HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

John Tortorella Approval Rating (All Things Tortorella Here)

View Poll Results: Do you approve of the coaching job done by John Tortorella?
Strongly Approve Doing an excellent job 17 6.75%
Approve Needs improvement 106 42.06%
Disapprove Needs lots of improvement 102 40.48%
Strongly Disapprove Fire him 27 10.71%
Voters: 252. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-10-2009, 02:54 PM
chosen

vCash: 500
Torts suffers from the same disease as Renney did:

Abysmal personnel.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 02:59 PM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Torts suffers from the same disease as Renney did:

Abysmal personnel.
The main difference is two-fold: Tortorella has a better team than Renney did; Tortorella refuses to play to the teams strengths and spites the personnel by doing it his way.

Like it or not, this team was built to win 2-1, 3-2 games, not 4-2, 5-1 games.

abev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 03:01 PM
Kind of Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
While I don't (necessarily) agree with the "he'll never be able to do that" part, I agree with the rest of the post. Very well said. The team, as constructed, is not that good. But we're not nearly as bad as we've been playing so far. Consensus seemed to be that we were a 6-10 seed (or 4-12, to expand to almost all projections)--yet we're playing like a 12-15 seed... I don't find that acceptable. And we're more talented than that, even factoring in all the youth and inexperience on the roster.
Right. That's really the bottom line. The disturbing intangible is that this team just looks confused, and that's all on the coach.

Kind of Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 03:17 PM
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3hg00se View Post
Show me where Lecavalier says he never wants to play for him ever again?
Seriously... did you follow that situation at all? If Vinny got traded here, then he would have a heart attack...

Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 03:42 PM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
http://www.rangercrisis.com/
Listen the show about a hr in when Mitch Beck a professional writer who covers the Wolfpack states that Vinny has stated publicly he doesn't like Torts and will not play for him again. I have much better things to do with my life then spend time on here explaining my posts to certain posters. I have a lot of friends who play or have played for teams in the NHL I don't need to B.S. on a message board

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 03:53 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
Lecavalier has stated in public he hates Torts and doesn't want to play for him ever again. Torts is a horrible in game coach and if because he called 1 good time out in thirty games makes him great then you better raise your bar, Hank Hate him and little inklings are starting to surface and trust me Hank will be here long after Torts is fired. I am saying I told you so and if that makes me off my rocker then so be it
Care to elaborate on the "Hank Hate him" comment? Would be interesting to hear some specifics on this.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 03:58 PM
beastly115

Not a fan of Torts as a coach, but IMO, it's not all his fault.

It's a combination of a lot of things. The players not giving a full effort. The wrong mix of players. Certain players not playing up to par.

The blame lies on Sather, Torts, and the players. The whole organization is a mess, top to bottom.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 04:00 PM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
they don't speak any longer Torts sends messages to Hank through the coaches and Hank is only talking to Benoit Allaire and relays to Torts.

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 04:02 PM
King of cool
The winning hat

I go with a moderate approval here. It was certain from the start we won't be a contender this season, Torts was not going to transform this team in one day. One step at a time, you can't build a contender in one season/summer. Can't cay I'm thrilled by the recent results, but we have some bright days ahead with some promising young players in the making. Patience. But yeah I have to question Torts "in your face" coaching with nothing to back it up. We have a pitiful team right now.

King of cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 04:05 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
they don't speak any longer Torts sends messages to Hank through the coaches and Hank is only talking to Benoit Allaire and relays to Torts.
Sure seems like a great way to alienate your team. Not being on speaking terms with your all-star goaltender. Excellent. That's the kind of crap that turns players against you and gets coaches fired.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 04:10 PM
FLYLine24*

The team is brutal...definitely needs improvement but i'll hold off another two months and see where we are out before I disapprove of him.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 04:18 PM
NYR_32

Tom Renney flat out said the Rangers last year were going to win games 1-0, 2-1. That hasn't changed, but Torts doesn't seem to get that... yet. Hopefully he realizes that before it's too late.

NYR_32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 04:18 PM
BlueShirts88
Section 208 Row 15

Send a message via AIM to BlueShirts88
I voted Disapprove, but I'm about 1 or 2 more losses away from FIRE HIM

12-10-2009, 04:26 PM
Vito Andolini

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR_32 View Post
Tom Renney flat out said the Rangers last year were going to win games 1-0, 2-1. That hasn't changed, but Torts doesn't seem to get that... yet. Hopefully he realizes that before it's too late.
For what purpose, exactly? How is winning games 1-0, or 2-1, or 3-2, with a good portion of those wins coming in the shoot-out, make you a good team?

Vito Andolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 04:43 PM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3hg00se View Post
1.The bullying is what we asked for.
2.I have no clue what that even means.
3,He is a great coach during the game, he calls great time outs, and puts the right players on the ice at the right time.
4.He has more personality than any coach here since Keenan
5.He hasn't lost the team, there is just barely a team to have
6.It's impossible to judge that
7.It's the team in front of him, no one can coach this abomination
8.Are you kidding? That's just childish. You're a grown man.
9.He has too, he has benched Rozsival in more than one game. How quickly you forget.
10.His former players loved him. St. Louis, Lecavalier, and Richards all said that Torts made them much better players and he was a great coach. One of the main reasons Prospal signed here was to play under Torts.
Goose, I am in awe of your optimism regarding everything Rangers. If someone new to hockey didn't watch any Ranger games and only read your posts they would think we were in the middle of a dynasty. I'm not sure if your optimism is from being young and the Rangers haven't had an opportunity to break your soul down yet. Whatever it is, stay gold Ponyboy.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 04:47 PM
NYR_32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito Andolini View Post
For what purpose, exactly? How is winning games 1-0, or 2-1, or 3-2, with a good portion of those wins coming in the shoot-out, make you a good team?
No it doesn't make you a great team, or a very good team, but it can get you to the playoffs. San Jose was a great team last year, in the regular season. Playoffs? Not so much. So did it really matter how they won their games?

When you have a goalie like Hank and star like Gaborik, or in Renney's case Jagr, anything can happen in the playoffs. If two players of that caliber get hot, they can carry you far. I'm really not a fan of tanking for the sake of a draft pick.

NYR_32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 06:26 PM
McMonster

Its not the coach, its the GM.

McMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 06:35 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito Andolini View Post
***Raises hand***

Because its better than losing

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 06:48 PM
broadwayblue

Approve. I think we need to give him a little time to get the right guys in his system. Unfortunately he has almost no talent to work with.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 08:21 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

I dont agree with everything Dagoon says about Torts, but he has opened my eyes to some things.

When they canned Renney and brought in Torts i was ecstatic, im not going to lie. When they got off to the 7-1 start I thought everything was going according to the plan. I still think this team has more to give, but up to this point, mainly as of late with the slump - there are things im seeing from Tortorella that i did not expect.

Dagoon is correct in saying that Tortorella isnt a great hockey mind, and that his in game adjustments are poor. It looks as if hell make a general scheme for the game and he stick with that, even if its apparent its not working or a subtle adjustment could be made to benefit the club. Granted he hasnt had much to work with, but its up to the coach to do what works best and squeeze the most he can out his club. Gotta admit im a little disappointed in this area.

Last night I heard something that bothered me as well. In the postgame Torts said the team stunk (how many times have we heard that?) and that Hank and the 4th line were the only ones competing. Well if that was the case, how come he didnt give the 4th line more ice time? This is a guy who is supposedly all about accountability, yet he displays it when its convenient for the situation. He basically contradicted himself. (Renney was a master at this as well and it drove me nuts so I have to throw it out here too) They needed some sort of forecheck to keep the puck away from the Hawks last night and the 4th line was the only ones supplying it. Even if they sucked on paper, give them more time in the third (and not 1/4 shifts) to see if they could at least play keepaway to kill time.

Also, there comes a point when the captain has to come under fire from the coach, and once he exhausts that, the blame has to start turning inward. I'd like to see Torts take a little more of the heat and put the onus on himself, even if he has a ****** team in front of him. But I do think this team is better than this, i do - its there somewhere.

Also, the conditioning? Where did it go?

What this team needs is a hybrid of Renney and Torts. Someone with the saavy media presence and hockey mind paired with the motivational and hard ass attitude. PRoblem is neither of them have any clue about in game management. Torts presses the envelope too much at times, and Renney didnt do it enough.

But its a long season, and im not going to vote on this right now because theres still time to evaluate IMO. 12 games in im sure the majority of this board would vote approve.

I also think this season hasnt been the luckiest for the Rangers. They havent been getting the bounces and i think there were a handful of games that had things gone the other way, they could have a totally different record right now. I thought they played well in games like Calgary but came up empty. Tons of posts being hit and subtl plays going awry leading to goals against. Crusher goals like those against Detroit and Pittsburgh in two well played games a s well. If it wasnt the offense sucking it up, it was the defense, or the goaltending. Its seems like if they could have gotten it to work in unison for a few games they probably would be up in above the playoff line right now.

But they are not. And i think part of it has to do with youth, and part of it with the construction of the team, injuries and turnover. For the 3rd consecutive season theyve had a large turnover of the roster and two separate coaching staffs to boot. Thats not easy. You are essentially trying to catch lightning in a bottle and its not easy to do. Too many question marks and not enough sure things. Too many pieces in a disfigured puzzle thrown together peacemeal because of a shoddy cap foundation. This falls on Sather, who is the root of all of these problems.

Who the hell knows. This is what its like to be a Rangers fan, we just have to live with it and just keep on believing.

Last edited by HockeyBasedNYC: 12-10-2009 at 08:36 PM.
HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 08:29 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

in Torts I trust.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 08:47 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
I
Last night I heard something that bothered me as well. In the postgame Torts said the team stunk (how many times have we heard that?) and that Hank and the 4th line were the only ones competing. Well if that was the case, how come he didnt give the 4th line more ice time? This is a guy who is supposedly all about accountability, yet he displays it when its convenient for the situation. He basically contradicted himself. (Renney was a master at this as well and it drove me nuts so I have to throw it out here too) They needed some sort of forecheck to keep the puck away from the Hawks last night and the 4th line was the only ones supplying it. Even if they sucked on paper, give them more time in the third (and not 1/4 shifts) to see if they could at least play keepaway to kill time.
Well, to be fair, if the 4th line was getting more shifts than the top line in the 3rd period, some fans would be up in arms. This was one of the major criticisms of Renney, that he would utilize his 4th line too much in the 3rd period.

I do think that the 4th line played well last night and deserved more ice time, but the 3rd period was practically a Rangers parade to the penalty box. The ice allocation was very uneven, with the PKers getting most of the ice time (Drury, Cally, and Higgins had the most minutes out of any forwards in the 3rd due to the PK). Unfortunately, the 4th line and other non-PKers couldn't play as much due to the Rangers' lack of discipline.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 08:55 PM
Emptyvoid

My opinion? Torts will take us farther than Renney ever did....even if that means missing a season of the playoffs.

This is a really young team, on the defense and offense. Not everything is going to click, not enough to get us into the playoffs more than likely.

Edit: And I also think its worthless to consider what Renney could have possibly done with this team for the simple reason that they had already tuned him out. He wasn't going to get much out of the team, the change was necessary.

And with regards to not being the greatest hockey mind.....well we kinda knew that when we brought him in but I'm sorry he had to be doing something right to win a cup and the coach of the year award.....those types of accomplishments don't come by accident regardless of the team you ice.

Emptyvoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 09:02 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
Well, to be fair, if the 4th line was getting more shifts than the top line in the 3rd period, some fans would be up in arms. This was one of the major criticisms of Renney, that he would utilize his 4th line too much in the 3rd period.

I do think that the 4th line played well last night and deserved more ice time, but the 3rd period was practically a Rangers parade to the penalty box. The ice allocation was very uneven, with the PKers getting most of the ice time (Drury, Cally, and Higgins had the most minutes out of any forwards in the 3rd due to the PK). Unfortunately, the 4th line and other non-PKers couldn't play as much due to the Rangers' lack of discipline.
Thats true good point, the penalties did kill it in the third.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 09:08 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianRangersFan View Post
My opinion? Torts will take us farther than Renney ever did....even if that means missing a season of the playoffs.
Then that wouldn't be as far as Renney took them.

The ONLY thing that would turn this team around in one season to go "further then Renney ever did" is if they some how miraculously get Kovalchuk.

Because: Gaborik+Kovalchuck+Lundqvist = Malkin+Crosby+Fleury = Ovechkin+Semin+Varlamov = Datsyuk+Zetterberg+Osgood...

I really don't see any other way to turn this team from this, joke, to a contender in less then a year.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote