HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Team defense

Old
12-09-2009, 10:35 PM
Heaton
#disapointment

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Team defense

With Stuart's regular season renaissance of sorts the Wings teams defense is being overshadowed (and perhaps rightfully so) by the Wings woeful offense.

As it stands right now the Wings are top 10 in GA and continue to creep up the PK ranks. They sit at 19th in PKing and have killed the last 20(?) penalties I believe.

I'm not sure how much it'll matter if the Wings continue to lose players to injuries and the Wings stars continue to struggle to find that consistent offensive game. But it is nice to see that the Wings current personnel can still play a respectable defensive system. I guess if there's one thing better than last regular season it's definitely team defense.

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 10:41 PM
detredWINgs

I was just thinking about this as well. They've really looked a lot better defensively of late. I'm not sure if its because they're simply finding their stride, if its because Howard is playing a solid game, or if its because they know they're having trouble scoring and have thus buckled down, but whatever it is, I like it.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I have no problem with this team getting by on 2-1 wins as long as the effort is there.

detredWINgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 10:52 PM
Yemack

One of the reason wings are getting better defensively is that they sacrificed offence to play better defence. Yeah if wings were not going up on GA chart or PK, it would be really depressing.

I think this team is trying to put importance on defence and try to gamble a bit on offence until we get some bodies back.

Yemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 11:21 PM
sarcastro

vCash: 663
They're playing better defense because they're dressing 9 or 10 defensive forwards every night. This also explains why the offense is so terrible right now.

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 12:20 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Team defense was never a problem.
Yeah, the numbers were mediocre last year. But that was a lack of intensity in the regular season. Truth is, when it mattered, our team defense was great.
When push game to shove, our offense went cold. And that was with Hossa and Hudler and Franzen and Filppula and Kronwall.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 07:17 AM
Heaton
#disapointment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
Team defense was never a problem.
Yeah, the numbers were mediocre last year. But that was a lack of intensity in the regular season. Truth is, when it mattered, our team defense was great.
When push game to shove, our offense went cold. And that was with Hossa and Hudler and Franzen and Filppula and Kronwall.
The PK still sucked in the playoffs even though the team tightened up. I think this team having a more concerted effort from start to finish will result in better performances, if they make it.

Old
12-12-2009, 10:07 PM
Heaton
#disapointment

9th in GAA
17th in PK