HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Robert Nilsson stepping it up.

Old
12-08-2009, 11:10 PM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

vCash: 500
Robert Nilsson stepping it up.

Guys put on some really gritty performances the past little while. He's made some nice offensive plays though I get the sense that he hasn't gained all his confidence back because I think he can do a lot more in the offensive role he's been put in. He's 24 years old and about to turn 25 and he looks pretty physically built for 5'11. I think we're seeing this guy mature as player through all this time maybe like Penner and Smid. I don't know if he'll keep this up but if he does he'll prove all this waiver-wire talk to be absolute nonsense. Personally I think Bobby Nilsson 2.0 is here to stay.

We can only hope Pouliot takes that same direction with his game. I've always liked the guy and he's shown flashes of that 2-way center with 30-40 point upside.

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 11:20 PM
Senor Catface

Who does Pouliot take out when he gets back even? I know this is a Nilsson topic, but since you mentioned Marc, where does he fit?

Senor Catface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 11:29 PM
Soli
Supervision Required

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datsun View Post
Who does Pouliot take out when he gets back even? I know this is a Nilsson topic, but since you mentioned Marc, where does he fit?
Stortini IMO. He's miscast playing center... if Pouliot can utilize his size, bring some faceoff prowess and keen defensive play, he stands a chance to get a few games as the 4th line center after a conditioning stint on the farm.

I think the real question is what happens when Comrie returns. Potulny's gonna have to keep putting up points.

Keeping this on topic... I'd like to see Nilsson try and get Cogliano going.

Soli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 11:33 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:

I don't know what gets into me.

Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 11:34 PM
Senor Catface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
Stortini IMO. He's miscast playing center... if Pouliot can utilize his size, bring some faceoff prowess and keen defensive play, he stands a chance to get a few games as the 4th line center after a conditioning stint on the farm.

I think the real question is what happens when Comrie returns. Potulny's gonna have to keep putting up points.

I think that's the problem though. The only time Pouliot uses his size is when he's getting plowed into the boards. I've never seen a guy get wailed on in the same manner trying to cut around the defenseman like Pouliot does.

I hope Potulny stays. It's a sort of feel good story, because he's worked through the minors for years now and he seems like a smart player. I never notice Potulny play a "bad" game, and I don't think I can say that for the majority of the players.

Keep in mind though, I've missed a couple games this year.

Senor Catface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 12:02 AM
ponokanocker

I've really liked what I've seen out of Nilsson this last little while as well. But will he be able to keep it up is what I'm concerned about? Hopefully he does.
In terms of where does Pouliot fit in when he is healthy again, I would definitely like to see O'Sullivan get some press box time. If they send Potulny down, I would be extremely dissapointed with what he has shown so far this year.

ponokanocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 12:16 AM
ThePresent83

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaBargnani View Post
Guys put on some really gritty performances the past little while. He's made some nice offensive plays though I get the sense that he hasn't gained all his confidence back because I think he can do a lot more in the offensive. He's 24 years old and about to turn 25 and he looks pretty physically built for 5'11. I think we're seeing this guy mature as player through all this time maybe like Penner and Smid. I don't know if he'll keep this up but if he does he'll prove all this waiver-wire talk to be absolute nonsense. Personally I think Bobby Nilsson 2.0 is here to stay.
Quinn cant let him get too comfortable... if Quinn can keep Nilsson from thinking hes earned some slack... but still allow nilsson the opportunities to keep his confidence high.. then i think you could be right.

Nilsson needs to take a paycut.. but i think he CAN be a 2 mil player eventually

ThePresent83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 12:32 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Maybe Quinn's heart to heart with him before his concussion did some good? I've been pleased with his play, although once again I have to ask how long it will last? As for when Pouliot comes back, I won't be very popular here but IMO he replaces Potulny if there are no other spots open.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 12:34 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 7000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post

I don't know what gets into me.
That's about a hundred times better than the picture I was going to put up.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 12:40 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
That's about a hundred times better than the picture I was going to put up.
Oh thats ok. I still remember "The Worst toilet in Scotland" on Trainspotting.

This is a clean site..

Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 12:54 AM
Hemskyfanboy83

Nilsson always seems to play his best right after he is inserted into the lineup. I remember on a few occasions now where he has had a few really strong games coming back from things like injuries/PB/AHL.

He has been really good but I want to see him do it for 10 games before I judge him.

Hemskyfanboy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 01:02 AM
TaylorHall
First overall

If Nilsson can bring his skill for every game, then I would be very happy.

Anyone have a YouTube video of Nilsson supposedly laying a big hit last game (Florida)? The TSN highlights only shows his Jedi skills when he made two Panthers collide with each other which was pretty damn sweet.

TaylorHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 01:05 AM
Paralyzer
Tier 13428 Oiler Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post

Key to getting Cogliano going: Break his shins and then he'll play 100% better I are smrt

Paralyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 01:07 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennertrate View Post
If Nilsson can bring his skill for every game, then I would be very happy.

Anyone have a YouTube video of Nilsson supposedly laying a big hit last game (Florida)? The TSN highlights only shows his Jedi skills when he made two Panthers collide with each other which was pretty damn sweet.
I wouldn't say it was a "big hit" but he put Weiss on his ass along the boards.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 01:10 AM
Philly85
Moody'

Personally I'm of the opinion that Robert Nilsson is a lost cause, little to no hope left for him. Would be great if he could turn his career around for his own sake, because one thing I won't deny is the guy has ALL the tools to be a successful, good player in this league.

When he wants to play, has his head in the game, the guy can bring it. In other words he's got game, but that's what's so frustrating, you rarely see it anymore. It's his 5th season in the NHL now, if he's not going to get it soon, I don't think he ever will.

Been a nice mini-streak of games, with emphasis on "mini". Seen it all before, expecting him to fall off the map any game now, for an extended period. I guess we'll see if he has the cahones to keep battling and show his worth. Perfect opportunity, but not getting my hopes up.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 01:55 AM
Shizuka

Until Nilsson puts it together consistently for an entire season, I don't think you can get too excited. At this point, I have to wonder how much patience is left amongst management for this guy, in spite of the wonderful puck skills.

It leaves me to wonder who most people would choose though, him or Comrie.

Shizuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 04:55 AM
cheesed-off*

Quote:
I think that's the problem though. The only time Pouliot uses his size is when he's getting plowed into the boards. I've never seen a guy get wailed on in the same manner trying to cut around the defenseman like Pouliot does.

I hope Potulny stays. It's a sort of feel good story, because he's worked through the minors for years now and he seems like a smart player. I never notice Potulny play a "bad" game, and I don't think I can say that for the majority of the players.

Keep in mind though, I've missed a couple games this year.

Those two games you missed - I assure you he was most broootale.

About Rowbear, I said on the main board that it seems he is becoming slicker and slicker all the time - with that Detroit goal, and now with the near miss, causing two opposing players to collide.

cheesed-off* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 07:03 AM
hemskysuncle

the thing that sticks with me is that he has not just played "well" but he has been noticeable in every game since coming back. again, i am with the "wait and see" crowd as he has a habit of flash (wow he is great) and dash (what happened to him?)

hemskysuncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 12:08 PM
Master Lok

Oh please. Maybe we should wait 10 games before we put up a Nilsson Appreciation Thread. How many times have we seen this guy wilt and disappear before?

Master Lok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 12:24 PM
theranfordflop

I dunno. I think he's just playing a little better than before. But you could say the same thing about a lot of Oilers.

Nilsson needs to be more if he wants to stay in the lineup. He needs to be smarter. Right now he's playing a more aggressive game, and showing more skill, but he's not showing better hockey sense on a consistent basis.

I believe he'll get there, but I really hope he gets there soon, because if not, it might be for another team.

theranfordflop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 12:27 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post
Oh please. Maybe we should wait 10 games before we put up a Nilsson Appreciation Thread. How many times have we seen this guy wilt and disappear before?
I agree if his stock is increasing right now. the Oil need to get on the phone and unload this dude. I like how he has returned. But I would get something for him now while we can.

This is how I remember Nilsson in the later half of the '07-'08 season. But I am not convinced the kid can compete at this level over an entire 82 game season.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 12:48 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:

Easy. The next guy that goes on the injury list.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 12:51 PM
0ilerman
The King

I've been a big Nilsson fan but we should all know that his MO is inconsistency. I'll give him a ton of credit for his play over the last week, but he's still proven nothing at the NHL level IMO. Keep it up for a few months and then I'll be impressed.

0ilerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 12:53 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Maybe Quinn's heart to heart with him before his concussion did some good? I've been pleased with his play, although once again I have to ask how long it will last? As for when Pouliot comes back, I won't be very popular here but IMO he replaces Potulny if there are no other spots open.

I believe it was from a leftover coaches manual from last year. Chapter 3, section 4, titled " The MacT Riot Act regarding Bobby Nilsson, subsection 12". A very tattered page, indeed.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 12:59 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Why would you mess with what Potulny has going on right now? He has proven more in his games this season than Pouliot has over parts of 3 seasons with the Oilers. Time to part ways with Pouliot if it means he is replacing someone useful in the line up.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote