HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

ATD 12 Milt Dunnell Cup Final: Tidewater Sharks vs. Detroit Falcons

Old
12-12-2009, 11:03 AM
MadArcand
Whaletarded

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by God Bless Canada View Post
Leadership isn't overrated. In fact, Tidewater has a room loaded with great leaders - Delvecchio, Gainey, Tocchet, Chelios, Pronovost among them.
Well said.

I kept selecting Chelios and Gainey in Tidewater series when it came to series' stars, and was baffled when Jagr always made it instead. With the teams Tidewater faced, Jagr wouldn't have been the difference maker. He wouldn't shut down Richard, he wouldn't beat Gretzky & Kurri. Oh well...

MadArcand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 02:15 PM
EagleBelfour

Thanks Hedberg for the infos on the Russians!

People have talked a lot about Jagr, but he's only part of the solution if the Tidewaters wanna win the Milt Dunnell Cup. A lot of interesting matchup will decide the faith of either team:

- 1st line confrontation: Will the Krauts line be able to stop the Goulet-Delvecchio-Jagr line?

- 2nd line confrontation: The Detroit Falcons will have to use the big edge they have in this confrontation if they want to win games.

- Defense vs. defense: Chris Chelios is definitely the best defenseman in this series, but the Falcons mostly have an edge in term of depth.

- Depth players: I appreciate more the Tidewater fourth line trio now, you know me, I like reuniting lines . However are they better than a Harry Oliver - Buddy O'Connor duo? Drinkwater vs. Duncan, Goheen vs. McDonald?

- Goaltending duels: Terry Sawchuk vs. Tony Esposito is a mismatch against the Tidewater Sharks. Will this be enough for the Falcons? A Delvecchio-Jagr is very dangerous, but they'll have to pass three line of defense: the Milt Schmidt-Woody Dumart duo, Lionel- Conacher and Cy Wentworth if they do that, thye still have to face the fearless Terry Sawchuk.

EagleBelfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 04:58 PM
pappyline

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadArcand View Post
Well said.

I kept selecting Chelios and Gainey in Tidewater series when it came to series' stars, and was baffled when Jagr always made it instead. With the teams Tidewater faced, Jagr wouldn't have been the difference maker. He wouldn't shut down Richard, he wouldn't beat Gretzky & Kurri. Oh well...
Maybe a split vote as it is such a balanced team. I was always picking Delvecchio & Toppazzini. Gainey & chelios are 2 of my least favorite players so i couldn't pick them.

pappyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 09:47 PM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedberg View Post
On the second line, Roy Conacher is a better scorer than Mats Naslund.
After my debate with EB, I realized that he (and others) made good points about players going to war.

Roy Conacher missed 1943, 1944, and 1945 while he was in Europe. He also played just 4 games in 1946... was this due to the war or injury in the season??

Before and after the war, Conacher was a beast. He was 2nd in goals in 1941, 1942, 1947, and 1948. It's fair to assume he would have continued a similar pace if not for the war. That gives him 8 straigh top-2 goal finishes.

For me, that puts him in the top 10 for LWs.... so it's pretty embarassing to be able to put him out on the 2nd line.

Dreakmur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 10:01 PM
jarek

I was selecting Jagr as an MVP because he would HAVE to be an MVP for Tidewater to win. Tidewater doesn't have as much offensive depth as I'd like in a team, and for the most part, Jagr would need to carry the offensive load. If Jagr isn't scoring, then Tidewater isn't winning, period. Therefore, he needs to be one of their MVPs to win. It's a pretty simple formula.

Notice I said ONE of their MVPs. Obviously he can't be the only one being the star, as this is a team game and despite how good he may have been in real life, his TEAMS didn't fare all too well. However, his teams had no chance, period, if he wasn't the offensive MVP. It's a similar situation here. I don't like Datsyuk as a second line center, I think he's a very overrated player and his defensive "accomplishments" are somewhat fictional. It is always Zetterberg getting the tough checking assignments in the playoffs especially. Add to that the relative weakness of Datsyuk's wingers here, and you have a team that relies heavily on one line to carry much of the offensive burden, and that line isn't working how it needs to be working if Jagr isn't up to the challenge. That's how I rationalized him as an MVP.

jarek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 10:29 PM
EagleBelfour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post
After my debate with EB, I realized that he (and others) made good points about players going to war.

Roy Conacher missed 1943, 1944, and 1945 while he was in Europe. He also played just 4 games in 1946... was this due to the war or injury in the season??

Before and after the war, Conacher was a beast. He was 2nd in goals in 1941, 1942, 1947, and 1948. It's fair to assume he would have continued a similar pace if not for the war. That gives him 8 straigh top-2 goal finishes.

For me, that puts him in the top 10 for LWs.... so it's pretty embarassing to be able to put him out on the 2nd line.
Yes, Roy Conacher missed the 1945-46 seasons due to the War.

That's what I also think, having a goalscorer if the quality of Roy Conacher on the 2nd line is a luxury few if any had in this draft. This make the Falcons second line a very dangerous one.

It's pretty eye popping, but looking at the goalscoring of Roy Conacher with ... Wayne Gretzky:

Goalscoring
# Name Top-2Top-5Top-10Top-15Top-20
99Wayne Gretzky57899
9 Roy Conacher 56899

... And this is while missing four years due to war.

Old
12-13-2009, 06:12 PM
Leaf Lander

Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
and the winner is...........

12-13-2009, 09:43 PM
God Bless Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Lander View Post
and the winner is...........
It's not time yet. And I might extend the deadline. (I have 14 votes from 34 eligible voters for this round. As I've said before, I'd like to have at least 50 per cent for each round, so if I get three more in the next hour and 15 minutes, I definitely won't grant an extension).

God Bless Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 10:43 PM
seventieslord

...you just got at least one more.

Good luck to both participants. It was hell voting on this series. Please don't let me be the deciding vote; I don't want that on my conscience.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 11:04 PM
vancityluongo
Twin Benning

vCash: 1070
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
...you just got at least one more.

Good luck to both participants. It was hell voting on this series. Please don't let me be the deciding vote; I don't want that on my conscience.
Agreed. I haven't been around much lately to comment, but these were two of my top three favourite teams in the draft, and I'm glad that both of you are here in the finals. What I'm not glad about is, I had to vote against one of you. Possibly the closest finals match since I've been around, IMO. Good luck to both you guys.

vancityluongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 11:56 PM
God Bless Canada

I received 16 votes. That's enough for me not to issue an extension. (One short of 50 per cent for eligible voters in this round).

LF and Nalyd had suggested write-ups. I sent them a PM to see if they're interested. If one of them can do it, results will be known, for certain, by Tuesday morning. If they can't, I'll post something more condensed on Monday afternoon.

That is, if it's all right with our finalists.

Old
12-13-2009, 11:59 PM
Leaf Lander

Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
hopefully the series finishes with a triple overtime

Last edited by Leaf Lander: 12-14-2009 at 01:34 AM.
Leaf Lander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 10:39 AM
EagleBelfour

The suspense is killing me!

Old
12-14-2009, 10:56 AM
raleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleBelfour View Post
The suspense is killing me!
Really? 'Cause I saw Hedberg earlier and seemed super relaxed.

raleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 01:39 PM
God Bless Canada

I'll be typing something up when I get home from work in three years. Won't be full write-ups. More like what I did in Round 1 - something that can be done in roughly 30 minutes.

Apologies to EB and Hedberg for the delay.

Old
12-14-2009, 01:42 PM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Bless Canada View Post
I'll be typing something up when I get home from work in three years.
I don't know if I can wait three years

Good luck with your amazingly long shift.

Last edited by Hedberg: 12-14-2009 at 01:50 PM.
Hedberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 01:42 PM
pitseleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by raleh View Post
Really? 'Cause I saw Hedberg earlier and seemed super relaxed.
That's because he got notification from Western Union that GBC had received his funds transfer this morning.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 01:56 PM
EagleBelfour

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
That's because he got notification from Western Union that GBC had received his funds transfer this morning.
And myself that bribe half the voters ... bad strategy!

I'm out in 10 minutes, I guess I'll know the results when I'll get home around midnight.

Again, congratulation Hedberg, that you win the Cup or not you had a fantastic team.

Old
12-14-2009, 04:53 PM
God Bless Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleBelfour View Post
And myself that bribe half the voters ... bad strategy!

I'm out in 10 minutes, I guess I'll know the results when I'll get home around midnight.

Again, congratulation Hedberg, that you win the Cup or not you had a fantastic team.
But at the end of the day, I'm the one who counts the votes.

I think I should have said before the playoffs that I have my price. Unfortunately, 70s and BRG are the only ones who'd be able to pay it, since I believe they're the only ones in Saskatchewan.

Old
12-14-2009, 05:21 PM
God Bless Canada

Game 1: Tidewater drew first blood in the series with a 3-2 victory on home ice. Jaromir Jagr paced the Sharks offence with a goal and an assist, including the game-winning marker a minute into the third period, but it was Chris Chelios who was the dominant force, playing more than 30 minutes and limiting the chances for Detroit centres Milt Schmidt and Duke Keats.

Game 2: Detroit tied the series at 1-1 with a 3-1 victory in Game 2. Terry Sawchuk was the story; he stopped 41 Tidewater shots, including 16 in the first period as the Sharks went on an all-out attack to try to take a 2-0 series lead. Milt Schmidt's goal two minutes into the second period broke a scoreless tie and changed the complexion of the game. Schmidt also drew an assist on a Bill Quackenbush power play goal.

Game 3: Tidewater's top line is the story as they combine for seven points in a 4-1 Sharks victory. Alex Delvecchio has a goal and two assists, Michel Goulet scores twice and Jaromir has two assists as the Sharks take a 2-1 series lead. Tidewater uses a total team effort to shut down the Falcons offensive depth. Coach Artem Chernyshev, in his broken English, describes it as a “perfect road game.”

Game 4: Detroit's second line and their goaltending shine as Detroit wins Game 4 2-0. Roy Conacher has both goals for Detroit. Terry Sawchuk makes 27 saves – the fewest shots he has faced up to this point in the series. But he makes four saves during a 42-second two-man advantage for Tidewater midway through the second period, and he makes three difficult saves in the final 90 seconds of the game.

Game 5: Tidewater's third line is the story in a 3-2 overtime win in Game 5. Bob Gainey, Pit Lepine and Jerry Toppazzini are matched up with either of Detroit's top lines throughout the night, and they manage to hold both the Schmidt and Keats lines off the scoresheet. Chris Chelios is dominant for Tidewater once again. He pots the game-winner late in the first overtime frame. He and partner Marcel Pronovost are plus-3 in the game.

Game 6: With his team facing elimination, Milt Schmidt takes over with a goal, two assists, six hits and a 24 minutes of ice time – most of them against Delvecchio's line – in a total tour de force effort as Detroit staves off elimination with a 4-3 win in Game 6. Lionel Conacher and Bobby Bauer scored in the third period to snap a 2-2 tie. Tony Esposito make 38 saves, as Detroit broke through Tidewater's defence and peppered “Espo” with pucks in an effort to stave off elimination.

Game 7: Roy Conacher scored six minutes into overtime to lift Detroit to a 3-2 victory in Game 7 of the Milt Dunnell Cup final. Conacher drove to the front of the net and scooped up the rebound from a Duke Keats shot. Prior to Conacher's goal, the game had belonged to the top lines. Bobby Bauer and Woody Dumart scored in regulation for Detroit. Jaromir Jagr had both goals for Tidewater. Jagr's second goal with 48 seconds remaining in regulation forced overtime. The goalies were great, too. Terry Sawchuk stopped 34 shots for Detroit; Tony Esposito had 31 saves for Tidewater.

The Detroit Falcons defeat the Tidewater Sharks in seven games in the Milt Dunnell Cup Final.
Three stars:
1. Jaromir Jagr/Terry Sawchuk (tied)
3. Milt Schmidt

Congratulations to Detroit for winning their first title, and to the Sharks for reaching the final and building an excellent team.

Old
12-14-2009, 05:30 PM
pitseleh

It's about time Eagle finally won one, he's no longer the Joe Thornton of the ATD (I kid, I kid!). Congrats.

This was a heckuva matchup and a really tough call. Congrats to Hedberg for making it this far as well.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 05:43 PM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
It's about time Eagle finally won one, he's no longer the Joe Thornton of the ATD (I kid, I kid!). Congrats.
Definitely. Eagle always has fantastic teams and he really deserved to win a championship.

Congratulations EB!

Old
12-14-2009, 05:57 PM
seventieslord

Excellent job, EB - it's about time you won one of these things. You put together my favourite team for three straight drafts (in the case of ATD11, I liked it better than my own!)

Great to see the ATD title go to the guy who exemplfies research, fair play, excellent player bios, and helpfulness above all else.

Hedberg - your time will come. You've come a long way from the guy who gave me an extra pick to trade Bill Barber for Syd Howe. Your teams have been considerably improved every draft, and it's scary to think of what you'll do next.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 06:18 PM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
Hedberg - your time will come. You've come a long way from the guy who gave me an extra pick to trade Bill Barber for Syd Howe. Your teams have been considerably improved every draft, and it's scary to think of what you'll do next.
Must have been a different Hedberg (the same one that picked Svatos) .

Seriously, the MLD and AAA draft really changed my outlook on the ATD and I really re-examined how I draft (it wasn't that I wasn't trying earlier, it was just that I was ignorant. I feel bad about some of the poorly researched entries I've put in before). I'm shocked I made it this far really. My goal was to finally win a round, which I more than accomplished.

Old
12-14-2009, 10:17 PM
EagleBelfour

Yes!

I would like to drink to the victory, but I've still got an an exam to go before the Christmas break.

Congratulation to Hedberg, the finalist, who was able to build a very strong team himself. Game 7 in overtime, how much closer this series could of been?

Thank You to God Bless Canada, who run the draft with diligence: I'm proud to win the championship with 16 voters voicing their opinion ... We've hit rock-bottom last draft so I'm happy to see more people following the draft in the playoffs.

Thank You to all GM's, especially the voters. Thank You to everyone who discuss and voice their opinion on various subject about the history of hockey and their players, that's how the mutual knowledge grows.

After 6 drafts, 6 regular season division championship and a lone final, I'm happy to finally win one! Yes Pitseleh, I was starting to feel like Joe Thornton (although I always considered myself as the Buffalo Bills!)

Happy holiday to everyone, hope to see all of you again in the ATD#13.