Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jokinen-Iginla need a LW

Old
12-07-2009, 03:54 PM
gabeliscious

vCash: 500
any interest in poni from the leafs? hes a pending free agent and could probably be had for a 2nd at this point? leafs also have hagman who could potentially be had as well depending on what might be available coming back to other way.

gabeliscious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 04:30 PM
flames123

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreakingRed View Post
We don't need a guy who's gonna whine and cry when he's asked to play a role he doesn't like. Do you honestly think Darryl Sutter would re-acquire him after that? I doubt it.

I respect the fact that Tanguay requested his trade behind closed doors and didn't make it a big distraction for the team, and I think he's a good player, but I would never trade a steady Defenseman like Sarich for Tanguay. If he had a problem playing defensively and doing things like killing penalties (something he was actually very good at, too) when he was here, why would that change this time around under a defensive-minded coach like Brent Sutter? Going into the post-season, I'd rather have Sarich on this team than Tanguay, any day.
Yes Sarich>>>>>Tanguay, but what we could get to go along with tanguay could be very good for our team. We could package Sarich and one of our 4 bottom pairing D-men and get tanguay plus another solid D man in return (Krajicek, not too many options beside him). In the off season we would have to re-sign pelech, and he may not be happy spending another year in the minors and I think he's ready to play in the NHL. Our team can't keep holding back all of our D men in the minors. The only expiring D contract is Johnson, so we would still have 7 D. Unless Sutter wants to carry 8D men next year as well (we wouldn't bring Pelech up at his age just to be a scratch half the time, so that would mean that Pardy and Kronwall would be our regular scratches, ecen after Pardy would have been a full timer the last two years. Sarich needs to be moved to make room for forward re-signings (Bourque, Nystrom both looking for raises and Jokinen taking a small pay deduction if he stays.) No matter which way you look at it a D men has to be moved and Sarich is just the odd man out.

EDIT: or package Sarich with one of our bottom 6 PK guys to get Tanguay +.

flames123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 04:31 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
We don't need a guy who's gonna whine and cry when he's asked to play a role he doesn't like. Do you honestly think Darryl Sutter would re-acquire him after that? I doubt it.

I respect the fact that Tanguay requested his trade behind closed doors and didn't make it a big distraction for the team, and I think he's a good player, but I would never trade a steady Defenseman like Sarich for Tanguay. If he had a problem playing defensively and doing things like killing penalties (something he was actually very good at, too) when he was here, why would that change this time around under a defensive-minded coach like Brent Sutter? Going into the post-season, I'd rather have Sarich on this team than Tanguay, any day.
to be fair you don't know the real reasons he left... just the crap people say on the internet... people assume it was because he was being misused... and it might be... but asking for a trade quietly while still doing your job and working hard is hardly whining and crying

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 04:33 PM
cdutka

Quote:
100% agree, I do not see Tanguay coming back.

cdutka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 04:35 PM
flames123

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabeliscious View Post
any interest in poni from the leafs? hes a pending free agent and could probably be had for a 2nd at this point? leafs also have hagman who could potentially be had as well depending on what might be available coming back to other way.
No interest in the Leaf's junk unless its free. We would not give up a 2nd for Poni, maybe a 3rd and a conditional if he re-signs.

Old
12-07-2009, 04:37 PM
cdutka

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames123 View Post
No interest in the Leaf's junk unless its free. We would not give up a 2nd for Poni, maybe a 3rd and a conditional if he re-signs.
even free costs us one player.

cdutka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 04:44 PM
flames123

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdutka View Post
even free costs us one player.
They can have Germyn

Old
12-07-2009, 05:17 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
are you seriously that stupid? no one was offering Leafs junk... Hagman & Poni are legit 2nd liners

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 05:23 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
to be fair you don't know the real reasons he left... just the crap people say on the internet... people assume it was because he was being misused... and it might be...
http://www.canada.com/montrealgazett...3-98620e82c887

Quote:
"I wasn't happy with the role I had in Calgary," Tanguay said on the phone from his summer home outside Quebec City.

"I talked to (Flames general manager Darryl Sutter) after the season and we came to a mutual agreement that it would be better for both parties if we went our separate ways." Tanguay, who started his NHL career with Colorado, had 81 points in 2006-07 with the Flames, but his production tailed off as head coach Mike Keenan used him in a more defensive role. He had 18 goals, 40 assists and a plus-15 rating.

"I didn't play a lot on the power play and with my salary ($5.25 million), I thought the team could get more for their money," Tanguay said.

Quote:
No interest in the Leaf's junk unless its free.

I wouldn't call Hagman junk. That's a guy that can play on my team anytime.

Last edited by StreakingRed: 12-07-2009 at 06:34 PM.
StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 05:27 PM
flames123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
are you seriously that stupid? no one was offering Leafs junk... Hagman & Poni are legit 2nd liners
Yes, I know. And I would say Hagman is a 1st liner with the points he's putting up this year. I was more so saying that it was a junk trade, I just didn't word it right.

Old
12-07-2009, 05:53 PM
RangerFan_48

Anyone besides me notice that the first line played pretty well when Lundmark was on it?

RangerFan_48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 06:09 PM
Codes

Tanguay was relegated to 3rd line grinding duties, which is likely why he would have asked for a trade. I suspect he'd come back knowing he'd be playing with Jokinen and Iginla. I think he'd do very well on that line, and his cap hit at the deadline would be pretty easy to absorb.

Codes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 06:48 PM
flames123

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan_48 View Post
Anyone besides me notice that the first line played pretty well when Lundmark was on it?
They sure did, including Lundmark. Lundmark has averaged 1/2 PPG over his career. And those 1/2PPG were usually nice goals and passes (not like Moss'... no offence to him). Does anyone know why he isn't on some teams top 6 by now? I see he makes mistakes often, so is it maybe just his hockey sense? Theory's from anyone?

Old
12-07-2009, 07:33 PM
GoFlames

Quote:

No offence SR but that sounds a tad jaded. Tanguay did not have a hissy fit like Heatley or other similiar whiners. The next eyar battling injuries he was critical in Montreal.

Keenan was well... not easy to deal with (read Kipper as well). Sutter knows Iginla needs a LW, both Sutters do (read: 8 left wingers used so far). It is an obvious thing to solve. This is the gaping wound on the team now imo. This has replaced (maybe) the previous such issue of a backup goalie. McE is playing well and putting up solid backup numbers.

Iginla and Tanguay know each other and put up fantastic numbers together. I believe Tanguay had 25 goals and 80 points and Iginla had 50 goals and around 100 points.

We have 6 players who are hard core and very successful PKers now like Nystrom, Borque, Glencross etc who were not here several years back.

Most importantly the Flames have a real coach who knows and fosters each players unique set of skills and lessens their weaknesses. To me I would do a back flip if we get Tanguay back.

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 07:36 PM
GoFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabeliscious View Post
Those are two other solid options. I forget if they are LW though. I would prefer a natural left winger (not a NDP type though).

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 08:00 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFlames View Post
No offence SR but that sounds a tad jaded. Tanguay did not have a hissy fit like Heatley or other similiar whiners.

I don't recall Heatley having a "hissy fit" either, he just came off lookin' like a d--chebag for turnin' down the trade to Edmonton (kudos to him, ), and I did say I respected the fact that Tanguay handled his trade request as professionally as he did, but he still requested a trade because he didn't like his role, not much different than Heatley's situation. The role he wasn't happy with was playing defensively. If you think he wouldn't be asked to play defensively again under Brent Sutter, you're foolin' yourself.

If we did bring back Tanguay, as much as I would not like to see him back, I can't say it wouldn't make sense, given his salary and his past chemistry with Iginla. It's not that it would be a bad move, it's just that I don't like Tanguay, lol. Besides, just because they once had chemistry doesn't mean that would be the case again (see: Regehr and Leopold's 2nd stint here).

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 08:34 PM
flamesfan12

Send a message via AIM to flamesfan12 Send a message via MSN to flamesfan12 Send a message via Yahoo to flamesfan12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacem View Post
Just say no to trading Sarich.
Agreed. Seriously guys Sarich is going nowhere. Getting really tired of always hearing him in trade proposals.You would think with all the injury problems we have had the last couple seasons on defence especially in the playoffs people would want to keep our depth. As much as Pardy and Johnson have played well they can't play top 4 minutes like Sarich can. He's reliable and he's proven he can play top 4 minutes. Add in the fact that he is an absolute beast in the playoffs as well. He's here to stay.

flamesfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 08:44 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Dust Buster

vCash: 50
Quote:
I don't recall Heatley having a "hissy fit" either, he just came off lookin' like a d--chebag for turnin' down the trade to Edmonton (kudos to him, ), and I did say I respected the fact that Tanguay handled his trade request as professionally as he did, but he still requested a trade because he didn't like his role, not much different than Heatley's situation. The role he wasn't happy with was playing defensively. If you think he wouldn't be asked to play defensively again under Brent Sutter, you're foolin' yourself.

If we did bring back Tanguay, as much as I would not like to see him back, I can't say it wouldn't make sense, given his salary and his past chemistry with Iginla. It's not that it would be a bad move, it's just that I don't like Tanguay, lol. Besides, just because they once had chemistry doesn't mean that would be the case again (see: Regehr and Leopold's 2nd stint here).
Tanguay never said he minded playing a defensive style of hockey, he and Sutter both agreed that because of his salary the money could be used better somewhere else. I honestly can't think of a LW in the game that is more suited to be play with Iginla and Jokinen. Tanguay could pass all game, with those 2 I wouldn't care if he even shot once. He does have awesome vision, and past chemistry with Iginla. And for all the naysayers about Tanguay playing under B. Sutter, the Flames are among the leaders in goals in the league so it is not as if they are playing a Lemaire system of hockey.

I do like Sarich, but I have already said his days are numbered. His absence would not be as servere as losing a Regehr, Dion or J-bo. With those 3, he is replacable and that would give us 2 top lines that could rival any team in the NHL. Meanwhile it would still leave us with an elite defence as we are already have in place playing without Sarich for a large portion of the year.

Johnny Hoxville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 09:22 PM
Skobel24
#Ignited

Wouldn't mind seeing Lundmark on the top line for a bit longer. I'm torn on Sarich. If we dealt him, we could get that top line LW, but it does set our D a bit thin, especilly if we get an injury.

Last edited by Skobel24: 12-07-2009 at 09:27 PM.
Skobel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 09:33 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

vCash: 1000
Quote:
I don't think the problem was so much that he had to play defensively, but rather who he was playing with and how his role went from first line offensive threat with Iginla to second line penalty killer with some PP time. If I remember correctly, he spent much of that season playing on the second line with Conroy and Nolan, neither of which were exactly offensive dynamos. So, yes the situation certainly draws some parallels with Heatley's in that neither player were happy with their offensive roles being reduced in space of increased defensive assignments but I don't think it would really be a problem with Sutter. So long as he played well defensively and followed the system, he would be given ample time on the first line with Iginla and to do what he could offensively. But I don't see Tampa Bay moving Tanguay considering they'll be fighting for a playoff spot all season. Whitney is probably the best candidate and I don't think it would be stretch to see Sutter making a move for a top LW around January/February with whatever prospects or picks that team can afford to trade. As most are well aware, Sutter usually makes his moves early and if he thinks this team is good enough to win it all, he'll fill the holes by then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfan12 View Post
Agreed. Seriously guys Sarich is going nowhere. Getting really tired of always hearing him in trade proposals.You would think with all the injury problems we have had the last couple seasons on defence especially in the playoffs people would want to keep our depth. As much as Pardy and Johnson have played well they can't play top 4 minutes like Sarich can. He's reliable and he's proven he can play top 4 minutes. Add in the fact that he is an absolute beast in the playoffs as well. He's here to stay.
Absolutely. I think it would foolish to expect Sarich to be traded, for this season at least. The team made the decision to get better defensively this off season and Sutter built a top four that is about as good as it gets in this league nowadays. It would be very surprising to see him move away from that by trading Sarich for position that's isn't exactly a massive issue right now. Dawes, Bourque and even Lundmark have shown that their capable for filling that LW spot, at least for now. If the Flames are looking to go far in the playoffs, that defensive depth is invaluble

But I do expect to see the defensive log-jam addressed in the off-season and I do believe Sarich will be moved then (hopefully in a package for a first round pick ). The Flames have seven guys signed for next season, three of which (Phaneuf, Regehr and Bouwmeester) are going nowhere. Giordano and Pardy are terrific value for their contracts so I don't see them being moved either. Kronwall's fine as a 7th defensmen. Sarich is a solid player but with guys like Pelech and Aulie knocking on the door, both of whom play similar style for considerably cheaper, it makes a lot of sense to move him.

Last edited by Calculon: 12-07-2009 at 09:55 PM.
Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 09:35 PM
flames123

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfan12 View Post
I would like to point out that Gio gets more minutes than Sarich and is capable of playing the #4. Pardy is also capable of playing #4 spot duty or full time if it was really needed.

(ES - PK - PP - Total)
Sarich - 14:50 - 2:20 - 00:22 - 17:30
Gio - 15:30 - 1:13 - 2:15 - 18:45
Pardy - 14:13 - 00:53 - 00:08 - 15:30

Old
12-07-2009, 09:36 PM
SaintMorose

vCash: 134
Top line seems to play great with Boyd taking over the LW for the third period would prefer him to Lundmark TBH.

SaintMorose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 09:38 PM
flames123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calculon View Post

Absolutely. I think it would foolish to expect Sarich to be traded, for this season at least. The team made the decision to get better defensively this off season and Sutter built a top four that is about as good as it gets in this league nowadays. It would be very surprising to see him move away from that by trading Sarich for position that's isn't exactly a massive issue right now. Dawes, Bourque and even Lundmark have shown that their capable for filling that LW spot, at least for now. If the Flames are looking to go far in the playoffs, that defensive depth is invalube

But I do expect to see the defensive log-jam addressed in the off-season and I do believe Sarich will be moved then (hopefully in a package for a first round pick ). The Flames have seven guys signed for next season, three of which (Phaneuf, Regehr and Bouwmeester) are going nowhere. Giordano and Pardy are terrific value for their contracts so I don't see them being moved either. Kronwall's fine as a 7th defensmen. Sarich is a solid player but with guys like Pelech and Aulie knocking on the door, both of whom play similar style for considerably cheaper, it makes a lot of sense to move him.
100% agree. Just what I've been saying.

Old
12-07-2009, 09:46 PM
Skobel24
#Ignited

Don't forget Negrin

Skobel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 10:09 PM
bananaz

i have always been an advocate of tanguay, i really hope sutter tries to acquire him again but it'll be tough as tampa bay is in playoff contention this year. i would not trade sarich to get tanguay though, we defensive depth in the playoffs and sarich is just a beast when it matters most. sutter should try to pry tanguay for one of our nhl ready prospects (ie.pelech) and trade sarich during the offseason.

ray whitney would be a decent option as well, he probably wouldnt be very hard to obtain especially with carolina's current situation.

bananaz is offline   Reply With Quote