HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Bernie Parent as a Bruin?

Old
12-21-2009, 06:00 PM
reckoning

vCash: 500
Bernie Parent as a Bruin?

Bernie Parent played in 57 games total with the Boston Bruins over the '65-'66 and '66-'67 seasons. His numbers for those seasons seem fairly underwhelming, but probably more of a reflection on how bad the team was than his actual play. In the summer of '67, he was claimed by the Philadelphia Flyers in the Expansion Draft.

I'm not old enough to have seen him back then, so I'm looking for the opinions of those who were. In those two years with Boston, was there any hint in Parent's play that indicated how great he would become? Did his style closely resemble the way he tended net during the Flyer Cup years, or did he make a significant change in Philly? Did any Bruin fans feel that he may have had a more promising future than Cheevers or Johnston, considering he was still quite young at the time?

reckoning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2009, 10:11 PM
Canadiens1958

Bernie Parent

Quote:
Originally Posted by reckoning View Post
Bernie Parent played in 57 games total with the Boston Bruins over the '65-'66 and '66-'67 seasons. His numbers for those seasons seem fairly underwhelming, but probably more of a reflection on how bad the team was than his actual play. In the summer of '67, he was claimed by the Philadelphia Flyers in the Expansion Draft.

I'm not old enough to have seen him back then, so I'm looking for the opinions of those who were. In those two years with Boston, was there any hint in Parent's play that indicated how great he would become? Did his style closely resemble the way he tended net during the Flyer Cup years, or did he make a significant change in Philly? Did any Bruin fans feel that he may have had a more promising future than Cheevers or Johnston, considering he was still quite young at the time?
Bernie Parent was an outstanding goalie in the old MMJHL(Rosemont Bombardiers) before going to Niagara Falls in the OHA. Led an average team to the championship.

His first two years with Boston were a learning experience - bad team, did not know the league and injuries.

His career blossomed after sharing the goaltending with Jacques Plante in Toronto. His style was similar to his MMJHL game but more efficient and polished. Also you should appreciate that the Flyer defense was tailored to Parent's strengths - ability to reduce angles and make the shooter miss.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2009, 10:58 PM
Big Phil

He was an afterthought and considered to be indispensable. Cheevers was already there and a capable backup in Johnston too. So Boston doing that is understandable. But when Toronto let him go it was no excuse. Only the Toronto Maple Leafs could trade a goalie and have him win the Vezina, Cup, and Conn Smythe Trophy a year later

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2009, 11:14 PM
lextune
I'm too old for this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
He was an afterthought and considered to be indispensable. Cheevers was already there and a capable backup in Johnston too. So Boston doing that is understandable. But when Toronto let him go it was no excuse. Only the Toronto Maple Leafs could trade a goalie and have him win the Vezina, Cup, and Conn Smythe Trophy a year later
Cheevers' was the backup to Johnston at the time actually.

lextune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2009, 11:16 PM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
Parent and Dryden let go!

Morris Wanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2009, 11:19 PM
The Leaf

He was unhappy in Toronto, but we should definately tried to appease him. He would have been much better than Palmateer

The Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2009, 11:23 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by lextune View Post
Cheevers' was the backup to Johnston at the time actually.
I'm thinking more along the lines of 1967-'68 when Cheevers got the starter nod for the most part. Either way they had two capable goalies that won them two Cups, they knew that. Goaltending was not the Bruins weakness

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 05:20 AM
Canadiens1958

Strength

Quote:
I'm thinking more along the lines of 1967-'68 when Cheevers got the starter nod for the most part. Either way they had two capable goalies that won them two Cups, they knew that. Goaltending was not the Bruins weakness
Neither was it a strength. Regardless they should have received players for Favell and Parent instead of simply letting them go in the expansion draft.

Both Favell and Parent were prospects that needed experience. The Bruins were not ready to wait especially given that the last six Stanley Cups prior to expansion had been won with older / veteran goalies reversing the trend from the fifties where young goalies, Sawchuk and Plante dominated.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 07:21 AM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
I dunno. I think hockey history in the 70's would be significantly different if the Bruins had found a way to keep Parent and/or Dryden. Cheevers was a very good keeper, but I think the Bruins would have at least 2 more cups. In 71 and 74 the difference was clearly goaltending.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 03:54 PM
GNick42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Papa Joe View Post
I dunno. I think hockey history in the 70's would be significantly different if the Bruins had found a way to keep Parent and/or Dryden. Cheevers was a very good keeper, but I think the Bruins would have at least 2 more cups. In 71 and 74 the difference was clearly goaltending.
It's ironic how things work out...if Montreal never had Dryden chances are they would have kept Tony Esposito. Overall, I don't think there was much difference between the two. However, Tony O did play much longer

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 05:50 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 2497
Here is more info...

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=435666

Quote:
The Bruins were in a transitional phase when Parent joined the organization. There was a lot of promising young talent being brought on board at the time. A few years down the road, Boston would become a powerhouse. But at the time Parent was signed, the Bruins were still the weak sister of the six-team NHL. They had finished last in each of the previous five seasons. Parent was hurried into the Bruins net, immediately laying claim to the starting goalie job.

Parent struggled with his nerves and his confidence, although he gave a reasonable account of himself as a rookie. He ended splitting the games in half with veteran Eddie Johnston. Parent performed marginally better than Johnston. The Bruins finished fifth, with a still anemic 21-43-6 record. The Bruins continued ineptitude cost second year coach Milt Schmidt his job. Harry Sinden then stepped behind the bench.

Despite a communication barrier, Schmidt had taken a shine to Parent. Sinden did not. Sinden soon came to prefer another promising goalie in the system; a future Hall of Famer named Gerry Cheevers. Sinden thought that Parent enjoyed life in the NHL too much and was not nearly focused enough on playing goal.

Parent admitted years later than Sinden may have had some justification to feel as he did, although it was also true that Bernie's inexperience and lack of confidence were being exploited by the other NHL teams.

Parent played much of his sophomore season out of shape. He loved a good meal, he loved his beer and he had even begun to develop a taste for cigars. None of that played well with Sinden, especially when Parent's play in net did not grow in equal proportion to his waistline.

Johnston got the bulk of the playing time in 1966-67, Cheevers became the second goalie and Parent only got into 18 games, winning just 3 times and hearing boos from the Boston Garden crowd. Eventually, Parent was farmed out to Oklahoma City. Meanwhile, the Bruins were still awful, no matter who was in goal. They settled right back in their customary last place home.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 06:24 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNick42 View Post
It's ironic how things work out...if Montreal never had Dryden chances are they would have kept Tony Esposito. Overall, I don't think there was much difference between the two. However, Tony O did play much longer
Dryden was still an after thought when they let Tony O go. They decided to go with Vachon rather than Espo. I don't think they really saw Dryden usurping Vachon just a couple of years later.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 06:33 PM
reckoning

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Thanks for posting that story MSE. Very interesting stuff.

reckoning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 03:41 AM
Blades of Glory
Troll Captain

Parent's two year peak is about as amazingly high a two-year stretch as an individual player can possibly reach.

2 seasons

2 Vezina Trophies
2 First-Team All-Stars
2 Conn Smythe Trophies
2 Stanley Cups

He had a late peak, and a very short one, but my goodness that's a great two seasons.

Blades of Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 06:03 PM
vadim sharifijanov
thanks chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades of Glory View Post
Parent's two year peak is about as amazingly high a two-year stretch as an individual player can possibly reach.

2 seasons

2 Vezina Trophies
2 First-Team All-Stars
2 Conn Smythe Trophies
2 Stanley Cups

He had a late peak, and a very short one, but my goodness that's a great two seasons.
wow, i can't even cherry-pick two consecutive seasons by orr, gretzky, howe, or lemieux as "complete" as those two years by parent. orr's cups weren't consecutive, gretzky never won back to back smythes, howe didn't have an MVP playoffs in the first of his consecutive cup seasons and didn't have an MVP regular season in the second, lemieux missed half the year the first time he won the cup.

that's pretty amazing. is there an old-timer out there with two consecutive retro smythes who also had two MVP regular seasons?

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 08:40 PM
GNick42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Papa Joe View Post
Dryden was still an after thought when they let Tony O go. They decided to go with Vachon rather than Espo. I don't think they really saw Dryden usurping Vachon just a couple of years later.
Yes, you are right on second thought. Habs once had 3 and a close 4th in Vachon, future hall of fame goalies on roster at same time.

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 12:01 PM
cupcrazyman
42 Long

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Leaf View Post
He was unhappy in Toronto, but we should definately tried to appease him. He would have been much better than Palmateer
well he wasn't better than Plante but definately better than Gamble & some guy named Murray McLachan.

Plante 24-11-4 1.88 GAA
Parent 7-7-3 2.65 GAA
Gamble 6-14-1 3.87 GAA
McLaughlin 0-1-0 9.60 GAA

cupcrazyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 01:21 PM
Wetcoaster

Do not forget that Philly traded Parent to the Leafs as the Flyers decided to go with Doug Favell - a great trade for the Leafs as they also got Rick Kehoe - then traded Kehoe to Pittsburgh. Parent was being mentored in Toronto by Jacques Plante and that really helped his game.

And the Flyers subsequently re-acquired him from the Leafs after his one year WHA sojourn. A terrible trade by the Leafs who decided to go with Plante and Ron Low. It turned out to be Parent and Larry Goodenough for Bob Neely and Doug Favell.

Here are Parent's transactions:

Claimed by Philadelphia from Boston in Expansion Draft, June 6, 1967.

Traded to Toronto by Philadelphia with Philadelphia's 2nd round choice (Rick Kehoe) in 1971 Amateur Draft for Bruce Gamble, Mike Walton and Toronto's 1st round choice (Pierre Plante) in 1971 Amateur Draft, February 1, 1971. (The Flyers decided to go with Doug Favell who was playing better than Parent at the time.)

Selected by Miami-Philadelphia (WHA) in WHA General Player Draft, February 12, 1972.

Suspended by Philadelphia (WHA) for leaving team following game vs. Cleveland (WHA), April 4, 1973. Transferred to Vancouver (WHA) after Philadelphia franchise relocated, May, 1973. WHA rights traded to NY Raiders (WHA) by Vancouver (WHA) with the trade of Dan Herriman and Andre Lacroix for Ron Ward and Pete Donnelly, June, 1973.

Traded to Philadelphia by Toronto with Toronto's 2nd round choice (Larry Goodenough) in 1973 Amateur Draft for Philadelphia's 1st round choice (Bob Neely) in 1973 Amateur Draft and future considerations (Doug Favell, July 27, 1973), May 15, 1973.
http://www.legendsofhockey.net/Legen...ds&list=#photo

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote