HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Yo, Habs, yo!

Old
12-12-2009, 04:05 PM
Mathletic

vCash: 500
Yo, Habs, yo!

If anyone cares, article published by Laval University professor Richelieu on the sales of hip hop colthing

http://www.aufil.ulaval.ca/articles/habs-21771.html

... google translation ...

André Richelieu: "The Toronto Maple Leafs hockey have been proactive in deciding to launch a clothing line of hip-hop style and sell them, not to shop at the Air Canada Center, but in a store on Yonge Street specializes in hip-hop clothing, so as to avoid contact between the fans of the Leafs and the hip-hop clientele.

According to André Richelieu, sell derivatives style hip-hop can be a profitable strategy for a professional sports team, but under certain conditions

By Yvon Larose

The baseball club of the Montreal Expos in vain to have ceased operations five years ago, the popularity of derivatives its logo dress blue, white, red, ranging from caps, t-shirts, cotton fleeced, or even earrings, short product associated with hip-hop, has never been greater. According to André Richelieu, professor of marketing, this phenomenon gives an idea of the power recovery of hip-hop. "The rappers, says he joined the mass consumers as much as fans of hip-hop. Both want the other products that allow them to differentiate. A brand whose team is more like the Expos, who is not American and whose logo is original, has real power of attraction. "

In 2008, the journal International Journal of Sport Management & Marketing has published an article co-authored by Professor Barbara Manivet Richelieu and then MBA student in marketing at the University Laval. In this article, the authors studied the market potential as well as risks to avoid and strategies to be adopted by professional sports teams willing to invest the derivatives market-style hip-hop. In 2009, this article has been selected for inclusion in New Sport Management Reader. "It is estimated that clothing and hip-hop represent only the United States a market of nearly $ 15 billion per year," says André Richelieu.

Everything is in use
The world of hip-hop is a street culture characterized, among other things, rap, graffiti and break dance. The values of hip-hop, as rebellion and rejection of social conventions, violence and sexism have nothing to do with the values of excellence, fair play, camaraderie and the 'community engagement carried by team sports. Nevertheless, it is possible for a professional sports team to diversify its range of products by opening up to hip-hop style. "At the same time, this may involve risk of loss of prestige due to a dilution of the brand, says Professor Richelieu. For example, in 2003, the official shop of the Montreal Canadiens selling caps and fluorescent yellow fluorescent orange adorned logo, black team. Shunned by customers, these products have been quickly removed from the shelves. There was like an illegitimate use of the mark. "

The researchers recommend that sports teams who market products and conventional products hip-hop to be careful not to alienate the sports fans by putting them in contact in the same shop with the hip-hop clientele. "It could lead to a confusion of values of the team and a detachment from traditional supporters," says André Richelieu. This emphasizes the importance of establishing lines of products that are really different depending on the clientele. "This is what including New York Yankees baseball, says he. This organization involves personalities that resonate in the middle hip-hop as developers of designer clothes. "

http://www.inderscience.com/storage/...2118710536.pdf

Abstract: Hip Hop represents an important development potential for
professional sports teams and equipment makers. This article examines the
literature on diffusion and adoption processes, which stresses the ongoing
adjustment of Hip Hop culture, the challenges, opportunities and
constraint factors a professional sports team or an equipment maker should
consider when approaching Hip Hop. Hip Hop requires authenticity and
preaches different values from those of the sports fans. Therefore, we
recommend a bipolar strategy with a set of operational actions directed at Hip
Hop, on one hand, and team core fans on the other, together with a ‘buffer’
zone for the mass market.

Mathletic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 04:08 PM
overlords
Hfboards

stopped reading at 'hip hop requires authenticity'

just kidding

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 04:11 PM
Rockomax

La capsule sportive understood that long ago I guess, that's almost the only clothes they got(ie. medium sizes are actually XXL and that's the smallest size they have, almost all the caps are the same model as baseball caps)...anyways I hate that

Rockomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 05:07 PM
habtastic

I see plenty of Habs merchandise in all forms including the so-called hip-hop format (hats mostly), but T-shirts as well. Everyone is probably familiar with all the sports apparel shops around St. Catherines between atwater and pretty much all the way down to University. There was this one T-shirt I will always regret buying. I'm not by any means in to "hip-hop" style or whatever, but this was a black well-cut shirt with a gold CH. So awesome. I think they probably didn't have my size cuz in MTL every store runs out of small/medium so fast. I did get a Pleky shirt though which I wear all the time on campus in Waterloo, especially the day after we beat the Leafs. Anyway, I would totally wear that black shirt to clubs, it was sweet.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 05:11 PM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockomax View Post
La capsule sportive understood that long ago I guess, that's almost the only clothes they got(ie. medium sizes are actually XXL and that's the smallest size they have, almost all the caps are the same model as baseball caps)...anyways I hate that
Yeah CS def has that kind of stuff and I hate it too. It does sell, though. Nothing beats wearing a jersey during the playoffs. What a feeling. I just got a sweet deal for an authentic (the $300+ ones) jersey. Got it in red and with Markov sewing. Will expect to have to get an A sewed on soon.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 05:11 PM
Fire Brunet*

cliffs?

Fire Brunet* is offline   Reply With Quote