HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brian Lee Headed Our Way?

Old
12-11-2009, 09:49 PM
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."

vCash: 500
Brian Lee Headed Our Way?

Started with this from Puck-Rakers about GMSH talking to Ottawa about Brian Lee: http://blog.dispatch.com/cbj/2009/12...t_in_lee.shtml

...and a blogger in Ottawa according to another thread said one rumored deal on their end was:

To CBJ: Lee, OTT 2nd, Winchester/Shannon
To OTT: Filatov

So...what say you? Is a fairly recent first rounder, a pick & Jesse Winchester or Ryan Shannon enough out of the Ottawa system to justify moving Nik-Fil-A?

CBJSprague24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 09:51 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
That'd be enough, Lee can step in right away and play, he's solid on both ends of the ice. He got screwed in Ottawa because he's on a 2 way contract and he's easy to send up and down. Also Bryan Murray didn't draft him so he'd rather play Erik Karlsson and leave Lee in Binghamton. Lee would be a great addition to the Jackets. We won't miss Filatov as much if we did this deal.

Timeless Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 09:52 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJSprague24 View Post
Started with this from Puck-Rakers about GMSH talking to Ottawa about Brian Lee: http://blog.dispatch.com/cbj/2009/12...t_in_lee.shtml

...and a blogger in Ottawa according to another thread said one rumored deal on their end was:

To CBJ: Lee, OTT 2nd, Winchester/Shannon
To OTT: Filatov

So...what say you? Is a fairly recent first rounder, a pick & Jesse Winchester or Ryan Shannon enough out of the Ottawa system to justify moving Nik-Fil-A?
I think this is just some rumor-mongering because of the team's slide and fans calling for some changes...

I'd hate to move Filatov, but to move him this early signifies to me that they have either very little or no hope he will return to the Jackets as long as Hitchcock is here...

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 09:53 PM
crazy Kassian
The North Remembers

Lee would be good in Columbus, but Filatov can demand more in my opinion... I don't think you guys would have to give up a lot for Lee

crazy Kassian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 09:57 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgson View Post
Lee would be good in Columbus, but Filatov can demand more in my opinion... I don't think you guys would have to give up a lot for Lee
Howson may see that the longer Filatov stays in Russia, even if he continues to say he wants to come back to North America, the less return he is going to get for him...

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 10:03 PM
EdwardG
North!

Why would you give up one of the best prospects in the world outside the NHL for that return? You finally draft a guy who could become a GREAT player and you let him go? No. I think it's ridiculous.

EdwardG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 10:07 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Lee is a good prospect player but he is to young to help our team right now, we are already struggling with young players even without Filatov. Lee was a high pick but if Ottawa wants to move him there is a reason...

If Howson trades a future offensive scoring star (Filatov) based on Hitchcock's opinion he is as nuts as Hitchcock. Any bonified NHL professional will tell you players that can score are coveted.

If this trade comes down it will extend Jacket losing seasons for years... stop with the Hitchcock frame of mind-we need scoring forwards to save this franchise.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 10:08 PM
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardG View Post
Why would you give up one of the best prospects in the world outside the NHL for that return? You finally draft a guy who could become a GREAT player and you let him go? No. I think it's ridiculous.
I can see getting Lee, I cant see Filatov being involved. I think Howson will see what happens next fall regarding NF.

Jaxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 10:14 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardG View Post
It's ridiculous to keep him and lose him for nothing if he's never going to play for Hitchcock. Trading him is actually smart asset management.

Old
12-11-2009, 10:20 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
It's ridiculous to keep him and lose him for nothing if he's never going to play for Hitchcock. Trading him is actually smart asset management.
So how long do think Hitchcock will be our head coach? Five years? Ten years?

Filatov could play for the Jackets as a star for 10 more years, and he would come cheap... But then again, we can continue to plug in veterans like Umberger, Vermette, Chimera, Modin and Phalsson to win that cup. Crazy.

Truth of the matter Timeless Winter Filatov should be playing as Jacket every night right now, we are losing anyway so why not play him for our freaking future!

Our future is being sacrificed by Hitchcock.

Last edited by Robert: 12-11-2009 at 10:28 PM.
Old
12-11-2009, 10:25 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
So how long do think Hitchcock will be our head coach? Five years? Ten years?

Filatov could play for the Jackets as a star for 10 more years, and he would come cheap... But then again, we can continue to plug in veterans like Umberger, Vermette, Chimera, Modin and Phalsson to win that cup. Crazy.
It's already been too long even if he's fired tomorrow. I don't necessarily want to trade Nikita, but it makes the most sense. You have an asset that still has value, the longer you keep him, the less his value gets. We have a glaring hole on defense that we can fill. If we can trade for a player we need without losing anyone that's currently on the 23 man roster that's a good trade, as long as the defenseman fits onto our team well of course and isn't making too much money. I've seen Lee many times and he'd be a great fit.

Old
12-11-2009, 10:33 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

Quote:
Truth of the matter Timeless Winter Filatov should be playing as Jacket every night right now, we are losing anyway so why not play him for our freaking future!

Our future is being sacrificed by Hitchcock.
I agree with that, he should be playing every night and he was not given a fair shot. I was sad he left and mad at Hitch. But if we're stuck with Hitch we might as well trade him, even if we don't wanna see him go.

Old
12-11-2009, 10:34 PM
The Mars Volchenkov
Everberg flow

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Quote:
Lee is a good prospect player but he is to young to help our team right now, we are already struggling with young players even without Filatov. Lee was a high pick but if Ottawa wants to move him there is a reason...
He hasn't gotten much of a fair shot in Ottawa. He's a more than capable NHL defenseman who just gets the shaft because he's got the two-way contract.

He's not a Murray guy, and that may be one reason why he's on the block, but he's also probably the Sens best bargaining chip in a trade, which is probably the biggest reason why they could move him. I hope he gets moved somewhere where he can play consistently, because all he needs is a team to give him a chance. He's a pretty big guy who just needs to get stronger. For his size, he can really skate well and he's got a good first pass and is very good positionally. He just needs to get stronger to improve his shot and physical game.

The Mars Volchenkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 10:39 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov View Post
He hasn't gotten much of a fair shot in Ottawa. He's a more than capable NHL defenseman who just gets the shaft because he's got the two-way contract.

He's not a Murray guy, and that may be one reason why he's on the block, but he's also probably the Sens best bargaining chip in a trade, which is probably the biggest reason why they could move him. I hope he gets moved somewhere where he can play consistently, because all he needs is a team to give him a chance. He's a pretty big guy who just needs to get stronger. For his size, he can really skate well and he's got a good first pass and is very good positionally. He just needs to get stronger to improve his shot and physical game.
Filatov has NOT played enough in Columbus to even say that-Hitchcock (imo) black balled the kid the day he was drafted. The Lee and Filatov situations are similar but different...

We are losing a superstar because the head coach doesn't like him-bogus.

Old
12-11-2009, 10:40 PM
The Mars Volchenkov
Everberg flow

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Quote:
Filatov has NOT played enough in Columbus to even say that-Hitchcock (imo) black balled the kid the day he was drafted. The Lee and Filatov situations are similar but different...

We are losing a superstar because the head coach doesn't like him-bogus.
I wasn't comparing the two, just explaining Lee's situation in Ottawa.

The Mars Volchenkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 10:48 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov View Post
I wasn't comparing the two, just explaining Lee's situation in Ottawa.
Noted, I added some emotionalism..., but truth imo.

Old
12-11-2009, 10:56 PM
Feicht

Send a message via AIM to Feicht
Ugh.

Hitchcock to Ottawa for two Easton sticks and an end to this jackassery (e5)

Feicht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 11:16 PM
Doug19

Isn't scoring forwards something the team doesn't need? I mean I'm pretty sure our offense has been pretty darn good this year. The thing that separates us from the elite teams is a good defense. Top to bottom our forward core can score with the best of teams, it's our defense that holds us back. If Filatov can bring us help on defense we would be stupid not to take it. Filatov hasn't proven that he is a superstar or a star or even a regular NHL player so to call him one is ludicrous. I want this team to build a winning culture now, not in 2-3 years when Filatov comes back to Columbus and "maybe" establishes himself. I'd rather Filatov be part of a deal for someone better than Lee but I wouldn't be sad if the trade brought back another high pick such as a 2nd rounder. Remember folks having multiple top 3 picks can be very valuable come trade deadline time to add that extra umph to your D roster.

Doug19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 11:24 PM
Pluckfur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feicht View Post
Ugh.

Howson to Ottawa for two Easton sticks and an end to this jackassery (e5)
Fixed it for you.

Pluckfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 11:32 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougRiffle View Post
Isn't scoring forwards something the team doesn't need? I mean I'm pretty sure our offense has been pretty darn good this year. The thing that separates us from the elite teams is a good defense. Top to bottom our forward core can score with the best of teams, it's our defense that holds us back. If Filatov can bring us help on defense we would be stupid not to take it. Filatov hasn't proven that he is a superstar or a star or even a regular NHL player so to call him one is ludicrous. I want this team to build a winning culture now, not in 2-3 years when Filatov comes back to Columbus and "maybe" establishes himself. I'd rather Filatov be part of a deal for someone better than Lee but I wouldn't be sad if the trade brought back another high pick such as a 2nd rounder. Remember folks having multiple top 3 picks can be very valuable come trade deadline time to add that extra umph to your D roster.
I can't back this up but even though we have goals on the stat sheet I don't believe we are really a scoring team... frankly, when guys like Torres, RJ and Chimera are scoring goals to win games we are in trouble..

Nash has had a good year and Stralman on the PP has helped in the goal scoring category. When we need a skilled scorer to get that winning goal we fall short (imo).

Old
12-11-2009, 11:35 PM
Doug19

I don't get why 18, 14, and 25 scoring goals is a bad thing? I mean we are a high scoring team now. 30 games of high scoring is to long of a time to be a fluke, I think. Scoring isn't the problem defense clearly is which is why we can't hold a lead. Not to mention Nash is now pulling out of his goal scoring funk and we should have another 15-20 games from now until he goes into another funk.

Old
12-11-2009, 11:42 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluckfur View Post
Fixed it for you.
No, the original post was just fine.

Old
12-11-2009, 11:44 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
I don't get why 18, 14, and 25 scoring goals is a bad thing? I mean we are a high scoring team now. 30 games of high scoring is to long of a time to be a fluke, I think. Scoring isn't the problem defense clearly is which is why we can't hold a lead. Not to mention Nash is now pulling out of his goal scoring funk and we should have another 15-20 games from now until he goes into another funk.
Lets see how the season plays out, not every team we play is going to settle for 1-2 or 2-3 games. If we had Brodeur I would think different, Hitchcock teams can be beat with skill and speed...you will see.

Old
12-11-2009, 11:47 PM
Pluckfur

Quote:
I can't back this up but even though we have goals on the stat sheet I don't believe we are really a scoring team... frankly, when guys like Torres, RJ and Chimera are scoring goals to win games we are in trouble..

Nash has had a good year and Stralman on the PP has helped in the goal scoring category. When we need a skilled scorer to get that winning goal we fall short (imo).
Quote:
I realize you two are Jacket fans ... so it's not really surprising that you apparently need to be reminded that defensemen - and not just skilled, undersized and overhyped wingers- are ALLOWED to score goals in the NHL.

Pluckfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 11:52 PM
Doug19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluckfur View Post
I realize you two are Jacket fans ... so it's not really surprising that you apparently need to be reminded that defensemen - and not just skilled, undersized and overhyped wingers- are ALLOWED to score goals in the NHL.
That is what I'm saying. We don't need Filatov to be a better team, we need better players on defense that can contribute not just on the power play or Tyutin's phantom assists.

Quote:
Lets see how the season plays out, not every team we play is going to settle for 1-2 or 2-3 games. If we had Brodeur I would think different, Hitchcock teams can be beat with skill and speed...you will see.
Which is why we need an upgraded defense.