HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Is Marleau a Franchise Player?

View Poll Results: Is Marleau a Franchise Player?
Yes 9 7.44%
No 105 86.78%
I don't know. 7 5.79%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-06-2009, 05:15 PM
Wario Lemieux*

vCash: 500
Is Marleau a Franchise Player?

Well, is he?

Wario Lemieux* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 05:40 PM
Burnaby_Joe*

I don't think so.

Burnaby_Joe* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 06:27 PM
Flames Fanatic
Man Shifty is Good!

Its difficult, considering he is an excellent player and has spent his entire career with the Sharks. I want to say yes, but to me the stats just don't fit. Only broken 80 points once, and has had excellent PPG seasons and has had some off seasons.

I'm voted Don't Know

Flames Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 06:37 PM
revolverjgw

God no. Never put up elite numbers and hasn't done anything in the playoffs in years. Franchise players tend to... accomplish things.

revolverjgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 06:39 PM
Rooooooooooxxxanne*

Not even close.

Rooooooooooxxxanne* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 06:43 PM
BostonAJ

I'm of the thinking that there's only 10ish franchise players in the NHL. I think there's only a handful of players that you could really build a team around.

I read in another thread the idea that a franchise player is someone you consider the face of a team. I thought that was an interesting way to look at it. Makes Mike Modano and Daniel Alfredsson franchise players.

Either way, Marleau doesn't fit. I do think he's a very underrated player however. I'm a fan.

BostonAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 10:09 PM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

I have to say though it is kind of weird that in his 30s the guy is playing the best hockey he's ever played. You have to wonder how much Ron Wilson held this guy back.

EDIT: maybe it was just me his stats are pretty similar under Ron wilson. Nevermind.

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 10:47 PM
M.C.G. 31

vCash: 597
He's just playing his best now -- at the age of 30. By no means is he a franchise player. Is he a good player? Yes. But a franchise player? Now that's taking it a bit too far.

M.C.G. 31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 10:51 PM
Wario Lemieux*

Does time spent with one club add anything to earn the title franchise player?

Wario Lemieux* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 11:33 PM
Sean Garrity
Shut up and Dance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wario Lemieux View Post
Does time spent with one club add anything to earn the title franchise player?
In general, I think it is more along the lines of a player you build a franchise around. So no tenure has nothing to do with it.

Sean Garrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 12:39 AM
Winky

Quote:
Originally Posted by karacter View Post
In general, I think it is more along the lines of a player you build a franchise around. So no tenure has nothing to do with it.
I agree with this. For example, Saku Koivu spent all those years with Montreal. Franchise player? Nope. Very solid, good player? Absolutely.

I wouldn't consider Marleau the type of player a team chooses to build around, but that's just me.

Winky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 03:10 AM
Washington Capitals

No, he's not.

Washington Capitals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 04:09 AM
4rde

Nope but its pretty close. If he had slightly better offensive numbers then i'd say yes.

4rde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 04:21 AM
CrosbyCrosby*

No, but Thornton is.

CrosbyCrosby* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 04:22 AM
Blades of Glory
Troll Captain

Looking at his numbers, it's easy to say no. But taking everything into account, Patrick Marleau is the epitome of a franchise player.

He played his first NHL game in October 1997, a few months after the Sharks drafted him second overall behind this other guy that currently plays for them.

There are three players still playing in the NHL that played on their current teams (and stayed on them in the 11 years since) when Patrick Marleau played his first NHL game for the Sharks. Their names are Brodeur, Lidstrom, and Iginla.

If that doesn't define franchise player, I don't know what does. He might not have the numbers or accomplishments that franchise players typically have, but in all senses, he is a franchise player.

A franchise player doesn't have to be the best player on his team. But if Marleau is not a franchise player, what does that phrase even mean? The Sharks have built a franchise around Marleau, Nabokov, and since his arrival, Thornton. What more can people want from a "franchise player" than what Marleau has given to the Sharks? Consistently one of their best players over the 11 seasons. Unbelievable loyalty. Taking less money to re-sign. Giving up the captaincy, then coming out and dominating the next season.

Last edited by Blades of Glory: 12-07-2009 at 04:32 AM.
Blades of Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 04:24 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

I love Marleau as a supplementary player, but the answer is no. He's one of the best second scorers in a generation or more, but he can't succeed as the top guy.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 04:39 AM
Hybbe

When I hear the phrase Franchise Player I think of guys who are the faces of their respective franchise; Iggy for the flames, Alfie the sens, Nash blue jackets etc, and when I think of the sharks I think of Thornton, not Marleau, so my answer is no.

Hybbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 04:57 AM
Arpeggio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades of Glory View Post
Looking at his numbers, it's easy to say no. But taking everything into account, Patrick Marleau is the epitome of a franchise player.

He played his first NHL game in October 1997, a few months after the Sharks drafted him second overall behind this other guy that currently plays for them.

There are three players still playing in the NHL that played on their current teams (and stayed on them in the 11 years since) when Patrick Marleau played his first NHL game for the Sharks. Their names are Brodeur, Lidstrom, and Iginla.

If that doesn't define franchise player, I don't know what does. He might not have the numbers or accomplishments that franchise players typically have, but in all senses, he is a franchise player.

A franchise player doesn't have to be the best player on his team. But if Marleau is not a franchise player, what does that phrase even mean? The Sharks have built a franchise around Marleau, Nabokov, and since his arrival, Thornton. What more can people want from a "franchise player" than what Marleau has given to the Sharks? Consistently one of their best players over the 11 seasons. Unbelievable loyalty. Taking less money to re-sign. Giving up the captaincy, then coming out and dominating the next season.
The Sharks did not build their team around Marleau. They would be nowhere without Thornton. Therefore, Thornton is the franchise player. Ryan Smyth had been an Oiler for many years, but in 06, he was not the franchise player, Pronger was, and he only played here for one year.

Arpeggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 05:50 AM
tarlinian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpeggio View Post
The Sharks did not build their team around Marleau. They would be nowhere without Thornton. Therefore, Thornton is the franchise player. Ryan Smyth had been an Oiler for many years, but in 06, he was not the franchise player, Pronger was, and he only played here for one year.
I know this is speaking in hindsight, but if Thornton hadn't been dumped in Doug Wilson's lap the franchise would have been built around Marleau. Whether or not you consider him a franchise player really depends on your definition of the term. (And generally speaking, for a lot of Sharks' fans, the player we think of as a Shark is Marleau, not Thornton.) Taken in context, who on the Sharks are franchise player, Nabby, Thornton, Boyle or Marleau? Thornton certainly is. The rest are all somewhat debatable. Would he be the best player on several teams, yes? Does that imply he's a franchise forward? It's questionable. The reason it's plausible for Sharks fans is because there are often stretches where Marleau is the best player on the team and is still the face of the franchise to a lot of fans.

tarlinian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 06:00 AM
SP

By my definition, no.

If a player can be the clear best player on the team, at any position, and that team could win a cup like that, then he's a franchise player, in my mind.

I don't think a team with Marleau as their overall best contributor would likely compete for he cup.

SP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 11:57 AM
Sean Garrity
Shut up and Dance!

Quote:

Umm..yes he does, unless your name is Malkin/Crosby.

Sean Garrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 01:18 PM
TheGooooch
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Tooth Grin View Post
By my definition, no.

If a player can be the clear best player on the team, at any position, and that team could win a cup like that, then he's a franchise player, in my mind.

I don't think a team with Marleau as their overall best contributor would likely compete for he cup.
He led the team in points in the regular season and was 2 points behind Damphousse in the playoffs the year they went to the conference finals.

TheGooooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 02:13 PM
loadie
Official Beer Taster

Nope.

The French Canadian rule: Read about it, go to bed smarter.

http://ultimatehockeynetwork.com/the...-or-fiction-2/
loadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 03:21 PM
matt trick

1) I think there is some confusion around face of the franchise vs. franchise player. Thornton is the franchise player, but Marleau represents the Sharks.

2) People point out Marleau can't get it done. Pretty sure we made it to the WCF on the strength of his two hat tricks and he was two points behind Damphousse for the team lead. The next playoff year he was our best player in the playoffs with 14 points in 11 games. Patty is very good in the playoffs.

3) He is not a franchise player, but if he maintained his 80 point pace, with top end defensive abilities, I'd have no problem putting him in the class with Zetterberg of elite two-way players.

matt trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 03:40 PM
revolverjgw

Quote:

Maybe I'm reading wrong, do you mean to say "there are ONLY three players...", that's what I read it as. Elias, Pandolfo, Draper, Maltby, Lehtinen, Modano, Alfredsson, Phillips, Doan, etc, they've been on their respective teams longer than Marleau.

revolverjgw is offline   Reply With Quote