HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Matt Moulson

Old
12-08-2009, 06:23 PM
imissgretzky

vCash: 500
Matt Moulson

It's time to talk about the elephant in the room.

I'm watching Flyers vs Islanders on Vs and the in-studio announcers said that the key to the game for the Flyers is stopping Matt Moulson of all people.

How can it be that he is so much better this year than he ever was with us? Did we play him incorrectly? Did he take a magic pill in the off-season and become a star player? Did we miss the boat in getting rid of him instead of Purcell?

At this point he's past the point of a hot start and turning into a bona-fide star. I'm happy for him but I can't help thinking we blew it by dropping him.

imissgretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 06:26 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
It isn't an elephant in the room, he is the same player, he has just been given a better opportunity on a team not as deep. We had better options available to us, but he has always had a good shot and is now playing on a line that allows him to exploit that ability full-tilt.

“We still have a lot of guys who haven't scored a goal since Jesus was a baby.” - Darryl Sutter
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 06:29 PM
Bandit

Yay, another thread on a guy we let go. Again.

Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 06:29 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

That's an issue that speaks directly to coaching. Different coach, different staff, different role, different results.

Legionnaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 06:34 PM
wabwat

Send a message via AIM to wabwat
bona fide star?

he was given an opportunity and is making the most of it.

he was never a bad player, he just couldn't find his game here. the Kings had to cut bait because there wasn't a real identifiable role for him when you start to look further and further along the depth chart... and he wasn't sacrificed in lieu of Ted Purcell either, really.

Ted Purcell has through the remainder of the season before HE reaches the Matt Moulson "stage" of his career... a one-year offer somewhere to be given a final chance to prove he can play in this league.

Moulson has done himself a solid. he has done a terrific job in earning a gig in the NHL... if not with the Islanders again, then someone else.

wabwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 06:35 PM
imissgretzky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire View Post
That's an issue that speaks directly to coaching. Different coach, different staff, different role, different results.
So was our coaching staff unable to see that he would be productive if we put him on our top line? Did they drop him because they just didn't have a spot for him, even though they knew he was this good?

Old
12-08-2009, 06:37 PM
wabwat

Quote:
Originally Posted by imissgretzky View Post
So was our coaching staff unable to see that he would be productive if we put him on our top line? Did they drop him because they just didn't have a spot for him, even though they knew he was this good?

how good is he? are you completely convinced this Matt Moulson is the same Matt Moulson you'll see next season?

Old
12-08-2009, 06:39 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Isn't it kinda like **** our get off the pot for him as well? He appears to be taking a fat one right now. Only time will tell if it was diarhea or an actual turd. He was incredibly constipated in LA though.

Why do I have this feeling we'll be doing this very thing with Purcell next year?

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 06:41 PM
Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabwat View Post
how good is he? are you completely convinced this Matt Moulson is the same Matt Moulson you'll see next season?
As I said in the last thread on this player (oddly enough also titled "Matt Moulson"):

We're talking about a guy who wasn't signed by the team that drafted him, was let go by one of the worst teams in the league, and is now playing top line minutes for one of the worst teams in the league. He's also gonna be 26 years old in two weeks (this was back in October, he's now 26). He's likable enough, but so was Derek Armstrong. That doesn't mean he's a great talent.

How many times do we really need to go over this?

Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 06:43 PM
Bad Will Hunting
It's my fault

vCash: 69
I will admit I haven't seen a ton of Islanders games but from what I have seen most of Moulson's success is Taveres setting him up with pretty easy goals.

Kind of reminds me of Gretzky and Yachmenev.

Bad Will Hunting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 06:47 PM
wabwat

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivelikejoewho View Post

Why do I have this feeling we'll be doing this very thing with Purcell next year?
obviously that's an up in the air - may or may not happen. but it certainly wouldn't come as a surprise if it did.

Teddy is probably a bit more talented than Moulson is.

Old
12-08-2009, 06:48 PM
wabwat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
I will admit I haven't seen a ton of Islanders games but from what I have seen most of Moulson's success is Taveres setting him up with pretty easy goals.

and i wouldn't doubt that the opportunity to play there alone came as a result of Matt's relationship with Tavares... at least in part.

Old
12-08-2009, 06:53 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabwat View Post
Teddy is probably a bit more talented than Moulson is.
No doubt. Teddy hasn't played that bad and he certainly hustles but he isn't producing. At some point he is going to need to start scoring or we will be having this conversation next year.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 06:57 PM
imissgretzky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
As I said in the last thread on this player (oddly enough also titled "Matt Moulson"):

We're talking about a guy who wasn't signed by the team that drafted him, was let go by one of the worst teams in the league, and is now playing top line minutes for one of the worst teams in the league. He's also gonna be 26 years old in two weeks (this was back in October, he's now 26). He's likable enough, but so was Derek Armstrong. That doesn't mean he's a great talent.

How many times do we really need to go over this?
You have the choice not to click on the thread.

Old
12-08-2009, 07:09 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
You have the choice not to click on the thread.
You also have the choice to search for threads. This has been discussed ad nauseum.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 07:18 PM
kingsfan28
Its A Kingspiracy !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
You also have the choice to search for threads. This has been discussed ad nauseum.
This won't be the last thread on Moulson.

kingsfan28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 07:27 PM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
Or let's ask ourselves this question:

What kind of team plays Matt Moulson on their first line?

Do any of you have angst because Petiot was playing 15+ minutes a night with the Tampa Bay Lightning last year?

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 07:27 PM
johnjm22

The same thing will happen with Purcell.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 07:28 PM
imissgretzky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Thanks for the tip. Just did a search. The last thread in this forum with Moulson in the title was from 10/21 when he had 6 pts in 7 games. At that point the season was still very young and it could be said that he was just off to a hot start. At this point the season is 1/3 over and he is still playing well, proving that he is probably more than a flash in the pan for this season at least. So to me, it is relevant to revisit the question.

I'm sure it's been brought up in other threads too. Sorry, I don't read every post in every thread. Again, if you're not interested then why are you even clicking on the thread?

Old
12-08-2009, 07:36 PM
SC2008

Grats to Moulson, but by looking at the Kings record, they ain't hurting.

Its a similar situation with Quincy and the Red Wings last season. Sure Quincy was a great player for the lowly Kings, but there was no room for him on the Wings.

Detroit still made the finals. It happens to the best of teams. Its a sign the Kings have some serious depth, on their way to being a winning organization.

All the best teams have this problem with letting home-grown developed talent go. Trust me, its a good problem to have.

SC2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 07:37 PM
wabwat

Quote:
Thanks for the tip. Just did a search. The last thread in this forum with Moulson in the title was from 10/21 when he had 6 pts in 7 games. At that point the season was still very young and it could be said that he was just off to a hot start. At this point the season is 1/3 over and he is still playing well, proving that he is probably more than a flash in the pan for this season at least. So to me, it is relevant to revisit the question.

I'm sure it's been brought up in other threads too. Sorry, I don't read every post in every thread. Again, if you're not interested then why are you even clicking on the thread?

i think the key would have been to bump the old thread.

Old
12-08-2009, 07:37 PM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
guess who just got an assist tonight

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 07:38 PM
ukyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post

Nope, surprisingly he's been doing a lot of it on his own. If anyone is giving him the love, it's been Mark Streit (who's probably one of the best playmaking defensemen in the league), but mostly he's been generating his own offense.

However, I think this is more a result of him being given an opportunity without the worry of being sent down.

ukyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 07:45 PM
dabeechman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughty Number 8 View Post
guess who just got an assist tonight
He got an assist because the puck hit him. He also missed two open nets that even Kopitar could have put it.

dabeechman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 07:49 PM
Johnny Utah

Moulson is also playing in the slower Eastern conference where his bad skating isn't such an issue....

I heard him interviewed on toronto radio this morning...he has ties to Scott Gordan and the Tavares family....he played lacrosse with John's brother and worked out with John.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote