HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leadership FTW

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-04-2009, 11:52 AM
  #1
Double-Shift Lassť
Moderator
Just post better
 
Double-Shift Lassť's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Superurban Cbus
Country: United States
Posts: 17,904
vCash: 500
Leadership FTW

http://www.bluejacketsxtra.com/live/...N.html?sid=101

Going back a week for this from the Big D to start a discussion on a topic that's being hit on in several other threads. Maybe it's time for a more focused look at leadership for the CBJ. (Meaning, of course, team leadership, not organ-eye-zational leadership.)

Quote:
Umberger acknowledges the Jackets are a "quiet team." The players who do the most talking behind closed doors are Nash, Umberger, Vermette and second-year alternate captain Rostislav Klesla, 27.
If we're honest, this is about all we know about this topic. We get occasional glimpses on-ice but that's a tiny piece of the puzzle. We also don't really know these guys, despite what we think we can infer from their on-ice personality and demeanor. So while we might assume certain guys have the potential to lead or whatever, we probably don't.

Nevertheless, it's a discussion, IMO, worth having. What is leadership? Is it rah-rah, is it lead by example, is it grabbing guys by the scruff of the neck? And if there are different styles, does one fit a certain group's dynamic better than another?

Quote:
"These are the things you go through that define your leadership," Hitchcock said. "It's a work in progress. Some of these guys are taking on new responsibility.

"Right now, it's not about what they say, but what they do. How leaders play forces others to follow them."
Lastly, I'll reiterate something I said in another thread a while back. It seems this team needs, if not a new message, then at least a new message.

Quote:
It needs a proven approach at assistant, someone to help translate the teaching Hitch is doing, to "counsel" the players during their down time at practice and to make sure they're relaxed and having fun in addition to improving their game and playing "bought in". The team's current assistants are not getting this job done, IMO.
Now, from the same linked article...

Quote:
The locker room, Umberger said, misses the voice of Modin, a Stanley Cup and Olympic gold-medal winner. Modin has yet to play a game this season, and injured players rehab before their teammates get to the rink.
Maybe it's time for a new role for Freddy?

Anyway, have at it.

__________________
"Every game, every point is a necessity." -- Ty Conklin, January 2007
"I'll have a chance to compete for the post of first issue. This is the most important thing." -- Sergei Bobrovsky, June 2012
Double-Shift Lassť is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 12:06 PM
  #2
frito
Registered User
 
frito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Cincinnati
Country: United States
Posts: 1,067
vCash: 500
Quote:
Double-Shift Lassť;22467499http://www.bluejacketsxtra.com/live/...N.html?sid=101
Nevertheless, it's a discussion, IMO, worth having. What is leadership? Is it rah-rah, is it lead by example, is it grabbing guys by the scruff of the neck? And if there are different styles, does one fit a certain group's dynamic better than another?
In short simple terms, I think it is all of the above. The situation at hand dictates the appropriate role at a speciic point in time.


Last edited by Double-Shift Lassť: 12-04-2009 at 12:15 PM.
frito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 12:57 PM
  #3
blahblah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 16,543
vCash: 500
Wasn't last year team loud in the locker room? Or was RJ just talking about the leadership group?

Ultimately the team was pulling for each other from the bench last year. Is the team that tight this year?

Which is why I asked the question in the other thread about being "dug in".

I do know one thing, the accountability isn't there right now.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 01:13 PM
  #4
CBJNut
Registered User
 
CBJNut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Logan, OH
Country: United States
Posts: 525
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to CBJNut Send a message via AIM to CBJNut Send a message via MSN to CBJNut Send a message via Yahoo to CBJNut
Boy do we miss Adam Foote.


CBJNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 02:22 PM
  #5
Doug19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Columbus, OH
Country: Aland Islands
Posts: 6,152
vCash: 500
I think we miss players like Malholtra the most. I still don't look at Phalsson (sp) as a Blue Jacket and the rest of the team is just to darn young. Players aren't going to take Chimera seriously and other than Umberger, Klesla, Vermette, and Nash who could you take seriously that is a vet? Commodore isn't that good, Hejda seems to be the quiet type and the rest of the defense is to young or to new. On the offensive side we have the new guy 26 who is a vet but again is to new to the team while the rest of the guys are to young and unproven to say to another player they need to pick there game up. Somebody needs to start holding other players accountable in that locker room because Tyutin and Commodore have gone to long with there mistakes unchecked, and it is obvious the coach doesn't have the balls to do anything about it.

Doug19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 02:37 PM
  #6
blahblah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 16,543
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougRiffle View Post
I think we miss players like Malholtra the most. I still don't look at Phalsson (sp) as a Blue Jacket and the rest of the team is just to darn young. Players aren't going to take Chimera seriously and other than Umberger, Klesla, Vermette, and Nash who could you take seriously that is a vet? Commodore isn't that good, Hejda seems to be the quiet type and the rest of the defense is to young or to new. On the offensive side we have the new guy 26 who is a vet but again is to new to the team while the rest of the guys are to young and unproven to say to another player they need to pick there game up. Somebody needs to start holding other players accountable in that locker room because Tyutin and Commodore have gone to long with there mistakes unchecked, and it is obvious the coach doesn't have the balls to do anything about it.
Good points really. I think Brass has the potential to be a leader moving forward.

I think we miss Manny from the perspective of stablizing the top line and allowing Vermette to move back down to a more natural fit for him. Brass is in a little over his head right now. I never pictured Manny as a leader, however.

I'm not sure about the accountability stuff as it relates to Commie and Tyutin. We need Tyutin to play the role he did last year, otherwise we aren't going to have success. Commie hasn't exactly been in Hitch's good graces. There's not a lot of options unless you think benching Tyutin for Roy is a good idea. I suppose you could move Tyutin down to the 5/6, as a wakeup call, but you're just exposing someone else. I'm not really sure there is a real good answer on that one.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 02:43 PM
  #7
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan
 
JACKETfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Venice
Country: United States
Posts: 9,234
vCash: 500
We let our leadership go:

Manny >
Foote >
Shelley >
Peca >

Some I have a softspot for
Some only now I realize what they brought to the team.

Come trade deadline, anybody be surprised to see Modin go?
He's in his last year, correct?

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 03:26 PM
  #8
Doug19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Columbus, OH
Country: Aland Islands
Posts: 6,152
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Good points really. I think Brass has the potential to be a leader moving forward.

I think we miss Manny from the perspective of stablizing the top line and allowing Vermette to move back down to a more natural fit for him. Brass is in a little over his head right now. I never pictured Manny as a leader, however.

I'm not sure about the accountability stuff as it relates to Commie and Tyutin. We need Tyutin to play the role he did last year, otherwise we aren't going to have success. Commie hasn't exactly been in Hitch's good graces. There's not a lot of options unless you think benching Tyutin for Roy is a good idea. I suppose you could move Tyutin down to the 5/6, as a wakeup call, but you're just exposing someone else. I'm not really sure there is a real good answer on that one.
And that is the problem we have on defense right now, the team can't afford to send any messages to Commodore or Tyutin because it will be putting someone else in an unfair position. Klesla being out hurts us big time I think. I think sooner rather than later Howson is going to have to look outside of the organization for the wake-up call on defense because this current group is clearly not good enough. The defensive awareness of a few of those guys this year is terrible and it seems to bite us in the butt every time they are on the ice. How Commy was muscled off that puck in front of the net last night I will never get, he is supposed to be the big guy back there.

Doug19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 03:40 PM
  #9
frito
Registered User
 
frito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Cincinnati
Country: United States
Posts: 1,067
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post
Come trade deadline, anybody be surprised to see Modin go?
He's in his last year, correct?
I don't know. first off, if he's still not playing nobody will want him. Secondly, if he is playing he may be the missing leadership link we have been craving thus far this season and wouldn't want to part with him. Even if we don't plan on re-signing him, which I don't think we will, I think he brings a lot down the stretch to help form the future leasders of the team.

frito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 04:48 PM
  #10
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"
 
leesmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 15,612
vCash: 500
We need the hockey version of the Baltimore Ravens' Ray Lewis

leesmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 12:54 AM
  #11
Stej
Good Canadian Kid!
 
Stej's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: The Kirk
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,842
vCash: 500
Great opening post!

While I just admitted in the Filatov thread that I'm frustrated with the way Hitch handled that situation, I do believe he is the right guy for the job provided that he has the right supporting cast to "translate" his message for each individual player. That supporting cast can come in the form of assistant coaches or other players.

I personally think it was a mistake to let Manny walk. Both sides were just too stubborn in the way that got handled. He's versatile, level-headed, intelligent and relatively well spoken - all good leadership qualities.

The reality is that, to some degree, age = leadership. We are among the youngest teams in the league...

I'd like to see a leadership group that covers the personality spectrum:
-quiet, lead by example type (Nash)
-well-spoken, level-headed intellectual (???)
-rah-rah hyper positive dude (???)
-put the fear of God in you, screaming motivator (???)

Diversity is good in this regard because each player is unique.

Stej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 07:43 AM
  #12
EDM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,080
vCash: 500
So we need to trade for a Rhodes Scholar, an OSU cheer leader and a psycopath? (insert smiley). Interesting approach.

I agree with teh basic concept that HHitch cannot successfully sell his system to the young guys by himself and he needs other players to do it for him. As a solution, how about we get a coach who can communicate his own message successfully?

EDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 08:38 AM
  #13
Viqsi
carrying the flag
 
Viqsi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The Scary Internet
Country: United States
Posts: 20,667
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDM View Post
So we need to trade for a Rhodes Scholar, an OSU cheer leader and a psycopath? (insert smiley). Interesting approach.

I agree with teh basic concept that HHitch cannot successfully sell his system to the young guys by himself and he needs other players to do it for him. As a solution, how about we get a coach who can communicate his own message successfully?
Because coaches that don't need to bother with locker room and assistant leadership are so rare as to be practically nonexistent in today's league?

When we play according to the system, we win. Therefore, it's a winning system. I'd rather keep that and find better ways to make folks stay committed rather than throw it out and try again.


...that said, if Ken Holland goes insane and fires Babcock, all bets are off.

__________________
Remember - when you're a hockey fan, it's not "reckless driving", it's "good forechecking".
"Viqsi, you are our sweet humanist..." --mt-svk on the CBJ boards

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 08:48 AM
  #14
EDM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,080
vCash: 500
Hitch's system was only "winning" during Mason's crazed run last year. Take away that period where Mason played out of his mind and Hitch is barely a .500 coach with the Jackets. Hitch's system was a winning system in the old NHL. It has not worked since the lock out and the rule changes.

EDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 09:30 AM
  #15
Viqsi
carrying the flag
 
Viqsi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The Scary Internet
Country: United States
Posts: 20,667
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDM View Post
Hitch's system was only "winning" during Mason's crazed run last year. Take away that period where Mason played out of his mind and Hitch is barely a .500 coach with the Jackets. Hitch's system was a winning system in the old NHL. It has not worked since the lock out and the rule changes.
It was also producing a few more wins than normal prior to the Foote trade deadline, last I checked...

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 11:47 AM
  #16
EDM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,080
vCash: 500
And after the trade, what happened ?

Prior to the Foote trade we were a little over .500, which is what I said.
We have collapsed in March, each time for a different reason, two years in a row.

EDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 01:19 PM
  #17
KeithBWhittington
Going North
 
KeithBWhittington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Brick by Brick
Country: Hungary
Posts: 10,247
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post
We let our leadership go:

Manny >
Foote >
Shelley >
Peca >

Some I have a softspot for
Some only now I realize what they brought to the team.

Come trade deadline, anybody be surprised to see Modin go?
He's in his last year, correct?
Who? Does he even still play on this team??

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 02:49 PM
  #18
Stej
Good Canadian Kid!
 
Stej's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: The Kirk
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,842
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDM View Post
So we need to trade for a Rhodes Scholar, an OSU cheer leader and a psycopath? (insert smiley). Interesting approach.

I agree with teh basic concept that HHitch cannot successfully sell his system to the young guys by himself and he needs other players to do it for him. As a solution, how about we get a coach who can communicate his own message successfully?
The general message of my post was supposed to be that I don't think one specific type of leader works well for all players all the time. Once again my posts get taken so literally (and good job exaggerating my examples by the way). I've got to stop posting more than one sentence statements.

Stej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 03:20 PM
  #19
EDM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,080
vCash: 500
What you have to do is lighten up, "Francis". I put a smiley. Can't you take a little ribbing?

EDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 04:07 PM
  #20
Stej
Good Canadian Kid!
 
Stej's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: The Kirk
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,842
vCash: 500
It's a tough time to be a CBJ fan.

Francis?

Stej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 04:15 PM
  #21
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Jaxs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 7,172
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ--A--N View Post
It's a tough time to be a CBJ fan.

Francis?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrllCZw8jiM&NR=1

Jaxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 10:04 AM
  #22
Double-Shift Lassť
Moderator
Just post better
 
Double-Shift Lassť's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Superurban Cbus
Country: United States
Posts: 17,904
vCash: 500
There is some discontent with the current captaincy. I agree he may not be a natural for the job, but also agree that there may not be a better fit on the roster. Then the plethora of assistant captains would seem to suggest there isn't a strong voice/personality.

So, what about adding a currently-unemployed grizzled vet for the minimum, one with a legit rep and whose voice will carry some weight? Would Jeremy Roenick consider un-retiring? Only name I can think of off top of my head. Other names?

Double-Shift Lassť is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:11 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.