HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

John Tortorella Approval Rating (All Things Tortorella Here)

View Poll Results: Do you approve of the coaching job done by John Tortorella?
Strongly Approve Doing an excellent job 17 6.75%
Approve Needs improvement 106 42.06%
Disapprove Needs lots of improvement 102 40.48%
Strongly Disapprove Fire him 27 10.71%
Voters: 252. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-12-2009, 12:41 PM
Vito Andolini

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Failure By Design View Post
Gotta step in and defend Dagoon here a bit, Mara is a solid D-Man and we could use him on this team don't forget he was a pretty good leader and team guy. Torts didn't get along with Mara in TB so it isn't a surprise he wasn't brought back.

I don't care for Orr but he did more as an enforcer for this team than Brashear has, and Brashear is looking washed up.

I'd rather have Betts at 4c than Christensen but it's a moot point our fourth line isn't the problem so it doesn't matter, oh and Sjostrom still sucks...
Regarding Mara...I liked him. He brought something different to D and it's definitely missing now. BUT, 2 things...1. You can only dress 6 defensemen at a time. Staal, Girardi, Redden & Roszival were guaranteed a roster spot. For the last 2 spots, we'd already signed Gilroy to a 1.75M contract and everyone expected Sanguinetti, Del Zotto, Potter, Sauer, etc to compete for another spot. There just wasn't any room for Mara and it was time to see what our prospects could do. And 2. Is it really necessary to pay your 5th or 6th defensemen 1.5 or more a season? I don't think so. Not when your cash strapped as it is.

Regarding the 4th line...it's a marginal part of this hockey team. They don't get much even strength time and our PK is top 10 in the NHL. Orr definitely would be an upgrade to Brashear, but they are both over paid, and I definitely wouldn't want to sign a goon to a 4 year deal.

These aren't "Torts moves". They are moves the organization took to make room for younger and/or more skilled players. The fact that it hasn't turned into points in the standings shouldn't be a surprise. The 5th defensemen and 4th line are minor parts of a hockey club.

Vito Andolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 12:52 PM
Vito Andolini

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Its an unnecessary comment. Its not at all relevant to the matter at hand.
Ignoring the fact that we don't know the question, I think his answer is very relevant to Gilroy's situation. Gilroy isn't being demoted because of a lack of skill or polish. He's being sent down because his competitiveness is not at the right level. Tortorella is challenging Gilroy to be tougher and there just isn't any way to sugar coat that.

Vito Andolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 12:57 PM
blue2noise

Disapprove

The double standard of accountability along with the inability adjust to system to fit it's players deserves nothing more.

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 12:59 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito Andolini View Post
Regarding Mara...I liked him. He brought something different to D and it's definitely missing now. BUT, 2 things...1. You can only dress 6 defensemen at a time. Staal, Girardi, Redden & Roszival were guaranteed a roster spot. For the last 2 spots, we'd already signed Gilroy to a 1.75M contract and everyone expected Sanguinetti, Del Zotto, Potter, Sauer, etc to compete for another spot. There just wasn't any room for Mara and it was time to see what our prospects could do. And 2. Is it really necessary to pay your 5th or 6th defensemen 1.5 or more a season? I don't think so. Not when your cash strapped as it is.

Regarding the 4th line...it's a marginal part of this hockey team. They don't get much even strength time and our PK is top 10 in the NHL. Orr definitely would be an upgrade to Brashear, but they are both over paid, and I definitely wouldn't want to sign a goon to a 4 year deal.

These aren't "Torts moves". They are moves the organization took to make room for younger and/or more skilled players. The fact that it hasn't turned into points in the standings shouldn't be a surprise. The 5th defensemen and 4th line are minor parts of a hockey club.
Those are "Torts Moves" he said he didn't want those guys and they didn't come back. That is fine by me like I said it's all moot because the 4th line isn't the problem with this team. The money for a guy like Mara could have been saved by not signing a guy like Kotalik... Not that any of this matters hindsight is 20/20.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 01:00 PM
OverTheCap

Paul Mara is one of the most overrated players on these boards, can we please move on and forget about him?

Yeah, it's nice that he sticks up for his teammates, but when taking ability and skill into consideration, he's just not that good.

Mara is -13 and has zero goals this year. His stats are way worse than any of the defensemen we have.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 01:04 PM
WheresBarnaby

Had nothing bad to say about Torts till his most recent moves. Why the hell are Gilroy and Vally down exactly, when offense is this teams biggest issue.

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 01:10 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
Paul Mara is one of the most overrated players on these boards, can we please move on and forget about him?

Yeah, it's nice that he sticks up for his teammates, but when taking ability and skill into consideration, he's just not that good.

Mara is -13 and has zero goals this year. His stats are way worse than any of the defensemen we have.
I am not over rating him, nor did I say we shouldn't have gotten rid of him I simply stated that his game is something this team is missing.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 03:34 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito Andolini View Post
Ignoring the fact that we don't know the question, I think his answer is very relevant to Gilroy's situation. Gilroy isn't being demoted because of a lack of skill or polish. He's being sent down because his competitiveness is not at the right level. Tortorella is challenging Gilroy to be tougher and there just isn't any way to sugar coat that.
OK. Provide me a question where "I don't give a damn" is a logical and necessary beginning to a response.

12-12-2009, 03:41 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:

THANK YOU!!!!!

Im glad im not the only one who thinks so.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 03:45 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine24 View Post
I don't think saying "I dont give a damn if he won the Hobey baker award" to the media is really treating him poorly though.

If he had said something like "I Guess Matty Gilroy thought he'd get a free pass just because he won the Hobey Baker award in college then this should be a good wake up for him" then i'd be inclined to agree.
Go ahead and keep treating Tortorella's outbursts as individual instances.

The lack of professionalism in his responses has been a hallmark of the man since he stepped onto the scene.

It'd be one thing if his demeanor led to a successful team, but how is continuing to be an ******* and throwing players under the bus through the media going to help a nosediving team?

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 03:45 PM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

Quote:

You're leaving out he had a great tough guy beard

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 03:47 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
OK. Provide me a question where "I don't give a damn" is a logical and necessary beginning to a response.
He could have said something like "I know hes a Hobey Baker Award winner and hes got a bunch of talent, but he need to improve parts of his game and Hartford is the place to do that"

There. Done. Next question

Instead its "...I dont give a damn"

Well Torts, I dont give a damn that you dont give a damn. Your job is to get this team to play better.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 03:51 PM
Kel Varnsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
He could have said something like "I know hes a Hobey Baker Award winner and hes got a bunch of talent, but he need to improve parts of his game and Hartford is the place to do that"

Well Torts, I dont give a damn that you dont give a damn. Your job is to get this team to play better.
And you can't see any way saying "I dont give a damn if he won the Hobey baker award" might motivate Gilroy to play better? Torts has strategy in the words he uses talking about his guys. He must have felt that lighting a fire under his *** was what he needed.

Old
12-12-2009, 03:52 PM
GothamRanger

Send a message via AIM to GothamRanger
Quote:
..., I dont give a damn that you dont give a damn.
LOL that is funny. That kind of reminds me when a coach told us "what kind of wannabes do you wanna be?"

GothamRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 03:53 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:

he is what he is.

just like Renney would put Ryan Hollweg in there in a crucial game against the Penguins, at a crucial point, to give him another chance, because hes such a great players coach, only to have Hollweg burn us, yet again with a hit from behind...or how Renney would play his 4th line with 3 minutes to go in a game we trail by 1 when they had scored like 6 goals all season...

no coach is perfect. deal with it.

Old
12-12-2009, 03:53 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by genericnyrusername View Post
And you can't see any way saying "I dont give a damn if he won the Hobey baker award" might motivate Gilroy to play better? Torts has strategy in the words he uses talking about his guys. He must have felt that lighting a fire under his *** was what he needed.
How? Does someone putting you down light fire under you? I would think going to Hartford would take care of that part.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 03:54 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:

That's the entire point.

"He's a Hobey Award Winner. I have high expectations of him and for him."

Done.

Old
12-12-2009, 04:02 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

maybe we can all chip in to fly Gilroys mommy to Hartford so she can tell him sticks and stones will break my bones but...you know how it goes. oh and we can buy him some tissues to use for all his tears he shed after the mean old man said those things to him....*sniff*

Old
12-12-2009, 04:04 PM
Kel Varnsen

Quote:
How? Does someone putting you down light fire under you? I would think going to Hartford would take care of that part.
Gilroy hears this quote, he thinks something like **** this guy thinking the best thing about me was my college years, I'm going to work to be a top NHL player. Torts must think that Gilroy shouldn't care what he did in college either. All that matters is who he's going to be now and in the future.

Sending him down without giving a reason would just confuse the kid.

Old
12-12-2009, 04:04 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
maybe we can all chip in to fly Gilroys mommy to Hartford so she can tell him sticks and stones will break my bones but...you know how it goes. oh and we can buy him some tissues to use for all his tears he shed after the mean old man said those things to him....*sniff*

Maybe we can fly Torts mom so she can tell him if can't say something nice about someone, don't say anything at all."

Or "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Old
12-12-2009, 04:07 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by genericnyrusername View Post
Gilroy hears this quote, he thinks something like **** this guy thinking the best thing about me was my college years, I'm going to work to be a top NHL player. Torts must think that Gilroy shouldn't care what he did in college either. All that matters is who he's going to be now and in the future.

Sending him down without giving a reason would just confuse the kid.
The reason was not that he's a Hobey Baker winner. The reasons are "he has a lot to learn about the game" and "he wants Gilroy to work on "competing". Voila, reasons.

Old
12-12-2009, 04:12 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
If you honestly believe that statement then you haven't been watching this team the last 4 weeks. Sather is a out dated moron I agree but Torts is doing a horrible job, He has Run Gaborik into the ground. Lost his star goalie and completely picked on and destroyed confidence in some of the younger guys,
Torts has done a very poor job, to date, but to think that the guy in charge of personnel has done anything less than a horrendous job is a belief that I would expect from someone who hasn't been watching this team for the last 10 years. Forget about 4 weeks.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 04:12 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Maybe we can fly Torts mom so she can tell him if can't say something nice about someone, don't say anything at all."

Or "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
how does that statement make him a fool? it would make him a fool if Gilroy didn't win the Hobey Baker award...it doesnt make him a fool, it makes him blunt, and honest.

Renney would have been all like...Gilroy is a great young man, a great family man, with a great history of great people all in his great family. hes the kind of young man i would want to go out with my daughter, in fact i offered to set him up with my daughter but being the nice, caring, loving young man that he is, he said he would rather just be friends with her at first to see if there was anything there. then i went to shake his hand and give him a hug and have a nice cry together about the poor way hes played, and we both watched The View together. I also mentioned to him that Gilly, we were thinking about maybe, if its ok with you, that we send you down to Hartford, just so you can see see how AHL hockey is played, its not like his play is lacking, I mean, it probably was something I did wrong, not him. Hes been playing great hockey, like another great man I know, Marek Malik...now that man was great, you know one time his hand was so sweaty that he didn't want to mess up my hand with it, aww shucks what a great guy, I miss him, where is he so i can put him out there to screw up...err, to hold a lead against the Sabres again...oh what's that larry? my suit? oh, it was a gift from Scott Gomez, another great young man, he said my other suits were too ordinary, and plaid was definitely the look for me....

wait...what was this topic about again?

Old
12-12-2009, 04:18 PM
Edge

Torts, in my opinion, is not the major problem.

Frankly, this team just isn't constructed very well.

This defense isn't constructed to handle his system, not with Redden,Rozy and two rookies in the lineup.

The offense just doesn't live up to its name.

Higgins has been a bust (which surprises me.)

Drury looks like a player who is seriously on the decline.

Dubinsky and Callahan, though we love them, look like they might be very good third line players and we may have to start coming to terms with that.

Kotalik is exactly what I thought he'd be.

Lisin is exactly what I thought he'd be.

This team has no left wings.

I really don't think the results would be different with another coach.

Torts has been far from perfect, but EVERYTHING would have to fall into place for this team to perform better than it has.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 04:23 PM
Kel Varnsen

Quote:
The reason was not that he's a Hobey Baker winner. The reasons are "he has a lot to learn about the game" and "he wants Gilroy to work on "competing". Voila, reasons.
Well you ignored the first part of my response... He wants to motivate him, and basically telling him winning the Hobey Baker means **** and telling him to step up might be a better way to get him to step up.