HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Make 2 moves to fix the Blue Jackets

Old
12-14-2009, 08:14 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Make 2 moves to fix the Blue Jackets

You're the GM for a day, and ownership has allowed you to make two moves to improve the team. This includes callups/demotions, trades, coaching changes, anything you want. You're also allowed to add payroll as long as we still fit under the cap.

Here's what I'd do.

1. Fire Hitchcock, hire Dineen or another young stud coach waiting for a chance like Dan Bylesma was. Clean out the assistants, the new coach will be allowed to decide what assistants he wants. I respect Hitchcock's career as a whole but it's clear to me that he doesn't have it anymore. Not necessarily all Hitch's fault but you cannot fire 23 players.

2. Trade Filatov + a pick or a prospect for an elite defensman. My personal choice would be Kaberle, he's been on the block for about a year now and we'd have to hope Burke would take a Russian player.

That's my 2 moves to try to get the Jackets into the playoffs this season.

What would you do to fix this team?

Timeless Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 08:23 PM
countthecashricknash

vCash: 500
I agree with both your choices. But is it too late to trade for Brad Richards?

countthecashricknash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 08:28 PM
Ludicrous Speed

agreed on both. not sure if Filatov + a prospect would pry Kabs though. But yeah I'd trade Filatov and Methot for a top 15-20 defenseman if it could happen.

Ludicrous Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 08:35 PM
punk_o_holic

I agree with both of your moves. Is Kaberle the only realistic elite defensemen that is available though? I can't think of anyone else. Also he has a NTC right? Would he waive it to come to Columbus. Another player I would go after is Souray or Visnovsky. I think Visnovsky is the better player of the two but Souray brings leadership. Souray has a NTC though and supposely the Oilers said they would honour Visnovsky's NTC although they could go back on there word. With the Oilers winning again neither would be traded now but there was a report saying the OIlers were trying to dump Souray's contract. Would it be worth it to trade Filatov for a shutdown defensemen?

Also for the coach, I am a fan of Scott Arniel. He is the Head Coach for the Manitoba Moose, the AHL team of the Canucks. Also last years coach of the year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
You're the GM for a day, and ownership has allowed you to make two moves to improve the team. This includes callups/demotions, trades, coaching changes, anything you want. You're also allowed to add payroll as long as we still fit under the cap.

Here's what I'd do.

1. Fire Hitchcock, hire Dineen or another young stud coach waiting for a chance like Dan Bylesma was. Clean out the assistants, the new coach will be allowed to decide what assistants he wants. I respect Hitchcock's career as a whole but it's clear to me that he doesn't have it anymore. Not necessarily all Hitch's fault but you cannot fire 23 players.

2. Trade Filatov + a pick or a prospect for an elite defensman. My personal choice would be Kaberle, he's been on the block for about a year now and we'd have to hope Burke would take a Russian player.

punk_o_holic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 08:45 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

1) trade juice....picks, bag of pucks, prospects....don't care...too soft and never noticable

2) send filatov + (methot, commie, ?) for a defenseman...blow this team up...I'm not ready to fire hitch, but geting close...

Fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 08:49 PM
punk_o_holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fro View Post
1) trade juice....picks, bag of pucks, prospects....don't care...too soft and never noticable

2) send filatov + (methot, commie, ?) for a defenseman...blow this team up...I'm not ready to fire hitch, but geting close...
Would anyone touch the contracts of Huselius and Commordore? I would guess another big contract would have to come back to Columbus.

punk_o_holic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 08:58 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by punk_o_holic View Post
Would anyone touch the contracts of Huselius and Commordore? I would guess another big contract would have to come back to Columbus.
true...just sooooooo frustrated with those two and their constant mailing it in

Fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 09:09 PM
Happy Pony

1. Move the team to Canada.
2. ?????????????
3. Profit.

Happy Pony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 09:17 PM
Doug19

If I had to choose it would be send:
1) Filatov-Methot/Russell-Pick for an upper echelon defender
2) Fire Hitchcock (I am now on this train, to this date I haven't said a bad word about him but tonight has changed my mind.)

Doug19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 09:20 PM
Ludicrous Speed

Quote:
If we could get anything...ANYTHING for Juice I would give Howson's wife a big fat kiss.

Ludicrous Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 09:24 PM
skimp

1. Build a time machine, go back in time, smack Doug upside the head, and make him go through with that roster swap with Detroit.

2. Change the team name so we don't have to listen to idiot fans of other teams referring to us as "the BJ's" because they think they're being clever.

skimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 09:28 PM
EdwardG
North!

Do not trade away long term talent (yes, the kid) for the short-term goal of making the playoffs this year. If this team was a player away from being a cup contender, that's another story, but no dumb trades that sacrifice the future so we can sneak into the playoffs.

This team needs talent. It needs 2 d-men, it needs offensive talent, and it needs a leader. I don't think there are two moves that can be done to "fix" things, unless by fix we mean "sneaking into the playoffs."

EdwardG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 09:29 PM
Pluckfur

Quote:

Here's what I'd do.

Why don't we just ignore the extraneous crap and cut to the chase? If you think Dan Bylsma comes to our roster and cranks out a Cup victory you're delusional. Since I know very well that you aren't delusional (or stupid) Winter ... you're going to have to start with some truth telling: this team is weak, of mediocre skill, and NO guts. Bylsma is the luckiest coach in the history of NHL sport. He won the right to coach a team with Crosby, Malkin, Stall down the middle ... guys like Guerin, Kunitz, and "a cast of others" who are willing to play a power game.

Fire Hitch, or don't. Trade Filatov, or don't. Make any changes you feel are meritorious - but don't pretend any changes this ownership group/ management will be willing to make are going to "fix" this team because they won't. It's going to be a lengthy journey for the Jackets.

That being said - the journey has to start sometime, and I don't think "patience" is going to serve the team well. Patience would be a good answer if I believed in this roster ... I don't believe.

Pluckfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 09:29 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Dion Phaneuf?

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 09:32 PM
jktsfan*

1) Fire every coach we have and replace with Dineen and his selects (just as OP said)

2) Bring Filatov back (nobody will trade for him right now anyway)

I know my #2 sucks but I can't think of anything better to do (this is why I am not a coach)

jktsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 09:38 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluckfur View Post
Why don't we just ignore the extraneous crap and cut to the chase? If you think Dan Bylsma comes to our roster and cranks out a Cup victory you're delusional. Since I know very well that you aren't delusional (or stupid) Winter ... you're going to have to start with some truth telling: this team is weak, of mediocre skill, and NO guts. Bylsma is the luckiest coach in the history of NHL sport. He won the right to coach a team with Crosby, Malkin, Stall down the middle ... guys like Guerin, Kunitz, and "a cast of others" who are willing to play a power game.

Fire Hitch, or don't. Trade Filatov, or don't. Make any changes you feel are meritorious - but don't pretend any changes this ownership group/ management will be willing to make are going to "fix" this team because they won't. It's going to be a lengthy journey for the Jackets.

That being said - the journey has to start sometime, and I don't think "patience" is going to serve the team well. Patience would be a good answer if I believed in this roster ... I don't believe.
Good points(as usual). I didn't exactly mean a Bylsma clone, although Therrien's Pens were horrible last season before he was fired, it couldn't have all been Gonchar coming back (or could it?). I just meant a great AHL coach or another young gun waiting for his chance to prove himself. Yes Bylsma was lucky, but he had to put in some work too. If Dineen's not the right guy, who do you suggest??

I agree on the "no guts" part, but on the skill level I don't know. There's the ones that think we're not skilled so it can't be Hitch's fault, and the ones that think we're very skilled and Hitch should have us at a much better record, I'm with the latter.
I think this team is(or was) good enough to compete for the 4/5/6 spots in the West. (crazy, I know).

Timeless Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 09:47 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Good points(as usual). I didn't exactly mean a Bylsma clone, although Therrien's Pens were horrible last season before he was fired, it couldn't have all been Gonchar coming back (or could it?). I just meant a great AHL coach or another young gun waiting for his chance to prove himself. Yes Bylsma was lucky, but he had to put in some work too. If Dineen's not the right guy, who do you suggest??

I agree on the "no guts" part, but on the skill level I don't know. There's the ones that think we're not skilled so it can't be Hitch's fault, and the ones that think we're very skilled and Hitch should have us at a much better record, I'm with the latter.
I think this team is(or was) good enough to compete for the 4/5/6 spots in the West. (crazy, I know).
I think this team peaks at 6th in the Conference with the right coach, so there's still work to be done, but we're not horrible. I mean, are we really less-talented than Nashville? They certainly are better on defense, but we are deeper at forward. No reason the right coach couldn't get these guys back to the playoffs. Stanley Cup? Not likely.

Even after we fire Hitch, we're going to have to fix our defense. I don't know what Howson was thinking with these contract extensions. And I strongly favor getting rid of Huselius. Enough of the stubbornness, get a real enforcer. Still wouldn't be opposed to getting a bona fide #1 center if the right deal was available. All of these things don't have to be done overnight though.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 09:50 PM
Pluckfur

Quote:

Olczyk came before Therrien.

Well, yes, I realize other parrots...er, sorry "posters" think this team is the "deepest and most skilled CBJ roster ever." I do, and have stated consistently over the past two seasons, that I find this notion completely laughable. I think the team was better before Howson got started - had we merely kept what we had and let the youngsters develop at their own pace within a team that had true leadership and veteran "smarts" ... We wouldn't be having this conversation now. Skill doesn't score goals or win games on it's merit alone. Never has, never will.

Old
12-14-2009, 09:51 PM
koeltrain

What happened in Columbus? I thought you were icing a very similar line-up to last year. I did not think Mason would get 10 shutouts again this year, but what changed for the defense? Has Hejda been injured, or taken a step back in his play? I was a fan of his when he played for the Oilers and have only heard good things since. Also, is Commodore playing soft this year? They seemed to be a formidable shutdown pairing (at least I think they were paired).

I really doubt Souray or Visnovsky are available. Even a lot of fans would trade Gilbert, but a team does not give up on a player they signed long term because of 30 games. He is picking up his play as of late too. A guy the fans love is Grebeshkov, but maybe the team does not think they can afford him with Gagner and Cogliano looking for new contracts. Grebs only signed a one year contract as well, so management might not think he will be committed to the team long term. Our recent success has been without Grebs as well, so something to note. Would CLB's fans be interested in Grebeshkov?

koeltrain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 09:55 PM
Pluckfur

Quote:
Originally Posted by koeltrain View Post
What happened in Columbus? I thought you were icing a very similar line-up to last year. I did not think Mason would get 10 shutouts again this year, but what changed for the defense? Has Hejda been injured, or taken a step back in his play? I was a fan of his when he played for the Oilers and have only heard good things since. Also, is Commodore playing soft this year? They seemed to be a formidable shutdown pairing (at least I think they were paired).

I really doubt Souray or Visnovsky are available. Even a lot of fans would trade Gilbert, but a team does not give up on a player they signed long term because of 30 games. He is picking up his play as of late too. A guy the fans love is Grebeshkov, but maybe the team does not think they can afford him with Gagner and Cogliano looking for new contracts. Grebs only signed a one year contract as well, so management might not think he will be committed to the team long term. Our recent success has been without Grebs as well, so something to note. Would CLB's fans be interested in Grebeshkov?
I don't want to see another Oiler in Columbus ... EVER.

Old
12-14-2009, 10:08 PM
koeltrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluckfur View Post
I don't want to see another Oiler in Columbus ... EVER.
So does that mean Hejda is sucking? Want to give a little more insight there...?

koeltrain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 10:17 PM
Feicht

Send a message via AIM to Feicht
I dunno, I think if we got rid of Hitchcock, trading Filatov would be kind of silly.

Feicht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 10:28 PM
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."

I'm not educated enough in the inner workings of coaching & hockey management to be able to justify saying "Fire Hitch", nor am I one to say "Fire Hitch" just to do it, nor can I name a worthwhile replacement candidate. So I'll leave that bit to CBJ management.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fro View Post

I have to disagree with the concept of trading Juice for picks & prospects. Somebody else brought it up in the chat recently. That would be Sergei Fedorov for Ted Ruth again. That trade reeked of "Here, freakin' take him".

The only way Juice moves is if you can get a player/players that can equal the level of point production that he puts up. Hate him or love him, he's 4th on our team in scoring and has 24 points in 29 games. Trade him for Bobby Maypanoutormaynot & a 1st in 2012 & I'll become a Preds fan out of spite.

Quote:
Hejda and Commodore have both been hurt. Commie missed the first bit of the season & came in out of shape. When they've both been in the lineup, they've rarely made up the shutdown pair that they did last year, at least until recently.

CBJSprague24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 10:33 PM
Pluckfur

Quote:
So does that mean Hejda is sucking? Want to give a little more insight there...?
heh. sorry. actually, IMO, ex-Oilers hejda and torres have been the least of the Jacket's problems. I'd have to say Hejda hasn't been as strongly consistent and error-free as he was last season ... but this probably the fault of the team play and not hejda's individual play. It's hard to soar like an eagle ... blah blah blah.

I really wish Howson displayed as solid a knowledge of players outside the Oiler organization as he does of players inside the Oil. Howson's really not got any sort of big picture "vision thing" ... but he's one hell of a little bean counter. You betcha.

Old
12-14-2009, 10:34 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Thug

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:
Honestly, he has recently. A lot of that is to blame on the injury and having Commodore as a D-Partner, but I'm starting to get worried. Thank god people have toned down the "Most Underrate Player EVAR" stuff, or I'd say he's overrated.