HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Pizza Chains in Edmonton

View Poll Results: Which Pizza do you prefer?
Pizza 73 19 18.81%
Panago 25 24.75%
Papa John's 4 3.96%
Little Caeser's 3 2.97%
Pizza Hut 9 8.91%
Domino's 6 5.94%
Support your local Pizzeria 20 19.80%
Other 15 14.85%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-11-2009, 08:06 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

vCash: 500
Panago uses real ingredients. All other chain pizza tastes like cardboard in comparison. They are the only chain pizza I order.

Royal Pizza for non-chain stuff now that Pharos closed down

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 08:22 AM
HockeyGM82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Pizza businesses are extremely competitive and cutthroat. Real difficult to make a profit.
I know a person with 4 of them here. He was making a 7 figure profit off eachone and had a revenue about 4 times that for each, but once the recession hit business was down 30-40%. Most food chains, besides fast food, were like that.

It depends how much money your friends parents have. I'd try going for a bigger franchise like BP's or Pizza 73, but it's all in the numbers. They'll know once they see the books.

HockeyGM82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 08:29 AM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

I thought Rose Bowl was the best, but I went with ol'73.

Tad Mikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 09:09 AM
Paralyzer
Tier 13428 Oiler Fan

Whoever said Panago is expensive, they aren't. They are only expensive if you order anything but Pepperoni or cheese. Otherwise you pay $6 for a small, $8 for a medium and $10 for a large of Pepperoni or cheese.

As for my favorite pizza, I found that Little Caesars is really good and very cheap. I enjoy their crazy bread as well.

Pizza 73 I found to be very expensive and the people deliverying it (at least, in my area) are very unreliable and take longer than an hour to deliver. Then after about an hour and so, they get upset cuz I didn't tip them. I told them "if you were here as the stated time, then you get a tip".

Dominos is good, especially their Brooklyn Pizza. It's a large thin crust with thick slices of pepperoni and it's great for the family. Add that with the breadsticks and it's amazing. But only issue is the prices. You'll be paying close to 25-30 for just that.

Another place I recommend is Papa Murphy's. Even though it is a pain to have to cook your own pizza, they have quality ingredients and it tastes really fresh.

Anyways, best franchise to open up especially if it's close to neighbourhoods, is Little Caesars.

Paralyzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 09:27 AM
Dorian2
The bag don't lie.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Capital Pizza is good too. North end only.
Here Here! They don't deliver, but Capital is definitely worth the trip..the Capital Supreme is awesome!

Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 09:33 AM
JustinCider

Panago is my favorite. Chicago Deep Dish is second for me.

JustinCider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 09:35 AM
Oilerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowzie View Post
Ya, I can't believe some of the independent ones, I'll see their flyer and they advertise free city wide delivery, 24-hrs a day, and their prices are insanely low. It's crazy.
Ya, but try and call at 7 am and get them to come? No way. Had several no shows as well, and rude people also. Roadrunner pizza is the worst for this.

Oilerz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 09:51 AM
JustinCider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerz View Post
Ya, but try and call at 7 am and get them to come? No way. Had several no shows as well, and rude people also. Roadrunner pizza is the worst for this.
you usually get what you pay for.

Old
12-11-2009, 09:53 AM
Oilerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinCider View Post
you usually get what you pay for.
Lol. It isn't a matter of trying to save money. The reputable outlets are closed at 1 or 2 and they are all thats left.

Oilerz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 09:53 AM
Ogopogo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowzie View Post
Hey all, my aunt and her husband are looking into a pizza franchise in Edmonton to get in to. Right now it seems like it might be a Poppa John's but they're keeping their options open, so what's the preferred pizza place around here? I've only ever had Pizza 73 in the city, so my palette is neglected. What's the worst, what's the best etc.

Papa John's
Panago
Little Caeser's
Domino's
Pizza Hut
Pizza 73
When opening a business, profit is the motive not taste. IMO, Papa John's would be a mistake because it is not a widely known brand in Edmonton and that will hurt revenues.

Panago, Domino's and Pizza 73 seem to be the places people call most often just because they are so familiar with those brands. Of course franchise fees are a major factor as well.

Ultimately, it's all about the money. Look at the books and determine which one will put the most money in their pockets and to hell with how the pizza tastes. After all, even bad pizza is pretty good.

Ogopogo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 09:57 AM
Ghostbuster

Depends what I want.

Panago is great for the variety pizzas, but I like Pizza 73 for the more original styles (Ham+Pinneapple, Pepperoni).

Panago I recommend the Chicken Club (Tomato, Bacon, Chicken, Jalepeno Sauce) or the Steak Mushroom Melt (Steak, Mushroom, Bacon, Cheese Sauce). Those are probably my favorite pizzas.

I'll give a nod to the Boston Pizza perogie pizza.

I think Canadian Brewhouse had a "Donair" Pizza, but it kinda sucked though.

Funky Pickle is also a good option.

If I had to choose, either Panago or Pizza 73. If you made a Panago that was in a fast food court that served by the slice, that would be amazing.

Last edited by Ghostbuster: 12-11-2009 at 10:24 AM.
Ghostbuster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 10:09 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Any thought into opening a different line? We have Round Table Pizza here in the states, not sure if the shipping of the food would be feasible? Plus I've never tried it, so it could taste terrible for all I know.

OT-But how about seeing if they could open a Jack In The Box? I've never seen one in Alberta and it would be something that you could make $ on as a novelty by being the 1st one.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 10:11 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 688
I love pizza 73's golden crispy wings, but their pizza sucks. First it has no sauce, second very little sauce and third if you think you wouldn't mind a slice for work the next day you can't eat it because it's harder then a hockey puck.

joestevens29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 10:12 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryn Duliba View Post
When opening a business, profit is the motive not taste. IMO, Papa John's would be a mistake because it is not a widely known brand in Edmonton and that will hurt revenues.

Panago, Domino's and Pizza 73 seem to be the places people call most often just because they are so familiar with those brands. Of course franchise fees are a major factor as well.

Ultimately, it's all about the money. Look at the books and determine which one will put the most money in their pockets and to hell with how the pizza tastes. After all, even bad pizza is pretty good.
Bad pizza sucks. And if you buy into a franchise that sucks and better franchises come in you will be sucking the hind tit before long.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 10:17 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGM82 View Post
I know a person with 4 of them here. He was making a 7 figure profit off eachone and had a revenue about 4 times that for each, but once the recession hit business was down 30-40%. Most food chains, besides fast food, were like that.

It depends how much money your friends parents have. I'd try going for a bigger franchise like BP's or Pizza 73, but it's all in the numbers. They'll know once they see the books.
I was going to say with the recession a place like Panago might not be the best option.

Old
12-11-2009, 10:21 AM
Gags89

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Royal Pizza. They were advertising looking for franchisees recently. All those other chains are garbage imo.
I just heard an advertisement on the radio yesterday looking for franchisees. Chicago Deep Dish is another good pizza place.

Gags89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 10:31 AM
joestevens29

Tell them to open a liquor store, no matter what the economy is like you don't stop drinking but you might quit ordering out and just by pizza's from the grocery store.

Old
12-11-2009, 10:35 AM
JustinCider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerz View Post
Lol. It isn't a matter of trying to save money. The reputable outlets are closed at 1 or 2 and they are all thats left.
I know that, but those places are making a small profit on each order, and it isn't as big of a deal if they skip out on an order or 2, or if they are rude and lose a customer. They know people will keep coming back because they are cheap and open all the time. They aren't worried about customer service

Old
12-11-2009, 10:37 AM
twisted by dezign

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
HAHA before I was old enough to drink i'd go to Boston Pizza... they'd have no problem with serving alcohol to minors there... in Abbsotsford, that is.
Haha, I have some underaged friends that have gotten drunk at BP's before. They are so lax over there.

I only really eat pepperoni pizza since it is GODLY so my opinion will only matter for pepperoni pizza:

BP's - good, love the crust
Panago - good
Domino's - okay when very fresh, very bland otherwise
Pizza hut - overly greasy but good, but you get tired of it quickly. I love the crust.
Pizza 73 - good pepperoni topping but the crust isn't the greatest. Needs more sauce!
Chicago Deep Dish - Good, but your stomach will be hurting after
Royal Pizza - not bad
Funky Pickle - it's been years since I've been there, so I forgot!

twisted by dezign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 10:37 AM
JustinCider

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I love pizza 73's golden crispy wings, but their pizza sucks. First it has no sauce, second very little sauce and third if you think you wouldn't mind a slice for work the next day you can't eat it because it's harder then a hockey puck.
Totally agree. Wings - great. Pizza - nothing special.

Old
12-11-2009, 10:43 AM
joestevens29

The only thing I like about BP's is that like others here they allowed me to drink there when I was a minor. The portions became smaller and smaller and the price of a beer is too much for the quality of food.

Old
12-11-2009, 11:07 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinCider View Post
Totally agree. Wings - great. Pizza - nothing special.
This I will go with too. Pizza73 has good wings. Whenever they have the 4 pack on I do order that. 1 Hawaiian, 1 crispy golden boneless, 1 hot, and 1 big cookie. Feeds a good sized group.

Although the best single pizza is probably Boston Pizza's perogy pizza(good food there too). But Panago's chicken club, is right up there too.

I haven't tried Papa John's.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 11:16 AM
kwanjie

I'd say Papa John's!

They use the best ingredients and their original crust is also fresh and edible.

Not a well known brand locally but it's huge around the world, I hear they have more stores opening soon.

kwanjie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 11:19 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwanjie View Post
I'd say Papa John's!

They use the best ingredients and their original crust is also fresh and edible.

Not a well known brand locally but it's huge around the world, I hear they have more stores opening soon.
I haven't tried them yet, but they opened one up by my place. Maybe tonight for the game I will try them.

Old
12-11-2009, 11:25 AM
oilfansixtynine
schulebsyakhallnuge

vCash: 793
Send a message via MSN to oilfansixtynine
Cant say which one will make the best bang for the buck as a francheesee, but my personal favourite on that list for pizza is Domino's. Can't say for pappa johns though as I haven't tried them yet..

oilfansixtynine is offline   Reply With Quote