HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Wings at the trade deadline

Old
12-10-2009, 01:55 PM
solo16

vCash: 728
It is hard to say Leino has any trade value. Sad but true.

solo16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 01:55 PM
CC Chiefs*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro View Post
He has always wanted to become a dentist. That is an option for him.
Dentist, fireman, floor sweeper or a doorman, I don't care as long it's not a hockey player on the DRW.

CC Chiefs* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 01:59 PM
solo16

Its a problem when Kris Draper has 2x as many points as your top six forward.

Old
12-10-2009, 02:22 PM
Kiddington
heehats

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo16 View Post
It is hard to say Leino has any trade value. Sad but true.
Not really. A lot of times, a GM will take on a "project player" of sorts, based on potential alone. Look at how many times a guy like Brandon Bochenski has made his way around the block.

I guarantee you that if the Wings made it known Leino was available, someone would be interested, especially this early in his career (this is only his rookie season, mind you). After all, he was the SM-Liiga MVP; I'm sure that has to account for something.

That being said, I don't see Leino being moved... yet. The Wings will ride this one out until the end of the season. If he doesn't improve by that point, then he'll be gone.

Kiddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 02:29 PM
solo16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvobodaMT View Post
Not really. A lot of times, a GM will take on a "project player" of sorts, based on potential alone. Look at how many times a guy like Brandon Bochenski has made his way around the block.

I guarantee you that if the Wings made it known Leino was available, someone would be interested, especially this early in his career (this is only his rookie season, mind you). After all, he was the SM-Liiga MVP; I'm sure that has to account for something.

That being said, I don't see Leino being moved... yet. The Wings will ride this one out until the end of the season. If he doesn't improve by that point, then he'll be gone.
Interested off waivers maybe... Trade value nope.

He has talent, but lacks the speed, body or motivation to be a valuable trade asset.

Id be shocked if we got a 5th round pick for him. If he showed he had the motivation and productivity again he might have value... but then we would not want to trade him. Hence my point.

Old
12-11-2009, 04:39 PM
detredWINgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvobodaMT View Post

Bochenski put up 13 points in 20 games at 25 before being traded, and then at 24 he put up 24 points in 41 games. Those are respectable stats for youngsters in a small role. He also destroyed the AHL in his earlier years.

Leino is 26 years old. Thats old to be "developing." Also - and this is what will deter GMs - he's been getting 14 minutes per night and 2 minutes per on the powerplay. In other words, Leino is being given a chance already. The primary reason GMs take on "project" players is because they want to explore the possibilities of a certain player in a bigger role. Leino is already being used in 2nd and 3rd line roles, and hes done nothing. He also doesn't have the size, speed, or defensive awareness for a GM to think "hey! maybe hes just not a skilled guy, and is really meant to be a grinder" a la Tuomo Ruutu and Andrew Ladd.

There is zero market for Leino as anything more than a throw in along with a pick for a UFA at the deadline, and at that point, its smarter just to hold onto him and his diminutive salary and see if The Brass can give him another chance while we're still "transitioning."

detredWINgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 04:48 PM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

Move Bertuzzi and Williams for 3rd or 4th round picks at the deadline, Kenny. Do it.

Keep Abby and Miller up in their place. We take a low finish for this season (probably 12th overall pick) and then come back strong next season without losing any pieces.

You can't fight lady luck, and the team needs a rest. Time to reload.

Last edited by Guru Meditation: 12-11-2009 at 04:56 PM.
Guru Meditation is offline   Reply With Quote