HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Kings v. dogs: THAT WAS NUTS!

Old
12-11-2009, 08:38 AM
RAZZIE King
Registered redophile

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lak4ever View Post
Were 6-0-1 in our last 7 games!
The funny thing is that it's during the same time period I started manning a Salvation Army kettle... The one game I missed outright I kept asking for updates...and was sorry I did (******* Blues)...

If you come across a ringer at a Smith's doing a modified version of THIS IS LA on a couple of bells in Las Vegas on game days...chances are...it's me...

RAZZIE King is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 09:08 AM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post

14-0-0 when leading after 2 periods.**
** OT or SO sometimes needed.

I can't take that much stress. I'd like to see the game end once in a while in regulation.

LOVE it though!!!

GKG!

Butch 19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 09:12 AM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperDan View Post

Btw, how awesome is Simmonds? I wasn't sure if he could be a big time scorer early on but now I have no doubts. He's like the PS3. Does everything.
He has really improved his game since last year - and he was pretty good then.

He's looking more and more comfortable trying to make a move around the D.

Butch 19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 09:25 AM
not tellin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
Cool man, goodnight.

psst...who is this guy?

greatest post all night.

not tellin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 09:42 AM
not tellin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
I keep the games on while playing WoW. I kept getting distracted from the raid watching the game. Great push by the Kings to get 4 points on back to back games.

These guys believe they can win and they're doing it.

Old
12-11-2009, 10:02 AM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

... Was nice to attend the game and see the Kings put in a good performance on the back end of a back-to-back. I predicted this team to have a perfect beginning to the month of December and aside from the OTL against the Blues, they lived up to that.

Of all people, Jones had a good defensive game.

Simmonds played wonderfully, as has been his custom, and he got rewarded last night with more ice time.

I don't know how a player like Kopitar manages to play 22 1/2 minutes without a shot on goal, but that's what happened.

I thought Frolov had a lot of jump out there and a good game overall, but he's gotta hit the net more than 3 times out of 10. He was defensed pretty closely, but he has to fight through that because it won't change any time soon.

The player who shall go nameless again was pretty blah. I still don't see justification for all the hype. He was OK, but hardly stood out. Anyways.

I thought Handzus was back on the mark after having a couple rough games. He was very reliable and played intelligently.

Jack Johnson is starting to put it all together. There's a few rough edges to his game, but he's tilting the scale in favor of good and valuable rather than being a liability out there.

The Coyotes are a well-schooled, well-coached team. I hate criticizing Gretzky, but the difference between his team and Tippett's team is almost night and day. Their team was excellent on the breakout, their passes in their own zone were usually very simple and safe. Looks like they practiced "two guys on the puck" in the neutral zone, and that's always a solid strategy. They could have thrown in the towel after falling behind early, but they came back and really played a solid game. They earned the point and I'm not surprised at their record thus far.

Particularly, the two defensemen stuck out in my mind -- Michalek and Yandle. They were fast and quick, and always getting in the lanes. Bryzgalov always gives the Kings fits so it wasn't too surprising to see him settle down and have a good overall game.

Last edited by JT Dutch*: 12-11-2009 at 10:14 AM.
JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 10:02 AM
no name

Quote:
The way the night was going for Heidi, I was waiting for Jack to ask Heidi if she wanted to go out for drinks after the interview.
I was telling myself that in my head. If he did my man love for Jack would not be tolerable around these parts. The legend would continue. Jack Wanna F Johnson.

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 10:11 AM
SLang

Quote:
Here is the deal though. We can play SO much better. You can just see it. There are times that we look completely dominant, as if we are men playing against boys. Then, small mistakes, pressing, the subtle plays get us in trouble and we lose momentum, and I think that is where smyth is so missed. He is so consistent, that even if the other team gets a good shift or two, Smyth creating chaos in front of the net creates scoring chances and we take momentum right back.

We still miss Ryan and despite winning, we can take this to a whole new level.
This is what I keep telling my friends who are "casual" hockey fans. They see the success of the team and SUDDENLY are getting more interested in the Kings. When they ask me, I tell them that this deal has "you ain't seen nothin' yet" potential written all over it.

If when Smyth comes back the first line reverts to its' early-season ways, the second/third lines maintain their current level (Frolov was one of the best on the ice last night and couldn't BUY a *********g bounce), defense starts clicking more and Quick maintains - teams are going to HATE playing the Kings.

SLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 10:19 AM
no name

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN14 View Post
Seriously. Not even icing our best team and we're still getting wins...delicious.
Delicious is such a creepy word , lol.

Old
12-11-2009, 10:22 AM
agentfouser
Playoffs?!?!

it's especially awesome to see that lately they seem to get better as the game winds down. yeah, phoenix was really buzzing for the last few minutes last night, but it seems like lately the whole team gets a little calmer after the 10:00 mark of the third period.

and simmonds, wow, can he win a selke trophy someday?

agentfouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 10:28 AM
TonySCV
One More Time

Now we're starting to scratch the surface of all time Kings franchise records.

Per the LAT, 43 points ties the best 33-game start in franchise history, previously accomplished when they were 21-11-1 in 1988-89 (they went 42-31-7 that season).

The really good news is these stats are falling in years the Kings also made the playoffs, so hopefully that bodes well for this year's team!

The Los Angeles Kings - 2012 Stanley Cup Champions
TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 10:58 AM
FrozenRoyalty
HFB Partner

rozen Royalty Audio & NHL Video: Kings Hit 20-Win Mark With 3-2 Victory Over Phoenix

Frozen Royalty Audio and NHL Video: LA Kings Hit 20-Win Mark With 3-2 Victory Over Phoenix

FrozenRoyalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 11:49 AM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
The best part of last night was when Quick made the save on Doan in the SO. . . I thought forsure he would put the dagger in the Kings heart like he usually does. . . good stuff.

Cutty Sarkn3ss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 12:17 PM
no name

Quote:
Originally Posted by imissgretzky View Post
Haha ok, sorry, my bad.
Don't worry, we are all idoits around here.

Old
12-11-2009, 12:26 PM
not tellin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutty Sarkn3ss View Post
The best part of last night was when Quick made the save on Doan in the SO. . . I thought forsure he would put the dagger in the Kings heart like he usually does. . . good stuff.
no, the best part was

ref : move the puck
scuds : what do you want me to do?
ref : MOVE IT

Old
12-11-2009, 12:43 PM
Black1963
Weal Deal, No Doubt!

vCash: 2045
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Dutch View Post
... Was nice to attend the game and see the Kings put in a good performance on the back end of a back-to-back. I predicted this team to have a perfect beginning to the month of December and aside from the OTL against the Blues, they lived up to that.

Of all people, Jones had a good defensive game.

Simmonds played wonderfully, as has been his custom, and he got rewarded last night with more ice time.

I don't know how a player like Kopitar manages to play 22 1/2 minutes without a shot on goal, but that's what happened.

I thought Frolov had a lot of jump out there and a good game overall, but he's gotta hit the net more than 3 times out of 10. He was defensed pretty closely, but he has to fight through that because it won't change any time soon.

The player who shall go nameless again was pretty blah. I still don't see justification for all the hype. He was OK, but hardly stood out. Anyways.

I thought Handzus was back on the mark after having a couple rough games. He was very reliable and played intelligently.

Jack Johnson is starting to put it all together. There's a few rough edges to his game, but he's tilting the scale in favor of good and valuable rather than being a liability out there.

The Coyotes are a well-schooled, well-coached team. I hate criticizing Gretzky, but the difference between his team and Tippett's team is almost night and day. Their team was excellent on the breakout, their passes in their own zone were usually very simple and safe. Looks like they practiced "two guys on the puck" in the neutral zone, and that's always a solid strategy. They could have thrown in the towel after falling behind early, but they came back and really played a solid game. They earned the point and I'm not surprised at their record thus far.

Particularly, the two defensemen stuck out in my mind -- Michalek and Yandle. They were fast and quick, and always getting in the lanes. Bryzgalov always gives the Kings fits so it wasn't too surprising to see him settle down and have a good overall game.
I didn't really notice Jones much but I don't think 44DD played all that much. Perhaps, that supports what you said about Jones having a good game.

Other than that, I pretty much agree with everything you said, including the nameless one.

I am a bit surprised that Kopi didn't have a shot on goal but I'll take your word for it.

I don't know about the rest of you guys but I really like the lineup we had. I'm hoping TM will play this lineup more often.

Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 12:59 PM
Johnny Utah

Remember awhile back Lombardi said our best players have to be our young players...

Well, 20 year old Moller scored as did 22 year old Johnson...Doughty, Johnson both scored in the shootout.

Handzus is the only forward in the top 12 over 28 years old....

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 01:02 PM
TonySCV
One More Time

Quick's 2 heart-stopper saves in the 3rd with around 9:30 to go were unbelievable. I know luck had a bit to do with it, but he's the one that has to do those splits and be smart enough to keep his leg pads extended.

I saw that swagger from Quick last night that I've been hoping to see. There were a few times where he'd make a save and leap up to his feet like he's ready for more, the snap of his glove when he'd make a difficult save look easy... that "bring it on *****es" look. Good stuff.

If he exudes that kind of confidence and can continue to back it up with his play, his teammates will gain even more confidence in front of him.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 01:13 PM
Ollie Weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by bland View Post
I'll be honest, I don't know you as a poster, so I don't want to suggest that you are part of the anti-Frolov crowd with an agenda, but I saw the replay you were talking about...

I have to wonder - why would you read that as "complete disgust that Moller didn't score" instead of the FAR more likely "disappointment that the KINGS didn't score?"
I don't have an agenda by any means - I love the guy and want him to break out this season, re-sign, etc. etc.

I love that he's showing a little bit of emotion, but this particular incident was between a however-many-years veteran and a rookie who hasn't played his 50th NHL game. I'll admit it could be interpreted in a few different ways, but I chose to see it as an unnecessarily negative expression of emotion in front of a player who in all likelihood should be looking to Fro as an example. Just rubbed me the wrong way, is all.

Ollie Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 01:17 PM
Roxo

Send a message via AIM to Roxo
quick played lights out last night... and deserved 3rd star. Plus won the shootout!

thou I would like him to calm down the rebounds a bit.. late in the third or OT i forgot which, he was playing tennis with the puck....

Roxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 01:19 PM
no name

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post
Just sped through the DVR of the game after playing in my own game. (I Knew they went to a shootout.) Jack with another sick move in the shootout. Is he not better than Jussi Jokinen in that situation? He's almost Aut-O-matic.

What a streak with points in 7 in a row. 8-1-1 in the conference, 20 wins. 8 players with 20 points, one point out of 1st in the conference. Are you shyttin me?

Last night I said it with this () Tonight I'll just say it: Terry Murray is a frickin Super-Geeee-nius.

Oh and one more thing:

Go Kings GO!

Go Kings GO!

Go Kings GO!
60% of the time he scores all the time.

Old
12-11-2009, 01:25 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

As one of his biggest critics, I think its only fair to give Terry Murray credit for some great coaching, especially since Smyth went out. I think he has put out solid lineups that give us a chance to win and let the players open up a bit offensively.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 01:35 PM
not tellin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippery Moses View Post
I don't have an agenda by any means - I love the guy and want him to break out this season, re-sign, etc. etc.

I love that he's showing a little bit of emotion, but this particular incident was between a however-many-years veteran and a rookie who hasn't played his 50th NHL game. I'll admit it could be interpreted in a few different ways, but I chose to see it as an unnecessarily negative expression of emotion in front of a player who in all likelihood should be looking to Fro as an example. Just rubbed me the wrong way, is all.
i'm with you. it seemed dramatic and over the top. i understand an "oh crap" look but not the "what the f is wrong with this guy, lifting my wrist up to the sky and shrugging" look.

Old
12-11-2009, 01:56 PM
KingsKnight
Reclaim the Crown

Quote:
Originally Posted by not tellin View Post
no, the best part was

ref : move the puck
scuds : what do you want me to do?
ref : MOVE IT