HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Home Attendance figures

Old
12-07-2009, 02:28 AM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

vCash: 500
Home Attendance figures

This is as of the Ottawa Home game:

http://coyotes.azvibe.com/2009/12/07...dance-figures/

They're a lot better than I thought.

Dolemite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 04:36 AM
Gagnefan924
Need Moar AmericanZ

8k on a saturday night...no one in PHX cares...absolutely horrible. It sucks too since they are actually winning.

Gagnefan924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 09:28 AM
krepitch
Coyote Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnefan924 View Post
8k on a saturday night...no one in PHX cares...absolutely horrible. It sucks too since they are actually winning.
I think you have to throw that data point out because of the late start. The Saturday games where attendance is between 10k and 11k is more typical. I didn't see many families with little kids at the game on Saturday like I normally do. It's not right to keep your kids out that late. It's a shame that it got started late for nothing, basically. If the CBC dropped their coverage, they really screwed the Coyotes organization.

krepitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 09:32 AM

I think you need to put paid attendance or the gate for it to show any real meaning. For your numbers I believe they count tickets sold, or even tickets given away. Those numbers only show one small side of the story, and even at that averaging less than 10K is not a good side of the story.

Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 01:06 PM
PennPenguins

No one goes to the game because the arena is 1000 miles from the people here.

might look weird seeing that it says i live in PA but I actually live in Chandler, AZ

PennPenguins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 01:19 PM
yakko

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennPenguins View Post
If that were the case, I might get out to more games.

yakko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 01:33 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:

might look weird seeing that it says i live in PA but I actually live in Chandler, AZ
You're either new here or a lazy ass. I used to live in Chandler and I could leave my house at 6:25 and be in my seat, not the parking lot, my actual seat before the puck dropped at 7pm.

Sinurgy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 01:43 PM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinurgy View Post
You're either new here or a lazy ass. I used to live in Chandler and I could leave my house at 6:25 and be in my seat, not the parking lot, my actual seat before the puck dropped at 7pm.
Second that. It takes me 30 minutes (if that) to get from Old Town Scottsdale to the Arena.

The distance to the Arena is a lame excuse.

Old
12-07-2009, 01:44 PM
RR

Quote:
Not only is the "distance" argument getting old, it's simply a crock of ****! It is not the principle reason for low attendance. The list is long and it's on there, but not in the top 5. I'm in Cave Creek and 6:30 pm is my leave by or might be late for 7 pm game time.

For Calgary and Ottawa, I write it off to local fans boycotting Canadian teams, just as Canadians promised to boycott the NHL once JB was kicked to the curb.

RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 02:04 PM
Rbenj

Quote:

Before moving here in AZ, used to take me 2hrs to get to SJsharks game from where I lived. . .
Chandler to Glendale is nothing.

You are more than welcome to go to the games though, even though you're a penguins fan....
Welcome to AZ.

Rbenj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 02:52 PM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

Quote:
Originally Posted by mon2mon2 View Post
Before moving here in AZ, used to take me 2hrs to get to SJsharks game from where I lived. . .
When I lived in Seattle (many, many, many moons ago) I used to drive to and from Vancouver Canucks home games all the time. I laugh at people who complain about the distance to Coyote games being too far.

Old
12-07-2009, 02:57 PM
RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolemite View Post
When I lived in Seattle (many, many moons ago) I used to drive to and from Vancouver Canucks home games all the time.
Growing up in SoCal even if you lived within 15 miles of any stadium or arena, you could count on an hour at a minimum. Dodgers, Angels, Lakers, Clippers, Kings, Ducks, doesn't matter.

RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 03:10 PM
Ovens

So knowing nothing of the local geography how long is the average travel time to Glendale from Phoenix and surrounding towns?, it takes us between 60 and 90 minutes to travel the 35 miles into NYC to the garden, obviously traffic being the issue, the main factor being getting under the Hudson.

Not sure on how that stacks up against you guys?, but there's no point in moaning, we could watch the Devils in Newark but the Rangers are our team.

Ovens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 03:13 PM

While the distance is not an issue to me, I can somewhat understand how the distance is an issue to some people. If it was that distance to get downtown, that would be one thing, but to drive that distance to the fringe of another town is what push people over the edge. It's not quite nearly as bad, but it could be compared to having the arena in Anthem -- which is not that far out of town, probably about the same distance for the southeastern people, but it's a destination that has limited value other than the game.

The surrounding area is nice down by the arena, so I'm not trying to pick that fight.

I think this topic is debated entirely too much though.

I'll repeat myself, the number of seats sold, the number of seats with butts in them and the number of dollars received for those seats are all different things. I think the number that is being reported is the least important of those numbers.

Old
12-07-2009, 03:21 PM
yakko

Quote:
Originally Posted by mon2mon2 View Post
Wow, where'd you live?

yakko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 03:33 PM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR View Post
Growing up in SoCal even if you lived within 15 miles of any stadium or arena, you could count on an hour at a minimum. Dodgers, Angels, Lakers, Clippers, Kings, Ducks, doesn't matter.
I lived in San Diego before moving here and it would take me 1.5 to two hours to make the drive up to Anaheim for a game and 30-45 minutes home after the game. Traffic was insane coming out of San Diego county.

Old
12-07-2009, 03:34 PM
pyregretzky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovens View Post
So knowing nothing of the local geography how long is the average travel time to Glendale from Phoenix and surrounding towns?, it takes us between 60 and 90 minutes to travel the 35 miles into NYC to the garden, obviously traffic being the issue, the main factor being getting under the Hudson.

Not sure on how that stacks up against you guys?, but there's no point in moaning, we could watch the Devils in Newark but the Rangers are our team.
From Phoenix to Glendale it takes me 20minutes. The times I've gone from Scottsdale/Tempe it ranges from 30-50minutes depending on traffic. The people that claim "1000 miles to a game" are hilarious to me. I'm going to drive over 12 hours to catch a game in SJ around New Years so I don't really get the complaints about distance from people that live in the metro Phoenix general area

pyregretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 03:56 PM
knowsthegame

Enough about the distance already. That's not the real problem. If it were then what you are saying is the team must leave because the arena isn't moving - give it up already!!!
The damage from the BANKRUPCY, horrible management under Moyes, and the fact that even right now we are awaiting a new owner are the main reasons.
All things considered, I agree that the attendance figures, although not acceptable, are as good as can be realistically expected.
Once new owners are announced, the corporate STH's will come back and so will the ones waiting on the fence.

knowsthegame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 03:57 PM
GalenYote

Try driving from Tucson to a game, then complain about the commute. If I can take a 2 hour trip and 120 miles to go see a game (that is a full tank of gas for me). You can dive across town. Location is not an excuse. Yes I wish it was closer to Tucson maybe trim 20 min going clear to Glendale, but I have never had a traffic problem. I've had issues with the traffic cams and an slow people on the interstate, but not traffic jams.

The stadium is not going to move and they are not going to build a new one. People need to stop complaining and deal with it. Its like Winnipeg complaining about getting a team back. Its done and over with. No amount of complaining is going to change it. Just be glad they haven’t moved to Canada, that's is one hell of a drive. If you are a fan, you will enjoy the lowest price tickets in the league and suck up the extra time and gas to enjoy a game.

GalenYote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 04:26 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

I've said it before and I'll say it again, if you count total time spent from the moment you leave your house to the moment you sit in your seat it takes just as long to go to a Diamondbacks or Suns game as it does a Coyotes game.

I'm pretty sure that people who say the distance is too far haven't really thought it through and that's likely because they really are not that interested in seeing NHL hockey in the first place. It's just something they throw out there.

Sinurgy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 04:29 PM

Quote:
I've said it before and I'll say it again, if you count total time spent from the moment you leave your house to the moment you sit in your seat it takes just as long to go to a Diamondbacks or Suns game as it does a Coyotes game.

I'm pretty sure that people who say the distance is too far haven't really thought it through and that's likely because they really are not that interested in seeing NHL hockey in the first place. It's just something they throw out there.
Not saying I disagree with you, but people often respond more emotionally than factually, and many people were upset to see it land in the West Valley. I think it's just another stab at the team, but I digress.

Old
12-07-2009, 05:25 PM
DouX
Keeping Arizona Icy

Is 30 to 45 minutes really that long of a drive for most of you? Seriously? That's not even that bad. Plus you get to see a professional hockey game. I think too much of that sun has gotten to peoples head and caused them to be extremely lazy.

DouX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 05:55 PM
Colt45Blast
Tippett's Tool

A message to fair weather Cardinals fans, if you can make the drive to a Cardinals game anytime you can do the same with the Coyotes.
Posted via Mobile Device

Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaPride View Post
A message to fair weather Cardinals fans, if you can make the drive to a Cardinals game anytime you can do the same with the Coyotes.
Posted via Mobile Device
Good point. Maybe the distance is related to the competitive product. If the Coyotes make the playoffs this year, then next year you won't be hearing the distance argument. Note, it's usually the year following success that attendance picks up, so no matter how good the Coyotes do this year -- they aren't going to benefit from those results this season.

Old
12-07-2009, 07:10 PM
PhoPhan

I've never bought the Cardinals argument, as the Coyotes play five times as many home games. It's a much larger commitment.

PhoPhan is offline   Reply With Quote