HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

12/11/09 Are you a Penner supporter?

View Poll Results: Are you a Penner supporter?
always was 67 48.91%
i am now! 42 30.66%
Warming up to the boy 16 11.68%
He still needs work 6 4.38%
i can't stand him 2 1.46%
Other, please explain 4 2.92%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-11-2009, 10:48 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyaddict101 View Post
I call BS.

People have very convenient memories. There were a handful of Penner Supporters last year.

It is like Penner said himself, many people have come up to him and said "Great year, I supported you all along" He just laughs.

Me too!

Many of you are liars (tounge in cheek, I think it is funny)
My opinion of him is the same as Stortini. I liked the guy from the start, but do you have to cheer for the guy everyday? Can't you get pissed off at him from time to time? I mean look at Hemsky, just about every probably like him from the start yet there are how many calling for his head this year.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 10:49 AM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

vCash: 500
Can someone dig up the "Who's Your Favorite Oiler" thread from about a year ago? I'm useless with that search function.

Psycho Dad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 10:51 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotBad View Post
Or maybe some of us god tired of all the ******** that is spewed by the so called respected posters that most of us have given up on posting because of it. Maybe some of us were supporters but would rather keep it to ourselves because of the ignorance that flurishes on this site.

Maybe some of us realized that Penner is a 25 goal player and didnt have any reason to thump our chest like certain posters

You know I'm not a supporter of Horcoff by any means, but I realize what the guy brings and it isn't his fault that he is in the role that he is with the Oilers. The same can be said about Penner, is it his fault that he is our best option at LW and that Lowe overpaid to get him?

Old
12-11-2009, 10:52 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
My opinion of him is the same as Stortini. I liked the guy from the start, but do you have to cheer for the guy everyday? Can't you get pissed off at him from time to time? I mean look at Hemsky, just about every probably like him from the start yet there are how many calling for his head this year.
I can honestly say that Storts wasn't a favorite of mine when he broke in but his game has grown on me. JFJ on the other hand I've always liked.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 10:52 AM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Oh come on! Most posters would have traded Penner for a buck in a puck!

Less than a handful of posters supported Penner in any shape and form.

I bought that excuse for Stortini yesterday, but not buying for Penner. Many here have (let me put in nicely) short memories.

hockeyaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 10:53 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:

You know I'm not a supporter of Horcoff by any means, but I realize what the guy brings and it isn't his fault that he is in the role that he is with the Oilers. The same can be said about Penner, is it his fault that he is our best option at LW and that Lowe overpaid to get him?
Did Lowe really overpay to get him if he keeps his level of play up? I think not.

Old
12-11-2009, 10:54 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:

I bought that excuse for Stortini yesterday, but not buying for Penner. Many here have (let me put in nicely) short memories.
Agreed 100% HA.

Old
12-11-2009, 10:59 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Agreed 100% HA.
No comment.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 11:02 AM
Boilers*

Quote:

I loved the Heatley deal not only for the chance to get Dany, but getting that horrible contract of Penners off the books. I hated getting rid of Smid and Cogliano but it was a price I was willing to accept. I was ever so wrong and happy to admit it.

Boilers* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 11:06 AM
joestevens29

Quote:

Just like most posters wanted Stoll, Torres, Greene and Reasoner out? Look how much we miss those guys now. Just because most posters wanted those guys gone does it make it right? Like I said yesterday after those 4 were moved, I give guys the benefit of the doubt.

Heck I am still giving Pouilot the benefit of the doubt and giving him one last chance, because after all he was suppose to be a replacement for Pisani.

Old
12-11-2009, 11:19 AM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Just like most posters wanted Stoll, Torres, Greene and Reasoner out? Look how much we miss those guys now. Just because most posters wanted those guys gone does it make it right? Like I said yesterday after those 4 were moved, I give guys the benefit of the doubt.

Heck I am still giving Pouilot the benefit of the doubt and giving him one last chance, because after all he was suppose to be a replacement for Pisani.
Where did I say that the posters here are right? In fact many just take the most popular view at the time and run with it. It is a classic mob mentality.

But for Penner, it was pretty well a mutual hate for almost everyone on this board. He was hated more than Horcoff!

People just don't like to admit they were wrong.

hockeyaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 11:25 AM
doormat247

I am a supporter of Horcoff. Not crazy about his contract, but I do like how he plays and his effort can never be questioned.

*I just want to put this here so I'm not a hypocrit when I say I was a Horcoff supporter even when he was hated*

I remember when Souray and Moreau were hurt two years ago when everyone wanted to annoint Horcoff as the captain. We are a fickle bunch, and everyone will be on the bandwagon for any player when they get hot.

We're all on the Penner bandwagon now...me included...hopefully he can keep it up.

doormat247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 11:26 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Where did I say that the posters here are right? In fact many just take the most popular view at the time and run with it. It is a classic mob mentality.

But for Penner, it was pretty well a mutual hate for almost everyone on this board. He was hated more than Horcoff!

Just remember I said give Pouilot another chance

Old
12-11-2009, 11:33 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
I can honestly say that Storts wasn't a favorite of mine when he broke in but his game has grown on me. JFJ on the other hand I've always liked.
I was the opposite. I always liked Storts, but grew tired of JFJ. I was impressed by his few games last season and went into the offseason realizing that we need players with his size. Hopefully his skill set contiinues to grow and I tihnk JFJ is startign to realize the type of role he is to play and is learning with every game how to better use his size.

Same is for Pouliot, I gave up on this kid after consistently seeing him fail. I am in support of moving this kid if for a significant upgrade(which probably isn't possibly). So I look at the roster and see that we have Stortini playing 4th line center and see an opportunity for Pouliot to come in and make a difference. If the kid has finally gotten the message on how to be an effective NHLer he will succeed. The Oilers might as well give him a chance once he is healthy because there is no harm in trying him out there. If he fails yet again and doesn't seem to ahve made any progress then by all means ship him out.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 12:05 PM
Ramrod
Happily outscoring

At the start of the year my prof asked who thought Penner was a good player. I was the only person in a class of 60+ to put up my hand. He asked the question a few weeks ago and 3/4 of the people put up their hands. Fickle fans...

Ramrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 12:07 PM
battlegoon

I am now, I was one of the many that wanted the Heatley trade to go through just so we could get rid of Penner. Im kinda happy the trade didnt go down now, especially since we also got to keep Smid (arguably our best defenseman this season but it would be tough to argue that with Visnovskys play).

battlegoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 12:11 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 1000
as for the poll--I am waiting to see if Penner can put together a full season before I ignore the 160 games he played before this season to give him a pat on the back and as for all those people who say they have always been a supporter of him--gotta call BS on that

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 12:14 PM
NotBad*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
as for the poll--I am waiting to see if Penner can put together a full season before I ignore the 160 games he played before this season to give him a pat on the back and as for all those people who say they have always been a supporter of him--gotta call BS on that
Ana doesnt count?

NotBad* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 12:19 PM
deanmoriarty

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBelle View Post
Nice little post by BDHS here. I love Lubo too

deanmoriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 12:20 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Ana doesnt count?
we are talking about his days with the oilers.

He has matched his goal total for last season and 5 more pts matches his pts total

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 12:30 PM
NotBad*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
we are talking about his days with the oilers.

He has matched his goal total for last season and 5 more pts matches his pts total
Uh yeah ok that makes sense, Ignore his past 3 seasons as a pro

NotBad* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 12:43 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Uh yeah ok that makes sense, Ignore his past 3 seasons as a pro
I don't know most people don't count Souray's first 6 seasons of his career they just assume he as always been great.

Old
12-11-2009, 12:49 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 7000
Not comfortable with the "supporter" label. I cant get the cup visions out of my head. I have never supported the cheese burger label, and thought that he was ridden unfairly by the pseudo coach that shall not be named. I love his game this year but I think he grows tired of carrying around a 20yr old sack of potatoes every game. Gagner needs to be demoted again until he gets his competitive fire back. Go Penzilla!

I am the Liquor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 01:02 PM
theoil

Quote:

I agree with the last sentence completely.

That said it is also true that people are quicker to complain than they are to compliment so when a player is not 'putting up the numbers' that are expected the rage on this board boils pretty quickly.

If you add in the religious zealotry that accompanies the posting of many here (particulary upon returning from quick visits to the shrines of certain blogs) with their adulation of number crunching as the be all of understanding this sport it is not hard to understand why those who supported Penner in the past were reluctant to speak up around here.

So while I agree with you that there are faulty memories (cough, cough) and outright fib telling I have no problem with the idea that most fans support their team's players through good and bad and simply remain silent when the (shall we say) more vociferous preach from on high.

Just saying.

theoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 01:13 PM
Boilers*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilers View Post
I loved the Heatley deal not only for the chance to get Dany, but getting that horrible contract of Penners off the books. I hated getting rid of Smid and Cogliano but it was a price I was willing to accept. I was ever so wrong and happy to admit it.
Well, at least you're honest. The rest of the people here seems to want to be right. Either about their perceptions of Penner or the fanbase in general who in all honesty didn't like him. I suppose it feeds the fragile ego. They suck buddy, you e-rule.

Boilers* is offline   Reply With Quote