HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)

Who is the best player of the last decade?

View Poll Results: Who is the best player of the last decade?
Martin Brodeur 15 29.41%
Nik Lidstrom 34 66.67%
Someone else (???) 2 3.92%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-07-2009, 10:59 PM
rebel diamond

vCash: 500
Who is the best player of the last decade?

The thread looks like a tight two-horse race, so...

or

rebel diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 11:01 PM
HurtsDonut*

going with lidstrom.

HurtsDonut* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 11:02 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
Was going to create a similar poll asking which player people would rather have play out his career on their team.

Would've picked Lidstrom there as well.

12-08-2009, 01:42 AM
Derick*

Send a message via MSN to Derick*
Lidstrom for sure. TCG has pretty much proven Brodeur overrated and no one's been able to account for his arguements. None of the statisticians that look at NHL numbers objectively support Brodeur.

I think it sucks that Thornton isn't even listed. I guess with the low-scoring decade, it wouldn't be a forward. But he is the leadng scorer of the decade. I'd put him ahead of Brodeur, although, I'd put a lot of people ahead of Brodeur.

Derick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 01:47 AM
BrodeursCups
Zajac flat out sucks

Send a message via AIM to BrodeursCups
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derick View Post
Lidstrom for sure. TCG has pretty much proven Brodeur overrated and no one's been able to account for his arguements. None of the statisticians that look at NHL numbers objectively support Brodeur.

I think it sucks that Thornton isn't even listed. I guess with the low-scoring decade, it wouldn't be a forward. But he is the leadng scorer of the decade. I'd put him ahead of Brodeur, although, I'd put a lot of people ahead of Brodeur.
Meanwhile, back in reality, real hockey minds (ya know, analysts, GMs, coaches, etc) who actually watch the games are able to make the distinction that Brodeur isn't overrated and is a top-3 goalie of all time.

Got records?

Let me know when Thornton is able to, just once, carry his impressive performances from the regular season over to the postseason. I'll wait...

BrodeursCups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 01:56 AM
Richer's Ghost
You are reading this

vCash: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derick View Post

really... really?

really.

Ball pits are just toilets filled with brightly colored balls instead of water.
Richer's Ghost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 02:02 AM
Next Best Thing*

I'm going with Brodeur on this one, and this is from someone who hates NJ, and esp. hates BRODEUR, that traitor

And I like Lidstrom.

Anyways this season should be a dream for him (and has been so far). I'm looking forward to playing NJ actually this year, Lemaire vs Martin, master vs apprentice! (of the trap)

Next Best Thing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 05:08 AM
Washington Capitals

Lidas.

Washington Capitals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 06:13 AM
skipole
Professional Cynic

To clarify... is this poll asking who is the best player to play in the NHL in the last decade? Or is it asking who has been the best over the course of the entire decade?

If it's the former, then I choose Lemieux.

If it's the latter, and I assume it is, then this is a tough decision and a very good poll idea.

I choose Lidstrom, and here's my rationale:

- As I see it, Lidstrom is the third best defeseman to ever play hockey, after Orr and Harvey. I don't really see much competition for him here... A better defenseman has not played the game in the last 25 years, let alone this decade.

- Brodeur is not a shoe-in for top-3 goalies of all time. For most of his career, unlike Lidstrom, he probably wasn't the best goalie in the game. Hasek and Roy were both brilliant while Brodeur was playing. Then you factor in the goalies from previous eras, like Plante, Sawchuk, and Dryden... it's clear that Brodeur would be top-5 but I don't think he faces much stiffer competition than Lidstrom.

Lidstrom: 127 goals, 447 assists, plus-232, six Norris trophies, two Stanley Cups, one Conn Smythe

Brodeur: 356-194-48-23 record, 2.22 goals against average, four Vezina trophies, two Stanley Cups

skipole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 07:06 AM
tony d
Thanks for memories

Nicklas Lidstrom

tony d is offline   Reply With Quote