HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Madden reflects

Old
12-09-2009, 06:50 PM
Tao Jones

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Devil View Post
You shouldn't. MacLean was New Jersey for a long time, he scored arguably the biggest goal in Devils history, and he is still to this day our #1 goal scorer, although Elias should eventually pass him.
MacLean was no more New Jersey than Daneyko and Driver. They all did what they were supposed to do.

We obviously value different aspects of the game and player character.

Sorry, Madden's role in 2000 and 2003 Cup runs trump the first playoff-clinching goal (really, anybody could have scored it, it just happened on his shift, he be beat Darren Pang), longevity (if he was a better scorer he would have been traded before the Lou era) and MacLean's role in the 1995 Cup run. And as far as I know Madden never refused to suit up for a game or demand a trade.

And I bet Scott Stevens would agree with me as he suggested Madden was future captain material. I thought Madden should have been captain after Niedermayer left.

Hypothetically, how would Elias and the Devils have fared if he had never been named captain?

Tao Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 07:02 PM
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
I'm forked

vCash: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Devil View Post
You shouldn't. MacLean was New Jersey for a long time, he scored arguably the biggest goal in Devils history, and he is still to this day our #1 goal scorer, although Elias should eventually pass him.
A goal to make the playoffs the biggest in history? I'm sorry, but firsts don't displace true significance like Arnott's cup winner in Dallas. That was the most biggest goal in Devils history imho.

Ball pits are just toilets filled with brightly colored balls instead of water.
Richer's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 07:04 PM
Tao Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richer's Ghost View Post
A goal to make the playoffs the biggest in history? I'm sorry, but firsts don't displace true significance like Arnott's cup winner in Dallas. That was the most biggest goal in Devils history imho.
That goal ended five years of being the half-Cup fluke.

Tao Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 07:56 PM
SixStringAddict

Maddog shouldn't get retired but I fully support/hope they honor him during one of the games. Him and Sarge.

SixStringAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 11:16 PM
Darius Dangleaitis
Padowan Kovalchuk

Enough with the "no one should take his number" business. It's not a shot at the player and in no way is it disrespectful.

Darius Dangleaitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 11:28 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
I agree. There is no reason Madden's number should be retired. As a long time Devil, he should have a spot in a "ring of honour" or whatever we come up with. But his number is not sacred. I have no problem whatsoever with McAmmond taking it. And I have no problem seeing Bergfors in #18 only a few years after Brylin left.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 03:36 AM
britdevil
Tea with milk...

I try not to think about Mad Dog. When I do I miss him. Like Sarge.

Now I miss them both.

britdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 06:34 AM
Henry Killinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulytits View Post
mad dog rules. i remember seeing the picture of him in this really old car(maybe like 50's or something) with the cup next to him. anyone have it?

This one?

Sorry, this is the biggest version I could find.

Henry Killinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 09:32 AM
HBK27

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauDevils View Post
In a way I resent Lou a little for giving Mcammond #11.

I'm not sure if I want his number retired, but either way it was just to soon.
It's a little odd seeing #11 out there again so soon, but that's how Lou rolls. I think it's a lot harder for fans to get used to though than the team. Seems like it almost sends a message to the other players that they just need to move on and go with who they have, which the boys have done a great job with this season considering all the injuries.

Glad to see Mad Dog is doing well with Chicago, one of my favorite teams out west. Sucks to see him go, but it was the best decision for him & the team. Fortunately Niedermayer & McAmmond have been good finds and have been able to take on some of his responsibilities since it seems clear (this season at least) that Pelley's not quite up to it.

Hopefully the Devils finally get going on their Hall of Fame, since Mad Dog deserves to be recognized there. Also, has anyone noticed if they've updated the player images on the main concourse - I've been meaning to check that out next time I'm at a game, but I've noticed during some of the telecasts that Petr Vrana's image is still up there.

HBK27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 09:41 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

People keep mentioning that there should be a ring of honour (or a similar concept) for players like Madden, Pandolfo, Brylin and MacLean who won't get their jerseys retired, but deserve acknowledgment as long-time Devils. Does anyone know if the team actually has plans to implement this, or is it just a pipe dream?

Old
12-10-2009, 10:40 AM
Devils Mike*

Send a message via MSN to Devils Mike*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
People keep mentioning that there should be a ring of honour (or a similar concept) for players like Madden, Pandolfo, Brylin and MacLean who won't get their jerseys retired, but deserve acknowledgment as long-time Devils. Does anyone know if the team actually has plans to implement this, or is it just a pipe dream?
I hope it happens, especially to a guy like Pando, he's in the top 10 in the amount of years played on the team and he's been really loyal to this organization in general. His recent years here have been bad but it sucks that he'll end with a bad note if nothing happens this season. Everyone loved pando his selke year, but besides that he was always one of those people that had a great contract for what he was worth.

Devils Mike* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 12:21 PM
CMac17
Scaaaaaaar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggy Spandex View Post
He almost singlehandedly tore the ref to shreds during game 4
Oh you mean when he obviously was "upset that there was no call for interference" That was awesome.

John's a perfect example of how this system scouts, molds, and breeds LEADERS. Lou instills leadership and the team can recognize leadership qualities in players. I'd be willing to bet that with John, not much work needed to be done!

CMac17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 02:27 PM
Harrison Ford

Quote:
My favourite is the picture of him with stitches under his eye and a grizzly beard, settling in to take a faceoff.

This picture is the definition of playoff hockey. From the black eye to the Devils logo, this is what I think when I hear playoff hockey. It was time for a change. Madden was one of my favorite players and still is. I'll always root for him except against us.

Harrison Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 02:42 PM
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tao Jones View Post
No, he doesn't.

Neither does MacLean, and some around here disagree.

I'll remember what Madden did for New Jersey more than MacLean.
I have no idea how old you are or how long you've been a fan....but that is just bordering on the insane...

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 02:45 PM
DatBoyJPP
Good Night

Quote:
I want to say the Leafs do it but I'm not positive.

DatBoyJPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 02:52 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PariseforPresident View Post
I want to say the Leafs do it but I'm not positive.
No I meant our team. I know the Leafs do it, I'm just wondering if the Devils are planning to do something like this to honour players that didn't do enough to get their number retired, but still need to be acknowledged for their contributions.

Old
12-10-2009, 03:04 PM
dsarch

Quote:

i think for now it's just something that a lot of fans (at least on here) want to happen. as i've said before, it'd go perfect with that jersey collection we have. they should dump that cigar stand and put something there.

dsarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 04:38 PM
brule2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tao Jones View Post
That goal ended five years of being the half-Cup fluke.
And MacLean's ended 6 years of being the no playoff games whatsoever losers. You almost got it right when you suggested he was on a par with Daneyko and Driver (one has his number retired, the other doesn't, MacLean could go either way). But for a long time Daneyko was a regularly derided borderline player. MacLean was a top three player for the team for nearly a decade and their best for three or more years at the turn of the '90s until the knee injury. Madden was never the team's best player for more than a couple of 20 game stretches. MacLean scored 128 goals in 232 games from 1988 to the injury in '91 and a further 16 in the team's first 33 playoff games, again before the knee blowout.

Madden was an excellent player for a strong team whose style suited him down to the ground. MacLean was outstanding on good teams and bad and he took the journey with the team; didn't have the luxury of parachuting onto a winner, that's why he means more to me (even though Madden will always be iconic too; an outstanding second tier player on a team that finds its strength in just that type of player.)

brule2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 04:39 PM
brule2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsarch View Post
i think for now it's just something that a lot of fans (at least on here) want to happen. as i've said before, it'd go perfect with that jersey collection we have. they should dump that cigar stand and put something there.
Maybe the Zdeno Ciger stand for unsung Devils contributors.

brule2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 04:48 PM
åboriginal
lou ****ing sucks

Send a message via MSN to åboriginal
madden was awesome, but im glad hes gone. next up, pando.

åboriginal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 05:31 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
Originally Posted by åboriginal View Post
madden was awesome, but im glad hes gone. next up, pando.
Does Lowell still need a new captain?

Old
12-10-2009, 05:37 PM
paulytits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Killinger View Post
This one?

Sorry, this is the biggest version I could find.
hahaha thats the one. god i love that picture

paulytits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 07:04 PM
Lemurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseydevil View Post
I have no idea how old you are or how long you've been a fan....but that is just bordering on the insane...
Agreed. I understand where some of the younger fans are coming from there...If you only knew of MacLean from 95 onwards, his numbers are just that...numbers. If you were a Devils fan in the 80's however, he was an epic hero who you felt the team could build around with a few more pieces...and that is in fact what they did. He was clutch in a way that no other Devil was clutch, all by himself. He was a thorn in the Rangers sides...he WAS the Devils. Madden was a core guy and part of the identity of a team that was defined by so many others (Stevens, Brodeur, Daneyko, even Niedermayer)...he was not remotely what MacLean was for many years.

Lemurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 07:06 PM
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
I'm forked

vCash: 425
Cup Win < Playoff Berth.

haha whatevs...

Richer's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 03:41 AM