HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Kings v. Nemo: **** Yeah!!!!!!! Post Game THOUGHTS & TIDBITS

Old
12-10-2009, 09:56 AM
Defgarden

vCash: 500
Agreed Tony. Ersberg does need more games. He needs to be playing at least every 4th game.

Also, someone slap me. I must be dreaming. The Kings can't be a good team. I'm dreaming right?

Defgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 09:58 AM
TonySCV
One More Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Dutch View Post
... Perhaps because I don't see things that aren't there in the first place? Seriously, I ask a very legit question in response to someone saying "not enough can be said about how much he means to this team", and I get two mostly condescending sentences containing zero examples of this meaningful play he was supposed to have been providing.
You need to just agree to disagree. You're not going to get any response from any pro-Williams fan who thinks he's a great first line asset because you fundamentally disagree with the opinion that he should be playing on the first line. If you can't see it by watching games yourself, no examples anyone provides are going to convince you otherwise.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 10:00 AM
TonySCV
One More Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defgarden View Post
Also, someone slap me. I must be dreaming. The Kings can't be a good team. I'm dreaming right?
9 games over .500
7-1-1 vs. their own division
4-0-1 in December
A .640 points percentage.

Just for some perspective, if they maintain that .640PP% through the season, they'll wind up with something like a 30-16-4 record in their remaining games, good for 105 points.

You're not dreaming!

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 10:17 AM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defgarden View Post

Also, someone slap me.

Gentle Ben Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 10:18 AM
Zizou
Dont Mix Your Drinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
This won't be a popular opinion perhaps, but I have always liked Sharks fans and while I am certain they have their share of "**** talking" jokers, every one I have ever met has been knowledgeable, cool, and complimentary of our Kings.
I've had a few experiences, all good and all relatively courteous. I met a girl there, not gonna lie... it was nice. The Bay area is filled with beautiful women. We also got some razzing from fans but it was all good. You can't complain about Bay area fans. They keep the bad ones on the other side of the bridge.

Nemo is appropriate... The Sharks are a big, physically imposing team and yet they were flopping around like the ice was cracked. It was like a kiss the ice contest out there.

All in all, an excellent way to overcome the barrage of penalties called against you & an excellent way for three important players to finally get on the scoresheet.

The true test will be tonight. After the emotion from last night, will the Kings have a letdown against Phoenix or will they hold through to their form within the division?

Tonight's 2 points are even bigger than last night.

Zizou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 10:33 AM
HookKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willard View Post
Ever notice how Brown is pretty good at doing a quick 360 and immediately coming out of it, getting a shot that goes right on net.

Nabokov wasn't expecting it but he should have been.
As opposed to the high and wide you were expecting?

HookKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 10:46 AM
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:
... Perhaps because I don't see things that aren't there in the first place? Seriously, I ask a very legit question in response to someone saying "not enough can be said about how much he means to this team", and I get two mostly condescending sentences containing zero examples of this meaningful play he was supposed to have been providing. Williams had four shots on goal -- that's great, so did Purcell in half the ice time, with worse linemates. Williams had a shift on the PK, during which he stood around waiting for a whistle while the Sharks scored. It would be one thing if I could find that in fact there was more to Williams than the raw numbers; if I could see that he was being closely checked and bodied, carrying defenders around while he has the puck, but that's not happening either because the checking attention goes to his linemates. Even without the checking attention, he's shaky with the puck and imprecise when dishing or receiving passes. Nobody on that top line gets more open ice and does less with it than Justin Williams. The man is a solid second or third line winger masquerading as a first liner, and what baffles me is that there are people unwilling to call a spade a spade and admit this.
It wasn't a condescending response; I was just being completely honest. There's no real point in trying to illustrate why I believe he's doing a good job because, as Tony says:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
You need to just agree to disagree. You're not going to get any response from any pro-Williams fan who thinks he's a great first line asset because you fundamentally disagree with the opinion that he should be playing on the first line. If you can't see it by watching games yourself, no examples anyone provides are going to convince you otherwise.
I know no matter what I point out, you're going to disagree with it. I understand that's the nature of these message boards, but there's no incentive for me to argue a point I know is not going to change your mind.

Chazz Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 10:46 AM
no name

I didn't see the game becasue Center Ice was on a one hour delay for some unexplainable reason but from the looks of the box scores I'm glad to see our guys who were struggling bounce back.

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 11:12 AM
Willard
Kings All The Way

Quote:
... Perhaps because I don't see things that aren't there in the first place? Seriously, I ask a very legit question in response to someone saying "not enough can be said about how much he means to this team", and I get two mostly condescending sentences containing zero examples of this meaningful play he was supposed to have been providing. Williams had four shots on goal -- that's great, so did Purcell in half the ice time, with worse linemates. Williams had a shift on the PK, during which he stood around waiting for a whistle while the Sharks scored. It would be one thing if I could find that in fact there was more to Williams than the raw numbers; if I could see that he was being closely checked and bodied, carrying defenders around while he has the puck, but that's not happening either because the checking attention goes to his linemates. Even without the checking attention, he's shaky with the puck and imprecise when dishing or receiving passes. Nobody on that top line gets more open ice and does less with it than Justin Williams. The man is a solid second or third line winger masquerading as a first liner, and what baffles me is that there are people unwilling to call a spade a spade and admit this.
Brief version: it's settled, Justin Williams is a quivering misfit doing nothing but drag the Kings down.

This as we know from a previous thread is your new, very wordy campaign, and none of us will be able to tell you otherwise.

I for one am with Chazz on this.

Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 11:14 AM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpa View Post
Brown does alot of stupid plays that becomes turn-overs and thats my problem with his game but his offensive play don't bother me that much except that he very often shots the puck right into goalies chest.

But darm me if he doesn't put it on the net every single chance he gets.
Are we watching the same guy? He shoots every single chance he gets, but many of those shots are NOT on net! But you could see how relieved the guy was in the post game interview. Hell yes, Purcell Kopitar and Brownie scored. That has to be a good thing, . . . and oh yeah, we got 2 points, from a divisional rival no less!

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 11:18 AM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
Quote:
or perhaps you suffer from selective perception?

I predict if you keep this up you are going to end up on a lot of people's ignore lists and eventually start talking to yourself.

Gentle Ben Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 11:25 AM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz Reinhold View Post
If you didn't see it last night, then you just never will.
Ugh, see what?

Old
12-10-2009, 11:34 AM
The Big Giant Head

vCash: 50
Finally Brownie and Kopi get goals!! Regardless of how well they've been playing minus scoring i was getting frustrated for them, such a relief to see that last night.

I think everyone played a great game with special mention of course to what a stud Doughty is. For the first time in years the Kings are finally bringing good offense, defense and goaltending together instead of have one, the other or none of the above.

i <3 this team!

PS...i'm with Zad...sharks fan have always been extremely classy and out of every other team in the league they're really at the top.

The Big Giant Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 11:45 AM
CTKingsFan
6/11/12 & 6/13/14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123slam View Post
Yeah no one has really mentioned our PK tonight. It was pretty damn impressive. I think we're starting to get the hang of it. That 4on3 to 5on3 to 5on4 kill in the 2nd was HUGE.

GO KINGS!!!!

I mentioned in the game thread that i really like the addition of Brad Richardson on the PK. He's an excellent defensive forward, and with his speed lurking on the top of the PK that puts a lot pressure on the others teams PP point men.

CTKingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 11:47 AM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
Does Purcell start rebounding now?

Or is this just the last act of a desperate man

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 11:57 AM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughty Number 8 View Post
Does Purcell start rebounding now?

Or is this just the last act of a desperate man
Is this really what he needs?

Old
12-10-2009, 11:58 AM
aegwillnotwinthecup*

Stop quoting JT Dutch. I have the him on ignore for a reason.

Phenomenal win for the Kings. I can't say much more than what's already been said. Doughty is the best hockey player to wear a Kings' sweater since Gretzky himself. There, I said it.

aegwillnotwinthecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 12:04 PM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post
Is this really what he needs?
it couldn't hurt

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 12:12 PM
Fropitar

I just want to mention Simmonds play last night. He was solid again. Had a couple nice moves with the puck. He has been consistantly driving to the net. He is one hell of a beast on the forecheck. Just wanted to give him props since he seems as though his efforts had been overshadowed by brown/kopi/purcell snapping their droughts.

Fropitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 12:14 PM
Brad Doty
Compliance Hero

vCash: 250
I'm am a HUGE Williams fan...and he made a bunch of good plays last night...but he was definitely fighting the puck more than usual. That's all I'm really going to say about that. Carry on!

Edit: oh, that and I was extremely pleased with the team tenacity last night. They wouldn't give the Sharks breathing room. It reminded me of the Philly game when it just seemed like we couldn't get our feet moving, when really, you just have to credit the other team for hustling and initiating a check before a player can take a step. Everyone in the lineup last night gets credit for this. which is the best part!

Brad Doty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 12:39 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

vCash: 3733
Quote:
Dude, are you trying to meet your quota for making enemies on this board?

Hey, regardless of what others think, I still think you're a solid poster and I agree with you more than disagree. However, like someone said, there's time to agree to disagree and let it go.

My personal feeling on JW is he's pretty much how I feel about Brownie. They are both solid and can be a 1st line guy or a 2nd line player. I suppose they could both play on the 3rd line as well if we were that deep which we aren't.

C'mon! Kings are winning and more importantly, Purcell, Brown and Kopi all broke their goal scoring droughts.

Go Kings Go! Go Kings Go! Go Kings Go!

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 12:45 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Anybody else think DL needs to get Doughty a 6yr $30M+ extension this offseason?

Back to the game, with the backup going(unless its a really good team) is like having your 5th starter going in baseball, you'll take the W anyway you can get it.

Last edited by KopitarFAN: 12-10-2009 at 12:52 PM.
KopitarFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 12:54 PM
ibleedkings
Is this real?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KopitarFAN View Post
Anybody think DL needs to get Doughty a 6yr $30M+ extension this offseason?

Back to the game, with the backup going(unless its a really good team) is like having your 5th starter going in baseball, you'll take the W anyway you can get it.

I'd actually like to see 10+ years or more. Hell if you sign him to a 15 year deal, he's only 35-36 when it ends. A 6 year deal would be fine, but can you even think when Doughty is 26 what some team would be willing to pay for him??? I say lock him up long term at a nice cap hit, something like 15yr 82m.

Last edited by ibleedkings: 12-10-2009 at 01:01 PM.
ibleedkings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 12:54 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

vCash: 3733
Quote:
Originally Posted by KopitarFAN View Post
Anybody else think DL needs to get Doughty a 6yr $30M+ extension this offseason?

A blank check should suffice.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 01:02 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmeh View Post
Great win, I fell asleep durin first intermission.

Btw, did Telos get stuck in the snow?
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmeh View Post
But still, how was the snow?
It was a wild night. Nothing Hangover worthy though

Didn't get back till like 2 am, and by then I was too blazed to really say much other than my follow-up to Tony's post. But yeah, the snow was pretty crazy, didn't battle it on the way back - took a cab - inspiration Heidi Androl A friend is picking me up in a few minutes to drop me off at my car then onward to a dentist appointment for some fillings >.<

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote