HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Holidays with the Canucks

Old
12-19-2009, 08:16 PM
Wetcoaster

vCash: 500
Holidays with the Canucks

With the United Nations having nothing on the NHL days, players have different holiday traditions such as with the Canucks.

Henrik goes for 10 varieties of pickled herring!!! And TV viewing? A Donald Duck cartoon is a Swedish tradition apparently!

Salo likes a sauna... and Christmas Eve porridge.

Hanukkah for Mathieu Schneider.

Perogies and cabbage rolls for the Hordichuk clan.

Christmas duck (not the Anaheim variety) and roast pork for Jannik Hansen with his parents coming from Denmark,

Ehrhoff goes with gingerbread ice cream dessert he makes himself with his mom's recipe.

Quote:
Christmas with the Canucks

From pickled herring to a bracing shot of aquavit, NHLers celebrate with a variety of traditions
http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/C...484/story.html

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 08:51 PM
The Vengabus

Scandinavians do Christmas best.

The Vengabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 09:01 PM
DOOMGUY*

Ok I'm trying pickled herring this Christmas. Does anyone know where I can/should get it?

DOOMGUY* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 09:01 PM
timw33

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOMGUY View Post
Ok I'm trying pickled herring this Christmas. Does anyone know where I can/should get it?
FedEx'd from Sweden.

timw33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 09:45 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOMGUY View Post
Also try gravlax - salmon cured in salt, sugar, and dill. A different take on smoked salmon.

I have seen pickled herring in the food market at Ikea in Coquitlam in the past. They also have quite good Glögg (mulled wine) mixes. For the the youngsters we usually buy some de-alcoholized red wine so they do not feel left out.

Also:
Halso Konditori Swedish Bakery Cafe
2668 Arbutus Street
Vancouver, BC V6J 5L8
(604) 736-3335

A Swedish friend shops at Jolly Foods, 111 Charles St., North Vancouver, (604) 929-7937 for Swedish cured ham. They likely have pickled herring as well.

Usually around Christmas Dovre Import & Export Ltd. 854 East Cordova St. Vancouver (1-800-370-3850) will sell retail, but if not check with them to see who carries the various Swedish food products they offer.
http://www.dovreimport.com/specialty...p?list=seafood

I have spent Christmas in Stockholm in the past and the food was great - BTW aquavit which is like a vodka flavoured with herbs is the traditional drink with herring - usually served in shot glasses.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 09:59 PM
YogiCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickNashEquilibrium View Post
Scandinavians do Christmas best.
You win at usernames.

YogiCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 10:56 PM
DOOMGUY*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
Also try gravlax - salmon cured in salt, sugar, and dill. A different take on smoked salmon.

I have seen pickled herring in the food market at Ikea in Coquitlam in the past. They also have quite good Glögg (mulled wine) mixes. For the the youngsters we usually buy some de-alcoholized red wine so they do not feel left out.

Also:
Halso Konditori Swedish Bakery Cafe
2668 Arbutus Street
Vancouver, BC V6J 5L8
(604) 736-3335

A Swedish friend shops at Jolly Foods, 111 Charles St., North Vancouver, (604) 929-7937 for Swedish cured ham. They likely have pickled herring as well.

Usually around Christmas Dovre Import & Export Ltd. 854 East Cordova St. Vancouver (1-800-370-3850) will sell retail, but if not check with them to see who carries the various Swedish food products they offer.
http://www.dovreimport.com/specialty...p?list=seafood

I have spent Christmas in Stockholm in the past and the food was great - BTW aquavit which is like a vodka flavoured with herbs is the traditional drink with herring - usually served in shot glasses.
Thank you for the tips!

DOOMGUY* is offline   Reply With Quote