HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

A 4gone conclusion [EDM 3, TB 2]

Old
12-09-2009, 11:05 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowFreshOil View Post
I could see him going at the trade deadline.
Assuming Comrie rebounds by January...the only things that may save him a roster spot is Hemskys injury and the fact that Nilsson is an enigma. Otherwise I agree...he is trade fodder.

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 11:05 PM
VincenzosOil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
This team is in trouble if they send a player like Potulny down. Unlike Comrie he actually does the little things that help teams win. Stone is the same kind of player albeit a little slower and with more grit.
Comrie has no place in the lineup as it stands right now and I am not bothered by that in the least. No doubt though the management will lose a quality player like Potulny to get Comrie in the lineup because Tambo needs to justify why he signed Comrie in the first place.
I think Quinn will have a large say when Comrie gets back. I don't believe Tambellini will let ego interfere with a winning team and he'll let Quinn deal with on ice decisions.

This is the first full Oilers game I have watched in a long while (got thank my kid for having the feed) but I too am impressed with Stone. Potulny I didn't notice as much. Good for the team to go through the third and hang on to the lead convincingly and add to their growing confidence.

There is also a noticable difference in how quickly they break out of their zone. Quick, sharp, confident passes and they're out. Kudos to Quinn and staff.

VincenzosOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 11:06 PM
JustinCider

With Hemsky gone long term, the cap should not be an issue. If this team lets a guy like Stone go, before Pisani, then they are really out to lunch and have no idea on what it takes to win. Pisani was a solid player, but do to health problems, he's done. Potulny should stay here over Pisani as well, he should be here over Nilsson too. Potulny and Stone are both perfect fits for the 3rd/4th lines.

JustinCider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 11:07 PM
MePutPuckInNet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Moo View Post
Please keep this crap to designated ghettos, er, threads, so as to not pollute everything else.
I didn't want to start a thread for another Ecklund rumor. Please Mr. Thread Policeman, don't take away my keyboard.

Last edited by RKD: 12-09-2009 at 11:08 PM. Reason: not needed
MePutPuckInNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ryan- View Post
I still believe Comrie would be a useful player on this roster. With Hemsky out, it would be nice to have another guy that could play the half-boards well and QB the powerplay. Comrie does that well; and let's remember that he was on pace for 25 goals, and that includes many games where he was playing ill. This team doesn't have a lot of 25+ goal scorers on it not named Penner.

There was so much discussion tonight about how the Oilers could have potted a few insurance markers if they drove the net a little better and put away the garbage. Comrie goes to those areas all the time and scores a lot of his goals in and around the blue paint.
I agree with this

Tad Mikowsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
I don't think he's expendable. Remember, this is the Oilers roster we're talking about. Robert Nilsson is notorious for being inconsistent. We're always one hit away from a 4 month injury to any of our players. It'll help to have the backup just in case one or both of those things happen.
Yeah...I said as much in a followup post. Hemsky's injury has likely saved his ass. It was still a useless signing by Tambo especially when you consider how weak this team is with Stone and JFJ out of the lineup.

Old
12-09-2009, 11:08 PM
CupofOil
Visualizing

Quote:
I never want to wish an extended illness on anyone but this team would benefit by an extended Mike Comrie absence.
He simply does not have the tool set to help this team win especially if it means a player like Potulny comes out.

Potulny is a very good, very smart, versatile bottom 6 player.
I have been very impressed with Potulny and if this management has taken their head out of their arse they will have noticed that as well.
He is a keeper especially with his cap hit as it is right now.
Comrie is expendable.

We all know Comrie's expendable and Quinney probably know that he's expendable but unfortunately i doubt that management will swallow their ego and not place Comrie in the lineup when he returns, it would mean that the Comrie experiment was a failure and i don't think they are willing to bite the bullet.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 11:08 PM
surshot*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Moo View Post
Please keep this crap to designated ghettos, er, threads, so as to not pollute everything else.
Eklund

Good game by Stone tonight, He makes things happened and major props for beating up Downie.

surshot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 11:09 PM
KarmaPolice
No Hope...

vCash: 5013
Send a message via MSN to KarmaPolice
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
We all know Comrie's expendable and Quinney probably know that he's expendable but unfortunately i doubt that management will swallow their ego and not place Comrie in the lineup when he returns, it would mean that the Comrie experiment was a failure and i don't think they are willing to admit that.
He's good to have around for depth, if nothing else. Very good on the PP. God knows more injuries will be probably coming our way, and Comrie coming back is a long-term thing, anyway. Probably Feb. by the earliest.

KarmaPolice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 11:09 PM
GSC

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ryan- View Post
I still believe Comrie would be a useful player on this roster. With Hemsky out, it would be nice to have another guy that could play the half-boards well and QB the powerplay. Comrie does that well; and let's remember that he was on pace for 25 goals, and that includes many games where he was playing ill. This team doesn't have a lot of 25+ goal scorers on it not named Penner.

There was so much discussion tonight about how the Oilers could have potted a few insurance markers if they drove the net a little better and put away the garbage. Comrie goes to those areas all the time and scores a lot of his goals in and around the blue paint.
Couldn't agree more.

I'm just hoping Tambo finds a way to keep Potulny and Stone around, too.

GSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 11:10 PM
MePutPuckInNet

How was the Comrie experiment a failure exactly? He was playing well before he got sick. It's unfortunate, but I don't see how it could be considered a failure by the management.

Old
12-09-2009, 11:11 PM
Cloned
Dial M for Michelle

Quote:
Yeah...I said as much in a followup post. Hemsky's injury has likely saved his ass. It was still a useless signing by Tambo especially when you consider how weak this team is with Stone and JFJ out of the lineup.
It's not really a useless signing if it provides depth in these exact situations.

Too often the Oilers don't sign NHL level players because they're allergic to having veteran depth. Comrie isn't physical, but he can play and he can contribute.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 11:12 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
We all know Comrie's expendable and Quinney probably know that he's expendable but unfortunately i doubt that management will swallow their ego and not place Comrie in the lineup when he returns, it would mean that the Comrie experiment was a failure and i don't think they are willing to bite the bullet.
I agree. This is a carry over from when Lowe had the reigns (maybe he still does...who knows) and like you I don't see this changing.
Its too bad because its part of why this team is very mediocre.

Old
12-09-2009, 11:15 PM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

vCash: 730
Wow, I am gone for a week and a half and the Oilers have won four in a row. I think I better leave again. Anyways, have not been able to watch the games, what are they doing different? Just from watching the hi-lights it looks like Deslauriers has played very well and the team is playing better defence.
It feels good winning again.

hmminvisiblecola1279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 11:15 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
It's not really a useless signing if it provides depth in these exact situations.

Too often the Oilers don't sign NHL level players because they're allergic to having veteran depth. Comrie isn't physical, but he can play and he can contribute.
It is a potential issue depending on how management exercises its options. This team would be much stronger with another JFJ or Stone as opposed to Comrie. His signing was redundant and the absence of Stone and JFJ prior to this winning streak really underscored that fact.
Comrie epitomizes the problem with this team....too small and too soft.

Old
12-09-2009, 11:16 PM
VincenzosOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Vandelay View Post
Couldn't agree more.

Yeah, I agree also. Comrie is small but plays tough and can be a contributor. Unless Potulny, Stone regress, it will be tough finding a spot for Comrie though.

VincenzosOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 11:16 PM
Asher

Quote:
I still think it was a good move. Before the swine flu and mono hit, Comrie was fitting in well and putting up good numbers.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 11:17 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by VincenzosOil View Post
I think Quinn will have a large say when Comrie gets back. I don't believe Tambellini will let ego interfere with a winning team and he'll let Quinn deal with on ice decisions.

This is the first full Oilers game I have watched in a long while (got thank my kid for having the feed) but I too am impressed with Stone. Potulny I didn't notice as much. Good for the team to go through the third and hang on to the lead convincingly and add to their growing confidence.

There is also a noticable difference in how quickly they break out of their zone. Quick, sharp, confident passes and they're out. Kudos to Quinn and staff.
We shall find out just how much influence the head coach has on who is on the roster. I hope you're right but history seems to suggest otherwise.

Old
12-09-2009, 11:18 PM
MePutPuckInNet

Awesome. Lets rid the team of all the talent. Then when all these "crusty" guys can't win games all by themselves, what are we gonna do then?

Old
12-09-2009, 11:19 PM
CupofOil
Visualizing

Quote:
Originally Posted by MePutPuckInNet View Post
How was the Comrie experiment a failure exactly? He was playing well before he got sick. It's unfortunate, but I don't see how it could be considered a failure by the management.
I'm not saying that it's a failure personally but if Comrie doesn't fit into the lineup as a regular when he's healthy then it would be looked upon as a failure because Comrie was brought here to be a fixture in the lineup.... I agree with some of the posters above that he could help improve the putrid PP but 5 on 5 he's just awful and Potulny does a lot of little things that don't get noticed as well as chip in some occasional offense so he'll be hard to supplant out of the lineup.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 11:20 PM
Stoneman89

Once Comrie is healthy, I'd play him with POS. They seemed to play well together while Comrie was in the lineup at 100 %. This team needs to get POS going to continue this mild success, and I think Comrie might be the straw that stirs that drink.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 11:21 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
I still think it was a good move. Before the swine flu and mono hit, Comrie was fitting in well and putting up good numbers.
The sample size was far too small and the team showed an uncanny ability to lose games in the final minutes. I am not blaming that on Comrie but having a player like Stone or Potulny in the lineup provide something that Comrie simply can't. These are the types of players that help teams win not players like Comrie that pad their stats with PP time.

Old
Julio18

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Vandelay View Post
Couldn't agree more.

Comrie and O'Sullivan also seemed to have some chemistry at the beginning of the season. We certainly could use some more scoring in combination with our improved defensive game.

Great games over the last four, but two SO wins and two, one goal wins. A lot of squeeking going' on around here...

Julio18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Jimmi Jenkins
Oilers' 14/15 Season

The Oilers are over .500 on the season. That's impressive in itself.

Jimmi Jenkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 11:22 PM
SlowFreshOil*

Quote:

My point was if the Oilers for some reason don't really have a spot for him, or he's expendable (because the Oilers can trade for a player to make up Hemsky's salary), he's appealing to other teams because of his salary.

SlowFreshOil* is offline   Reply With Quote