HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

June 16, 1990...The first step into hell (very long)

Closed Thread

Old
04-15-2004, 10:32 PM
Ryno
BEHOLD!!

vCash: 500
June 16, 1990...The first step into hell (very long)

At the time, it was a great day to be an Oiler fan. The team had just come off of winning it's 5th Stanley Cup in 7 years. We had a sensational showing by a young netminder named Bill Ranford, who replaced the legendary Grant Fuhr as our starting tender. Although, the Gretzky trade still stung (and always will), our "Boys On The Bus" core was still intact...Mess, Kurri, and Anderson lead the charge on offence, while Lowe, Huddy. Muni, and Steve Smith continued to patrol the blulines. Some new faces were also making their mark - the "Kid" line of Adam Graves, Joe Murphy, and Martin Gelinas were dynamite in the playoffs. Younger guys like Craig Simpson, Petr Klima and Mark Lamb were making their mark on this club as well.

This club wasn't getting any younger, but the future did look bright, with prospects Geoff Smith, Chris Joseph, Peter Ericksson, Francois Leroux, Trevor Sim, Mike Greenlay, Randy Exelby, and Mike Ware all seeing action in the 1989-90 season. In addition to those players, there were those on the farm team making signifigant contributions. Kim Issel, the Oilers' first pick in 1986, had scored 34 goals for Cape Breton that season. Another from the class of '86, Dan Currie, had recorded 36 goals and 76 points during the '89-'90 campaign. The Oilers' 5th pick in 1987, Shawn Van Allen, had 69 points in 61 games, and would record 100 points for Cape Breton the following year. Add names like Jason Soules, Petro Koivunen, and Brad Werenka, and the Oilers looked to have a steady crop of NHL-calibre players for many years to come...

And then, the sun rose on June 16, 1990. A day the Oilers would like to forget.

June 16, 1990 - the day of the 1990 NHL Entry draft. 252 players in 12 round were selected in Vancouver that day. Those players combined to play 34,504 regular season games (and counting), averaging to 136.9 games per player. The Oilers players combined to play ZERO NHL games. In fact, the 11 players selected by Edmonton in the 1990 Entro Draft would combine to play only 186 games in the AHL , and 182 of those games were courtesy of Scott Allison, the Oilers first pick in the draft.

(Feel like banging your head against a wall? )

That single day can be pinpointed as the day the franchise set foot into the hell that was the early-mid nineties, and can be looked on as one of the worst days in Oilers history. I was curious to see if anything like that has ever happened before (a team having no picks from one year ever make the big dance), so I conducted a little research - all on my own free time, in case any of my bosses are reading this

I took the draft years for every team from 1969-98 (by today, I think its reasonable to assume that a team should have at least one player whose played at least one game who was drafted in 1998), and looked at the results. I discovered that the Oilers are the ONLY TEAM that has had a year's worth of draft picks combine to play zero games in the NHL (the 1999 Montreal Canadiens' picks have also combined to play zero games, but it's way too early to write them off ). However, I found some other examples of draft futility...

1978 Penguins - 5 NHL Games

Mike Meeker (4 Games)
Rob Garner (1 game)

Total number of picks for the year: 3

1969 Blues - 13 NHL games

Vic "Skeeter" Teal (1 game)
Bob Collyard (10 games)
David Pulkkinen (2 games)

Total number of picks for the year: 10

1973 Sabres - 19 NHL Games

Morris Titanic (19 games)

Total number of picks for the year: 8

1996 Blackhawks - 20 NHL Games

Remi Royer (18 games)
Jeff Paul (2 games)

Total number of picks for the year: 7

1976 Sabres - 22 NHL Games

Joe Kowal (22 games)

Total number of picks for the year: 4

1997 Mighty Ducks - 27 NHL Games

Michael Holmqvist (21 games)
Maxim Balmochnykh (6 games)

Total number of picks for the year: 8

1998 Capitals - 29 NHL Games

Chris Corrinet (8 games)
Mike Siklenka (2 games)
Rastislav Stana (6 games)
Mike Farrell (8 Games)

Total number of picks for the year: 10

1996 Red Wings - 49 NHL Games

Jesse Wallin (49 Games)

Total number of picks for the year: 9

Well, the proof is in the pudding...Drafting is the key to success. Save for Detroit, every team listed has been affected indirectly by their poor drafting years. Anaheim missed the playoffs from 2000 to 2002; The Sabres went to the finals in 1975, but never made it passed round 3 from 1976-98 (Although, past about 1983, it's hard to put any blame on the draft year ); The Pens never made it out of round 1 from 80-82, and then missed the playoffs 6 straight years; the Blackhawks have been mired in mediocrity the last 7 years; even the Capitals are feeling the sting of their poor draft year.

There really isn't anything we didn't already know in this what-seems-like-a-novel, but it's always nice to look at the statistics.

By the way, Lowe, Prednergast, and the scouts...no pressure.

EDIT: All stats courtesy of hockeydb.com, the second greatest site on the net (next to this one)

Last edited by Ryno: 04-16-2004 at 01:38 AM.
Old
04-15-2004, 10:54 PM
Mr Sakich

as far as i can tell, only 58 guys got drafted that year and had decent nhl careers. For a sickening view on oiler drafting, here is the draft from that year

http://hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl1990e.html

Bondra and Lang in the 5th plus rounds really hurts.

Old
04-15-2004, 11:03 PM
Lowetide

Bad, bad summer. That was the summer Kurri went to Italy, right? Lordy.

Old
04-15-2004, 11:33 PM
Cerebral

The sad thing is, the 1988, 1989, 1991 and 1992 drafts weren't much better either. Those 5 years of drafting have to be some of the poorest in the history of the NHL..

Old
04-15-2004, 11:59 PM
igor*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral
The sad thing is, the 1988, 1989, 1991 and 1992 drafts weren't much better either. Those 5 years of drafting have to be some of the poorest in the history of the NHL..
I'm starting to think that HotToddy's dart-throwing draft monkey idea might be a winner.

The Oilers probably spent a small fortune on scouting in those five years, and monkeys are pretty cheap I'd guess.

Hmmm.

Old
04-16-2004, 12:09 AM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by igor
I'm starting to think that HotToddy's dart-throwing draft monkey idea might be a winner.

The Oilers probably spent a small fortune on scouting in those five years, and monkeys are pretty cheap I'd guess.

Hmmm.
Heh I'd actually really like to see the CSB ratings for those years and see who was the "best player available" at the spots Edmonton picked at. I'm willing to bet we would have had fairly similar drafting results if not better..

Old
04-16-2004, 12:37 AM
igor*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral
Heh I'd actually really like to see the CSB ratings for those years and see who was the "best player available" at the spots Edmonton picked at. I'm willing to bet we would have had fairly similar drafting results if not better..
If you mean better than the Oilers did ... well yeah.

If you mean better than a dart-throwing monkey ... I'm not so sure.

Old
04-16-2004, 01:43 AM
Don Draper

yikes, their first round pick (scott allison) only scored 53 points in two years of WHL before being drafted! Talk about trying to find a diamond in the rough!

Old
04-16-2004, 02:36 AM
KlingonHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.M. Fletcher
yikes, their first round pick (scott allison) only scored 53 points in two years of WHL before being drafted! Talk about trying to find a diamond in the rough!

Trying to find a diamond in the rough in the first round?? Talk about a terrible drafting strategy. Why on earth would you waste a 1st round pick on a guy that would still be available come to fourth round.

Old
04-16-2004, 03:05 AM
jadeddog

i try not to figure out oilers drafting of the early-mid 90s.... it justs hurts too much..... when i did my drafting results post a while back, it was all-too-obvious that the oilers were pretty much the worst team in the NHL for drafting in those years..... since lowe took over things appear to be somewhat better, but too be honest its not *that* much better..... i would say we have done about average since lowe took over

Old
04-16-2004, 03:11 AM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Sigh... boy, did we waste some high draft positions in the 90's. We were bottom-feeders for a long time in that period and didn't really get anything out of it.

Makes me wonder just how good this team could have been if they had drafted better (think Sens, only better in the playoffs ).

Old
04-16-2004, 05:25 AM
Italian Oiler

Send a message via ICQ to Italian Oiler Send a message via MSN to Italian Oiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
Bad, bad summer. That was the summer Kurri went to Italy, right? Lordy.
Yup, and as an oil fan I expected more from him... pretty poor performances...

Old
04-16-2004, 01:17 PM
Marconius

Wahtever happened to Joe Murphy. Last I remember he was considered a pretty high skilled players, then, if memory serves, he was signed away from the Oilers by....Detroit? And then I never heard about him again. Anyone got any info? Is he retired? Active?

Old
04-16-2004, 01:28 PM
Ryno
BEHOLD!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marconius
Wahtever happened to Joe Murphy. Last I remember he was considered a pretty high skilled players, then, if memory serves, he was signed away from the Oilers by....Detroit? And then I never heard about him again. Anyone got any info? Is he retired? Active?
Murphy went to the Hawks for 3 years with moderate success, then bounced around between the Blues, Sharks, Bruins, and Caps before ( it looks like) retiring at the end of the 2000-01 season.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...pid%5B%5D=3853

Closed Thread