HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

If he can see it, he can stop it...

Closed Thread

Old
04-16-2004, 12:06 PM
ehc73

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to ehc73
If he can see it, he can stop it...

http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/dave_hodge.asp

Interesting take on the skill of today's goaltending compared to eras past. Before it was the standup goaltender, using pads that soaked up water like a sponge, saying a prayer every time someone like Lafleur or Gretzky came flying down the wing. Now, perimeter shots are almost guaranteed saves if the goalie can see it. The answer? Screen the goalie or crash the net. The former leads to players taking considerable punishment in front as d-men mark their area. The latter leads to goalies retaliating, d-men confronting the trespassers of the blue ice and refs trying to sort out such messes when scrums occur as a result.

Hodge asks someone to change the game so that "if the he can see it, he might not stop it, so go ahead and shoot it." What exactly can be done to make this happen?(other than making goalies free game)

Old
04-16-2004, 12:41 PM
Douggy

Personally, I think 'the good old days' were a joke. You look at some of the 'good' goals gretzky scorred in his day, and they are laughable. I never played a game above pee-wee house-league and *I* could score on those guys.

I like the game the way it is. 99% of the time somebody scores, it is either because they worked really hard or they made a really nice play. Lets keep it that way.

Old
04-16-2004, 01:32 PM
DBC Tweeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douggy
Personally, I think 'the good old days' were a joke. You look at some of the 'good' goals gretzky scorred in his day, and they are laughable. I never played a game above pee-wee house-league and *I* could score on those guys.

I like the game the way it is. 99% of the time somebody scores, it is either because they worked really hard or they made a really nice play. Lets keep it that way.
Great post, I whole-heartedly agree

Old
04-16-2004, 03:04 PM
Coburnfan05

Quote:

Yeah all the goals today are beauties...back in the day they shot the puck in the net, now they shoot the puck at the net crash and bang and score on a rebound. Highlight reel definetly.

And if you score more then 800 goals I am sure there bound to be a few weak ones.

Last edited by Coburnfan05: 04-16-2004 at 03:19 PM.
Old
04-16-2004, 03:07 PM
ObeySteve
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to ObeySteve
The quality of goalies may be up now, but the quality of forwards and scorers surely is way, way down.

Old
04-16-2004, 03:10 PM
Luigi Lemieux

Quote:

we need to find a nice medium. the 80s goalies were terrible, and i don't think we should be striving for 80s level play. how about early to mid 90s hockey? in my opinion that's the best hockey i've seen. great goalies (roy, brodeur, belfour, hasek, richter, etc), great scoring (lemieux, selanne, mogilny, jagr, bure, multiple 100 pt players), and great tempo.

we need to get back to a 1993-96 level, not an 80s one. one way is to stop allowing SO much clutching and grabbing. it's absolutely ridiculous. watch some games from even 10 years ago, and they hardly take both hands off their sticks. now it's take one hand off and use it to wrap around another forward all game long.

Old
04-16-2004, 03:29 PM
Strizzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObeySteve
The quality of goalies may be up now, but the quality of forwards and scorers surely is way, way down.
I don't buy this. Sure these old guys looked better, they had it much easier to score. And that's not only because of the goalies being better, but also because of the teams playing better defense. There are a few scorers with extremely sick skills nowadays, it's not worse that in the past.

Old
04-16-2004, 03:33 PM
superjonathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Metamorphosis
we need to find a nice medium. the 80s goalies were terrible, and i don't think we should be striving for 80s level play. how about early to mid 90s hockey? in my opinion that's the best hockey i've seen. great goalies (roy, brodeur, belfour, hasek, richter, etc), great scoring (lemieux, selanne, mogilny, jagr, bure, multiple 100 pt players), and great tempo.

we need to get back to a 1993-96 level, not an 80s one. one way is to stop allowing SO much clutching and grabbing. it's absolutely ridiculous. watch some games from even 10 years ago, and they hardly take both hands off their sticks. now it's take one hand off and use it to wrap around another forward all game long.
mario, is that you?

Closed Thread