HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

A 4gone conclusion [EDM 3, TB 2]

Old
12-11-2009, 12:03 PM
Ramrod
Happily outscoring

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
Souray took the shooter.

JDD was slow in reacting to the pass. imo he should have overplayed the pass instead of the shot.

Of course, even if JDD had played it perfectly St. Louis might have still scored. It was a good shot on a good pass. JDD didn't help himself, though.
Goalie always takes the shot, defenseman takes the pass.

Ramrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 12:57 PM
Boilers*

Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
Its interesting to me how debating your opinion has become secondary in this discussion.

It now seems to be about your "muddled thinking", "childishness" and "cynical attitude". Lets throw in a lack "substantive reasonable hockey analysis" and that should just about cover everything.

If you could only think straight then this discussion wouldn't be necessary.

There's another opinion. He likes being quoted no matter the debate per se. He's getting addicted to his own press and finds it addictive. The irony.

Boilers* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 01:38 PM
Giant Moo

Accusing Replacement of being cynical is just silly. Anyone who's been watching this team play and listening to all the prognostications of greatness from the staff for the last 3 years should be cynical. While a 4-game win streak is nice, I see enough errors in their game right now that it could easily turn into a 4-game losing streak in an instant. If you don't believe me, listen to Quinn when he says the exact same thing.

I'll keep watching, but they still have a long ways to go to prove to this oilerfan that the playoffs are plausibly within reach.

Giant Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 01:43 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Moo View Post
Accusing Replacement of being cynical is just silly. Anyone who's been watching this team play and listening to all the prognostications of greatness from the staff for the last 3 years should be cynical. While a 4-game win streak is nice, I see enough errors in their game right now that it could easily turn into a 4-game losing streak in an instant. If you don't believe me, listen to Quinn when he says the exact same thing.

I'll keep watching, but they still have a long ways to go to prove to this oilerfan that the playoffs are plausibly within reach.
That is a fair statement.

After missing the playoffs for three years in a row the Oilers are in show me mode.

hockeyaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 02:09 PM
theranfordflop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Moo View Post

Again... Playoffs?!! Please, please, please let's just stop talking about the playoffs. This team still needs to learn how to be consistent game in and game out. Playoffs are the last in a long list of goals this team needs to meet.

Y'know, as I've said before to Replacement, it's time to reset. Let go. The past is the past, this is a new regime, with a completely new game plan and a new attitude. The team has reset, and is showing steady and gradual progress. There is literally nothing wrong with the progress this team has made from game 1 to game 31.

I'm seeing a lot of people who are letting pent up frustration over three seasons of horrible coaching really clouding their analysis of what is happening with this team in the here and now. And to be blunt about it, it's really separating the wheat from the chaff as far as posters here who are actually knowledgeable about the game.

theranfordflop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 02:14 PM
Joe Hallenback

Quote:
Originally Posted by theranfordflop View Post
Again... Playoffs?!! Please, please, please let's just stop talking about the playoffs. This team still needs to learn how to be consistent game in and game out. Playoffs are the last in a long list of goals this team needs to meet.

Y'know, as I've said before to Replacement, it's time to reset. Let go. The past is the past, this is a new regime, with a completely new game plan and a new attitude. The team has reset, and is showing steady and gradual progress. There is literally nothing wrong with the progress this team has made from game 1 to game 31.

I'm seeing a lot of people who are letting pent up frustration over three seasons of horrible coaching really clouding their analysis of what is happening with this team in the here and now. And to be blunt about it, it's really separating the wheat from the chaff as far as posters here who are actually knowledgeable about the game.

Joe Hallenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 02:26 PM
Philly85
Moody'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Its a fair point thats well expressed. I think the frustration for me stems from how deluded the present team occasionally gets in thinking how good it is. I see a pretty lousy club that gets bigheaded at the slightest sign of success. Lets see what follows up these 4 games.

Really don't know wht that would accomplish either with this org.

I honestly don't enjoy most of the present players that compose this club. I'm an Oiler fan always but few of these players would be my picks.

Why would I want that?

Being pessimistic about the prognosis does not eqate to robbing happiness on a messageboard. I don't see that.

Nobody has to make any concessions. I don't tell people what they should think about this club. They are of course free to decide that on their own as I'm sure they do.

This place is for discussion. Opinions will be different. I'm not sure where the harm is in that.
It's just that everyone already gets it. You're veering into DSF territory now. Going against the grain just for the sake of it almost, when people know the problems all too well already - Christ's sakes it was just a weak ago they were last in the West and everyone wanted to throw in the towel - it's a ****** roster, for the most part people understand there is a lack of character, lack of true depth and lack of any bonafide "franchise" talent. The decision is fairly unanimous.

Your "sensible" and honest - albeit overly emphatic style - of evaluating this team is running it's course. It's as though you're becoming a caricature of yourself. Beginning to sound like a broken record. Melodramatic, etc. If you don't like it I suggest you take a step back. *cue the - it's a message board and I'm free to express any and all opinions I feel - response*

Expectations and standards have been taken down a notch (or several) and people will be happy in taking the small victories. Just over a week ago they looked like an AHL team, with glaring holes everywhere.

In this short stretch of games, even though it may not have been the prettiest hockey, the team is beginning to show marginal improvements in different areas. The bottom line is they've won 4 in a row on the road, when they have a crummy road record to begin with. Could've folded like a cheap tent but they've persevered to a degree and are working hard.

Last edited by Philly85: 12-11-2009 at 04:11 PM.
Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 02:43 PM
Section337
HFBoards Sponsor

By the same token, people don't need to keep trying to convince somebody else they are wrong. In fact, many prolonged discussions on this board start with the two sides being closer to agreement at the beginning than they are at the end.

Section337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 03:29 PM
theranfordflop

theranfordflop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 05:03 PM
The Forechecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
It's just that everyone already gets it. You're veering into DSF territory now. Going against the grain just for the sake of it almost, when people know the problems all too well already - Christ's sakes it was just a weak ago they were last in the West and everyone wanted to throw in the towel - it's a ****** roster, for the most part people understand there is a lack of character, lack of true depth and lack of any bonafide "franchise" talent. The decision is fairly unanimous.

Your "sensible" and honest - albeit overly emphatic style - of evaluating this team is running it's course. It's as though you're becoming a caricature of yourself. Beginning to sound like a broken record. Melodramatic, etc. If you don't like it I suggest you take a step back. *cue the - it's a message board and I'm free to express any and all opinions I feel - response*

Expectations and standards have been taken down a notch (or several) and people will be happy in taking the small victories. Just over a week ago they looked like an AHL team, with glaring holes everywhere.

In this short stretch of games, even though it may not have been the prettiest hockey, the team is beginning to show marginal improvements in different areas. The bottom line is they've won 4 in a row on the road, when they have a crummy road record to begin with. Could've folded like a cheap tent but they've persevered to a degree and are working hard.

The Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 08:18 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilers View Post
There's another opinion. He likes being quoted no matter the debate per se. He's getting addicted to his own press and finds it addictive. The irony.
I think he has made some valid points. Despite the last 4 games this team simply isn't very good. Lucky bounces have been a big part of why they are even on a winning streak. Sure they have played better lately but the sad reality is that even the mighty Quinn can't spin junk into gold.
This is a mediocre team and I fully expect that to express itself over the course of the season unless a deal is made.

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 02:56 AM
AK Dandyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
I think he has made some valid points. Despite the last 4 games this team simply isn't very good. Lucky bounces have been a big part of why they are even on a winning streak. Sure they have played better lately but the sad reality is that even the mighty Quinn can't spin junk into gold.
This is a mediocre team and I fully expect that to express itself over the course of the season unless a deal is made.
Have we made the playoff? NO
Have we won a playoff round? NO NO
Have we made the Stanley Cup Final? NO NO NO

but when a team, any team, being bad team great team, has won 4 Straight on the road with all these injuries and most talented offensive player out for the season....

I say, PLEASE, lets forget about all the negatives or so call constructive criticism for ONE DAY...and say

YAHHHHH! WOOOOOOHOOOOOOO! Cheers to the road warriors!

PS. BTW, if we won the Stanley cup, we can always criticize we haven't won 2 in a roll. If we won 2, but we haven't won 3. If we won 3, we haven't won every year.....

Last edited by AK Dandyman: 12-12-2009 at 03:09 AM.
AK Dandyman is offline   Reply With Quote