HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Derick Brassard: The sophomore slump nobody is talking about.

Old
12-09-2009, 09:30 AM
CapnCornelius

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Pretty sure Brass is still about as untouchable as it gets on this team, if he was one of the "two".

Filatov is probably still "untouchable" as we're probably not going to get enough in return to even bother.
And, why is he untouchable?

Listen, if there's a team who wants to take a package of Brassard and Filatov to give us a top line center, I'd seriously consider it. Brassard may or may not ever develop into that role--a bird in hand is better than two in the bush. And trust me, someone is going to want Filatov if he does well in the World Juniors and continues to succeed in the KHL. They will right off his failure as the result of coaching or mismanagement by the Blue Jackets, etc.

In the right deal, no player is untouchable.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 11:32 AM
Ludicrous Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post

Listen, if there's a team who wants to take a package of Brassard and Filatov to give us a top line center, I'd seriously consider it. Brassard may or may not ever develop into that role--a bird in hand is better than two in the bush. And trust me, someone is going to want Filatov if he does well in the World Juniors and continues to succeed in the KHL. They will right off his failure as the result of coaching or mismanagement by the Blue Jackets, etc.

In the right deal, no player is untouchable.
I've actually been thinking of Brassard + Filatov + salary for Getzlaf. I'm pretty sure Anaheim wouldn't do it, but I'd be prepared to do that any day. It's a lot of talent we'd be giving up, but Getzlaf has a great contract and I really couldn't think of a better player to have next to Nash aside from Sid or Geno.

Alas.

Ludicrous Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 11:49 AM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludicrous Speed View Post
I've actually been thinking of Brassard + Filatov + salary for Getzlaf. I'm pretty sure Anaheim wouldn't do it, but I'd be prepared to do that any day. It's a lot of talent we'd be giving up, but Getzlaf has a great contract and I really couldn't think of a better player to have next to Nash aside from Sid or Geno.

Alas.
Yeah, no chance the Ducks do it.

But, I will point out that Patrick Marleau is a free agent in the off-season. If we acquired someone like Marleau, Brassard could be expendable in a trade that gets us a quality d-man.

Old
12-09-2009, 12:08 PM
skimp

Quote:
Yeah, no chance the Ducks do it.

But, I will point out that Patrick Marleau is a free agent in the off-season. If we acquired someone like Marleau, Brassard could be expendable in a trade that gets us a quality d-man.
Marleau would be terrible here; the Jackets' jerseys all have a big C on them.

skimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 02:43 PM
Doug19

vCash: 50
Lol, that is funny.

Doug19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 02:54 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Does he even play center much anymore? I haven't watched SJ much this year.

I like the concept. But if we could afford Marleau, I don't know how we would fit a quality dman in our budget. That would require more movement. Howson's head might explode.

I'm not sure I'm ready to give up on Brass, but I would trade him if we got a veteran top line center.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 02:57 PM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Send a message via AIM to Matthew
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Does he even play center much anymore? I haven't watched SJ much this year.

I like the concept. But if we could afford Marleau, I don't know how we would fit a quality dman in our budget. That would require more movement. Howson's head might explode.

I'm not sure I'm ready to give up on Brass, but I would trade him if we got a veteran top line center.
Marleau has been playing mostly on Big Joe's wing for the past couple of seasons.

Matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 03:03 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
Marleau has been playing mostly on Big Joe's wing for the past couple of seasons.
Thought so.

Old
12-09-2009, 04:25 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesFan80 View Post
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know what will kick Brassard out of this. He's a great player, lacking sheer confidence right now. How is it that playing him on the 4th line will address that? Hitch really is bad. Put him on Nash's line until he really gets hot. Vermette is NOT a #1 line center so I'm not sure why that horse is being beaten to death. He's a perfect #2.
I agree with this

CBJBrassard16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 04:29 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Why are we all jumping on the "Let's trade filatov and Brassard" bandwagon? These guys AREN'T going anywhere (Brassard least likely, Filatov may stay overseas forever) Last season we were all jumping on how great he was going to be. He is having a bad season, So what? All players go through bad seasons, It's how they respond to the bad season, Mason is the same way, He needs to learn what is wrong with his game, Work on it. Fix it. If neither do that then they will never be superstars.

Brassard isn't going anywhere, At least not for another 2-3 Years.

CBJBrassard16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 05:03 PM
Ludicrous Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
Why are we all jumping on the "Let's trade filatov and Brassard" bandwagon? These guys AREN'T going anywhere (Brassard least likely, Filatov may stay overseas forever) Last season we were all jumping on how great he was going to be. He is having a bad season, So what? All players go through bad seasons, It's how they respond to the bad season, Mason is the same way, He needs to learn what is wrong with his game, Work on it. Fix it. If neither do that then they will never be superstars.

Trading Brass and Filatov for Getzlaf isn't quite the same as a "trade them bandwagon". That would imply that we should trade them with no regard as to what the return is, which isn't the case at all. Don't even act like Brassard and Filatov for Getz is a bad deal for us.

Old
12-09-2009, 05:12 PM
BluejacketNut

If you could land Getzlaf for Brass and Filly, theres not even a second thought

BluejacketNut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 05:41 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post

I'm going to keep coming back to this trade because its just one example of why no one is untradeable.

Jarome Iginla for Joe Nieuwendyk.

Dallas still would make that trade every time regardless of what Iginla became.

You've gotta give something to get something. This team needs someone to step up and be a top line center now. If Brassard isn't ready, I wouldn't hesitate to move him to get one. Think back to Brad Richards. If a similar deal could be had today that involved Brass, you do it.

Old
12-09-2009, 05:41 PM
puckeye

Vinny?

puckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 05:42 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckeye View Post
Vinny?
I did read that he was available just today. Like Vinny. Boy do I hate his contract though. And, much like with the Richards trade, I'm again not sure we have what Tampa wants.

Old
12-09-2009, 05:47 PM
Handyy

Quote:
I'm again not sure we have what Tampa wants.
Draft picks Kessel style + a player?

Handyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 05:51 PM
puckeye

Quote:
I did read that he was available just today. Like Vinny. Boy do I hate his contract though. And, much like with the Richards trade, I'm again not sure we have what Tampa wants.
yeah that contract is an albatross but main reason he is available. Doubt CBJ brass would take it on but Vinny & Nash would be fun to watch. Gives Hitch the big center he covets

Filatov, Tyutin and Chimmer
for
Vinny and Lukas Krajicek or Ranger

Old
12-09-2009, 05:55 PM
TLinden16
Horse

vCash: 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
Just thought I'd comment on this. Marleau has been playing most of his icetime on the wing the last seasons, but not permanently. Right now 24% of his EV icetime is on the wing with Heatley, with 13% of it him centering Clowe and Pavelski. He centers the #1 PP unit, and the PK unit. When the team hits a slump he usually put down onto the 2nd line as a C. His speedy tempo makes him efficient as a winger, and with Pavelski, it allows him to move up.

Seems like someone to me that would fit your team make-up nicely, can't see him leaving SJ though.

I wish Hitch would give Brass another shot centering Nash. He won't break out of his slump in the bottom 6. It's a classic Hitchcock move. My hockey pool team is suffering because of it.

TLinden16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 06:04 PM
Ludicrous Speed

I do not want Vinny's ridiculous contract.

Old
12-09-2009, 06:07 PM
puckeye

I would guess Montreal would take his contract off your hands if it didn't work out

Old
12-09-2009, 08:10 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
So Matthew, can you make a thread about Tyutin now? He needs to stop sucking next.

Timeless Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 08:56 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLinden16 View Post
I wish Hitch would give Brass another shot centering Nash. He won't break out of his slump in the bottom 6. It's a classic Hitchcock move. My hockey pool team is suffering because of it.
Looked pretty good tonight. Shoving Torres on one of the wings doesn't make it quite look like a 4th line.

Old
12-09-2009, 09:55 PM
Rimers stache

brass played well tonight

Rimers stache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 07:04 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Who are you arguing with and which "he"? I'm assuming Brass, because I told you why Filatov is probably untouchable (more like not worth trading). I said I would consider moving Brass, along with Nikki. Howson seems to consider these kids untouchable. I've said all along that I don't consider anyone untouchable.

But it would have to be the right deal. Not that our consideration means jack to Howson and the Jackets front office.

Old
12-10-2009, 08:52 AM
PCH
Dangle.Snipe.Celly

Has Brass come out the shoot slow, comparatively speaking, to how he started last season? Yes. For that reason, I guess we can call it a sophomore slump. However, I post this question.

Is Jake Voracek having a Sophomore slump?

Voracek and Brassard both have 18 pts.

Umberger and Huselius have 22.

I'd have loved Brass to light it up and score 70 points this season, even convinced myself he would, but ultimately I think he's shown he can still make the plays he made last year and think before long he will find his consistent game again.

How about Rick Nash's ultra cold streak?

PCH is offline   Reply With Quote