HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Robert Nilsson stepping it up.

Old
12-09-2009, 01:03 PM
Red Deer Rebel

vCash: 500
Nilsson should be kept around given that he will still be an RFA at the end of his current contract. Given how salaries are dropping, we may be able to extend him for 2 or 3 years in the $1.25 to $1.5 range. He has little negotiating power here, and not much of a case to take to arbitration (unless he starts putting up the numbers). I also get the impression he likes it here, and may take a discount to stay.

Nilsson is capable of putting up 50 points. As a veteran, he will only get better. After all, even though he is having a bad season offensively, he is still keeping pace with Comrie, O'Sullivan, Horcoff, and Potulny, and is blowing the doors off players like Pisani, Moreau, and Cogliano.

Red Deer Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 02:42 PM
Shibumi

One can only hope as Robert gets older he can put up half the numbers his Dad did for Winnipeg, Atlanta, and Calgary. I hope he is just a late bloomer.

Shibumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 02:43 PM
Little Fury

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaBargnani View Post
Guys put on some really gritty performances the past little while. He's made some nice offensive plays though I get the sense that he hasn't gained all his confidence back because I think he can do a lot more in the offensive role he's been put in. He's 24 years old and about to turn 25 and he looks pretty physically built for 5'11. I think we're seeing this guy mature as player through all this time maybe like Penner and Smid. I don't know if he'll keep this up but if he does he'll prove all this waiver-wire talk to be absolute nonsense. Personally I think Bobby Nilsson 2.0 is here to stay.
I hope so. Perfect candidate for a pump'n'dump.

Little Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 02:51 PM
Ragss

I can see this going the way of schremp...all of us sitting around holding our breaths hoping he can realize his potential.

Ragss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 02:59 PM
Joe Hallenback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragss View Post
I can see this going the way of schremp...all of us sitting around holding our breaths hoping he can realize his potential.
Except Robert can skate

Its his will to compete shift after shift and game after game that is a problem

These last 3 games playing with 2 guys who work their assess off every shift of every game like they could die if they don't seems to be working for Robert.

He has all the skilla and talent in the world if can combine that with a will to win he will be worth the wait

Joe Hallenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 03:01 PM
Super Berg

isn't this thread a little premature? he's been good for all of what...5 games or so?

I used to be a supporter, now I am a doubter. His 40 pts season was suppose to be a stepping stone. Now it looks like it could possibly be his peak.

I am kind of sick of these "have all the skill in the world, but his head is not in the game" kind of guys.

If Nilsson gets back to his old inconsistent ways then he can go the way of Jason Bonsignore and Alexander Daigle and become an afterthought for all i care.

Super Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 03:28 PM
Jet
Chevel-takesadayoff

vCash: 50
I have bought into the Robert Nilsson is the next coming of Jeebus more than once. I think I am with the majority here: cautiously optimistic. I sure hope he does realize his potential, because with Gagner and O'Sullivan being offensive (and defensive) black holes right now, we need someone to step up.

It all does raise the very good question here... who sits when Pouliot and Comrie draw in?

Personally, I hope that Pouliot is part of the subject matter for the much rumored trade between the Oil and Habs. We have culled a bunch of these fringe NHL'ers and we're finally starting to see which ones are going to hopefully stick.

Having an extra capable forward around is a really good thing IMO. You can sit whoever isn't perfoming... a good motivational tool. I know right now I wouldn't mind Gagner sitting for a game or two.

Jet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 06:34 PM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
Personally I'm of the opinion that Robert Nilsson is a lost cause, little to no hope left for him. Would be great if he could turn his career around for his own sake, because one thing I won't deny is the guy has ALL the tools to be a successful, good player in this league.

When he wants to play, has his head in the game, the guy can bring it. In other words he's got game, but that's what's so frustrating, you rarely see it anymore. It's his 5th season in the NHL now, if he's not going to get it soon, I don't think he ever will.

Been a nice mini-streak of games, with emphasis on "mini". Seen it all before, expecting him to fall off the map any game now, for an extended period. I guess we'll see if he has the cahones to keep battling and show his worth. Perfect opportunity, but not getting my hopes up.
Guys in his mid 20s now. He's in that time of his life where he has to be more of a man in life and he has to mature. Maybe he's bringing those same things to the ice. He's certainly played a really veteran style his past couple of nights. Better all around play that I've ever seen from him.

EDIT: People making the Schremp comparisons don't really know what they are talking about. You look at this guy play and just his body type he is physically way bigger than Schremp and is also a way better skater and arguably even more skilled.

As for Pouliot:
Jacques-Pouliot-Stortini
Moreau-Cogliano-Stone

Obviously Pouliot would be on a short leash but I really think he can be the answer on the 3rd line. I know he doesn't get a lot of respect from oiler fans but neither did a lot of guys(Jaques, Stortini, Stone[to slow they said in preseason]) And I've seen some good signs from this guy in the past.

EDIT:Oh BTW, the oilers can't ask Nilsson to take a paycut. He's an rfa at the end of his contract. For him to take a paycut they can't give him a qualifying offer and have to let him become a ufa and then resign otherwise it has to be a 10% raise. It's in the cba.

Last edited by Tavaresmagicalplay*: 12-09-2009 at 06:58 PM.
Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 09:32 AM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

Well I thought it would be okay to bump this since the guy got his first game in the top six and you know what? Even though he didn't record a point, I think he played his best game this year. The guy is for real. He's really matured as a player. He knows where he is in his career and is showing he has what it takes to be a top six forward in the nhl. Whether it's in edmonton or not I wish this guy the best.

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 11:39 AM
Master Lok

Quote:
Well I thought it would be okay to bump this since the guy got his first game in the top six and you know what? Even though he didn't record a point, I think he played his best game this year. The guy is for real. He's really matured as a player. He knows where he is in his career and is showing he has what it takes to be a top six forward in the nhl. Whether it's in edmonton or not I wish this guy the best.
Again, it's only what six games? It's like BBO's love for Schremp all over again. Let' see how he performs for 20 games before we declare this guy as "really matured as a player" or "showing what it takes to be a top six forward in the NHL.".

In fact, in view of his consistent inconsistent level, we should probably wait at least 40 games before we start making rash declarations.

Master Lok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 11:45 AM
theranfordflop

Quote:
Ya agreed, last night Nilsson played about as well as I've seen him play. Ever.

Buuuuut... He's still got old Nilsson in him. Fake shot, pass. Fake shot, pass. Fake shot, pass. He's got to get all the way out of that mindset. That fake shot isn't fooling anybody.

theranfordflop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 11:45 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post
Again, it's only what six games? It's like BBO's love for Schremp all over again. Let' see how he performs for 20 games before we declare this guy as "really matured as a player" or "showing what it takes to be a top six forward in the NHL.".

In fact, in view of his consistent inconsistent level, we should probably wait at least 40 games before we start making rash declarations.
Yep pretty much. I think I heard something like Schremp is for real. He was even and had an assist in NYI 7-1 loss the other night. Big friggen whoop.

If other teams have interest in Nilsson ship him out and get something fro him asap.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote