HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Its gameday, whats your workout?

Old
12-10-2009, 08:33 PM
Hobgoblin Steve
Bacon of Light

vCash: 500
Its gameday, whats your workout?

I play beer league (inline beer league!) and I go to the gym 3 or 4 times a week. When I go I target body areas (chest/arms for example- no cardio, I do cardio elsewhere) and on game day sometimes I wont go at all even though it would fall on a game day. Ive got a 6 45 start tomorrow and my question is; What is an Ideal workout on a game day? Legs? Upperbody?

Hobgoblin Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 09:03 PM
noobman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobgoblin Steve View Post
I play beer league (inline beer league!) and I go to the gym 3 or 4 times a week. When I go I target body areas (chest/arms for example- no cardio, I do cardio elsewhere) and on game day sometimes I wont go at all even though it would fall on a game day. Ive got a 6 45 start tomorrow and my question is; What is an Ideal workout on a game day? Legs? Upperbody?
A few hours before the game I like to do some pullups, pushups, and situps after some light jump rope.

I find that by doing that, I'm ready to go all-out right after the pre-game warmup. If I don't, it takes me a few shifts to get going.

I would probably avoid doing any strenuous leg work on gameday, since you'll probably just tire your muscles out. I used to go running before games last year, but I found that by the third period my legs would be like linguine.

If you *really* want, you can work out after the game.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 02:29 AM
FootKnight
This ****ing team

I do a bunch of twelve ounce curls while watching any afternoon games (our games are on Sundays), then do some more in the locker room while getting dressed.

FootKnight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 11:14 AM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

I go to the gym usually 6 times a week and I play on 3 beer league teams...so I can't afford to just skip not going to the gym on game days (id never go to the gym then).

I usually do a normal workout except i'll never do a leg workout on game days or the day before a game.

On game days after my workout I do ride the stationary bike for about 5 minutes (not hard or all out by any means)..just to get the blood flowing in my legs for my game usually 2-3 hours away. Started doing that a few months ago and I feel it helps.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 01:29 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
I've found I feel better when I work out directly before leaving for the rink. Try to give myself 30 minutes to an hour, ride the bike for 7 minutes to warm up and just do one or 2 sets to hit my entire body. Not really a workout more of a wakeup session. I usually feel more awake and ready to play since my muscles are ready to do more than what I did at the gym.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote