HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Wild @ Coyotes (12/07/09)

Old
12-08-2009, 09:08 AM
krepitch
Coyote Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
Upshall & Lombardi just have such great chemistry, and if they can speed around on the ice enough that it requires Mueller to try and keep up, that might be a good thing.
I hadn't thought about that, but that makes a lot of sense to me. I also like the idea of having Mueller out there with our top goal scorer because of his passing ability. I think he'll probably gain more confidence and be more effective if he's playing with guys who can finish what he starts.

krepitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 09:13 AM
krepitch
Coyote Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolemite View Post
Pyatt looks REALLY good on the top line.
Very happy for him. Love the production.

Just took a quick look at the team's +/- ratings:

Best: Pyatt +8
Worst: Doan -7

krepitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 09:28 AM
60DegreesIsCold

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR View Post
Mueller played his ass off tonight. Not sure if it came across on TV, but he was working every second of every shift he was on the ice. And I loved his shout-out to the fans on the post-game.
I was pretty shocked by how cool Mueller was with the fans at the Open House over the summer. All I expected from an autograph signing was a smile, a hi, some brief eye contact, and probably a little bit of awkwardness, especially since we were at the end of the line and they'd been signing for nearly three hours. Instead, Mueller comes around acting like he's genuinely excited to see each and every one of us. HE started talking to me, smiling the whole time and stopping signing to look me in the eye when I talked to him. Such a nice guy. You want someone like that to be successful.

He had a great game last night. In the past, I didn't think he was a good fit with Upshall and Lombardi, because their games are so different, but it worked last night.

Loved Upshall's Elastic Man impersonation, jumping up from the hit to put himself in perfect position for the goal. He's spunky.

I'm shocked by Pyatt's sudden offensive outburst. 3 awesome goals in three games, and he is defensively responsible. I have to admit I wasn't impressed with him at first, but he's got a nice ceiling. All of our scorers are pretty streaky, but we have enough of them that I think someone will be on a hot streak a good chunk of the time.

Also, I know there's a lot of talk about how we don't have an elite scoring forward, but I think I'd rather have one of the best goalies in the league, and we have that in Bryz. He's been great this year, and the goalie is the biggest impact player on the team. If he lets in beach balls every other game, no team would be winning a lot of games. It would be nice to have both, but if we could only have one, I think we have the right one.

60DegreesIsCold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 10:37 AM
hao chi

Quote:
Originally Posted by XavierX View Post
"And I want to say thank you to the fans we love it when you guys come out here keep it up"

Something along those lines.
Yeah, that was great. I especially liked how he raised his voice as he said it.

hao chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 10:42 AM
Art.Vandelay
@kash2112

The printed version fof the AZ Republic had the Coyotes game as the headline on the sports page. There is a great pic of Upshall scoring the first goal as he is getting yanked backwards that dominates the page.

Art.Vandelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 11:34 AM
yakko

Quote:
Originally Posted by krepitch View Post
I hadn't thought about that, but that makes a lot of sense to me. I also like the idea of having Mueller out there with our top goal scorer because of his passing ability. I think he'll probably gain more confidence and be more effective if he's playing with guys who can finish what he starts.
That pass he threaded to Upshall was impressive. He also just looked generally more aggressive offensively both with and without the puck. I hope he can keep it up.

yakko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 12:54 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Hope Mueller gained some confidence from this game and really starts turning things around. He is so important to the future of this team.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 01:30 PM
PHX FireBirds18

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakko View Post
That pass he threaded to Upshall was impressive. He also just looked generally more aggressive offensively both with and without the puck. I hope he can keep it up.
Seconded. His pass to Lombardi to send him in alone on Backstrom was equally impressive. Almost did it twice that game, but Lombardi couldn't handle the first one. I feel like Mueller is our best passer on forward, to go along with him being our best sniper. He gets it going this team is going to win a lot of games, because regardless of what some people think, he has the ability to make others around him better.

PHX FireBirds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 02:01 PM
yakko

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX FireBirds18 View Post
Seconded. His pass to Lombardi to send him in alone on Backstrom was equally impressive. Almost did it twice that game, but Lombardi couldn't handle the first one. I feel like Mueller is our best passer on forward, to go along with him being our best sniper. He gets it going this team is going to win a lot of games, because regardless of what some people think, he has the ability to make others around him better.
Good point. In the game against the Wild Mueller had a lot of really slick passes that created a scoring chance or put a player in position to get a scoring chance. I'd venture to say Mueller had more of those kind of passes than the rest of the team combined. That Hanzal pass to spring Vrbata was really awesome too.

Old
12-08-2009, 02:23 PM
zz

Quote:
That Hanzal pass to spring Vrbata was really awesome too.
That one really blew me away. Hanzal's pass was outstanding, but it was hard one, and from behind. I was impressed by Vrbata's ability to handle it. That was a slick play. I just wish it had resulted in a goal.

zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 02:39 PM
Devils Advocate
mmmmmm....Crow.

Quote:
I feel like Mueller is our best passer on forward, to go along with him being our best sniper. He gets it going this team is going to win a lot of games, because regardless of what some people think, he has the ability to make others around him better.

Being one of his biggest detractors, I don't think I or anyone else has questioned his ability to make others around him better. My beef is his willingness to make himself better. It's great he had a good offensive game, but it was one game. He's had a handful of good games the entire season. That's what pisses me off, because I know he has it in him.

I can almost understand why Mueller has failed since his rookie season. Everyone seems to go out of their way to pat him on the back the second he does something good. It doesn't matter if there's 100 bad plays in between the good ones. He probably thinks he's having a great season now.

I was shocked when Walsh asked Upshall about Mueller during the intermission interview. Upshall gets crushed, gets up and goes to the net, and scores. His reward is to be asked about Petey and how special he is.

Devils Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 02:49 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

I'm late to the party but still got to give a few of my observations.

- First and foremost I'm glad I wasn't the only one who noticed Mueller last night, the kid was awesome! He had some sick passes, a couple of good shots and did an excellent job keeping the puck in the zone. Easily deserved second star of the game!

- Great play by Upshall to get smashed along the boards, jump up, rush to the net and pot a goal. Sweet play and great "sticktoitiveness"

- The Yotes in general were impressive last night, they just took it to Minnesota, especially in the first period. The Wild came on strong in the 2nd and again towards the end of the 3rd but overall I thought the Yotes played a great game

- Pyatt got absolutely smoked right in front of me, that's when I turned to my Dad and proceeded to inform him of the believe by many of us that when Taylor gets hit hard he becomes a beast. lol...sure enough, another goal for Pyatt!

- Was it just me or did the crowd seem pretty impressive last night, all things considered. Everyone really seemed into it, lots of taunting of Backstrom and just overall volume levels were solid. I'm sure a lot of it had to do with the Yotes looking great but for a cold rainy Monday night, I though the turnout was solid.

- Holy crap, I didn't know Fiddler could fight?!

- Best comment of the game...right after the game was over some kid behind me stood up and shouted "GO BACK TO MINNESOTA....AND TAKE YOUR ****** (rhymes with smitty) FOOTBALL TEAM WITH YA!!!" lol...oh man that was classic!!!

- Speaking of which, how much does it suck for the Vikings and Wild double dippers. Come down to Phoenix and it's relatively cold and rainy, the Vikings get picked apart by the Cardinals on national TV and the next night the Wild get shutout by the Yotes. hahaha

Ok, that's all. What a great game!

Sinurgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 04:16 PM
RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolemite View Post
Probably because he got squat for ice time through two periods. Barely over 4-6 minutes total for two periods.
He left the game hurt and came back in the 3rd, that's why his ice time was low.

RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 04:35 PM
yakko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinurgy View Post
- Pyatt got absolutely smoked right in front of me, that's when I turned to my Dad and proceeded to inform him of the believe by many of us that when Taylor gets hit hard he becomes a beast. lol...sure enough, another goal for Pyatt!
Speaking of, Jovo seemed to be playing with the edge he usually gets when he gets pissed off. Anyone notice what might have set him off?

Quote:
- Holy crap, I didn't know Fiddler could fight?!
Neither did I. I'm pretty sure Sheppard didn't either. Kid asked for it but it looked like he got a lot more than he was asking or expected. Sheppard got smoked.

Old
12-08-2009, 04:52 PM
PHX FireBirds18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Advocate View Post
Being one of his biggest detractors, I don't think I or anyone else has questioned his ability to make others around him better. My beef is his willingness to make himself better. It's great he had a good offensive game, but it was one game. He's had a handful of good games the entire season. That's what pisses me off, because I know he has it in him.
As long as I keep reading reports that he's trying hard in practices from Tippett or Maloney, paying attention and working on the little things. I'm not going to worry about it. It's amazing what a lack of confidence can make a player look like on the ice. Sometimes it can make someone look lazy and disinterested, when that's not the case at all. His lack of foot speed doesn't help him at all, but did anyone else think he had better foot speed last night. Maybe it's improving from that Ciacco(sp?) guy, he did wonders for Winnik.

Old
12-08-2009, 04:56 PM
yakko

Quote:
His lack of foot speed doesn't help him at all, but did anyone else think he had better foot speed last night. Maybe it's improving from that Ciacco(sp?) guy, he did wonders for Winnik.
Most players are going to look slow playing with Lombardi and Upshall. Lombardi is just so fast and Upshall is pretty damn fast himself. Taking that into consideration, he looked pretty good to me and better than all of last season.

Old
12-08-2009, 05:00 PM
PHX FireBirds18

Quote:
Most players are going to look slow playing with Lombardi and Upshall. Lombardi is just so fast and Upshall is pretty damn fast himself. Taking that into consideration, he looked pretty good to me and better than all of last season.
That's the thing, he was keeping up with them last night to be involved in the play. I know Pyatt-Lang-Doan and Upshall-Lombardi-Mueller has been tried in the past. Last night was the first night those lines actually looked like they belonged together. Then again all 4 lines last night played together as a team very well.

Old
12-08-2009, 05:27 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
As long as I keep reading reports that he's trying hard in practices from Tippett or Maloney, paying attention and working on the little things. I'm not going to worry about it. It's amazing what a lack of confidence can make a player look like on the ice. Sometimes it can make someone look lazy and disinterested, when that's not the case at all. His lack of foot speed doesn't help him at all, but did anyone else think he had better foot speed last night. Maybe it's improving from that Ciacco(sp?) guy, he did wonders for Winnik.
You know the saying, you're never as bad as they say you are when you're struggling and you're never as good as they say you are when you're doing well. Peter is gonna have to work and I think Tippet will accept nothing less but as long as he keeps that up, he's going to be fine.

Sinurgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 10:46 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Peter Mueller looked great.

Matthew Lombardi may have had the worst game of his entire hockey career. I have no doubt he'll be back to being the solid player we've all come to love by the next game, though.

Korpikoski was also excellent. I'm glad he and Pyatt are stepping up. It's only a matter of time for Prucha, too. Plus, we all know that Doan, Lang, and Vrbata will all heat up again. If Mueller continues to improve, we will no longer have to worry about looking outside the organization to correct our goal scoring problems, which is nice.

rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 10:49 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
I know Pyatt-Lang-Doan and Upshall-Lombardi-Mueller has been tried in the past. Last night was the first night those lines actually looked like they belonged together. Then again all 4 lines last night played together as a team very well.
We also need to remember that Pyatt missed most of camp, and the begining of the season with an injury. It probably took him some time to get used to a new team, new coach, new system, new everything. We also probably shouldn't assume that he was one hundred percent healthy when he started playing. He may have had some lingering issues from the injury. I'm sure we all remember how awful Jovo looked playing hurt with that bum groin, during his first season here.

rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 09:59 AM
Alberta Yote
Owns the Yotes

vCash: 855
Quote:
Speaking of, Jovo seemed to be playing with the edge he usually gets when he gets pissed off. Anyone notice what might have set him off?
Apparently a little too much edge as he's been suspended for 2 games.

Alberta Yote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 10:07 AM
XX
He's a good guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Yote View Post
Apparently a little too much edge as he's been suspended for 2 games.
What nonsense. Jovo didn't forearm him on purpose, and there was no call on the play. Poor little Ebbett got a bloody lip, so I guess someone had to sit a few games.

XX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 01:09 PM
zz

Quote:
Originally Posted by XavierX View Post
What nonsense. Jovo didn't forearm him on purpose, and there was no call on the play.
I don't know, I saw him lunge forward, arms first, into the guy's head. I'm not surprised by the suspension.

zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 01:11 PM
yakko

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz View Post
I don't know, I saw him lunge forward, arms first, into the guy's head. I'm not surprised by the suspension.
I'm not really surprised by it either. It doesn't or shouldn't matter if Jovo meant to forearm the guy in the head. He did it. He got suspended. As someone else pointed out, hopefully he'll come back fully recovered, fully rested and plays up to his ability.

Old
12-09-2009, 02:06 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz View Post
Jovo was also a bit out of position laterally to get him squarely with the body, so it looked like something of a clothesline.

mouser is offline   Reply With Quote