HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What's their deal?

Old
12-08-2009, 06:20 PM
spezzy19

vCash: 500
What's their deal?

Is St. Louis afraid to use their young guys?

Take a look back at the last couple of draft picks and you'll notice that all these rookies take a couple of years playing in the AHL/juniors before they crack the roster. A lot of the time their first round picks don't even make their NHL debut (i.e. Ian Cole, Tomas Kama)

Oshie was drafted in 2005, but didn't play regularly until 2008.
Berglund was drafted in 2006 but didn't play regularly until 2008.
Eller was drafted pretty high in 2007, but only made his debut this year.
Even Erik Johnson, who was a first overall pick, took a year playing at the U of Minnesota before getting signed. I think you get the idea....

So many of their draft picks have been total busts (i.e. they have never seen any NHL ice time). Why draft players if you're not going to use them?

Honestly though, they need to stop giving guys like Petro false hope. I understand a year of conditioning can work wonders for a player, but it's obvious that these young guys are eager to play... It's not always a bad thing to be a little fish in a big pond!

Just sayin'
(cue all the "YOUNG PLAYERS NEED TIMEEEEEEE" comments)

And yes, I am aware of that my avatar makes this whole post more ironic

spezzy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 06:26 PM
BergMan
#BackesForSelke

There won't be any "young players need time" comments over here. All of us are dying to have peitro and eller play instead of guys like weaver and winchester. Even if adding them sets us back a little bit for now i think it will be wonders for the future if they can get some extra experience now.
the blues just need some right now

BergMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 06:27 PM
Randall Ritchey
The Fourth Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booker T View Post

Take a look back at the last couple of draft picks and you'll notice that all these rookies take a couple of years playing in the AHL/juniors before they crack the roster. A lot of the time their first round picks don't even make their NHL debut (i.e. Ian Cole, Tomas Kama)

I think you get the idea.... Even Erik Johnson, who was a first overall pick, took a year playing at the U of Minnesota before getting signed.

So many of their draft picks have been total busts (i.e. they have never seen any NHL ice time). Why draft players if you're not going to use them?

Honestly though, they need to stop giving guys like Petro false hope. I understand a year of conditioning can work wonders for a player, but it's obvious that these young guys are eager to play... It's not always a bad thing to be a little fish in a big pond!

Just sayin'
First off, Cole wants to continue his education and the Blues, who would have liked him to turn pro, isn't arguing that.
Kana wasn't a first round pick.
Oshie took three years, the guy need to fill out quite a bit and development could take up to five years for A LOT of players. This hasn't been the case for the Blues prospects.
Berglund took TWO years.
Eller hasn't been ready for the NHL.
Johnson didn't feel ready for the NHL either.
Some players aren't Crosby, Ovechkin, etc and come in and completely dominant a year after being drafted.
Calling them busts is utterly ridiculous. Do a little research before making posts like this.

Randall Ritchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 06:37 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 50
Geez man, Oshie was in high school. Give me a list of all these other teams who are drafting mid to late first round players who play immediately, and I'll show you a basketball team.

2 Minute Minor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 06:46 PM
journeyman79

I half agree with you. The Blues do seem conservative when it comes to developing their prospects, but alot of the players you named also wanted to continue their education.

journeyman79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 06:54 PM
spezzy19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshniak View Post
First off, Cole wants to continue his education and the Blues, who would have liked him to turn pro, isn't arguing that.
Kana wasn't a first round pick.
Oshie took three years, the guy need to fill out quite a bit and development could take up to five years for A LOT of players. This hasn't been the case for the Blues prospects.
Berglund took TWO years.
Eller hasn't been ready for the NHL.
Johnson didn't feel ready for the NHL either.
Some players aren't Crosby, Ovechkin, etc and come in and completely dominant a year after being drafted.
Calling them busts is utterly ridiculous. Do a little research before making posts like this.
At least you're not denying the fact that there's a pattern. I don't consider those guys busts, I consider guys who were drafted in the 2nd or 3rd round and never playing an NHL game to be busts (i.e. Hjalmarsson, Sonne, Jackson, McRae, Allen) The last two not so much, considering they still have some time, but the others were pretty much just draft picks that went down the drain...

I also forgot about Bishop, who was drafted in 05, and is still only considered a prospect for the organization...

spezzy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 07:04 PM
Randall Ritchey
The Fourth Period

Quote:
At least you're not denying the fact that there's a pattern. I don't consider those guys busts, I consider guys who were drafted in the 2nd or 3rd round and never playing an NHL game to be busts (i.e. Hjalmarsson, Sonne, Jackson, McRae, Allen) The last two not so much, considering they still have some time, but the others were pretty much just draft picks that went down the drain...

I also forgot about Bishop, who was drafted in 05, and is still only considered a prospect for the organization...
Sonne is in his first season with Peoria, Hjalmarsson has been building up his body and looked well in the Blues prospects camp this past year. I would call Jackson a bust. Thats about it off that list as of now.

Old
12-08-2009, 07:24 PM
Blueshockey2*

Booker T...Please explain to me how it was the Blues fault that Oshie wanted to stay at UND in order to play to win the National Championship? The Blues were pitiful in 06 and 07 if I need to remind you, hell I would've stayed @ UND too...

Berglund wasn't strong enough, he went back to Sweden, worked on his game, added muscle..
Eller could've made the team last year if he didn't suffer the shoulder injury, pluys he still had a contract with Frolunda and the Blues would've had to pay off his contract to Frolunda, doesn't make much sense to do that to me...

EJ was FINE in his first year, he battled the injury bug and he's really starting to play like the #1 overall pick he was thought out to be

Blueshockey2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 08:23 PM
fcpremix88

Quote:

Even Erik Johnson, who was a first overall pick, took a year playing at the U of Minnesota before getting signed. I think you get the idea....

Just sayin'

No mention of Perron? And I suppose Polak/Backes/McClement/Jackman are busts because they took a few years to make the NHL.

You're judging prematurely. Most prospects take more than 1-2 years after being drafted to even make it in the AHL.

fcpremix88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 12:17 AM
Bluester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshniak View Post
Sonne is in his first season with Peoria, Hjalmarsson has been building up his body and looked well in the Blues prospects camp this past year. I would call Jackson a bust. Thats about it off that list as of now.
Do us a favor and change your avatar. I don't need people confusing you with me. You have enough fans as is.

Bluester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 12:31 AM
Randall Ritchey
The Fourth Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluester View Post
Do us a favor and change your avatar. I don't need people confusing you with me. You have enough fans as is.
AHH! Sorry Bluester! Didn't realize you had that one! I'll change it right away, my apologies.

Old
12-09-2009, 02:05 AM
ChicagoBlues

Quote:

Just sayin'

Dude...you're way off on several things.

While we fans are getting restless to watch our young ones play it doesn't mean that The Blues Organization is off track.

It's just that we've reached that point in The Blues' development where the coaches and management begin to give young players access to The NHL. It's all happening at once. The Org has **** loads of talent and some of it is starting to "come of age". The time when we see if they are NHL material or not.

There's really only a couple players who the fans have been hoping to see play and that would be Pietrangelo and Eller.

Many of us, like me, thought that Lemtyugov, a young Russian prospect, should have been given an opportunity sooner, rather than later. He didn't get that opportunity and left for Russia.

In the case of Pietrangelo I think The Blues have been mostly up front with him. Why would they tell the media all of their business? We've (the fans) been wondering what is going on and have made up all kinds of paranoid possibilities of what is happening. And really I think Pietro has mostly known what was going on and what was going to happen with him, mostly. I reserve some reserve for The Blues.

Personally, I think The Blues should have played Pietro heavily from game one of this season and work the **** out of him and make him hit the wall. He needs to experience muscle failure. I sure hope he's getting that from Ayotte.

Eller was an enigma because he got so little playing time in Sweden, but still did well. He kept getting injured, which continues today.

The Blues are quickly approaching that crucial time in the organization's development and history. Who do The Blues keep and who they trade away or let go? We can't keep everybody!!!!!!!

ChicagoBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 05:36 PM
SteenMachine

So everyone who doesn't make it to the NHL by 21 is a bust now? What part of a 180lb, 19 year old, with no body strength, sounds like they belong in the NHL anytime soon?

It's not about needing time to get better skills, it's time to get bigger, faster, more consistent, much stronger, more balance; a full two-way game; not just riding out a scoring streak in juniors or European league and leap frogging into NHL stardom.

SteenMachine is online now   Reply With Quote