HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

John Tortorella Approval Rating (All Things Tortorella Here)

View Poll Results: Do you approve of the coaching job done by John Tortorella?
Strongly Approve Doing an excellent job 17 6.75%
Approve Needs improvement 106 42.06%
Disapprove Needs lots of improvement 102 40.48%
Strongly Disapprove Fire him 27 10.71%
Voters: 252. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-12-2009, 12:41 PM
  #101
Vito Andolini
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 923
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Failure By Design View Post
Gotta step in and defend Dagoon here a bit, Mara is a solid D-Man and we could use him on this team don't forget he was a pretty good leader and team guy. Torts didn't get along with Mara in TB so it isn't a surprise he wasn't brought back.

I don't care for Orr but he did more as an enforcer for this team than Brashear has, and Brashear is looking washed up.

I'd rather have Betts at 4c than Christensen but it's a moot point our fourth line isn't the problem so it doesn't matter, oh and Sjostrom still sucks...
Regarding Mara...I liked him. He brought something different to D and it's definitely missing now. BUT, 2 things...1. You can only dress 6 defensemen at a time. Staal, Girardi, Redden & Roszival were guaranteed a roster spot. For the last 2 spots, we'd already signed Gilroy to a 1.75M contract and everyone expected Sanguinetti, Del Zotto, Potter, Sauer, etc to compete for another spot. There just wasn't any room for Mara and it was time to see what our prospects could do. And 2. Is it really necessary to pay your 5th or 6th defensemen 1.5 or more a season? I don't think so. Not when your cash strapped as it is.

Regarding the 4th line...it's a marginal part of this hockey team. They don't get much even strength time and our PK is top 10 in the NHL. Orr definitely would be an upgrade to Brashear, but they are both over paid, and I definitely wouldn't want to sign a goon to a 4 year deal.

These aren't "Torts moves". They are moves the organization took to make room for younger and/or more skilled players. The fact that it hasn't turned into points in the standings shouldn't be a surprise. The 5th defensemen and 4th line are minor parts of a hockey club.

Vito Andolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 12:52 PM
  #102
Vito Andolini
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 923
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Its an unnecessary comment. Its not at all relevant to the matter at hand.
Ignoring the fact that we don't know the question, I think his answer is very relevant to Gilroy's situation. Gilroy isn't being demoted because of a lack of skill or polish. He's being sent down because his competitiveness is not at the right level. Tortorella is challenging Gilroy to be tougher and there just isn't any way to sugar coat that.

Vito Andolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 12:57 PM
  #103
blue2noise
Registered User
 
blue2noise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,487
vCash: 500
Disapprove

The double standard of accountability along with the inability adjust to system to fit it's players deserves nothing more.

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 12:59 PM
  #104
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke
 
Barbara Underhill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montana
Country: United States
Posts: 13,204
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito Andolini View Post
Regarding Mara...I liked him. He brought something different to D and it's definitely missing now. BUT, 2 things...1. You can only dress 6 defensemen at a time. Staal, Girardi, Redden & Roszival were guaranteed a roster spot. For the last 2 spots, we'd already signed Gilroy to a 1.75M contract and everyone expected Sanguinetti, Del Zotto, Potter, Sauer, etc to compete for another spot. There just wasn't any room for Mara and it was time to see what our prospects could do. And 2. Is it really necessary to pay your 5th or 6th defensemen 1.5 or more a season? I don't think so. Not when your cash strapped as it is.

Regarding the 4th line...it's a marginal part of this hockey team. They don't get much even strength time and our PK is top 10 in the NHL. Orr definitely would be an upgrade to Brashear, but they are both over paid, and I definitely wouldn't want to sign a goon to a 4 year deal.

These aren't "Torts moves". They are moves the organization took to make room for younger and/or more skilled players. The fact that it hasn't turned into points in the standings shouldn't be a surprise. The 5th defensemen and 4th line are minor parts of a hockey club.
Those are "Torts Moves" he said he didn't want those guys and they didn't come back. That is fine by me like I said it's all moot because the 4th line isn't the problem with this team. The money for a guy like Mara could have been saved by not signing a guy like Kotalik... Not that any of this matters hindsight is 20/20.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 01:00 PM
  #105
OverTheCap
Registered User
 
OverTheCap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 9,781
vCash: 500
Paul Mara is one of the most overrated players on these boards, can we please move on and forget about him?

Yeah, it's nice that he sticks up for his teammates, but when taking ability and skill into consideration, he's just not that good.

Mara is -13 and has zero goals this year. His stats are way worse than any of the defensemen we have.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 01:04 PM
  #106
WheresBarnaby
Registered User
 
WheresBarnaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 2,607
vCash: 500
Had nothing bad to say about Torts till his most recent moves. Why the hell are Gilroy and Vally down exactly, when offense is this teams biggest issue.

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 01:10 PM
  #107
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke
 
Barbara Underhill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montana
Country: United States
Posts: 13,204
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
Paul Mara is one of the most overrated players on these boards, can we please move on and forget about him?

Yeah, it's nice that he sticks up for his teammates, but when taking ability and skill into consideration, he's just not that good.

Mara is -13 and has zero goals this year. His stats are way worse than any of the defensemen we have.
I am not over rating him, nor did I say we shouldn't have gotten rid of him I simply stated that his game is something this team is missing.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 03:34 PM
  #108
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 30,022
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito Andolini View Post
Ignoring the fact that we don't know the question, I think his answer is very relevant to Gilroy's situation. Gilroy isn't being demoted because of a lack of skill or polish. He's being sent down because his competitiveness is not at the right level. Tortorella is challenging Gilroy to be tougher and there just isn't any way to sugar coat that.
OK. Provide me a question where "I don't give a damn" is a logical and necessary beginning to a response.

__________________
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 03:41 PM
  #109
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 20,258
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
Paul Mara is one of the most overrated players on these boards, can we please move on and forget about him?

Yeah, it's nice that he sticks up for his teammates, but when taking ability and skill into consideration, he's just not that good.

Mara is -13 and has zero goals this year. His stats are way worse than any of the defensemen we have.
THANK YOU!!!!!

Im glad im not the only one who thinks so.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 03:45 PM
  #110
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 15,111
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine24 View Post
I don't think saying "I dont give a damn if he won the Hobey baker award" to the media is really treating him poorly though.

If he had said something like "I Guess Matty Gilroy thought he'd get a free pass just because he won the Hobey Baker award in college then this should be a good wake up for him" then i'd be inclined to agree.
Go ahead and keep treating Tortorella's outbursts as individual instances.

The lack of professionalism in his responses has been a hallmark of the man since he stepped onto the scene.

It'd be one thing if his demeanor led to a successful team, but how is continuing to be an ******* and throwing players under the bus through the media going to help a nosediving team?

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 03:45 PM
  #111
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart
 
Kel Varnsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,137
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
Paul Mara is one of the most overrated players on these boards, can we please move on and forget about him?

Yeah, it's nice that he sticks up for his teammates, but when taking ability and skill into consideration, he's just not that good.

Mara is -13 and has zero goals this year. His stats are way worse than any of the defensemen we have.
You're leaving out he had a great tough guy beard

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 03:47 PM
  #112
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 15,111
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
OK. Provide me a question where "I don't give a damn" is a logical and necessary beginning to a response.
He could have said something like "I know hes a Hobey Baker Award winner and hes got a bunch of talent, but he need to improve parts of his game and Hartford is the place to do that"

There. Done. Next question

Instead its "...I dont give a damn"

Well Torts, I dont give a damn that you dont give a damn. Your job is to get this team to play better.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 03:51 PM
  #113
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart
 
Kel Varnsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,137
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
He could have said something like "I know hes a Hobey Baker Award winner and hes got a bunch of talent, but he need to improve parts of his game and Hartford is the place to do that"

There. Done. Next question

Instead its "...I dont give a damn"

Well Torts, I dont give a damn that you dont give a damn. Your job is to get this team to play better.
And you can't see any way saying "I dont give a damn if he won the Hobey baker award" might motivate Gilroy to play better? Torts has strategy in the words he uses talking about his guys. He must have felt that lighting a fire under his *** was what he needed.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 03:52 PM
  #114
GothamRanger
Registered User
 
GothamRanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Chicago, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,017
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to GothamRanger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
..., I dont give a damn that you dont give a damn.
LOL that is funny. That kind of reminds me when a coach told us "what kind of wannabes do you wanna be?"

GothamRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 03:53 PM
  #115
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 20,258
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
He could have said something like "I know hes a Hobey Baker Award winner and hes got a bunch of talent, but he need to improve parts of his game and Hartford is the place to do that"

There. Done. Next question

Instead its "...I dont give a damn"

Well Torts, I dont give a damn that you dont give a damn. Your job is to get this team to play better.
he is what he is.

just like Renney would put Ryan Hollweg in there in a crucial game against the Penguins, at a crucial point, to give him another chance, because hes such a great players coach, only to have Hollweg burn us, yet again with a hit from behind...or how Renney would play his 4th line with 3 minutes to go in a game we trail by 1 when they had scored like 6 goals all season...

no coach is perfect. deal with it.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 03:53 PM
  #116
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 30,022
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by genericnyrusername View Post
And you can't see any way saying "I dont give a damn if he won the Hobey baker award" might motivate Gilroy to play better? Torts has strategy in the words he uses talking about his guys. He must have felt that lighting a fire under his *** was what he needed.
How? Does someone putting you down light fire under you? I would think going to Hartford would take care of that part.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 03:54 PM
  #117
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 30,022
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
He could have said something like "I know hes a Hobey Baker Award winner and hes got a bunch of talent, but he need to improve parts of his game and Hartford is the place to do that"

There. Done. Next question

Instead its "...I dont give a damn"

Well Torts, I dont give a damn that you dont give a damn. Your job is to get this team to play better.

That's the entire point.

"He's a Hobey Award Winner. I have high expectations of him and for him."

Done.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 04:02 PM
  #118
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 20,258
vCash: 500
maybe we can all chip in to fly Gilroys mommy to Hartford so she can tell him sticks and stones will break my bones but...you know how it goes. oh and we can buy him some tissues to use for all his tears he shed after the mean old man said those things to him....*sniff*

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 04:04 PM
  #119
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart
 
Kel Varnsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,137
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
How? Does someone putting you down light fire under you? I would think going to Hartford would take care of that part.
Gilroy hears this quote, he thinks something like **** this guy thinking the best thing about me was my college years, I'm going to work to be a top NHL player. Torts must think that Gilroy shouldn't care what he did in college either. All that matters is who he's going to be now and in the future.

Sending him down without giving a reason would just confuse the kid.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 04:04 PM
  #120
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 30,022
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
maybe we can all chip in to fly Gilroys mommy to Hartford so she can tell him sticks and stones will break my bones but...you know how it goes. oh and we can buy him some tissues to use for all his tears he shed after the mean old man said those things to him....*sniff*

Maybe we can fly Torts mom so she can tell him if can't say something nice about someone, don't say anything at all."

Or "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 04:07 PM
  #121
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 30,022
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by genericnyrusername View Post
Gilroy hears this quote, he thinks something like **** this guy thinking the best thing about me was my college years, I'm going to work to be a top NHL player. Torts must think that Gilroy shouldn't care what he did in college either. All that matters is who he's going to be now and in the future.

Sending him down without giving a reason would just confuse the kid.
The reason was not that he's a Hobey Baker winner. The reasons are "he has a lot to learn about the game" and "he wants Gilroy to work on "competing". Voila, reasons.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 04:12 PM
  #122
chosen
Registered User
 
chosen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,710
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
If you honestly believe that statement then you haven't been watching this team the last 4 weeks. Sather is a out dated moron I agree but Torts is doing a horrible job, He has Run Gaborik into the ground. Lost his star goalie and completely picked on and destroyed confidence in some of the younger guys,
Torts has done a very poor job, to date, but to think that the guy in charge of personnel has done anything less than a horrendous job is a belief that I would expect from someone who hasn't been watching this team for the last 10 years. Forget about 4 weeks.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 04:12 PM
  #123
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 20,258
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Maybe we can fly Torts mom so she can tell him if can't say something nice about someone, don't say anything at all."

Or "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
how does that statement make him a fool? it would make him a fool if Gilroy didn't win the Hobey Baker award...it doesnt make him a fool, it makes him blunt, and honest.

Renney would have been all like...Gilroy is a great young man, a great family man, with a great history of great people all in his great family. hes the kind of young man i would want to go out with my daughter, in fact i offered to set him up with my daughter but being the nice, caring, loving young man that he is, he said he would rather just be friends with her at first to see if there was anything there. then i went to shake his hand and give him a hug and have a nice cry together about the poor way hes played, and we both watched The View together. I also mentioned to him that Gilly, we were thinking about maybe, if its ok with you, that we send you down to Hartford, just so you can see see how AHL hockey is played, its not like his play is lacking, I mean, it probably was something I did wrong, not him. Hes been playing great hockey, like another great man I know, Marek Malik...now that man was great, you know one time his hand was so sweaty that he didn't want to mess up my hand with it, aww shucks what a great guy, I miss him, where is he so i can put him out there to screw up...err, to hold a lead against the Sabres again...oh what's that larry? my suit? oh, it was a gift from Scott Gomez, another great young man, he said my other suits were too ordinary, and plaid was definitely the look for me....



wait...what was this topic about again?

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 04:18 PM
  #124
Edge
Registered User
 
Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sin City
Country: United States
Posts: 13,196
vCash: 500
Torts, in my opinion, is not the major problem.

Frankly, this team just isn't constructed very well.

This defense isn't constructed to handle his system, not with Redden,Rozy and two rookies in the lineup.

The offense just doesn't live up to its name.

Higgins has been a bust (which surprises me.)

Drury looks like a player who is seriously on the decline.

Dubinsky and Callahan, though we love them, look like they might be very good third line players and we may have to start coming to terms with that.

Kotalik is exactly what I thought he'd be.

Lisin is exactly what I thought he'd be.

This team has no left wings.

I really don't think the results would be different with another coach.

Torts has been far from perfect, but EVERYTHING would have to fall into place for this team to perform better than it has.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 04:23 PM
  #125
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart
 
Kel Varnsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,137
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
The reason was not that he's a Hobey Baker winner. The reasons are "he has a lot to learn about the game" and "he wants Gilroy to work on "competing". Voila, reasons.
Well you ignored the first part of my response... He wants to motivate him, and basically telling him winning the Hobey Baker means **** and telling him to step up might be a better way to get him to step up.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:10 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.