HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Mikko Koivu vs Jordan Staal

View Poll Results: Choose a player:
Mikko Koivu 91 93.81%
Jordan Staal 6 6.19%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-08-2009, 05:26 PM
Stevens 4

vCash: 500
Mikko Koivu by far, one of the best two-way players in the league.

Stevens 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 08:32 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
No, Staal can't be a first line center on other teams. The only teams he can play 1st line center on is on teams which lack a #1 center.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 08:41 PM
Ziostilon

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow1 View Post
Name one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
No, Staal can't be a first line center on other teams. The only teams he can play 1st line center on is on teams which lack a #1 center.
thats what i meant. but still, he can be a #1 center on other teams that lack one.

I think Atlanta wont mind having him center Kovy, Maxim
Florida, Nashville, New York Rangers, Edmonton?

Ziostilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 08:50 PM
High Flying Birds

Even Pens fans would take Mikko pretty easily here. He's superior to Jordan in every aspect of the game at the moment.

High Flying Birds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 02:26 AM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Morozov
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Fata View Post
Even Pens fans would take Mikko pretty easily here. He's superior to Jordan in every aspect of the game at the moment.
He's not better at being Canadian.

Morozov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 05:23 AM
mattihp

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziostilon View Post
thats what i meant. but still, he can be a #1 center on other teams that lack one.

Nashville and the rangers? Really?

mattihp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 08:01 AM
flannelman
default user

vCash: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattihp View Post
Went for Mikko. But Staal is a very nice player as well.
yes indeedy. can't disagree.

flannelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 08:58 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Koivu is one of the most underrated players in the league.

12-09-2009, 10:21 AM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_speedster View Post
staal is not better defensively, offensively, at skating, shooting, effortwise, .. hitting... nothing.. absolutely NOTHING.

the ONLY thing jordan staal is better at mikko koivu at is falling down or getting pushed around by smaller players... end of story

fanboys and pitt apologists are welcome to continue with their delusion, but ANYONE who actually WATCHES complete games featuring "captain fall-down" knows what they see... those who read the pitt gazette on the other hand muight thing he's the next coming of sergei fedorov or kris draper.

Mikko koivu is leaching off NO ONE.. not his famous older brother (he had to pay his dues in the AHL) not superstar team or linemates... no matter who you give mikko, he works his ass of to get them scoring chances, or cover them defensively, the dude is a true student of lemaire,...

jordan staal is a good kid who is FINALLY starting to skate like he's in the nhl but is a massive,.. massive underachiever, especially for his draft position. He was drafted MOSTLY due to his brother's acheivements (Anyone who argues otherwise is completely deluding themselves) take out crosby and malkin and the pens are nothing.. take out staal? hell you've still got dupuis, et. al... They may not have his raw materials, but they don't cheat out there...

mikko koivu is the last person that jordan staal should ever be compared too...

Maybe if he keeps up his current effort level , who knows...

mikko on the other hand showed his hustle from day ONE, and earned EVERYTHING.. ice time, line assignments, captaincy, paycheck... EVERYTHING.. His last name didn't mean didly ****. His rep is bourne of season long effort and achievement (no matter how good or bad the team does)

Staal? He can have sub par game after game and lord help us if he makes, one take-away or scores a goal and suddenly he's of the defensive elite..

nonesense
What a . Staal didn't skip the AHL because of his brother, he got a 10 game trial on a weak Pens team and did well enough to stay. A 29 goal season as a rookie seems to suggest that he deserved his place on the team. Staal had 156 hits last season Koivu had 45 I don't see how he's a better hitter. I don't see how you can quantify effort. Interesting fact Staal had 39 ESP to Koivu's 35 though Staal did have easier match ups. Both are two time 20 goal scorers though Staal's seasons are both better than Koivu's. I don't see how anyone could consider Staal a massive massive underachiever. 276 games 71goals 66 assists 141 points, played solid defense since coming into the league, youngest player to 200 games, Most short handed goals by a rookie, youngest player to score a hatrick(63 year old record), Calder Nominee, NHL All Rookie Team,49 playoff games,invited to Olympic Camp. 1 Stanley Cup Ring and won't turn 22 until just before next season.

Now my rant is over, Koivu is a better player and this is a silly poll considering one is a First Line centre and the other a third line centre. Maybe a better poll will be to compare 26 year old Jordan Staal with 26 year old Mikko Koivu.

wej20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 10:24 AM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattihp View Post
Nashville and the rangers? Really?
I'd say Columbus,Toronto and Phoenix are the teams Staal would have a legitimate shot at being the First Line centre.

Old
12-09-2009, 11:16 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziostilon View Post

Atlanta: Rich Peverley and Nik Antropov are both definitely better first-line center options. Bryan Little might be also

Florida: Stephen Weiss is a far better player, and very underrated

Nashville: Staal isn't better than Jason Arnott

Rangers and Edmonton: He's got a shot, but it's far from guaranteed.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 01:52 PM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Atlanta: Rich Peverley and Nik Antropov are both definitely better first-line center options. Bryan Little might be also

Florida: Stephen Weiss is a far better player, and very underrated

Nashville: Staal isn't better than Jason Arnott

Rangers and Edmonton: He's got a shot, but it's far from guaranteed.
Little's a winger. I doubt he'd be on the Rangers as they use Prospal at centre. Stephen Weiss is underrated but he only really broke out last year but yes. Edmonton he'd be competing with Gagner and Horcoff but none of the three are head and shoulders above the others.