HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Nazem Kadri vs. Magnus Paajarvi-Svensson

Old
12-10-2009, 03:58 PM
Defense

vCash: 500
Nazem Kadri vs. Magnus Paajarvi-Svensson

Who would you pick?

I would take MPS any day over Kadri, and as a Leaf fan, I was disappointed when Burke didn't select him.

Does anyone have MPS's stats and scouting report on his game in the SEL? Footage would be nice too. Thank you.

Nazem Kadri is ranked 17th in the OHL for scoring. 20g 16a in 27 games.

World Juniors are coming up, and I predict MPS will be in the top 3 for points while Kadri, I hope (as a Leaf fan) gets in the top 10.

Defense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 04:01 PM
McRobbiezyg

so useless to compare them now... last i heard, mps was at about .6 ppg in the sel.

McRobbiezyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 04:03 PM
Jim Morrison

mps is 19 points (9g+10a) in 29 games so far in SEL

Jim Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 04:05 PM
Falcons93

Why do some Leafs fans hate on Kadri? He is a good prospect and there was nothing wrong with selecting him with the 7th overall pick. I give a slight edge to Magnus Paajarvi-Svensson at the moment, but it's really close. If Kadri dominates for the rest of the season, like many assumed he would, I would choose him instead.

Falcons93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 04:08 PM
Other Little Mikey

There's lots of updates about MPS in the prospects thread stickied on the Oilers board.

Other Little Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 04:09 PM
golgoXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipeshow77 View Post
Why do some Leafs fans hate on Kadri? He is a good prospect and there was nothing wrong with selecting him with the 7th overall pick. I give a slight edge to Magnus Paajarvi-Svensson at the moment, but it's really close. If Kadri dominates for the rest of the season, like many assumed he would, I would choose him instead.
Because is not 6'6 245 lbs

golgoXIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 04:29 PM
McDonaughGirardi

MPS all day... i love kadri but hate toronto... and that is my reasoning ...

im bias because i drafted MPS in my keeper pool

McDonaughGirardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 04:41 PM
Mach 9*

Quote:
Originally Posted by golgoXIII View Post
Because is not 6'6 245 lbs

I see what you did there.

Mach 9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 04:42 PM
Pure

MPS for sure. When they are equally skilled, I'm taking the more physically gifted player.

Pure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 04:43 PM
McDoused

As biased Oiler fan I'm obligated to say MPS. Having said that, I thought it was pretty much impossible that he would drop to the 10th overall selection. From all the scouting reports he was rated higher than Kadri in almost every single one of them.

Still, Kadri is a good player with a lot of skill. He also has an edge to him that brian burke must like. Just because he might not be as good as MPS doesn't mean he isn't a good prospect. Their is no losing when you get a top 10 pick. They are all great prospects.

McDoused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 04:48 PM
Joseppi

vCash: 50
I've always thought MPS had one of the better skillsets out of the top 10. The knock on him was his ability to finish. He's improved on that greatly this year, already surpassing his point totals from last year.

It's hard not to pick him in a situation like this, and that's no slight at Kadri.

Joseppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 04:53 PM
Warden of the North
Global Moderator
hmmmmmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
As biased Oiler fan I'm obligated to say MPS. Having said that, I thought it was pretty much impossible that he would drop to the 10th overall selection. From all the scouting reports he was rated higher than Kadri in almost every single one of them.

Still, Kadri is a good player with a lot of skill. He also has an edge to him that brian burke must like. Just because he might not be as good as MPS doesn't mean he isn't a good prospect. Their is no losing when you get a top 10 pick. They are all great prospects.

No.

And, to repeat what you said, im obligated to say Kadri. Honestly, Ive only seen MPS at the World Jrs, so i cant really make a comparison anyway.

Although I was very surprised from the "edgeiness" that Kadri has shown lately.

Last edited by Warden of the North: 12-10-2009 at 05:14 PM.
Warden of the North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 04:58 PM
John Miller

I'd be curious to know how many of the people commenting have seen these players on a regular basis. It's sort of ridiculous to compare players if you haven't seen both of them play, ideally live.

fwiw, at least two GMs (Burke, Murray) had Kadri ranked higher on their list, so I don't really see the point of talking about pre-draft rankings.

Paajarvi-Svensson is a fantastic skater though, I really like his skill-set. From the little I've seen, he's very impressive. That said, both of these players will be in the NHL in a couple of years, and we'll get a better idea what they can do as NHLers then. Making comparisons now is a bit of a waste of time.

John Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 05:01 PM
dubey
U scared? :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipeshow77 View Post
Why do some Leafs fans hate on Kadri?
The same "Leaf fans" that hate on Kadri are the same "fans" that hate on everything the Leafs do.

Kadri is a beast

dubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 05:02 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
No.

And, to repeat what you said, im obligated to say Kadri. Honestly, Ive only seen MPS at the World Jrs, so i can really make a comparison anyway.

Although I was very surprised from the "edgeiness" that Kadri has shown lately.
No, you are not obligated to say Kadri. Just because he is your teams prospect, doesn't mean it becomes impossible to be objective and use actual evidence and analysis to create an opinion on who you genuinely think is better.

IMO MSP is and will be the better player. His physical attributes with his offensive attributes are rare. I thought he was the #4 best player in the draft at the time, and still do.

J17 Vs Proclamation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 05:06 PM
Madic

Obligatory "still far too early to tell" disclaimer.

Dug MPS at the time, though I was no Kadri hater, and having not seen MPS play yet this year I can't comment, really. It'd be great to see them on an even playing field at the WJC, but even then...we'll know more when they hit pro hockey. Hurdles for both aplenty.

Madic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 05:09 PM
vippe

Send a message via MSN to vippe
Still beats my why he dropped from #3 to #10 so fast as he did... I havnt seen Kadri more than a few pre-season games so I cant really tell who is better but MPS is having quite a year and those who knocked on him because of his finishing abilites... well let's say the ycant do that anymore ^^

vippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 05:22 PM
All_blueandwhite

Didn't like the pick at the time, and nothing Kadri has done up to this point has changed my opinion.

All_blueandwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 05:33 PM
TheLeastOfTheBunch
Franchise Centre

Interesting comparison, it will be interesting how they match up in the WJC, and inevitably, in the NHL.

TheLeastOfTheBunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 06:12 PM
Madic

Quote:
Originally Posted by vippe View Post
those who knocked on him because of his finishing abilites... well let's say the ycant do that anymore ^^
Why not? 9 goals in 29 games is great for his age, but I fail to see why 9 goals is proof that his finishing ability is suddenly of no concern. I was an MPS fan last year and I still questioned it. He's a playmaker, I never saw the big deal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by All_blueandwhite View Post
Didn't like the pick at the time, and nothing Kadri has done up to this point has changed my opinion.
20 goals in 27 games doesn't impress you at all, eh? Not like the Leafs need goalscorers or anything, right?

Old
12-10-2009, 06:15 PM
Jim Morrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madic View Post
Why not? 9 goals in 29 games is great for his age, but I fail to see why 9 goals is proof that his finishing ability is suddenly of no concern. I was an MPS fan last year and I still questioned it. He's a playmaker, I never saw the big deal.
9 goals in 29 games > 7 goals in 50 games.

i'd call that an improvement. in a low scoring league btw. just imagine if he was playing in the OHL. he'd be ripping it to shreds

Last edited by Jim Morrison: 12-10-2009 at 06:28 PM.
Old
12-10-2009, 07:00 PM
Madic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Morrison View Post
9 goals in 29 games > 7 goals in 50 games.

i'd call that an improvement. in a low scoring league btw. just imagine if he was playing in the OHL. he'd be ripping it to shreds
Yes, it's improvement, hence why I called it "great"...and you'd expect improvement. You mean you hope he would acclimatise to the smaller ice surface and "rip it to shreds"...speed plays a larger role on larger ice surfaces.

Old
12-10-2009, 07:01 PM
daethfromabove1979

as a leafs fan i love kadri and liked him even before we drafted him

but i REALLY wanted the leafs to take MSP but knew it wouldn't happen even if we had the chance... kadri has been very impressive in the preseason and this year with london but i'd still take MSP over him, but i'm completely happy with kadri so whatver.. you can't go wrong with either player

daethfromabove1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 07:02 PM
Jim Morrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madic View Post
Yes, it's improvement, hence why I called it "great"...and you'd expect improvement. You mean you hope he would acclimatise to the smaller ice surface and "rip it to shreds"...speed plays a larger role on larger ice surfaces.
please, he would "dominate" vs juniors and you know that as well as i do. he'd definitely be up there in top5 scoring

Old
12-10-2009, 07:12 PM
Canuck71*

I think MPS' game is going to translate better to the NHL style of play than Kadri's. Their both solid prospects but I thought for sure at the draft that MPS was more of a "Brian Burke" type player and thought Burke would lean towards drafting MPS.

Canuck71* is offline   Reply With Quote