HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Smitty on the Block?

Closed Thread

Old
12-11-2009, 03:20 PM
IdealisticSniper

vCash: 500
Smitty on the Block?

Found this on Rawcharge.com

http://www.rawcharge.com/2009/12/11/...eing#storyjump

Quote:

According to another organizational source, the Tampa Bay Lightning, ready to hand their starting job to Antero Niittymaki, contacted the Flyers to gauge their interest in goalie Mike Smith.

Old
12-11-2009, 03:25 PM
Off Center

smitty for a top 6 forward, and one of our norfolk goalies called up?

it's really alarming how smitty has regressed....his puck handling looked like a real weapon when he got here, and then last season he was stopping everything. suddenly everything he does feels like a liability....

still a big step to move on from smitty, who could just be in a bad slump....either that or a vote of confidence for our goalie pipeline in the minors

Old
12-11-2009, 03:33 PM
TheDaysOf 04
Rated [SFY]

I have a hard time believing this. Niitty has been good this year but there's no reason to believe he could be anything more than a back up. If that wasn't the case, then there would be no reason for Philly to be desperate enough to bring Emery back to the NHL. As for our goalie depth with Janus, Tokarski, Helenius, and Zador, not one of them has even suited up for a regular NHL game.(except for Riku, who has played less than 1 period with less than 7 minutes of ice time)

Last edited by TheDaysOf 04: 12-11-2009 at 03:48 PM.
Old
12-11-2009, 03:37 PM
CSampson

Trade Smitty? And then what? Nitty/no one in the system ready. Don't see this happening. Plus once they eliminate the trapezoid next season, Smitty will be a weapon.

Old
12-11-2009, 03:47 PM
X0X0A0
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 423
And what happens when Niitty signs with another team this offseason?
Posted via Mobile Device

Old
12-11-2009, 03:56 PM
TheDaysOf 04
Rated [SFY]

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Want Revenge View Post
And what happens when Niitty signs with another team this offseason?
Posted via Mobile Device
The free agent list of goaltenders this off season is terrible too, so unless they can persuade Ramo to come back to be the starter, we'd either have to trade for one or hope that the best rookie goalie in camp can have a Mason like year. Their best option is to stick with Smith.

Old
12-11-2009, 04:19 PM
Maelmoor
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Maelmoor
Im also worried for Niitys injury record, I hope we stick with Smith.

12-11-2009, 04:23 PM
IdealisticSniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSampson View Post
Trade Smitty? And then what? Nitty/no one in the system ready. Don't see this happening. Plus once they eliminate the trapezoid next season, Smitty will be a weapon.
They already said the trapezoid is staying.

Old
12-11-2009, 04:27 PM
D1az

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealisticSniper View Post
For as long as Brodeur is in the league?

Old
12-11-2009, 05:07 PM
LightningStrikes
Klutcherov

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSampson View Post
my thought exactly.

Old
12-11-2009, 05:40 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

This article is a bit ridiculous.

Old
12-11-2009, 06:17 PM
gobolt7

This sounds more like Philly calling about Smith, and us asking for the world just to get them off the phone. That makes alot more sense then Lawton actively shopping Smith right now. If the thought exist that you want to move Smith (which it shouldnt at all) then the first time you even consideer it is over the summer, not now.

Old
12-11-2009, 07:23 PM
MrMcGz

Hmm, interesting. Smitty deserves the benefit of the doubt here, coming off his second concussion, and not playing for 8 months. He's got the skills, just needs to buckle down and stop letting in the softies. If the D didn't collapse every time or hang him out to dry on numerous occasions, his stats and this team's win/loss record would be much improved. Make no mistake, he is the number one on this team and at a good price too.

Old
12-11-2009, 09:00 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

He is NOT getting traded anytime soon, I'll bet my effing house on it, UNLESS, we get the most insane overpayment in the last 5 years. We have good young talent in our system, Ramo, Helenius, Tokarski, but none of them are within 3 years of playing regularly in the NHL.

Old
12-11-2009, 09:37 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by donGjohnson View Post
He is NOT getting traded anytime soon, I'll bet my effing house on it, UNLESS, we get the most insane overpayment in the last 5 years. We have good young talent in our system, Ramo, Helenius, Tokarski, but none of them are within 3 years of playing regularly in the NHL.
Ramo is NHL ready for him, Helenius will probably backup next year.

Old
12-11-2009, 11:53 PM
Bolt32

Talking with Tom Kurves at the training camp I got the impression that Tokarski was being fast tracked.....This doesn't come as a surprise for me. Nitty has out played Smith this far, due to injuries or what ever other reason. I just hope if we do pull the trigger that we get something extrodinary in return. JVR for example.....

Old
12-12-2009, 12:22 AM
CSampson

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealisticSniper View Post
Yeah for this season, but IIRC on the Hotstove on CBC, there is a good chance in the next offseason or two that it will be eliminated to help stop D injuries. I hope it happens.

Old
12-12-2009, 09:54 AM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolt32 View Post
Talking with Tom Kurves at the training camp I got the impression that Tokarski was being fast tracked.....This doesn't come as a surprise for me. Nitty has out played Smith this far, due to injuries or what ever other reason. I just hope if we do pull the trigger that we get something extrodinary in return. JVR for example.....
No way in hell we get JVR for someone like Smith, but if we did i'd have to buy Lawton a beer and a Dan Boyle hat.

Old
12-12-2009, 09:56 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobsled Gainey View Post
No way in hell we get JVR for someone like Smith, but if we did i'd have to buy Lawton a beer and a Dan Boyle hat.
Even getting JVR straight up for Smitty, I pass. Smitty has a lot of potential and could mature into a top 10 NHL starter year in and out, compare that with a top 6 forward, who will turn out to be a poor man's Bobby Ryan... If they threw in something else, a good prospect, I'd for sure take it but.

Old
12-12-2009, 10:03 AM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Even getting JVR straight up for Smitty, I pass. Smitty has a lot of potential and could mature into a top 10 NHL starter year in and out, compare that with a top 6 forward, who will turn out to be a poor man's Bobby Ryan... If they threw in something else, a good prospect, I'd for sure take it but.
Uh, no. JVR is going to be one hell of a goalscorer from the wing who is cost controlled for a little while longer and that doesn't have a big injury history over our goaltender who has seemed to lose side-to-side movement speed and is having trouble finding the puck in traffic after two concussions? Think about that a bit.

Old
12-12-2009, 10:48 AM
Maelmoor
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Maelmoor
JVR against Smitty? I would do it in a heartbeat but there is no chance in hell Flyers does that trade.

Old
12-12-2009, 12:36 PM
Vasilevskiy
I've many surnames

vCash: 900
JVR for Smith.

I'd do it any day of the week, hell I'd even add a pick/prospect

Old
12-12-2009, 06:31 PM
Mr Underhill

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/phi091211.html

Quote:
Meanwhile, the Delaware County Daily Times reports the Flyers were offered goalie Mike Smith from Tampa Bay, but quickly rejected the idea after the Lightning asked for Jaroslav or James van Riemsdyk in return.
Too bad the Lightning didnt have enough hindsight to pull this trade off last year or at the beginning of the season. That would have been unreal...

Old
12-12-2009, 08:31 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

This franchise rarely buys high and sells low, Lawton knows better. And I personally think JVR is overrated. You have to consider the relative values, a guy who's max ceiling is a 70-80 pt scorer but will never be a game breaker, that's nice, but Smitty has a top 10 starting goalie ceiling. He hasn't been terrible tracking the puck lately, I see no hard evidence that this prior injuries are going to be long-lasting or are even affecting him substantially right now. This is a case of everyone having their priorities wrong, yeah, we have plenty of depth in the minors but none of them are within 2 years of being legit starters.

Smitty will be fine, he just needs to work some things out. Oh, and our defense hasn't exactly been impressive either.

Old
12-12-2009, 08:58 PM
LightningStrikes
Klutcherov

Quote:
Oh, and our defense hasn't exactly been impressive either.
i agree 100%. sure, a goalie has to steal one or another. but not even close to .50 of the goals lately can be blamed on smitty nor nitty.

Closed Thread