HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Nabby Signs with the Caps this Offseason

Old
12-08-2009, 11:10 PM
BrianSmith
Chokers

vCash: 500
Nabby Signs with the Caps this Offseason

Hey guys, it's been slow around here with the Sharks not playing for a few days so I thought I'd post a speculation thread. Mods, delete it if you think it is unnecessary.

I'm a huge Nabby fan, but I just have a feeling he's going to walk. Regardless of if you share that sentiment, if we do not sign him to an extension this season or to a new contract come FA time, who do you think gets him? Where would he be a good fit?

I have a gut feeling that it's the caps. It would be a great fit for the culture of the team, and they are a contender. Before anyone goes of on the culture climate, what I mean is this: Sharks culture seems to be mostly Canadians and USA players. With MM gone, Eastern Euro is down big time. (wasn't much before). For someone like the Nucks, they would be primarily Swedish. etc, etc, etc.

Anyways, what other teams do people think he'd be a good fit with?

Also, what say you about the notion that we either sign him to an extension before the trade deadline or we trade him?

I've heard this theory posted and am wondering what anybody thinks of this. With our D, I don't think we're going to go all the way. (in truth I'll always have hope). Anyways, would it be worth it to replenish our picks, prospects, and/or players by doing this trade or is it worth risking the loss of Nabby for nothing for another run at the cup?

Lastly, I suppose you could do the same thing for PM, but that would make me too sad to think about so I will have no part of it!

BrianSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 11:21 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
As a Hawks fan I dont see it

Varlamov is there young franchise goalie who is playing well this year , They have 2 big RFA's they have to sign (Semin and Backstrom) and they need to sign other's especially dman thru free agency to fill there roster

They wont have the $ to get someone like Nabokov

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 11:22 PM
lol3rdround

If you're seriously suggesting a top 5 team in the league should trade their starting goalie at the trade deadline I must encourage you to cease making threads.

lol3rdround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 11:23 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by lol2ndround View Post
If you're seriously suggesting a top 5 team in the league should trade their starting goalie at the trade deadline I must encourage you to cease making threads.
I agree with this guy

But if you are looking to move him

Huet + Beach + 1st for Nabokov

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 11:28 PM
BrianSmith
Chokers

Quote:
If you read the whole threat I put that as one of many questions/things to speculate. Part of speculating is taking a look at all aspects of something. You just chose to focus on the least likely part. Did you pay any attention to what teams would he fit with if he just walked in the off season? No. Instead you put some useless post that serves no purpose in this thread.

Old
12-08-2009, 11:30 PM
BrianSmith
Chokers

... and the main title is Nabby signs with the Caps this OFFSEASON. The bigger question being, what are some teams that Nabby would be a good fit in?

Old
12-08-2009, 11:30 PM
Kitten Mittons

I don't see Nabokov as very Russia-needy, in terms of wanting to be around his countrymen. He's married to an American woman, after all.

It's hard to say what team he would "fit" in... it's not really like being a forward or a defenseman. Goalies pretty much fit anywhere they're needed. I'm sure if he does sign with another team, it would be a contender.

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 11:32 PM
Vaasa

vCash: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianSmith View Post
Hey guys, it's been slow around here with the Sharks not playing for a few days so I thought I'd post a speculation thread. Mods, delete it if you think it is unnecessary.

I'm a huge Nabby fan, but I just have a feeling he's going to walk. Regardless of if you share that sentiment, if we do not sign him to an extension this season or to a new contract come FA time, who do you think gets him? Where would he be a good fit?

I have a gut feeling that it's the caps. It would be a great fit for the culture of the team, and they are a contender. Before anyone goes of on the culture climate, what I mean is this: Sharks culture seems to be mostly Canadians and USA players. With MM gone, Eastern Euro is down big time. (wasn't much before). For someone like the Nucks, they would be primarily Swedish. etc, etc, etc.

Anyways, what other teams do people think he'd be a good fit with?

Also, what say you about the notion that we either sign him to an extension before the trade deadline or we trade him?

I've heard this theory posted and am wondering what anybody thinks of this. With our D, I don't think we're going to go all the way. (in truth I'll always have hope). Anyways, would it be worth it to replenish our picks, prospects, and/or players by doing this trade or is it worth risking the loss of Nabby for nothing for another run at the cup?

Lastly, I suppose you could do the same thing for PM, but that would make me too sad to think about so I will have no part of it!
Nabby will be here through the end of the season. And then, unless he takes a major pay cut, he will be walk and sign with another team. I doubt he would go to Washington unless Varlamov completely falls apart this season. Or, knowing Doug Wilson and his stupid moves, Doug will re-sign Nabby to a 4-year $6.5 mil contract, let Patty walk, and trade away Pavelski and Murray for a couple of 6th round picks in order to clear cap space.

Vaasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 11:37 PM
BrianSmith
Chokers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhye View Post
I don't see Nabokov as very Russia-needy, in terms of wanting to be around his countrymen. He's married to an American woman, after all.
That's a good point. Out of contenders that need a goalie (I'm guessing he'd leave for a contender or resign in SJ), you have Philly, Caps(although Varlomov, sorry too tired to spell, is up and coming), the Sens would be an interesting one, um... I dunno.

Taking the contender notion off of it, I see some fits in Atlanta, and uhh yeah I guess that's where others come in with more compelling arguments. Before people start bashing like lolloser over here, I am here to be EDUCATED, and am interested in compelling reasons. I know it's the internetz and it would be ludicrous to think of actually asking for other people's opinions instead of forcing your own down others throats, but that's what I'm asking for.

Old
12-08-2009, 11:39 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianSmith View Post
Taking the contender notion off of it, I see some fits in Atlanta, and uhh yeah I guess that's where others come in with more compelling arguments. Before people start bashing like lolloser over here, I am here to be EDUCATED, and am interested in compelling reasons. I know it's the internetz and it would be ludicrous to think of actually asking for other people's opinions instead of forcing your own down others throats, but that's what I'm asking for.
There are a bunch of Russians there, so he might consider it. However, Atlanta is very different from the Bay Area, plus it's even possible that Kovy will sign with a KHL team.

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 11:39 PM
BrianSmith
Chokers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaasa View Post
Nabby will be here through the end of the season. And then, unless he takes a major pay cut, he will be walk and sign with another team. I doubt he would go to Washington unless Varlamov completely falls apart this season. Or, knowing Doug Wilson and his stupid moves, Doug will re-sign Nabby to a 4-year $6.5 mil contract, let Patty walk, and trade away Pavelski and Murray for a couple of 6th round picks in order to clear cap space.
Yeah, Washington doesn't seem like the best fit now that I think about it. Maybe it was just the Ovie/Nabby pipedream of Russian greatness getting in my way.

Old
12-08-2009, 11:51 PM
Ender

Send a message via AIM to Ender Send a message via Yahoo to Ender
As long as it's not the Ducks....

Ender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 11:54 PM
VP and GM
Havlat Sucks!

Another team might be the Lightning, I think Mike Smith has been struggling this season.

How about the Leafs and being re-united with Ron Wilson for whom Nabby had some great seasons. Toskala is a UFA this summer and has not been great this season. They may be tight on cap space next year unless they clean some more house.

How about Atlanta - Lehtonen is hurt again and is a UFA this summer. They have cap space.

Here's one. The Flyers!! He'd be an upgrade to Emery. They might have to unload some cap space however.

I think he'll get a big offer from the KHL and there is a chance he'll play there.

It would be just like DW to give Nabber a big extension at the deadline. I'd really rather see how he does in the playoffs this season if i'm DW, before I offer him any $$. I would not be sad to Nabber is gone as I don't think he's the answer in the playoffs for us. I don't think he'll be moved this season, after the season is over we'll either sign him or trade his rights before he's a UFA.

Should be an interesting next 9 months or so as Nabby, Turco, Giggy and Jose T are all big name, big dollar starters scheduled to be available.

I do think DW will give Patty an extension this season as he's having an even better year that last year and he's a proven playoff performer. Patty is the answer for is to win a cup.

VP and GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 12:15 AM
matt trick

If he leaves it'll be for Detroit, St. Louis, Atlanta (Pavelec has been great, but they seem to be of the opinion, the more Russians the better), Dallas, or Toronto (doubtful). I had Colorado on the list last offseason, but Anderson's been good enough, and much cheaper. Philly will be interested (probably stupid enough to offer him a looonggggg deal too, but there cap situation is bad.

Don't forget, Toskala, Giguere/Hiller, Biron, Harding, Lehtonen, Emery, Mason, Rinne/Ellis and Theodore could also hit the market. By hit the market I mean both trade and FA.

matt trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 12:25 AM
SC2008

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
I agree with this guy

If Nabby were to be traded it'd be on draft day ala Calgary did for Bouwmeester last season.

SC2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 12:27 AM
TheDanceOfMaternity

God damn, I nearly had an aneurism when I read this title until I noticed "speculation" in faint letters.

It just hit me that we need to frickin' keep Nabby. We are so overrating the capabilities of this team relying on a goalie like Greiss or Biron to get it done. Ain't gonna happen.

TheDanceOfMaternity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 01:05 AM
TheSandman

I would be surprised if Nabby didn't walk this offseason. I think he has too much pride to take a hometown discount. He also has too much pride to go wherever the money is regardless of the team's record, so I think Toronto and teams of their ilk are out of the question.

TheSandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 01:14 AM
dumpnchase

Nabby & Marleau aren't going anywhere as long DW offers at least 90% of what other teams offer.

How many family hockey players will (by there choice) leave the SF Bay Area, one of the best (if not the best) NHL cities to raise a family & no media/fan distractions, for a few hundred thousand when the team is winning (which it is even if we don't do squat in the playoffs)?

Especially to a place like DC or Ottawa. Would you leave the sunny bay area for cold DC or Ottawa all things being equal?

dumpnchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 02:06 AM
Domm

what are other top goalies making?

Domm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 02:11 AM
Nighthock
**** the Kings...

vCash: 163
If he walks and we don't sign/trade for someone else, we may be screwed next season ... I don't trust Greiss.

I'm not going to worry about it until the end of the season ... I want our "maybe next year" to be this God damn year.

Nighthock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 09:31 AM
sjshark91

vCash: 2810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
I agree with this guy

sjshark91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 11:36 AM
one2gamble

Atlanta, they seem to building a Russian conglomerate over there.

I know hes been on the west coast for a long time now but for some reason I dont know the hes as concerned with where he plays as he is with how much he plays/how wanted he is by the team.

one2gamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 11:49 AM
SactoShork
The Youth Movement

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by one2gamble View Post
Atlanta, they seem to building a Russian conglomerate over there.
Yeah, it looks like they'll grab anyone that would make Kovy more comfortable staying. So far, it's really paid off... Antropov and Afinogenov are puting up big numbers and the rumors suggest Kovalchuk is staying.

SactoShork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 12:12 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
The team cannot afford to keep Pavelski, Setoguchi, Marleau, and Nabokov without losing Blake and Clowe. Plain and simple. It's also unlikely they can keep those four without trading Douglas Murray either. Marleau could justifiably ask for 7 mil a season. Nabby could get 4 to 4.5 mil. Pavs at 3.5 and Seto at 4. I think the Marleau/Nabby contracts would end up being a wash from this year but they have to account for close to 5 million bucks to keep Seto and Pavs. Clowe and Blake out the door means 7 mil which would be just enough to keep the RFA's and replace the departed with something respectable.

If Nabokov left via UFA, he's going to go for the Cup and the Washington thing is not completely far-fetched. It's still too early to make an exact determination with Varlamov. Great so far but young goalies have a bad habit of riding a big high and following it with a great slump. A one year contract with Nabokov would probably be supreme for Washington at the 4 mil range.

I don't think Nabby will go the route of Nikolai Khabibulin and take the best deal out there. I think he'll go where he wants to go and if he needs to take less to do it, he will. I wouldn't rule out Detroit either in this situation.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 12:25 PM
Le Rosbeef

Roll on Alex Stalock.

(Yes, tongue in cheek!)

Le Rosbeef is offline   Reply With Quote