HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Nazem Kadri vs. Magnus Paajarvi-Svensson

Old
12-11-2009, 03:31 PM
doogie24

vCash: 500
I have only seen MPS on TV at the world juniors a few times. Kadri, I have seen in person regularly for the last few years. The guy shows his overall offensive skill every single game, and when he is on his game, he is likely to show you something with every shift.

I am not pimping Kadri here, just giving a perspective from someone that watches him regularly. He has a long way to go on the defensive side, and I dont know if that "edge" he sometimes shows will continue at the next level. One thing is forsure, that slow start he had in the OHL is now over. He has been scoring at a high rate these days, and should finish well ahead of a PPG pace.

doogie24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 03:48 PM
oilsands
NHL Supertar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobermay View Post
MPS vs. Kadri. Interesting. WJC will settle this, but there has ALWAYS been MPS homers here on HFboards. At times it almost seems like people claim that MPS is the perfect player. I can't wait to see first hand to evalute them both at the same level.
Actually I think about 20 years and history will settle it... not some short teenaged tournament.

Agreed, there are many MPS homers on these boards, he is overrated. However, he is the biggest forward taken in the top 15, combined with being the fastest skater in the draft - that says a lot. He is 18 and 6'1 200lbs... should be about 6'2 215lbs in a few years, and for a player with his vision and speed - well.. you get the picture.

Kadri is a dynamite big game player... I see him as a Ribero type. I put MPS slightly ahead, but not by much.

oilsands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 04:04 PM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incognito View Post
To be fair, Kadri would have been a lock for the WJC's last year had he not broken his jaw.
Not only would he have NOT been a lock, I doubt he had much of a chance at all. I mean, really, do you Leafs fans actually even watch the WJHC?

17 year olds rarely make the team in any real way. The players like Sam Gagner who do, make it at the last moment with a good camp and wind up barely playing.

Evander Kane was flown in AFTER THEY CUT HIM. Do you really think Nazem Kadri was in any way a better prospect in Hockey Canada's eyes than Evander Kane? Or a better player for that tournament.

SK13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 04:44 PM
Bileur

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskyoil View Post
Actually I think about 20 years and history will settle it... not some short teenaged tournament.

Agreed, there are many MPS homers on these boards, he is overrated. However, he is the biggest forward taken in the top 15, combined with being the fastest skater in the draft - that says a lot. He is 18 and 6'1 200lbs... should be about 6'2 215lbs in a few years, and for a player with his vision and speed - well.. you get the picture.

Kadri is a dynamite big game player... I see him as a Ribero type. I put MPS slightly ahead, but not by much.
I like the Ribeiro comparison but Kadri is much more physical. I had described him to one of my friends as a Ribeiro-Mike Fisher blend. Skilled almost like Ribs but with more physical play and grit.

Bileur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 04:46 PM
40oz

Quote:
MPS vs. Kadri. Interesting. WJC will settle this, but there has ALWAYS been MPS homers here on HFboards. At times it almost seems like people claim that MPS is the perfect player. I can't wait to see first hand to evalute them both at the same level.
No it wont.

40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 09:26 PM
Faryn

MPS personally after seeing him at the world juniors last year I wanted Edmonton to trade up to get him I couldn't believe that he dropped as far as he did haven't seen that much of Kadri but I thought that for sure MPS would be up with Schenn and Kane, Kadri from what I have read about him is a hit or miss player has great potential but needs to be able to transfer it to the next level I have heard comparisons to Hemsky for Kadri and you cant go wrong with that, but MPS has just so many aspects to his game that just leave you drooling, cant wait to see him in North America and in an Oilers jersey. He is like Cogliano (who also had problem scoring at the World Juniors) with size I think personally, speed is just amazing and not bad hands the only knock I could find on him at the World Juniors was his finish but so far this season it looks like he has worked on changing that (yes I have seen them). Both are great prospects but i think i have to give the edge to Magnus. You got to love that whole World Junior misunderstanding too, funny.

Faryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 11:00 PM
NoThreat

Well, despite the slow start I've been impressed with Kadri's play (he's playing a much better two way game) but I havn't seen any more of MPS so I personally can't give an educated answer to this question.

I think a number of people who will post are in the same boat, seeing only one of the players.

NoThreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 11:02 PM
Jeffler
Shut Up Jeffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipeshow77 View Post
Why do some Leafs fans hate on Kadri? He is a good prospect and there was nothing wrong with selecting him with the 7th overall pick. I give a slight edge to Magnus Paajarvi-Svensson at the moment, but it's really close. If Kadri dominates for the rest of the season, like many assumed he would, I would choose him instead.
Because he's not Canadian.

Well, he actually is, but you'll actually hear that argument around the interwebs and talk radio.

"That Nigel Cadbury isn't actually Canadian!!!! His dad wasn't born here!!! SURE, his dad moved here at 3 years old, but still!"

"Mophead in the middle is the mad scientist of the group. He sits quietly, wide eyed with a smile on his face until someone unleashes him, and then he explodes into an explanation Fury like a coked out physicist explaining the Theory of Relativity to a grade 8 class."
Follow me on Twitter
Jeffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 11:06 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Not a fan of the Leafs or Oilers but I do think Kadri will end up being better.

Timeless Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 11:56 PM
bsmith14

i dont see how picking mps to be better is somehow supposed to be a knock on kadri, both are gonna be great players with 1st line potential

bsmith14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 02:06 AM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Personally, I HATED the Kadri pick at the draft. I actually wanted the Buds to draft Kulikov in the 7th slot. I liked Kulikov because I thought he was more a "sure thing" than MPS & I liked the tenacity along with skill that he brought on D, but MPS was always my second choice. I like MPS' size and speed but always thought he would take a little longer to come around BUT also thought he had more potential than Kulikov. Kadri was never on my radar but since, I've warmed up to the pick. Kadri looks like he may become an excellent finisher (if his career pans out) & a very exciting player to watch but, because of his size, will appear to be invisible from time to time. MPS just looks like a player that will always stand out on the ice and will appear on the score-sheet a lot with tonnes of assists. If MPS' career pans out, I truly see Forsberg/Marleau potential in him. Kadri may become the Leafs' version of Corey Perry slash Mike Cammalleri hybrid . The way I see it, Forsberg/Marleau > Perry/Cammy

GordieHoweHatTrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 03:43 AM
helicecopter

Looks like there are a couple of myths going on MSP.

1- because he had troubles converting his chances in a couple of WJC games, he can't finish.

2- somehow people around here KNOW he will grow another inch.

The #1 thing is funny because it was basically made up around here during the WJC only by people who saw him play a total of one or to games, and soon became 'consensus' and the reason why he dropped at th draft, no less.

Considering i have seen him do GREAT things as a 16yr old at the U20 level and i have seen him play like garbage at 18 against his peers, i guess his INconsistency is what hurt his stock more than anything else.
It's like he is ON some weeks and OFF some others.

helicecopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 08:57 AM
Mojo19
He's Big, He's Bald

I like the Kadri -> Derek Roy comparison.

Mojo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 02:07 PM
Nizdizzle
Salary cap? Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by helicecopter View Post
Looks like there are a couple of myths going on MSP.

1- because he had troubles converting his chances in a couple of WJC games, he can't finish.

2- somehow people around here KNOW he will grow another inch.

The #1 thing is funny because it was basically made up around here during the WJC only by people who saw him play a total of one or to games, and soon became 'consensus' and the reason why he dropped at th draft, no less.

Considering i have seen him do GREAT things as a 16yr old at the U20 level and i have seen him play like garbage at 18 against his peers, i guess his INconsistency is what hurt his stock more than anything else.
It's like he is ON some weeks and OFF some others.
Yes, he dropped at the draft because the majority of HF based their opinions on 1 game they saw, thus making NHL scouts not like him

Nizdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 02:11 PM
vippe

Send a message via MSN to vippe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan311 View Post
Yes, he dropped at the draft because the majority of HF based their opinions on 1 game they saw, thus making NHL scouts not like him
That's not what he said.

vippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 11:52 PM
kabby15

i'll admit i wasn't a big fan of the kadri pick on draft night when i was expecting it to be one of cowen or MPS. the thing that worried me most about kadri was his tendency to dangle too much and take shifts/nights off. hopefully that improves as he becomes a pro. i was pleasantly surprised though with the preseason that he had showing some flashes of skill.

when it comes to MPS, i see an explosive and exciting player to watch in the future, but ever since the tlusty trade, i've started to question whether or not some players can handle the spotlight in t.o.

MPS strikes me as a little soft-spoken and shy, but it could also be due to the language barrier. kadri seems more confident and has a bit of a swagger, which i found annoying at first, but have grown used to since.

i think part of burke's strategy is to evaluate the chances of a prospect's success in this hockey hotbed. while we'll never know for sure, i think that both of these players will end up finding more success in their current respective cities compared to the situation where their roles are reversed. with this in mind, i don't hate the kadri pick as much as i did on draft night.

kabby15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 12:34 AM
Tonka
Keslerberg strikes

I would have picked MSP at the draft, but I am slowly changing my views, probably because now I have grown to like Kadri's potential.

- Kadri has perhaps had one of the best hands in the NHL draft
- Kadri is a very fast skater, which MPS is too
- I have seen Kadri's games and clips...and he sticks up for his teammates, lays big hits, is quick to get into scrums...and the guy is not even a big
- He has confidence and can make a lot of defenders look bad by dangling with the puck and fooling the goalie

I mean, he's the type of player Leafs need. Now that Leafs have Kessel, I think Kadri is the type of player we need because he is a center and we are really lacking that position.

Tonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 03:13 AM
helicecopter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan311 View Post
i'm not sure you got it... whatever

helicecopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 06:51 AM
Nazem Gretzky
Eller 4 Selke

Send a message via AIM to Nazem Gretzky
I take Kadri because he mixes grit with pure skill, and he's from Ontario. I can't even remember the last time the Leafs developed a first round pick from Ontario and he became an actual GOOD NHL player for the Leafs.

Nazem Gretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 08:58 AM
bobermay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Truculence View Post
I take Kadri because he mixes grit with pure skill, and he's from Ontario. I can't even remember the last time the Leafs developed a first round pick from Ontario and he became an actual GOOD NHL player for the Leafs.
Define 'good'. If a 2nd line center is 'good' look at Matt Stajan.

bobermay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 10:05 AM
Nazem Gretzky
Eller 4 Selke

Send a message via AIM to Nazem Gretzky
Quote:
Define 'good'. If a 2nd line center is 'good' look at Matt Stajan.
Stajan wasn't a 1st rounder though.

Nazem Gretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 11:22 AM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka View Post

- Kadri has perhaps had one of the best hands in the NHL draft
If only he had two...

I think it's pretty much a wash at this point. The only thing most people are basing their opinions on right now are pre-draft scouting reports and limited viewings from this season.

Assuming Kadri makes the Canadian team, the World Juniors will be an excellent opportunity to observe both and see how they play.

12-13-2009, 12:48 PM
NoThreat

Kadri was a good two-way player in Kitchener, some bad tendencies crept into his game in London but so far this year he has been quite good defensively from what I've seen. He's played the PK as well and he's scoring more than he used to and has a bit more of an edge to his game.

Just giving some info from what I've seen, he doesn't seem to be nearly as one dimensional as some people have said in the past.

NoThreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 02:21 PM
bobermay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Truculence View Post
Stajan wasn't a 1st rounder though.
ah, my bad.

bobermay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 02:16 PM
bsmith14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoThreat View Post
Kadri was a good two-way player in Kitchener, some bad tendencies crept into his game in London but so far this year he has been quite good defensively from what I've seen. He's played the PK as well and he's scoring more than he used to and has a bit more of an edge to his game.

Just giving some info from what I've seen, he doesn't seem to be nearly as one dimensional as some people have said in the past.
the edge he brings is what makes him such an intriguing pick, although he does not have a ton of size he brings a tenacity to his game throwing big hits as well as deft playmaking. like i mentioned before just because i picked mps (i am a bit biased i will admit) is no knock on kadri at all he is going to be a true #1 center and may even make the derek roy comparison look pale...but hey im an optimist (u have to be to cheer for edmonton your whole life)

bsmith14 is offline   Reply With Quote