HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

A 4gone conclusion [EDM 3, TB 2]

Old
12-09-2009, 09:40 PM
Asher

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MePutPuckInNet View Post
ROFL. Ecklund rumour. Now reporting that he might get the go ahead to report a rumour either tonight or tomorrow that there is a big trade coming up involving a "NY area" team and a Canadian team.

Sorry, had to share because it just made me laugh. The vagueness is astounding. Maybe tomorrow I might be able to report a possible rumour that perhaps might maybe lead to something in the near future but I can't say what it is because I promised somebody I wouldn't report it just yet.

How much wood could a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood?
Just out of curiosity, does anyone one Eklund's site ever mention that "big trades' have all but been eliminated with the post-lockout CBA? Does Eklund see pink elephants too? You probably have a better chance of seeing one of those than you do a blockbuster deal at this time of year in the NHL.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 09:41 PM
Crobby

Just wanted to say that Gilbert had a pretty solid game tonight. I've been one of his biggest critics but he made some nice plays tonight...getting sticks in passing lanes, playing tougher in our zone, etc. This made me happy, the goal was just a bonus

Crobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Cawz

Quote:
Originally Posted by theranfordflop View Post
That's a big time effort by the Oilers, a bit of a sloppy start, then really kept it safe and aggressive the rest of the night. They should have had at least one more goal, as Smith was a gong show handling the puck, and they had a couple posts there.

Feels good to see them tough it out, hope they can keep it rolling! Wooo!
Yeah, Smith was leaving some bad rebounds. They should have been driving the net more looking for garbage.

Next up is St Louis, who is 3rd worst in the NHL at home. 5-9-2. They've been good on the road lately but not at home.

We'd be in a playoff position right now if we were in the eastern conference.

Edit: Well I guess offically we'd be 9th in the east, but tied in points with spot #7.

Cawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Vomiting Kermit*

Quote:
Originally Posted by oiler4ever View Post
Howe good was Zack.
This post has Gene Principe written all over it.

Vomiting Kermit* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 09:43 PM
sueroe

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
WOW 4 in a row on this road trip, some of the wins against good teams... Awesome!!!!

The captain almost cost us at the end, he just forgot the puck and kept skating, and JDD was terrific especially in the third when we looked to run out of gas.
O'Sullivan needs to get better, he was pretty awful for the most part
Tommy G is starting to play like we all thought he was capable of, no more Tammy. The refs fooked us big time in this one but it was great to get those penalty kills despite the questionable calls.
Great Win, we are close to being right there in the playoff race, still some work to do but we're getting there.
Man your oilers have had a nice road trip. I watched the last few games, and thought the team and the lines are clicking well.
The fourth line started very strong. I thought Stone and Stortini played very well.
Nilsson has been very good but i thought he lost a little steam in the latter part of tonight.
Gagner looked pretty quiet last game, but he was flying tonight and that line was passing well. They were a little messy on the last pp.
I thought O'Sullivan looked tentative last game, just lacking in confidence, but i saw the complete opposite tonight. I thought he looked aggressive, and was playing a solid defensive game. Not mistake free, but he had some major hop in his game tonight.
Nice to see Deslauriers step up. I also miss watching Lubo play in LA.

sueroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 09:44 PM
OYLer

I'm guessing Potulny & Stone might not clear waivers a second time. And JFJ has been a monster with his crippling hits. Roster crunch time's a coming with Grebs coming back. Maybe a trade could be in the works or a minors introduction or reintroduction for a struggling player. Maybe Gregs gets a conditioning stint in Springfield as added motivation?

OYLer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 09:49 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by OYLer View Post
I'm guessing Potulny & Stone might not clear waivers a second time. And JFJ has been a monster with his crippling hits. Roster crunch time's a coming with Grebs coming back. Maybe a trade could be in the works or a minors introduction or reintroduction for a struggling player. Maybe Gregs gets a conditioning stint in Springfield as added motivation?
Not sure anyone actually needs to go back down. Pouliot, Comrie, Pisani and Hemsky are still on IR.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 09:49 PM
GSC

Quote:
There is no reason whatsoever to send either Pots or Stone back to Springfield...they're outperforming their contracts something fierce, and given the Oil's problems with overpaying under performing players, they should be a breath of fresh air to the organization.

If Tambo makes the mistake of losing those two in such a scenario, I'll go ape s***.

GSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 09:50 PM
MePutPuckInNet

Quote:
Originally Posted by sueroe View Post
Man your oilers have had a nice road trip. I watched the last few games, and thought the team and the lines are clicking well.
The fourth line started very strong. I thought Stone and Stortini played very well.
Nilsson has been very good but i thought he lost a little steam in the latter part of tonight.
Gagner looked pretty quiet last game, but he was flying tonight and that line was passing well. They were a little messy on the last pp.
I thought O'Sullivan looked tentative last game, just lacking in confidence, but i saw the complete opposite tonight. I thought he looked aggressive, and was playing a solid defensive game. Not mistake free, but he had some major hop in his game tonight.
Nice to see Deslauriers step up. I also miss watching Lubo play in LA.
I don't think the Oilers 2nd line is clicking at all. I thought Patty O had a nice game tonight too - although I know everyone else around here disagrees. He won a lot of battles and made some really good plays - but for some reason that line just can't get anything going offensively. I think it has a lot to do with the fact that Horcoff has no offensive presence and Jacques has even less. All too often, Sully is attempting to do things all by himself and nobody can get anything done out there without at least one complimentary player. He just has no one to work with or work off of. When he does have offensive opportunities, it's because he creates them himself. There's almost no support on that 2nd line for offensive maneuvering.

...however, I think Horcoff's defensive game has improved over the past 3-4 games.

I still don't like JFJ. I know he can throw a hit. But, IMO, it just doesn't do anything for this team with him on the 2nd line. I'd rather see Nilsson with Horcoff and O'Sullivan.

I thought it was pretty interesting that Quinn had O'Sullivan and Nilsson out together on a 4 on 4.

MePutPuckInNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 09:51 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 160
Quote:
This team is in trouble if they send a player like Potulny down. Unlike Comrie he actually does the little things that help teams win. Stone is the same kind of player albeit a little slower and with more grit.
Comrie has no place in the lineup as it stands right now and I am not bothered by that in the least. No doubt though the management will lose a quality player like Potulny to get Comrie in the lineup because Tambo needs to justify why he signed Comrie in the first place.

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 09:53 PM
KarmaPolice
Masterdebater

vCash: 777
Send a message via MSN to KarmaPolice
Quote:
I sure wouldn't want to risk losing Stone, that's for sure. Potulny is a great 3rd/4th line guy right now, who will probably chip in sooner than later (I believe he's always been streaky).

Jacques is just a hitting machine. Even though he's missed 7 games, the broadcasters mentioned he was 8th in the league in hits--which I know is subjective in how they're called by each stat keeper, but I'll give it the benefit of the doubt. He must've had a good half-dozen good checks tonight, too.

KarmaPolice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 09:54 PM
Ty Webb*

Nice to see them actually take advantage of a gift tonight (no Malone No Stamkos after 1st). A lot of times when it should be automatic the team loses so much intensity and piss points away. W on the board.

Ty Webb* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 09:55 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
This team is in trouble if they send a player like Potulny down. Unlike Comrie he actually does the little things that help teams win. Stone is the same kind of player albeit a little slower and with more grit.
Comrie has no place in the lineup as it stands right now and I am not bothered by that in the least. No doubt though the management will lose a quality player like Potulny to get Comrie in the lineup because Tambo needs to justify why he signed Comrie in the first place.
Comrie's not going to be back for a while. Mono can take months to heal and recover from, possibly extending to beyond the trade deadline when roster limits are relaxed.

Old
12-09-2009, 09:57 PM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPolice View Post
I sure wouldn't want to risk losing Stone, that's for sure. Potulny is a great 3rd/4th line guy right now, who will probably chip in sooner than later (I believe he's always been streaky).

Jacques is just a hitting machine. Even though he's missed 7 games, the broadcasters mentioned he was 8th in the league in hits--which I know is subjective in how they're called by each stat keeper, but I'll give it the benefit of the doubt. He must've had a good half-dozen good checks tonight, too.
JFJ's hits are bone-jarring too. I haven't seen anyone do that much damage on the Oilers since Torres, except all of all JFJ's hits are legal. And I swear, about half of them directly lead to scoring chances. If the guy had any hands to speak of he'd be like what we saw from Backes last season.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 09:58 PM
Giant Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Vandelay View Post
There is no correlation, but it's true that #32 brings what the team sorely lacked during his time out of the lineup.

The fact that no one was brought in to replace him during that time is unfathomable.
I don't disagree with that.

Only with the assertion that having Stone in the lineup is all you need to get the W.

Giant Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 10:00 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
Comrie's not going to be back for a while. Mono can take months to heal and recover from, possibly extending to beyond the trade deadline when roster limits are relaxed.
I never want to wish an extended illness on anyone but this team would benefit by an extended Mike Comrie absence.
He simply does not have the tool set to help this team win especially if it means a player like Potulny comes out.

Potulny is a very good, very smart, versatile bottom 6 player.
I have been very impressed with Potulny and if this management has taken their head out of their arse they will have noticed that as well.
He is a keeper especially with his cap hit as it is right now.
Comrie is expendable.

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
GSC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Moo View Post
I don't disagree with that.

Only with the assertion that having Stone in the lineup is all you need to get the W.
Oh heavens no...

all you need to get the W is Horcoff and his ridiculously high Corsi rating

Old
Giant Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MePutPuckInNet View Post
ROFL. Ecklund rumour. Now reporting that he might get the go ahead to report a rumour either tonight or tomorrow that there is a big trade coming up involving a "NY area" team and a Canadian team.

Sorry, had to share because it just made me laugh. The vagueness is astounding. Maybe tomorrow I might be able to report a possible rumour that perhaps might maybe lead to something in the near future but I can't say what it is because I promised somebody I wouldn't report it just yet.

How much wood could a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood?
Please keep this crap to designated ghettos, er, threads, so as to not pollute everything else.

Old
12-09-2009, 10:02 PM
Giant Moo

Quote:
Oh heavens no...

all you need to get the W is Horcoff and his ridiculously high Corsi rating
1 point in 6 games since Hemsky left the lineup, but I heard tell from the Head Priest that Horcoff doesn't need Hemsky to score. So the only conclusion is that the NHL is hiding Shawn Horcoff's points somehow.

Old
SlowFreshOil*

Quote:
I never want to wish an extended illness on anyone but this team would benefit by an extended Mike Comrie absence.
He simply does not have the tool set to help this team win.

I have been very impressed with Potulny and if this management has taken their head out of their arse they will have noticed that as well.
He is a very good, very smart, versatile bottom 6 player.
Hes is a keeper especially with his cap hit as it is right now.
Comrie is expendable.
I could see him going at the trade deadline.

SlowFreshOil* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
He simply does not have the tool set to help this team win.

He is a very good, very smart, versatile bottom 6 player.
Hes is a keeper especially with his cap hit as it is right now.
Comrie is expendable.
I don't think he's expendable. Remember, this is the Oilers roster we're talking about. Robert Nilsson is notorious for being inconsistent. We're always one hit away from a 4 month injury to any of our players. It'll help to have the backup just in case one or both of those things happen.

Old
CupofOil

Quote:
There is no reason whatsoever to send either Pots or Stone back to Springfield...they're outperforming their contracts something fierce, and given the Oil's problems with overpaying under performing players, they should be a breath of fresh air to the organization.

If Tambo makes the mistake of losing those two in such a scenario, I'll go ape s***.
I agree and i'll be pissed if one of them gets sent down but somebody's going down when Comrie comes back that's for sure and it'll probably be Potulny unfortunately.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 10:03 PM
GSC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Moo View Post
1 point in 6 games since Hemsky left the lineup, but I heard tell from the Head Priest that Horcoff doesn't need Hemsky to score. So the only conclusion is that the NHL is hiding Shawn Horcoff's points somehow.
Obviously, that's the only logical conclusion at this point.

His Adjusted Relative Plus/Minus is off the charts...

Old
12-09-2009, 10:04 PM
RKD

I still believe Comrie would be a useful player on this roster. With Hemsky out, it would be nice to have another guy that could play the half-boards well and QB the powerplay. Comrie does that well; and let's remember that he was on pace for 25 goals, and that includes many games where he was playing ill. This team doesn't have a lot of 25+ goal scorers on it not named Penner.

There was so much discussion tonight about how the Oilers could have potted a few insurance markers if they drove the net a little better and put away the garbage. Comrie goes to those areas all the time and scores a lot of his goals in and around the blue paint.

12-09-2009, 10:04 PM
KarmaPolice
Masterdebater

vCash: 777
Send a message via MSN to KarmaPolice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
JFJ's hits are bone-jarring too. I haven't seen anyone do that much damage on the Oilers since Torres, except all of all JFJ's hits are legal. And I swear, about half of them directly lead to scoring chances. If the guy had any hands to speak of he'd be like what we saw from Backes last season.
Yeah, he had a couple of good opportunities tonight to score, but they just got away from him. I'm hoping more of his offense from the AHL will transfer over in time. Even if it mostly doesn't, and what we see now is what we get, I think he's a hell of an addition to this team.

KarmaPolice is offline   Reply With Quote