HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

long time Bruins season tix holder on Habs

Closed Thread

Old
04-16-2004, 03:14 AM
DKH

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DKH
long time Bruins season tix holder on Habs

I'm 45 and have been going to these Habs-Bruins games since 1968; my parents had seats back to the late 40's and I took them over when I got out of school- I no longer go to every game but still hit 15 or so regular season games and almost all playoffs (I went to the first 2 games and will be at game 7 if there is one). Growing up I learned quickly that my father loathed the Canadiens like the Yankees but ironically his favorite player was Jean Belliveau. He used to tell me- 'there is the ultimate hockey player'. I was hitting my stride as a kid right when Orr came up but I'll tell you there were two enemy players I loved- Dave Keon and Yvan Cournoyor. Cournoyor was it although I must profess while watching a Bruins vs Canadiens game with a bunch of friends in the 70's, I mentioned how I can't stand Doug Risebrough; but when I mentioned I'd like to give him a two hander to the back I heard a bunch of laughs and was told 'no wonder you played exactly like him' so much for Cournoyor, from that point on Risebrough became a favorite of mine- atleast to watch anyways, I'm not here to do any 'nah, nah, nah, nah', I spend to much time telling my kids not to act that way so here's a quick comment on what I've seen and what may happen.

The series has been very entertaining and at this point nothing would suprise me so I'm not going to say I have any premonition as to who will win. Vegas would figure the Bruins have two chances and are a good team so they should be able to get one but who knows? One thing apparent to me is the Koviu line has been the best line of the series. They are quick and Kovalev gives them size. Anyone 25 and older has seen him since he hit the scene with the Rags and realize he 'when into it' is a legit world class player; Zednik has impressed the crap out of me; Koivu is a guy I always liked- I don't see him enough but when I do he seems fiesty and I just really like the guy.

Ryder could play in 1963. He's an old time like player- and so what if he hit Axelsson high. I'd be the ultimate kettle calling the pot black complaining about some of the hits both ways. Ribiero I obviously would love see blasted but thats as obvious as the guy has talent. I don't want him on my team but I also don't want to see him on the ice because of that talent.

The one guy that has made a huge impression is Craig Rivet. Again, I don't see enough of your players but Rivet looks like he should be invited to the next Team Canada squad. And as for Markov? I watched him last night a little more than usual- I am certainly aware of his stature and opinion over the recent years but started thinking this guy goes down more than Claude Lemieux when Claude used to get hurt every other game. No question you can see he's very talented- I'll agree that he's a legit top 3 on just about any team.

My opinion on all the injuries is this: you can't doubt people when they say they are hurt- and never should. If there is one part of the game that should be played fairly its this. Would I scuff a baseball to get a hitter out- absolutely. Would I try and get away with extra padding if a goalie- yes. I'd do what I could get away with but I'd rather crawl off carrying my head under my arms than have a trainer come out. Its happened- I remember being on the receiving end of a few open ice hits and probably getting to the wrong bench to make sure I didn't look hurt. Do I think some of these guys are hurt but are getting painted with a broad brush- yes.

Do I think the Broons have been outplayed and are inferior as I've read at times here or the Habs are lucky and a bunch of fakers as I've read on our board- no. The Habs have been very good. They are an extremely tough matchup for Boston because of their first line is not only talented- but quick. The second line because of Ribeiro is also quick and make things tough for McGillis, Gill, and O'Donnell as they did last time. I thought the Broons were better two years ago than right now- but both teams are more talented- the goaltending in this series is probably why its 3-2 Boston- and the goaltending is the most important position. If the Broons can get by the Habs and face Toronto or Philly they will be a better matchup- Ottawa is likewise quick and talented as are the Bolts. Montreal winning would get the Bolts and depending on Theodore playing well could take out the Bolts. Whereas the Bolts had more points remember they didn't do it against a schedule of Toronto, Boston, Ottawa, Buffalo and Montreal. They're good- but the record is a bit deceiving.

Good luck (in the next series if you make it that far) but for tomorrow night and maybe Monday you know where my heart is (I'm going Monday if there is a game and I'm something like 13-2-2 this year with both wins in this series so hopefully on our end it will continue)

Last edited by DKH: 04-16-2004 at 03:20 AM.
Old
04-16-2004, 06:37 AM
BubbaBoot

We had a thread on the B's board a while back, "Favorite non-B's players from the 70's"...or something to that affect.
I had put in Yvan Cournoyor myself.....it is what I remember most of all from the "Flying Frenchmen" of the 70's and is even more vivid in my memory than even the Lafleur years.

Loved the way he motored down the wing.....he literally looked like he was flying.

Old
04-16-2004, 06:42 AM
electric

I love how Cournoyer used to explode as soon as the puck was dropped on a faceoff. He was so fast that many times the opposing teams won the faceoff and he still managed to grab the puck before anyone else could.

There's a reason why people called him the "roadrunner"

Old
04-16-2004, 06:53 AM
mcphee

Nice post, like Red Fisher, I usually don't talk to young punks, but you seem like a nice guy. In all of our pre series estimations, we thought Bruins size would wear out our team, and our speed would cause your team havoc. I think both have happened. Watching as a fan, it's often difficult to see the entire game. Most people, myself included regard the opposition as a constant and figure the entire result depends on how their team plays. There've been some strange games and events in the series and they have taken away from some great hockey. Boston has had to get their offense from their second line, and most are surprised they have that depth. Granted, the big line has 4 goals, but only 1 has been in regular line play. I don't know what to make of Thornton. If healthy, obviously he'd be more productive and I won't argue about bad calls, but to lead his team anywhere, he has to get control of his temper. I'm sure he's a lock on Team Canada, and there will be the usual talk of discipline, but I'll be interested in seeing how his game looks in that setting. Murray and Knuble to me are good players in good situations for them. Big players seem to play best with big players, sounds weird but I remember how Leclair was different when he lined up beside Lindros. I find Boston's defense is pretty effective at keerong the Habs away from rebounds and give Raycroft a sense of security, but they can panic a bit. For the first time in awhile, I get the idea Boston's management is commited to a contender over the long term. This team will only get better.

You mention the Bruins/Habs from the old days. Wayne Cashman is the player that always comes to mind. I thought he was the meanest, ornery player in the league. Tough guys avoided him because he seemed a little crazy and no one wanted a piece of him. As much as I hated him, I wish we could get some of his DNA, and line up his clone beside Ribeiro and Ryder. That would be a line. Since you were fortunate enough to see the late 60's Bruins, when people discuss the all time greats and don't start with Orr, don't you just laugh and assume that they just never saw him play ? That version of the Bruins, 68-76, doesn't get credit as an all time great team, probably because they should have one 1 or 2 more than they did.If the WHA didn't come along, who knows what they would have accomplished.

I'd wish your team luck, but my Mom taught me to be honest and we're looking at elimination, so let's forget about the luck.

Old
04-16-2004, 06:55 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by electric
I love how Cournoyer used to explode as soon as the puck was dropped on a faceoff. He was so fast that many times the opposing teams won the faceoff and he still managed to grab the puck before anyone else could.

There's a reason why people called him the "roadrunner"
My friends father couldn't stand Cournoyer, he used to call him Off Side Cournoyer, mimicking what he thought Danny Gallivan had to say far too often. The Roadrunner [his other nick was Le Chinois, bet you wouldn't hear that today] was the perfect example of Mtl. hockey from 65-75.

Old
04-16-2004, 08:01 AM
Habbadasher

DKH, you're welcome to come back anytime. Thank you for the post.

Old
04-16-2004, 08:13 AM
scosar

You mention the Bruins/Habs from the old days. Wayne Cashman is the player that always comes to mind.

I remember going to a game in 71 or 72. I was sitting right behind the net a couple of rows up. Ken Hodge charged whoever was in goal for Montreal and Serge Savard stepped in to challenge Hodge. Right in front of my eyes Hodge layed the worst beating I have ever seen. He also scored that night. What a monster he was.

Old
04-16-2004, 08:56 AM
BubbaBoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
Nice post, like Red Fisher, I usually don't talk to young punks, but you seem like a nice guy. In all of our pre series estimations, we thought Bruins size would wear out our team, and our speed would cause your team havoc. I think both have happened. Watching as a fan, it's often difficult to see the entire game. Most people, myself included regard the opposition as a constant and figure the entire result depends on how their team plays. There've been some strange games and events in the series and they have taken away from some great hockey. Boston has had to get their offense from their second line, and most are surprised they have that depth. Granted, the big line has 4 goals, but only 1 has been in regular line play. I don't know what to make of Thornton. If healthy, obviously he'd be more productive and I won't argue about bad calls, but to lead his team anywhere, he has to get control of his temper. I'm sure he's a lock on Team Canada, and there will be the usual talk of discipline, but I'll be interested in seeing how his game looks in that setting. Murray and Knuble to me are good players in good situations for them. Big players seem to play best with big players, sounds weird but I remember how Leclair was different when he lined up beside Lindros. I find Boston's defense is pretty effective at keerong the Habs away from rebounds and give Raycroft a sense of security, but they can panic a bit. For the first time in awhile, I get the idea Boston's management is commited to a contender over the long term. This team will only get better.

You mention the Bruins/Habs from the old days. Wayne Cashman is the player that always comes to mind. I thought he was the meanest, ornery player in the league. Tough guys avoided him because he seemed a little crazy and no one wanted a piece of him. As much as I hated him, I wish we could get some of his DNA, and line up his clone beside Ribeiro and Ryder. That would be a line. Since you were fortunate enough to see the late 60's Bruins, when people discuss the all time greats and don't start with Orr, don't you just laugh and assume that they just never saw him play ? That version of the Bruins, 68-76, doesn't get credit as an all time great team, probably because they should have one 1 or 2 more than they did.If the WHA didn't come along, who knows what they would have accomplished.
Yeah you're right...when the WHA came along, in 72 we lost Gerry Cheevers, Turk Sanderson, (who came back after blowing his $1MIL in a matter of months and was too far gone to ever be effective again), Pie McKenzie, (there was a nutcase, still is from what I hear) and Teddie Green, as well as losing Eddie Westfall to the NY Isles / expansion draft.
Shakey Walton went to the WHA the following year.

We haven't won the Cup since.

BTW...a little tidbit. Terry O'Reilly made his debut that year, playing 1 game....but didn't get his name on the Cup as far as I know.

Old
04-16-2004, 09:20 AM
scosar

[QUOTE=BubbaBoot]Yeah you're right...when the WHA came along, in 72

I remember as a kid having a book about the stars in the NHL. Phil Esposito was writing about an up an comer with the B's. Phil said he could score goals like nobody's business. The guys name was Reggie Leach. I don't know when or why the Bruins gave up on him. But he sure helped Philly win a couple of cups.

Old
04-16-2004, 09:55 AM
Carbo N8

It's hard to know how to respond to a calm, intelligent discussion after the events of the last few weeks.

My memory of the 60s & 70s was that the hockey was better, but, that is probably just age causing those fuzzy spots in the memory bank. It was generally considered a "watered-down" league after expansion, but I seemed to enjoy the hockey more then. Of couse, Montreal was damned near unbeatable for a lot of those years, so, maybe that had a lot to do with it. I think the difference was that players used their stick to handle the puck & their bodies for checking, how I miss that.

It's been a great rivalry over the years, so, let's hope for more good hard playoff hockey with fewer theatrics & of course a victory for the Habs in 7!

Old
04-16-2004, 10:15 AM
Duster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH
....Good luck (in the next series if you make it that far) but for tomorrow night and maybe Monday you know where my heart is (I'm going Monday if there is a game and I'm something like 13-2-2 this year with both wins in this series so hopefully on our end it will continue)
Good post. I clearly remember the old late 60's and 70's rivalry between the Habs and the Bruins. It cost me plenty of fingernails and kept me on the edge of my seat come playoff time. The early 70's edition of the Bruins was one of the best teams I ever saw.

This series is somewhat reminiscent of these rivalries of old IMO. The quality of the players on the B's roster may not match Orr, Esposito and company but the intensity is certainly there. Both teams refuse to give in and are very evenly matched. I can see the B's coming out very strong on Saturday. Some of the people on the Bruins board are being tough on Thornton. I'd take him on my team any day. Same with Samsonov. I can't say enough about Raycroft. As much as I like Ryder, Raycroft's performance in this series proves he deserves the Calder.

No matter what the outcome, I think this series will have a direct effect on how both teams will shape up in the next few years. Each team has managed to expose the other's shortcomings to a certain extent. As a result, both Gainey and O'Connell will modify accordingly and future playoff meetings between the Habs and Bruins can only get better. Not a bad thing IMO.

The next game should be something...

Last edited by Duster: 04-16-2004 at 10:26 AM.
Old
04-16-2004, 10:36 AM
Aarex

Everyone should take note of this post.

Its a Bruins fan coming to a 'enemy' board and making a extremely well written and interesting read causing no arguments and pissing contests.

Old
04-16-2004, 10:44 AM
Carbo N8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rydified

Its a Bruins fan coming to a 'enemy' board and making a extremely well written and interesting read causing no arguments and pissing contests.
Amen!

Old
04-16-2004, 11:18 AM
BubbaBoot

[QUOTE=scosar]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaBoot
Yeah you're right...when the WHA came along, in 72

I remember as a kid having a book about the stars in the NHL. Phil Esposito was writing about an up an comer with the B's. Phil said he could score goals like nobody's business. The guys name was Reggie Leach. I don't know when or why the Bruins gave up on him. But he sure helped Philly win a couple of cups.
Traded with Rick Smith and Bob Stewart for Carol Vadnais and Don O'Donohugh....along with the Al Secord trade, (even up ironically for current B's GM Mike O'Connell), it was one of the worst ever trades for the Bruins.

Although Vadnais was a decent player and did have the look of one of the Reggie Dunlop's players in 'Slapshot', (the guy with the Prince Valiant haircut that takes his teeth out...)

It was one of Harry Sinden's earlier trades as a GM and I guess a sign of things to come.....We haven't had a Stanley Cup since...sigh*

Old
04-16-2004, 11:22 AM
BubbaBoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duster
Good post. I clearly remember the old late 60's and 70's rivalry between the Habs and the Bruins. It cost me plenty of fingernails and kept me on the edge of my seat come playoff time. The early 70's edition of the Bruins was one of the best teams I ever saw.

This series is somewhat reminiscent of these rivalries of old IMO. The quality of the players on the B's roster may not match Orr, Esposito and company but the intensity is certainly there. Both teams refuse to give in and are very evenly matched. I can see the B's coming out very strong on Saturday. Some of the people on the Bruins board are being tough on Thornton. I'd take him on my team any day. Same with Samsonov. I can't say enough about Raycroft. As much as I like Ryder, Raycroft's performance in this series proves he deserves the Calder.
Have to agree, it is a deja vu all over again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duster
No matter what the outcome, I think this series will have a direct effect on how both teams will shape up in the next few years. Each team has managed to expose the other's shortcomings to a certain extent. As a result, both Gainey and O'Connell will modify accordingly and future playoff meetings between the Habs and Bruins can only get better. Not a bad thing IMO.

The next game should be something...
I wish the NHL would schedule more regional rivalries, it would make the regular season more important and make the playoffs even more dramatic.
A Montreal v. Boston NHL rivalry would be tantamount to a Red Sox v Yankees rivalry down here in New England...at least in my eyes anyways.

Old
04-16-2004, 11:25 AM
BubbaBoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rydified

DKH is not prone to histrionics.
His posts are lengthy, thoughtful and dead-on....offering suggestions/solutions that don't cause rancor.

Old
04-16-2004, 11:49 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaBoot
DKH is not prone to histrionics.
His posts are lengthy, thoughtful and dead-on....offering suggestions/solutions that don't cause rancor.
i agree, there's no place for that kind of behavior on these boards. What a creep.

Old
04-16-2004, 12:03 PM
kastaure

Send a message via MSN to kastaure Send a message via Yahoo to kastaure
I think I can talk for most Habs fan on the board when I say that the Bruins are not yet playing up to what we where expecting from them.

I dont know what or if there is an internal problem in this team (other then Thornton being at 50% of his shape) ?

Old
04-16-2004, 12:32 PM
BubbaBoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
i agree, there's no place for that kind of behavior on these boards. What a creep.
ROFL....yeah, how foolish he is...after all, it's what keeps these boards in business, eh?

Closed Thread