HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Roman Hamrlik: playing like an angry man

Old
12-10-2009, 02:05 PM
RonFournier

vCash: 500
Roman Hamrlik: playing like an angry man

I don't know if you guys noticed it but since we signed Hamrlik, he's always been in good position to lay big hits along the boards when other team's fowards entered our zone, but 9 times out of 10 he let them skate or dump the puck in the corner, and it always pissed me off.

But since, I'd say 5-6 games, he's been crashing people into the boards every time he had a chance to, and by doing so he indeed contributed greatly to our D (just from what I remember, he destroyed Alfredsson (he really made him pay), Foligno, Richards, Brière and Carter just in the last two games) and he also created many offensive opportunities by annihilating other fowards' chances so much more quickly than he used to.

Add to that his great blocked shots totals and his nice powerplay skills... I hope he keeps playing that way until Markov returns, then we'll be unstoppable.

RonFournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 02:10 PM
benji
Took too much, man.

Send a message via MSN to benji
The Ottawa announcers during the Sens-Habs game were gushing about Hamrlik's play over and over the other night, and with reason. He's been a beast lately, it's kind of a shame a solid guy like that won't ever get the recognition he deserves until he's gone, but at the same time, he seems to have most people's respect, that's just the way he plays.

benji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 02:15 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by benji View Post
The Ottawa announcers during the Sens-Habs game were gushing about Hamrlik's play over and over the other night, and with reason. He's been a beast lately, it's kind of a shame a solid guy like that won't ever get the recognition he deserves until he's gone, but at the same time, he seems to have most people's respect, that's just the way he plays.
On RDS they kept talking about how great Chris Phillips is or should I say "Mike Phillips" et "Chris Fisher" bien ma parole........

Habs 4 Life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 02:19 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

vCash: 827
He's a product of Phaneuf

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 02:20 PM
benji
Took too much, man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
On RDS they kept talking about how great Chris Phillips is or should I say "Mike Phillips" et "Chris Fisher" bien ma parole........
I laughed. I definitely said it with Pierre's voice in my head too

Edit: I would also really enjoy if he signed here after his current contract, provided he hasn't fallen off the charts or anything. Excellent hockey player.

Old
12-10-2009, 02:20 PM
overlords
#BargainBanned

he's a guy i hope we resign to a more reasonable contract when he's done his current contract.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 02:21 PM
Hermamoud

I wonder how the team would have looked if Rafalski signed here instead of Hamrlik in 2007.

Hermamoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 02:23 PM
Slashers98
HFB Partner

Here's an nice read on Hamrlik's good play this season -> http://hockeyindependent.com/blog/?p=7307

Slashers98 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 02:25 PM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
he's a guy i hope we resign to a more reasonable contract when he's done his current contract.
What? So for our cap benefit, he should not ask for what he's worth? If the guy traded contracts with Gomez, I wouldn't be complaining.

Hamrlik is worth every penny of his contract right now. Without him, we'd have like.. 4 wins. He's been an absolute beast. He was also a beast in year #1 - he had a mediocre year #2 but so did everyone.

Bad Natey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 02:48 PM
alexstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by benji View Post
He was playing like that when we first got him and we were mostly happy about his work, saying that we had improved over Souray (Harmr vs Souray. not offensively, just defensively ... although team wise, Streit immediately took the offensive slack.)

alexstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 02:51 PM
kostitsyn1489

Since he signed he's like our best defencemen at even strenght... Canbt beleive people say he's overpaid... He even played with our 6th D more often then not.

kostitsyn1489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 02:53 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Hamrlik is worth 5.5 million for season when you take into account what he brings to the table and what washed up guys like Jovanovski are making.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 02:57 PM
overlords
#BargainBanned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
Hamrlik is worth 5.5 million for season when you take into account what he brings to the table and what washed up guys like Jovanovski are making.
I didn't mean that it wasn't reasonable for what he brings, he's been awesome. But if we resign him we have to take into account regression because of his age.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 02:58 PM
TankEller*

Quote:
ditto... however, his contract is much, much more reasonable than what people beleive around the league.

Hammer's not worth much less than 5M. He's definately at least a 4,75M$ player from my point of view.

He plays a celebral game, I can see him still be effective a few years from now. Hopefully we can re-sign to a multi-year deal in the 3M$ range in a couple of years.

TankEller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 03:01 PM
TankEller*

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexstream View Post
He was playing like that when we first got him and we were mostly happy about his work, saying that we had improved over Souray (Harmr vs Souray. not offensively, just defensively ... although team wise, Streit immediately took the offensive slack.)
IMHO, he's even better than in his first season with us. That's how amazing he is right now. For the first time ever since he signed here, he has a stable, capable partner in Spacek.

Markov - O'Byrne
Hamrlik - Spacek

That will definately look great when Marky comes back. If O'Byrne keeps progressing like this, it will be the best bunch of d-men we've had in a while.

I have a great feeling for the remainder of the season when the injured players come back... We might very well pull a 2007-2008 if the standings keep being that tight.

TankEller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 03:23 PM
Pax Macioretty

Honestly Hammer has been playing so well this season i can't think of 1 thing i would want him to do better. He's A+ in every department, he's the leader of our squad, great at getting the puck out, pinches in offensively, backchecks fast, hits hard, hard accurate passes, again, what more can you ask of this guy?

Pax Macioretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 03:25 PM
Slashers98
HFB Partner

The only thing I see is his high turnover rate! He is among the leaders in that category...

Slashers98 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 03:26 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slasher98 View Post
The only thing I see is his high turnover rate! He is among the leaders in that category...
You must not see a lot then.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 03:28 PM
One Trick Pony

He is easily the 2nd best D on this team after Markov..
Even with Markov, people couldn't understand his value until they saw our stats without him. I don't know how it looks with/without Hamrlik since he signed, but I'm sure we wouldn't win many games without him, especially when Markov isn't there either.

One Trick Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 03:42 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
You can add Jordan Cheechoo according to Hartley.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 03:51 PM
benji
Took too much, man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexstream View Post
Yeah for sure, most people know how good he is. But I mean the things he does just don't show up on the scoresheet, or don't get him in the 3 star selections, but he is probably just as important to the outcome of many games as any goal-scorer just by doing the little things consistently well.

Old
12-10-2009, 03:55 PM
25tanley

Hamrlik has been great for the habs this year. Easily our best d-man. He has a good first pass, his positioning without the puck has been good, and he has also been contributing nicely on offense as well. Definitely worth his salary.

Who cares if he has'nt been hitting that much all season long. What's important is that he can play.

25tanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 04:05 PM
HarlemsFinest
teh gallys!!1

hamrlik is currently living his big career contract. He and his agent know that teams aren't looking for aging guys who are proven because it seems a lot of young guys on their first contracts are working their way into the league through their team drafting, and guys like him are being forced to retire or go back to Europe. If he wants to play in the NHL he might have to take 3million at most. Although I may be under-estimating the desperation of a few teams to overpay on July 1st.
Posted via Mobile Device

HarlemsFinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 04:22 PM
JustAHabFan

Does anybody know if Hamrlik will play for his country at the Olympics? I would perfer him to take a rest and get ready for the stretch.

JustAHabFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 04:24 PM
Team_Spirit
#FireTherrien

vCash: 915
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarlemsFinest View Post
hamrlik is currently living his big career contract. He and his agent know that teams aren't looking for aging guys who are proven because it seems a lot of young guys on their first contracts are working their way into the league through their team drafting, and guys like him are being forced to retire or go back to Europe. If he wants to play in the NHL he might have to take 3million at most. Although I may be under-estimating the desperation of a few teams to overpay on July 1st.
Posted via Mobile Device
Hammer still got another year on his contract. I was so happy when we got him he's really helping us out.

He was always getting Brisebois and O'Byrne out of the trouble last year. This year the improved D seems to give him more confidence.

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote