HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Notices

Marketing / Fan Interest

Old
10-18-2009, 10:54 AM
TucsonYotesFan

vCash: 500
Marketing / Fan Interest

The Boston announcers drove me nuts with the repeated comments about our financial woes. At one point, one announcer said that it looked like a virtual certainty that the club would be gone next year. I've never been so depressed while watching a game that we won!

The empty seats got me thinking about the immediate challenge of bringing in fans and what challenges a a future owner will have when/if the club is sold and intends to stay in Phoenix. I'm curious about the opinions of some die-hard fans on this board on what it will take to reignite the fan base. Should the club:

1) Develop a bunch of gimmicky giveaway/theme nights
2) Acquire a player or players that are household names (ala Roenick/Tkachuk in the early days). Could they ever afford it and who would energize Phoenix?
3) Should they unveil new unis again or go "back to the future" with the old logo/look from the AWA days? Would fans care? Is there a feeling that the current unis (black excluded) are too boring? Any cool ideas?
4) Something else?

Obviously winning will help and usually cures all ailments. Look what winning did for the Cards and their history was more pathetic than almost any sports franchise. As well as the team has played thus far, how long will it take for the fans to embrace them? Does the fanbase need ownership resolution to be assured that team will not pull up stakes at the end of the year?

I'm hoping for some legitimate ideas for team success that will work in Phoenix. I'd love to say put a new arena in downtown Phoenix but that is not realistic. To all the crazy canucks, save the "Move the team to Canada" crap! That's what I 'm trying to avoid.

TucsonYotesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 12:12 PM
kingbrutis

Quote:
Originally Posted by TucsonYotesFan View Post
The Boston announcers drove me nuts with the repeated comments about our financial woes. At one point, one announcer said that it looked like a virtual certainty that the club would be gone next year. I've never been so depressed while watching a game that we won!

The empty seats got me thinking about the immediate challenge of bringing in fans and what challenges a a future owner will have when/if the club is sold and intends to stay in Phoenix. I'm curious about the opinions of some die-hard fans on this board on what it will take to reignite the fan base. Should the club:

1) Develop a bunch of gimmicky giveaway/theme nights
2) Acquire a player or players that are household names (ala Roenick/Tkachuk in the early days). Could they ever afford it and who would energize Phoenix?
3) Should they unveil new unis again or go "back to the future" with the old logo/look from the AWA days? Would fans care? Is there a feeling that the current unis (black excluded) are too boring? Any cool ideas?
4) Something else?

Obviously winning will help and usually cures all ailments. Look what winning did for the Cards and their history was more pathetic than almost any sports franchise. As well as the team has played thus far, how long will it take for the fans to embrace them? Does the fanbase need ownership resolution to be assured that team will not pull up stakes at the end of the year?

I'm hoping for some legitimate ideas for team success that will work in Phoenix. I'd love to say put a new arena in downtown Phoenix but that is not realistic. To all the crazy canucks, save the "Move the team to Canada" crap! That's what I 'm trying to avoid.
We went to the game last night had had a blast. I think this was drawn out so long and all the media said this team belongs in Canada so much that people have bought into it. When we had season tickets, we sat in 110. I gave tickets to guys who I worked with and they went and loved the game. They couldnt wait to go to another. Then we ended up moving to 220 for money reasons. All of them were dissapointed after being so close to the action. They still liked going, but nothing like screaming at the penalty box after Danny got in a scrap.

Anyway, I think a new owner need to be brought in soon. I really do think that would help alot. They (I am assuming Ice Edge) needs to be in the media constantly doing interviews, assuring fans they arnt supporting a lame duck team, pumping the team to the fans as being very good, ect.....

I saw this idea somewhere else but the idea of busses from the scottsdale, mesa, phoenix, ect... that would drive fans to the game and sell a few pops. Couldn't hurt.

We as fans need to do our part creating a new tradition that people can feel apart of. I dont know, sandstorm, or mabey something to do with Saguaro's?

One thing I think would help would be reaching out to the Latino community. I can't ever remember anything like that being done. It's like 40% of our population. Anyone who sees the game live usually love it.

On a weeknight against a bad drawing team, $1 beers would go over good.

I could come up with alot more

kingbrutis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 12:13 PM
Coyote_Fan

winning will help, but these announces have to realize that the southwest was decimated by the economy crash. people just dont have the money they used to to blow on sports.

hockey or the electric bill? gotta sadly go with the electric bill.

Coyote_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 02:42 PM
AZCOYOT

I think it has to be certain that this team will exist past this season, otherwise I find it impossible to blame the general public for not showing interest in what many believe is a lame duck season.

AZCOYOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 03:19 PM
Don LXXIX

Do the Coyotes market to larger companies and have group offers. When I lived near San Francisco, the company I worked for had party nights at the ballpark for Giants baseball. Bus transportation, food, drinks and got a shout out at the game from the announcers. A fun way to attract new interest because lots of non baseball people went to the game....

As for transportation, the 49ers football and local bus companies had a great system of busses that brought nearly everyone to the game from all over the Bay Area.

Sorry for all the Nor California stuff but that is what I know...

Don LXXIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 04:34 PM
SH1VERmeT1MBERS

It's all moot until the ownership situation is resolved.

SH1VERmeT1MBERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 04:39 PM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote_Fan View Post
winning will help, but these announces have to realize that the southwest was decimated by the economy crash. people just dont have the money they used to to blow on sports.

hockey or the electric bill? gotta sadly go with the electric bill.
The economy has hit alot of places hard not just the southeast.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 06:08 PM
ssmatik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogary Flayotes View Post
I think it has to be certain that this team will exist past this season, otherwise I find it impossible to blame the general public for not showing interest in what many believe is a lame duck season.
^This^

I know I have simplistic view of things but the people that I talk to that used to go to games have a simplistic view of things also. It's called buy-in.

More than anything else in this whole debacle I blame Judge Redfield T. Baum for around 6000 of the empty seats on Thursday and 8000 of them on Saturday.

When he took this case he treated it like a conventional case and it wasn't. When he realized that he had screwed up he became paralyzed with fear that his non-existent legacy would become further tarnished so he sat on his hands and ultimately decided nothing.

Most people think that this was strictly a business matter but it wasn't in my simplistic opinion. It was a community matter. The judge did not consider the damage he was doing to the psyche of the community while he waited for the season to start. He then walked away without doing anything to help ease the psyche of the community and thus the business. The judge should of made a decision back in June. I think he should have thrown the whole case out and had them work out the ownership issue before allowing them back in BK court. In a regular civil court ALL of the numbers would have been brought out. Every penny. It's like the judge repossessed a truck to settle a claim against another party and then used it as his private vehicle all summer while he put 25,000 miles on it and then gave the truck back and said he changed his mind about his original plan.

I am a full season ticket holder because I love to watch hockey. The economy is in the toilet but I don't blame that on the attendance. The movie theaters are full and the price for a family of 4 is about the same as the Coyotes promotional nights. The community is not buying in. They won't root/give money to what they perceive to be an outsider setting up a temporary tent while traveling through town.

I firmly believe that crowds would increase more from an owner stepping forward and going out in the community and making a long-term commitment to staying in the valley than simply winning. Yes it would be great to be a winning team too but I don't think we can expect more than 13,000 at a first round series unless it was against the Red Wings.

Last edited by ssmatik: 10-18-2009 at 06:25 PM.
ssmatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 06:19 PM
Rbenj

Agreed that ownership needs to be resolved before anything else.
But, it won't hurt to throw out some ideas.. I think this thread is perfect.

Someone mentioned on another thread about bussing students from ASU. I like that idea. Have like a regularly scheduled college night. Colaborate with all the CC's, ASU, and maybe even UofA to meet at a certain place in their respective campuses. With valid ID, offer them up discounted tix at a designated section. Have a bus ready to go to and from the game, and voila, you'll have a raucus atmosphere at the job.

Since Thursdays are the all 'u can eat', Saturdays are the 'Family night', maybe Tuesdays can be 'college night'

Rbenj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 06:23 PM
ssmatik

Quote:
Originally Posted by mon2mon2 View Post

Since Thursdays are the all 'u can eat', Saturdays are the 'Family night', maybe Tuesdays can be 'college night'
Good idea but there is only one Tuesday game this year when ASU is in session. But there are 5 Monday games.

Old
10-18-2009, 06:27 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mon2mon2 View Post
Someone mentioned on another thread about bussing students from ASU. I like that idea. Have like a regularly scheduled college night. Colaborate with all the CC's, ASU, and maybe even UofA to meet at a certain place in their respective campuses. With valid ID, offer them up discounted tix at a designated section. Have a bus ready to go to and from the game, and voila, you'll have a raucus atmosphere at the job.

It was me and I still really like the idea of a college night and a "student section" at the game. Give them a discount, a ride and a couple of free beers on the way to the game and I think it'll take off. If they have a ride they might even buy some beers at the game and if it's all in the same general section it will definitely help create a wild atmosphere that the Yotes could really use.

Oh and for the record I would love for them to switch back to the old logo. I think it was cool and very unique. Plus I'm tired of trying to "fit in" with the what is considered the NHL norm. They turned on us in an instant so screw them! Lets flaunt the crazy ass psycho Coyote!!

Sinurgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 06:36 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Hopefully they make that stupid trolly run all the way to Westgate pretty soon. The trolly and a new job would be enough to get me to go to fifteen, or so, games a year. If I could ride the train, I'd even go to games alone if I had to.

rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 06:59 PM
ssmatik

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Hopefully they make that stupid trolly run all the way to Westgate pretty soon. The trolly and a new job would be enough to get me to go to fifteen, or so, games a year. If I could ride the train, I'd even go to games alone if I had to.
Where do you live?

The bus goes right by there.

Old
10-18-2009, 07:13 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmatik View Post
Where do you live?

Alma School and Guadalupe.

rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 08:03 PM
TucsonYotesFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinurgy View Post
It was me and I still really like the idea of a college night and a "student section" at the game. Give them a discount, a ride and a couple of free beers on the way to the game and I think it'll take off. If they have a ride they might even buy some beers at the game and if it's all in the same general section it will definitely help create a wild atmosphere that the Yotes could really use.

Oh and for the record I would love for them to switch back to the old logo. I think it was cool and very unique. Plus I'm tired of trying to "fit in" with the what is considered the NHL norm. They turned on us in an instant so screw them! Lets flaunt the crazy ass psycho Coyote!!

I loved the old logo and colors, too! I'd like to see someone that is good with photo shop, etc. throw up some pictures of the old unis with the current coyote head. I'd also like to the crescent moon logo shown on the current black jersey. Anyone up for it? Jazzing up the look could help with the marketing but likely couldn't be pulled off until the start of next year.

I'd like to see the team pull out a full court press throughout Phoenix. sned players to schools to talk to kids and teach the basics of hockey. They could distribute 100 or more tix to each school to give out as academic awards. The kids could then take their parents and at least fill some of the vacant seats until this thing turns around. Maybe we could create some new full-time fans in the process. I've never met anyone that did not enjoy the experience of going to a game.

College nights could be a good idea. Maybe they could dole out some free tix and drink vouchers to hot coeds and the males would flock to the arena! Singles night?

Continued winning and rock solid ownership is the main thing that we need. I just started this thread to see if anyone else had been giving this some thought. If the arena could start bringing in the fans and continue to hang in the palyoff hunt, it should only help attract a suitable ownership group.

TucsonYotesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 08:06 PM
Colt45Blast
It Works Everytime!

Right after the Florida vs Arkansas football game ended on CBS the Coyotes commercial advertising tickets on sale for the Red Wings matchup on Thursday knowing it was a high rating CF match-up.
Good move indeed!
Posted via Mobile Device

Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 08:15 PM
Colt45Blast
It Works Everytime!

Quote:
^This^

I know I have simplistic view of things but the people that I talk to that used to go to games have a simplistic view of things also. It's called buy-in.

More than anything else in this whole debacle I blame Judge Redfield T. Baum for around 6000 of the empty seats on Thursday and 8000 of them on Saturday.

When he took this case he treated it like a conventional case and it wasn't. When he realized that he had screwed up he became paralyzed with fear that his non-existent legacy would become further tarnished so he sat on his hands and ultimately decided nothing.

Most people think that this was strictly a business matter but it wasn't in my simplistic opinion. It was a community matter. The judge did not consider the damage he was doing to the psyche of the community while he waited for the season to start. He then walked away without doing anything to help ease the psyche of the community and thus the business. The judge should of made a decision back in June. I think he should have thrown the whole case out and had them work out the ownership issue before allowing them back in BK court. In a regular civil court ALL of the numbers would have been brought out. Every penny. It's like the judge repossessed a truck to settle a claim against another party and then used it as his private vehicle all summer while he put 25,000 miles on it and then gave the truck back and said he changed his mind about his original plan.

I am a full season ticket holder because I love to watch hockey. The economy is in the toilet but I don't blame that on the attendance. The movie theaters are full and the price for a family of 4 is about the same as the Coyotes promotional nights. The community is not buying in. They won't root/give money to what they perceive to be an outsider setting up a temporary tent while traveling through town.

I firmly believe that crowds would increase more from an owner stepping forward and going out in the community and making a long-term commitment to staying in the valley than simply winning. Yes it would be great to be a winning team too but I don't think we can expect more than 13,000 at a first round series unless it was against the Red Wings.

The Arizona State Fair is in town this month as they have always been completion for us in our slowest selling month of the year according to my former rep.
Bankruptcy and the lack of a new owner has did some real damage to this team and do on but I do think if we do make the playoffs we will sellout since at the end of the day the people of Metro Phoenix want to see a team that can win if you get what I mean.

Attendance will improve slowly as the bankruptcy talks have slowed down and as long as the team keeps on doing good then the media has no choice but to mention how good the teams performance is especially if the Suns do bad this season and the Cards have a season that fall short of the playoffs.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old
10-18-2009, 08:20 PM
Colt45Blast
It Works Everytime!

Quote:
Where do you live?

it would take several buses and lots of time with traffic to get from where he is in the EV to the WestGate.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old
10-18-2009, 08:32 PM
hao chi

I think the team just needs to keep winning until the ownership issue is resolved. A winning team with a new owner should help attendance a lot, but Ice Edge also needs to spread the word that the team is staying in Glendale.

Also, I fully support a move back to the old unis. Not only is it a good marketing technique, but I love those jerseys. And I know they're popular with Coyotes fans, since it seems like I see almost as many retro jerseys as I do the new design.

hao chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 08:41 PM
Colt45Blast
It Works Everytime!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hao chi View Post
I think the team just needs to keep winning until the ownership issue is resolved. A winning team with a new owner should help attendance a lot, but Ice Edge also needs to spread the word that the team is staying in Glendale.

Also, I fully support a move back to the old unis. Not only is it a good marketing technique, but I love those jerseys. And I know they're popular with Coyotes fans, since it seems like I see almost as many retro jerseys as I do the new design.
Ice Edge l could be smoking mirrors.

Try selling the retro idea to Dan Bickley. Bickley thinks the WhiteOut should be no more.

Ill have to find the article
Posted via Mobile Device

Old
10-18-2009, 08:45 PM
hao chi

Ice Edge from what I've heard hasn't requested any out-clauses, and they seem the most serious about buying the team.

And no offense, but I don't give the slightest crap what Bickley says.

hao chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 08:49 PM
Colt45Blast
It Works Everytime!

I don't care all that much for Bickley either but his crap is believed the the sheep that cling onto every word he says.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old
10-18-2009, 09:03 PM

I think the biggest obstacle for the Coyotes is pricing their tickets at an appropriate value. Sure, you can say NHL tickets are worth $X but in this economy and market I think you have to put that in perspective and see what the real value of the tickets are.

For example, they do that deal for the home opener and sell out with standing room only. $25 lower level, $15 upper level -- it doesn't take a genius to figure out that is probably more likely the pricing structure that is going to pack the house than the one in place. I know they are going to lose a lot of money on that pricing structure, but they are going to lose a lot of money on an empty arena too.

I'd focus all on the value right now, get people going to the games, and that will get them hooked and as the economy improves they can adjust their prices appropriately. Obviously you have some major challenges such as season tickets and other sold tickets, but solutions are out there for innovative thinkers.

Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 09:17 PM
Devils Advocate
mmmmmm....Crow.

it would be REALLY helpful if one of the 3 local sports stations would talk about the Coyotes on their 30 minute Sunday night sports show. The team is in first place in their division, has a 3-game winning streak, has the #1 statistical goalie & defense in the league (sidenote, the Bruins goal Saturday was not a 5 on 5 goal), and they have already beaten last years Stanley cup champs, Presidents trophy winner, and the mighty Bruins.

I'm guessing all 3 stations will spend 24 minutes covering the Cardinals, have one minute of local football highlights, 5 minutes of commercials, but no Coyotes coverage.

Devils Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 09:26 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
J-Rock in the house!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Advocate View Post
it would be REALLY helpful if one of the 3 local sports stations would talk about the Coyotes on their 30 minute Sunday night sports show. The team is in first place in their division, has a 3-game winning streak, has the #1 statistical goalie & defense in the league (sidenote, the Bruins goal Saturday was not a 5 on 5 goal), and they have already beaten last years Stanley cup champs, Presidents trophy winner, and the mighty Bruins.

I'm guessing all 3 stations will spend 24 minutes covering the Cardinals, have one minute of local football highlights, 5 minutes of commercials, but no Coyotes coverage.
Well the reason those shows are on Sunday is probably because of football. Plus I'm not sure I'd want the current crop of local sports people discussing Coyotes hockey anyway. They probably have no idea what they are talking about.

SniperHF is online now   Reply With Quote