HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

12/11/09 Are you a Penner supporter?

View Poll Results: Are you a Penner supporter?
always was 67 48.91%
i am now! 42 30.66%
Warming up to the boy 16 11.68%
He still needs work 6 4.38%
i can't stand him 2 1.46%
Other, please explain 4 2.92%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-11-2009, 01:16 PM
Bryanbryoil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
No comment.
You're coming around to like the big fella now though aren't you Mario? I always try to see potential in players, albeit they don't always reach it. That said I loved the kids game when we played Anaheim in '05-06. I was very happy that we got him when we did, and I'm glad that he's finally becoming the player that I had hoped that he'd be.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 01:17 PM
blackcoffee

There seems to be a lot of people lying in this poll...

blackcoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 01:19 PM
theoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcoffee View Post
Good thing people never do that in political polls.
Otherwise how would our governments know what to do?

theoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 01:24 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

I can't stand Penner. The Oilers need to trade his expensive ass.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 01:26 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
I can't stand Penner. The Oilers need to trade his expensive ass.
That is so last year

hockeyaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 01:28 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyaddict101 View Post
That is so last year

Sorry you're right. I meant to say I have been a huge Penner booster since this kid first put on skates.

Old
12-11-2009, 01:30 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Sorry you're right. I meant to say I have been a huge Penner booster since this kid first put on skates.

Me too really!

Old
12-11-2009, 01:31 PM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Quote:

Me too really!

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 01:31 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Where did I say that the posters here are right? In fact many just take the most popular view at the time and run with it. It is a classic mob mentality.

But for Penner, it was pretty well a mutual hate for almost everyone on this board. He was hated more than Horcoff!

People just don't like to admit they were wrong.

Using hate is a pretty strong word (and sooo "negative"), but count me in the group that would have traded him away. Not because I didn't think he had the skills and potential, but like most, I didn't think he'd ever want or care to use it, at least in Edmonton. There's nothing that pisses me off more than seeing talent wasted. I'm glad the guy has had a revelation and decided to put the work in going forward. This is the Penner I really expected to see when we first signed him.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 01:32 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:

Me too really!
I actually tied his first pair of skates for him and to this day Penner pays me a dollar from every cheque that he receives. However, I don't claim this on my taxes but please don't say anything to anyone.

Old
12-11-2009, 01:34 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
Using hate is a pretty strong word (and sooo "negative"), but count me in the group that would have traded him away. Not because I didn't think he had the skills and potential, but like most, I didn't think he'd ever want or care to use it, at least in Edmonton. There's nothing that pisses me off more than seeing talent wasted. I'm glad the guy has had a revelation and decided to put the work in going forward. This is the Penner I really expected to see when we first signed him.
That is a fair statement. That is what made me angry as well.

Old
12-11-2009, 01:35 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
I actually tied his first pair of skates for him and to this day Penner pays me a dollar from every cheque that he receives. However, I don't claim this on my taxes but please don't say anything to anyone.
A dollar. Cheap bas......

You should hold out.

Old
12-11-2009, 01:38 PM
Musicman798

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Not comfortable with the "supporter" label. I cant get the cup visions out of my head. I have never supported the cheese burger label, and thought that he was ridden unfairly by the pseudo coach that shall not be named. I love his game this year but I think he grows tired of carrying around a 20yr old sack of potatoes every game. Gagner needs to be demoted again until he gets his competitive fire back. Go Penzilla!
This. Gagner should move down and we should see:

Penner-Brule-Nilsson or,
Penner-Cogliano-Brule right now in my opinion. A couple guys who have been putting in serious efforts recently

Musicman798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 01:41 PM
Boilers*

Quote:
Pfft, like... who are we gonna tell? Replacement is the only one I know of who used to be a government worker and like.. really the guy isn't gonna blab. Wait. Ok. He might but who's gonna trust his sorry ass? They'll read that he's a Torres fan and be all like " Guy does drugs, obviously. Raffi's momma don't even go that far to defend the guy. We can't trust him. The story won't hold water in court, and once the defence gets ahold of his computer transcripts on HF, we's broken shi-ite muslim-style. Reimer you lucky-assed sum*****".

Boilers* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 01:49 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilers View Post
Pfft, like... who are we gonna tell? Replacement is the only one I know of who used to be a government worker and like.. really the guy isn't gonna blab. Wait. Ok. He might but who's gonna trust his sorry ass? They'll read that he's a Torres fan and be all like " Guy does drugs, obviously. Raffi's momma don't even go that far to defend the guy. We can't trust him. The story won't hold water in court, and once the defence gets ahold of his computer transcripts on HF, we's broken shi-ite muslim-style. Reimer you lucky-assed sum*****".
Word malacka!!

Old
12-11-2009, 01:49 PM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

Quote:
I would like to say I never once doubted Penner, Smid, or Nilsson!

2 for 3 so far.....

Though I never doubted Salmelinian or Semenov either.... or Cigar... or David Oliver... you get the point.

Valic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 01:51 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valic View Post

2 for 3 so far.....

Though I never doubted Salmelinian or Semenov either.... or Cigar... or David Oliver... you get the point.
I like Salmelinian he is a very useful 4th line forward on NHL 08.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 01:51 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valic View Post

2 for 3 so far.....

So basically you're saying you don't doubt any Oiler? Did you hold high hope for Boulerice?

Old
12-11-2009, 01:53 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I like Salmelinian he is a very useful 4th line forward on NHL 08.
Yep, he won teh calder trophy in my season. Had 50+ goals playing on the 4th line and and 1st line penalty kill. Of the 50+ goals or so I think 99% of them were breakaways.

Old
12-11-2009, 01:53 PM
Boilers*

Quote:
So basically you're saying you don't doubt any Oiler? Did you hold high hope for Boulerice?
I ate a Bowl-o'-rice once. It's not recomended, but y'know, there's..it had it's moments. A little Soya and things could be good, mayhaps.

Boilers* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 01:56 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 350
Quote:
Yep, he won teh calder trophy in my season. Had 50+ goals playing on the 4th line and and 1st line penalty kill. Of the 50+ goals or so I think 99% of them were breakaways.
He had amazing speed although sometimes when he shot the puck he would miss by about 5 feet. I guess that is what happens when the only attributes that he had were speed and acceration.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 01:59 PM
anjoo

Send a message via MSN to anjoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
I was honestly one of the few that had it the other way around. 4 first round picks is a steep price to pay for anyone not named Crosby, Malkin, or Ovechkin.
It's funny cause Burkie was dead on with his assessment of Lowe that summer...
I loved the move at the time but looking back in hindsight - what a relief....

anjoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 02:38 PM
Jet
Big Ben

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBelle View Post
ok, so when the offer sheet got extended to Penner after the Nylander incident, this girl was tickled pink! When i first heard Dustin's interview after the time had expired and he was an Oiler he sounded so genuine, so grateful to have a chance to playin Edmonton where they thought that he was worth something and where he could be a great player... well I was even more excited. I listened at my desk at work and my ear to ear grin just kept getting biggere and bigger. His first season i chalked it up to nerves and high expectations. I knew that next season would be better. Ultimately I always knew that he could be a great player for us and just patiently awaited his development.

But, I have to admit that I am still just a silly girl. Living in Calgary and openly being an Oilers fan I have to defend the team, the coaching staff, management and results to anyone who sees my heart that's sitting right there on my sleeve. i still defend Moreau and beleive that he is doing some good. This is the team that I have to love and cheer for, and there is nothing I can do but support them is the way I look at it. I know that there is the arguement that as a fan if I don't let the management know my displeasure nothing will change. Maybe if I was a wealthy lawyer or doctor I could have an affect, but I'm not. So, I'll keep cheering away for every man who gets to wear the Oilers uniform on NHL ice, no matter what.
Here here bb! I agree and feel the same (except the being a girl part)

I was shocked to see o sullivans defensive numbers. I knew he had been bad but he is just killing us right now
Posted via Mobile Device

Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 02:43 PM
Homesick

vCash: 50
Quote:
and blind homers.

I cant see after the past 2 seasons how a majority of the users on HFOil could possibly say they always believed in Penner.

I'm not completely sold that he'll be able to keep up this level of play but in the meantime I will enjoy it

Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 03:06 PM
RKD

I think in order to vote in this poll you need to provide historic evidence.

But I voted that I've always been a supporter. When he signed the OS and through his first season I could see the potential in his game. Assuming he could put it all together, what's not to like? Big body, soft hands, drives the net well...it all seemed so good.

Of course last year, I (like everyone else) lost a lot of confidence in his game. It was sort of how I feel about Nilsson now - all the tools but not the mental drive that you need to be successful in this league. Of course he and MacT had some issues, but at least half of his poor season last year was attributed to himself.

Of course, no one saw this season coming. What I saw in him earlier was good, but I was ultimately hoping for a 30-30-60 kind of season from him. Even after the "drop-off" of the first ten games, he's on pace for roughly 67 points. I'm A-okay with that!

I just hope that he can keep this up. It's a pleasure watching him play and this is the kind of player you want on your team.