HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

- Emery to IR, approx. six weeks; Johan Backlund recalled

Old
12-09-2009, 11:41 AM
Cleary84

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
My thoughts exactly. Let's just hope the team isn't in too deep a hole by the time he's healthy again.
I think if we grind it out for the next month or so, and hopefully let our promising offense steal a few games, Ray's resurgence will energize the hell out of our guys and shoot us down the stretch.

I've never and I won't ever give up on this team.

Cleary84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 03:56 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 2151
Surgery was performed, termed successful:

http://www.csnphilly.com/pages/landi...122&feedID=695
Quote:

"Ray Emery had successful surgery this morning to repair a significant tear of his rectus abdominus on the left side of his lower stomach," said general manager Paul Holmgren. "Surgery was performed by Dr. William Meyers at Hahnemann Hospital.

"Ray will be released later today, and initiate his rehab tomorrow. Ray will be out of action approximately six weeks."

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 04:02 PM
bennysflyers16

With some real tough games starting Saturday, anyone think we should throw Backlund in Thursday vs the Sens and see what he's got. Or is that too risky, that we could blow any momentum we got from last night' s win ?

bennysflyers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 05:34 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 2151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
With some real tough games starting Saturday, anyone think we should throw Backlund in Thursday vs the Sens and see what he's got. Or is that too risky, that we could blow any momentum we got from last night' s win ?
I don't think the team can risk the unknown this soon. Backlund will get his chance because of the large stretch of game approaching but coming off a streak-ending win, stick with the same goalie. I thought maybe Backlund would finish up last night just to get the feel of an NHL game, maybe play the last 4-5 minutes in a one-sided game.

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 05:38 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
I don't think the team can risk the unknown this soon. Backlund will get his chance because of the large stretch of game approaching but coming off a streak-ending win, stick with the same goalie. I thought maybe Backlund would finish up last night just to get the feel of an NHL game, maybe play the last 4-5 minutes in a one-sided game.
The article you posted in the other thread (Accountability) suggests that Boucher will do some heavy lifting while Emery heals up.

Quote:
Even though there are 11 more games over the next 22 days, Brian Boucher will get the majority of starts in long stretches, while backup goalie Johan Backlund will only get a game here and there. “Life is about opportunities, and he’s got a good one right now,” Laviolette said of Boucher. “Right now, he’s going to be the guy who runs with it.”

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 05:44 PM
weerrt

Frankly, I was scared when I heard Emery and Boucher...
Now, for like 6 weeks Boucher and Backlund... Boucher was worthless in SEL and he is ofcourse better in NHL, but to be a Stanley Cup champion I really doubt it.
Backlund, he is a really good SEL goalie, but I am afraid, with his age, that he can not adapt to the NHL to be a great goalie.

I ofcourse can be wrong and both goalies will be the best... I will be first to bow and say I was wrong and in the same time cheer that they were better than I thought.

weerrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 08:28 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
I think that would be a tough situation to put Backlund in after sitting on the bench for an entire game. The last thing you would want is for Backlund to go in there cold, stretch for a save and get hurt.

As for the upcoming stretch, if Backlund gets 2 starts I think it will be a lot.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 08:33 AM
BringBackStevens

Looking at the schedule, the 14th against the Bruins, the 19ths against he rangers, the 21st against the panthers, and then one of the 26th or 27th against the bolts/canes look like possibilities for Backlund. I like the idea of getting him in there on the 14th nice and early so you at least know what you have. If he plays well maybe go back to him a bit earlier than you would and try to squeeze some more games out of him.

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 09:13 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inebriator View Post
Looking at the schedule, the 14th against the Bruins, the 19ths against he rangers, the 21st against the panthers, and then one of the 26th or 27th against the bolts/canes look like possibilities for Backlund. I like the idea of getting him in there on the 14th nice and early so you at least know what you have. If he plays well maybe go back to him a bit earlier than you would and try to squeeze some more games out of him.
Bruins have been playing quite well lately, not sure I would feel comfortable putting him out there against them. Especially when we REALLY need to try to win a few in a row and get some confidence back in the room. Possibly the game against the Rangers, and then you have to look at the back-to-backs coming up (Canes/Isles and TOR/Pitt).

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 09:22 AM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Bruins have been playing quite well lately, not sure I would feel comfortable putting him out there against them. Especially when we REALLY need to try to win a few in a row and get some confidence back in the room. Possibly the game against the Rangers, and then you have to look at the back-to-backs coming up (Canes/Isles and TOR/Pitt).
I just want to avoid him playing against the Penguins at all costs.

Old
12-10-2009, 09:27 AM
Jester

Quote:
I just want to avoid him playing against the Penguins at all costs.
Honestly, I think they're going to avoid playing him against anyone at all costs...but who knows, maybe Laviolette will feel a bit generous with a rookie goalie in a crucial stretch.

Old
12-10-2009, 09:30 AM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:

Looking at that schedule, I'd get him in for Florida and possibly Carolina. They appear to be the 2 that are least likely to crease crash on us. My thinking is that Backlund will have the most trouble with traffic. Those seem like good rest dates for Boosh.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 09:31 AM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Honestly, I think they're going to avoid playing him against anyone at all costs...but who knows, maybe Laviolette will feel a bit generous with a rookie goalie in a crucial stretch.

This is the most likely scenario.

Old
12-10-2009, 09:59 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Well I personally want him to play against the Bruins and then Boucher the Pens. There is no way Boucher will be able to handle 2 weeks of like 8 games. And if they decide not to play Backlund, get ready for an injury . That always happens. Also we are guessing Boucher will stay hot. All hot goalies cool off.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 10:01 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
so we are guessing Boucher will stay hot. All hot goalies cool off.
Except that my fear is that a cool Boucher may be better than Backlund period.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 10:08 AM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Well I personally want him to play against the Bruins and then Boucher the Pens. There is no way Boucher will be able to handle 2 weeks of like 8 games. And if they decide not to play Backlund, get ready for an injury . That always happens. Also we are guessing Boucher will stay hot. All hot goalies cool off.

I don't think Boucher is actually hot at the moment. He hasn't had to deal with many shots and he's really just done his job, Biron was much the same. Boucher has been pretty good and has the ability to get hot. Unfortunately as we all know, he has the ability to suck as well.

Old
12-10-2009, 10:09 AM
Jester

Quote:
Yeah, I'm pretty much going with this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
Backlund has a .903 SVPCT and a 2.81 GAA with the Phantoms...while that isn't terrible, it isn't exactly warming my cockles and leading me to believe he's going to step into the NHL and give you NHL-quality goaltending. I would avoid throwing him against a hot Bruins team, and I absolutely agree that you want no part of putting him up against the Pens.

It sucks. And, yes, Boucher is going to have to assume a very heavy workload for the time being...and we're going to have to hope for the best.

Old
12-10-2009, 10:09 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
I dont know about that one. If Backlund lets in 4 goals, you take him out, just like every other goalie in the league. If Boucher lets in 4/5 on like 20 shots, you give Backlund a chance, not leave Boucher in so he can get pumped to death.

Ive watched Backlund a few times this year and at times he stood on his head for the Phantoms to lose a game 3-0. Its pretty sad really. I, personally, am not writing him off because he is a foriegn 28 yr old goalie who has a 2.88 GAA in the AHL. At one time he was in the top 10 in stats.

Either way, I have a feeling Backlund will get atleast one start. If he does bad, put Boucher back in and go out and buy a stop gap. Only thing we can do.

Old
12-10-2009, 10:14 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Yeah, I'm pretty much going with this:

Backlund has a .903 SVPCT and a 2.81 GAA with the Phantoms...while that isn't terrible, it isn't exactly warming my cockles and leading me to believe he's going to step into the NHL and give you NHL-quality goaltending. I would avoid throwing him against a hot Bruins team, and I absolutely agree that you want no part of putting him up against the Pens.

It sucks. And, yes, Boucher is going to have to assume a very heavy workload for the time being...and we're going to have to hope for the best.
I do agree that I dont feel as comfortable on Backlund, but my idea is that, is Boucher really able to handle that load of games in the next 4-6 weeks? There will be some REALLY good teams back to back and Id rather us get destroyed in one(like lose by 4) and win the other then lose by 2 in both. Even though Boucher has been around for awhile he hasnt played more then 25 games since 2002-2003. I just think we can use Backlund once, maybe twice, just to give Boucher a rest. I personally dont want to see a 8-2 game again, and wearing out Boucher can make that happen.

Old
12-10-2009, 10:49 AM
Jester

Quote:
I do agree that I dont feel as comfortable on Backlund, but my idea is that, is Boucher really able to handle that load of games in the next 4-6 weeks? There will be some REALLY good teams back to back and Id rather us get destroyed in one(like lose by 4) and win the other then lose by 2 in both. Even though Boucher has been around for awhile he hasnt played more then 25 games since 2002-2003. I just think we can use Backlund once, maybe twice, just to give Boucher a rest. I personally dont want to see a 8-2 game again, and wearing out Boucher can make that happen.
...we're 14-13-1, and on the outside looking in on the playoffs as of now. It certainly isn't time to panic, but we no longer have the luxury of giving away games, IMO. Even when Emery gets back, I don't think he's good enough to do what, say, MAF did for the Pens last year as they went on their run to get back into the middle of the playoff pack (month splits Jan-April: .920, .900, .930 (9-1-2), and .912 for 24-11-5).

So, if Backlund is going to be in there...I want it to be against weak links, not the big boys...even if it's back-to-back situations.

I'm with you, I don't like overworking goalies. I thought how hard the played Emery was stupid, and said as much repetitively in this space. However, unless you got some high confidence in Backlund (I don't, maybe he proves me wrong and that would be great), I don't think you have any choice but to push Boucher very hard for the time being.

Old
12-10-2009, 02:15 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
I must say I would definitely be interested in a trade around Coburn and Halak.

Coburn+ Boucher for Halak + O'Byrne +pick

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 02:34 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Like I said, the first sign of trouble and a trade gets made.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 03:55 PM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
I must say I would definitely be interested in a trade around Coburn and Halak.

Coburn+ Boucher for Halak + O'Byrne +pick
Pass. Coburn has had a rough start and is being underrated on our board now because of it. Even when struggling, he's still a good defensemen and still has the potential to be a #2

Old
12-10-2009, 04:05 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Pass. Coburn has had a rough start and is being underrated on our board now because of it. Even when struggling, he's still a good defensemen and still has the potential to be a #2
One of the few trades that I'd consider doing would be Halak. He has some substantial upside and is already a talented goalie. He's only 24 or 25, too.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 04:09 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
One of the few trades that I'd consider doing would be Halak. He has some substantial upside and is already a talented goalie. He's only 24 or 25, too.
Halak would be nice.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote