturday mornings at Sharksice. Then try to join full-time on a team for the Spring season starting in April. The best way to do this would be to put yourself on the free agent list when sign-ups start. Also with going to class you'll meet people on different teams who are likely looking for players.
Thanks Wishman, Thats the class I was thinking about joining, think it starts Jan 9. What kind of time commitment would I be looking at if I were to find a full time slot? I think theres like 20 games plus plyoffs? Is the cost really $500 and do I have to pay it all upfront? any info much appreciated thanks.

Old
12-07-2009, 06:15 PM
johnan2112

Quote:
Yup, I also take the class on Wednesday's with Travis. I'm starting out here and then I eventually want to play ice as well but I figure why waste all the money on ice hockey when you can play roller for a while and get the fundamentals down
Do you play in the games after the clinic on Monday? If so, I'll see ya there tonight.

Old
12-07-2009, 06:17 PM
TheGooooch

Quote:
Thanks Wishman, Thats the class I was thinking about joining, think it starts Jan 9. What kind of time commitment would I be looking at if I were to find a full time slot? I think theres like 20 games plus plyoffs? Is the cost really $500 and do I have to pay it all upfront? any info much appreciated thanks.
I played the summer session last year and it was $440 for me to do fulltime. That depends on the team and how many people they have though. 2 preseason, 20 reg season and playoffs. Winter costs more

Old
12-07-2009, 06:32 PM
Christianmichael27

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnan2112 View Post
Do you play in the games after the clinic on Monday? If so, I'll see ya there tonight.
I play sometimes, I haven't registered as a member or played the monthly dues yet so I only play when we are short some players and I can beg the guy. I go with my brother and some other friends.

Old
12-07-2009, 06:39 PM
savage18ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGooooch View Post
I played the summer session last year and it was $440 for me to do fulltime. That depends on the team and how many people they have though. 2 preseason, 20 reg season and playoffs. Winter costs more
Thanks for the heads up. is there anything I should focus on to be a better "candidate" for a team? Little worried I wont be able to find a team. i know it really depends on the league youre in (thinking about getting my feet wet in 3E) but whats the schedule like? night games, weekends? 2 or 3 games a week?

Old
12-07-2009, 07:15 PM
xMARCStheSPOT

Send a message via AIM to xMARCStheSPOT Send a message via MSN to xMARCStheSPOT Send a message via Yahoo to xMARCStheSPOT
Quote:
I do! Sundays D6. I should be in D5, but i like my team too much to move up they are a great bunch of guys.

xMARCStheSPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 11:17 PM
wishman

Quote:
For Winter season, cost was about $575 per person and that was for 2 pre-season, 22 regular season, + playoffs. Spring season is 2 pre-season, 16 regular, + 2 playoffs. I think this was about $450 per person.

Costs will differ depending on the team as teams may carry different number of paying players and include some half-time spots. You generally have to pay up front, but can charge to a credit card.

Old
12-07-2009, 11:27 PM
wishman

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up. is there anything I should focus on to be a better "candidate" for a team? Little worried I wont be able to find a team. i know it really depends on the league youre in (thinking about getting my feet wet in 3E) but whats the schedule like? night games, weekends? 2 or 3 games a week?
Again, best thing to do is network during the adult class to find people looking for players. You should also watch a couple of the league games and gauge where you think you might fit. Generally, people tend to over-estimate their abilities, so it's probably best to start in the lower range of where you are looking to play.

Games are typically once a week with the occasional off week. For E games, they will usually be Sunday and Monday night although there are the occasional Sunday afternoon or other night games thrown in. Night games typically start from 9pm to as late at 11:15pm. Sunday they could be earlier. Winter season tends to have a higher percentage of late games (I think my team has had half its games start at 10:45pm or later).

Hope that helps. I was in your shoes about 2+ years ago when I just started to play with very limited skating skills. Recreational hockey isn't an inexpensive hobby, but it's a blast to play.